    Anonymous Guest

    See"

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=BzluP0vL9m!-600455441?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=365646&is=REG
    Anonymous, Jan 23, 2005

  2. Anonymous

    Ken Guest

    "Anonymous" <> wrote in message news:aIFId.16845$ru.8953@fed1read07...
    > See"
    >
    > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=BzluP0vL9m!-600455441?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=365646&is=REG

    For a camera that expensive you would think it would at least come with an e-mail mode
    picture size option. Sheesh!
    Ken, Jan 23, 2005

  3. Anonymous

    Musty Guest

    "Anonymous" <> wrote in message
    > See"

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=BzluP0vL9m!-600455441?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=365646&is=REG

    $5K and a 1.5x FOV crop! Why oh why dont they put a bigger sensor in. Thats
    what you get for outsourcing the sensor to Sony (I am assuming they still
    get Sony sensors).

    Sorry couldn't resist. Flame away Nikonians!

    Would love to see noise performance vs the more expensive Canon 1Ds MkII.
    Musty, Jan 23, 2005
  4. Anonymous

    nellybly Guest

    In article <j3GId.14006$>, Ken
    <> wrote:

    > "Anonymous" <> wrote in message
    > > See"
    > >

    > > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=BzluP0vL9m!-60045
    > > 5441?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=365646&is=REG

    > For a camera that expensive you would think it would at least come with an
    > e-mail mode
    > picture size option. Sheesh!

    I hear that it makes really great "Curly Fries",though!
    NB

    nellybly, Jan 23, 2005
  5. Anonymous

    PhotoMan Guest

    "Anonymous" <> wrote in message
    > See"

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=BzluP0vL9m!-600455441?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=365646&is=REG

    Yup - Coming soon. It's been coming soon for six months.
    PhotoMan, Jan 23, 2005
  6. Anonymous

    C J Campbell Guest

    "Musty" <> wrote in message

    > "Anonymous" <> wrote in message
    > > See"

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=BzluP0vL9m!-600455441?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=365646&is=REG

    > $5K and a 1.5x FOV crop! Why oh why dont they put a bigger sensor in.

    Everything with a bigger sensor costs even more than that.
    C J Campbell, Jan 23, 2005
  7. Anonymous

    Confused Guest

    "PhotoMan" <> wrote:

    > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=BzluP0vL9m!-600455441?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=365646&is=REG
    >
    > Yup - Coming soon. It's been coming soon for six months.

    I saw a movie titled "Coming Soon" once... wish I hadn't...

    Jeff
    Confused, Jan 23, 2005
  8. Anonymous

    Confused Guest

    > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=BzluP0vL9m!-600455441?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=365646&is=REG

    Darned good thing is comes wit
    a "Battery Chamber Cover"...
    I was worried about that there
    particular feature... heh.

    Jeff
    Confused, Jan 23, 2005
  9. "C J Campbell" <> wrote:
    > "Musty" <> wrote:
    > > "Anonymous" <> wrote:

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=BzluP0vL9m!-600455441?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=365646&is=REG

    > > $5K and a 1.5x FOV crop! Why oh why dont they put a bigger sensor in.

    Because PJ, sports photographers, and voyeurs like the crop factor. It's not
    designed for Ansel Adams wannabes such as myself.

    My bet is that the noise levels will be too gross for any of those uses, all
    of which really like low noise at high ISOs. Stuffing 12MP into 16x24mm
    sounds like a really really bad idea. None of those uses really need 8MP,
    let alone 12.

    > Everything with a bigger sensor costs even more than that.

    The 1D mk2 (1.3x) is US$4,500. And a far better camera. Especially for those
    uses.

    By the way, Nikon's producing a limited edition rerelease of the Nikon SP
    (35mm full-frame film rangefinder). Only 2,300 units will be produced, and
    one will set you back US$6,900. Tax not included.

    So it looks to me that Nikon's complete lost it.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Jan 23, 2005
  10. Anonymous

    C J Campbell Guest

    > "C J Campbell" <> wrote:
    > > "Musty" <> wrote:
    > > > "Anonymous" <> wrote:

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=BzluP0vL9m!-600455441?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=365646&is=REG

    > > > $5K and a 1.5x FOV crop! Why oh why dont they put a bigger sensor in.

    > Because PJ, sports photographers, and voyeurs like the crop factor. It's

    not
    > designed for Ansel Adams wannabes such as myself.
    >
    > My bet is that the noise levels will be too gross for any of those uses,

    all
    > of which really like low noise at high ISOs. Stuffing 12MP into 16x24mm
    > sounds like a really really bad idea. None of those uses really need 8MP,
    > let alone 12.

    I know that you probably feel as I do, that it is unfortunate that the
    obnoxious behavior of so many Canon users may well be the greatest deterrent
    for some people purchasing a Canon. It must be embarrassing to be associated
    with such a noisy, ignorant and arrogant crowd. Who but a Canon owner would
    claim to be Ansel Adams while characterizing everyone who does not use his
    particular brand of camera as PJ (whoever that is), sports photographers,
    and (horrors) voyeurs?

    It is difficult to imagine Mr. Adams ever making such a claim. In fact, it
    is difficult to imagine Mr. Adams using a Canon or any other compact camera.
    A real Ansel Adams wannabe would settle for nothing less than medium format
    at the smallest. One also doubts that Mr. Adams would render an opinion,
    especially such a negative one, on a camera that he has never seen. We have
    noticed, over the years, that the great artists are characterized by their
    equally great hearts, their open minds, and their willingness to look at
    things in a different way from their contemporaries. How can those who make
    their minds up from the beginning about a thing ever hope to be able to see
    beyond the vision of common men?

    Most Canon users' arguments on this group strike me (and, I suspect, the
    majority of real artists) as small-minded, petty and even vicious, seeming
    to boil down to thinking that Canon is particularly clever in their habit of
    rushing to release poorly conceived, buggy products that will soon be made
    obsolete by everybody from Nikon to Olympus to Minolta. Even worse is the
    argument, frequently made by Canon users here, that since Canon engineers
    cannot make a decent product, that nobody else can, either. I think such
    arguments serve Canon poorly and possibly even do the company an injustice,
    don't you?

    One wonders what would happen, for example, should Nikon or Minolta
    introduce a camera with a 0.9 crop factor? No lenses need be made
    obsolete -- you could simply move the film plane slightly. Would these
    "bigger is better" Canon advocates suddenly rush to the side of Nikon,
    speaking dismissively of the decidedly inferior Canon products? One somehow
    doubts it. It is pathetic that so many Canon owners cannot be satisfied that
    they have a good camera, but they must decide that everything else is trash.
    It speaks volumes about the owner, and says nothing of value about Canon, or
    anybody else, for that matter.
    C J Campbell, Jan 23, 2005
  11. Anonymous

    Guest

    Archived from "David J. Littleboy" <> on Sun, 23 Jan 2005
    21:31:45 +0900:

    >By the way, Nikon's producing a limited edition rerelease of the Nikon SP
    >(35mm full-frame film rangefinder). Only 2,300 units will be produced, and
    >one will set you back US$6,900. Tax not included.
    >
    >So it looks to me that Nikon's complete lost it.
    >
    >David J. Littleboy
    >Tokyo, Japan

    I agree Nikon seems to have lost it. Pricing the D2H at US$3.2k then
    dropping the price just a few months later by US$1.2k and having no plans
    for additional upgrades to NikonView makes it appear their marketing group
    hasn't a viable near-term strategy in place. Yep, I am one of the
    unfortunates who paid full bore for my D2H. Unless Nikon has some secret
    magic in store next month Canon is looking more like a less expensive option
    to make a switch away from exclusively Nikon.

    Vic
    , Jan 23, 2005
  12. Anonymous

    BandHPhoto Guest

    <By the way, Nikon's producing a limited edition rerelease of the Nikon SP
    (35mm full-frame film rangefinder). Only 2,300 units will be produced, and
    one will set you back US$6,900. Tax not included.

    So it looks to me that Nikon's complete lost it.>

    Only if it doesn't sell. :--)
    - --

    regards,
    Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com
    BandHPhoto, Jan 23, 2005
  13. Anonymous

    BandHPhoto Guest

    <Why oh why dont they put a bigger sensor in.>

    What for? Won't make either of us better photographers and won't make the image
    quality any better. All it'd do is thake the heat off those who prefer or need
    W/A lenses. OTOH folks into tele are thrilled.
    - --

    regards,
    Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com
    BandHPhoto, Jan 23, 2005
  14. Anonymous

    tbm Guest

    Archived from "David J. Littleboy" <> on Sun, 23 Jan 2005
    21:31:45 +0900:

    >By the way, Nikon's producing a limited edition rerelease of the Nikon SP
    >(35mm full-frame film rangefinder). Only 2,300 units will be produced, and
    >one will set you back US$6,900. Tax not included.
    >
    >So it looks to me that Nikon's complete lost it.
    >
    >David J. Littleboy
    >Tokyo, Japan

    >I agree Nikon seems to have lost it. Pricing >the D2H at US$3.2k then
    >dropping the price just a few months later by >US$1.2k and having no plans
    >for additional upgrades to NikonView makes >it appear their marketing group
    >hasn't a viable near-term strategy in place. >Yep, I am one of the
    >unfortunates who paid full bore for my D2H. >Unless Nikon has some secret
    >magic in store next month Canon is looking >more like a less expensive option
    >to make a switch away from exclusively >Nikon.

    >Vic

    how about this uk dealer and price for the nikon d2h...uk spec.
    http://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk/products/digital.html

    regards to all from TBM...
    tbm, Jan 23, 2005
  15. BandHPhoto wrote:
    > <Why oh why dont they put a bigger sensor in.>
    >
    > What for? Won't make either of us better photographers and won't make the image
    > quality any better. All it'd do is thake the heat off those who prefer or need
    > W/A lenses. OTOH folks into tele are thrilled.
    > - --
    >
    > regards,
    > Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
    > http://www.bhphotovideo.com

    This is incorrect. Today's top sensors are photon noise limited
    and even some P&S cameras are photon noise limited.
    Larger pixels mean more photons collected, and thus a higher
    signal-to-noise in the image. See:

    The Signal-to-Noise of Digital Camera images
    http://clarkvision.com/imagedetail/digital.signal.to.noise

    Side effects of higher signal-to-noise are greater dynamic
    range (max signal / noise floor), and greater ability
    for image restoration, e.g.:
    http://clarkvision.com/imagedetail/image-restoration1

    Given the same number of pixels, the sensor with the larger
    pixels will, in general, produce the better image.
    Also, a smaller number of pixels, but larger pixels collecting
    more photons will often produce a better image than
    simply more pixels.

    Roger
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Jan 23, 2005
  16. "C J Campbell" <> wrote:
    > "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote:

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=BzluP0vL9m!-600455441?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=365646&is=REG

    in.

    > > Because PJ, sports photographers, and voyeurs like the crop factor. It's
    > > not designed for Ansel Adams wannabes such as myself.
    > >
    > > My bet is that the noise levels will be too gross for any of those uses,

    > all
    > > of which really like low noise at high ISOs. Stuffing 12MP into 16x24mm
    > > sounds like a really really bad idea. None of those uses really need
    > > 8MP, let alone 12.

    > Who but a Canon owner would claim to be Ansel Adams

    That's not what "wannabe" means<g>.

    Lighten up. Nikon's shooting themselves in the foot. Unless they've changed
    the laws of physics. (See Roger Clark's note.)

    > while characterizing everyone who does not use his
    > particular brand of camera as PJ (whoever that is),

    Photojournalism. Rather a standard abbreviation. And it's not about brand,
    it's about model: the 1D (mk2) are designed for that market too.

    > It is difficult to imagine Mr. Adams ever making such a claim.

    I don't see it as much of a claim<g>. I'm quite sure it's Nikon's intended
    market.

    The 1D (mk2) and D2x are specifically designed for the needs of PJ and
    sports photographers. That's what/who they're for. The 1Ds (mk2) are for
    people with higher image quality needs. Nikon doesn't (yet) make a camera
    that competes. (The Kodak almost does: at low ISO when Moiré doesn't bite
    you, it's very pretty.)

    (The 1Dmk2, with its larger pixels, is no slouch for other imaging needs as
    well, as Roger Clark reminds us so beautifully.)

    > In fact, it is difficult to imagine Mr. Adams using
    > a Canon or any other compact camera.

    He did a lot of work with the SX-70. (At Polaroid's exhibition announcing
    the SX-70, Adams was the only photographer who was able to figure out how to
    use it.)

    > A real Ansel Adams wannabe would settle for nothing less than medium
    > format at the smallest.

    This medium format user has figured out that he can retire his 645 stuff
    when there's an affordable/liftable 16.7MP camera. In 645, it takes Tech Pan
    (no longer made) to edge out 16.7MP.

    You should read Adams' biography and/or autobiography: he most definitely
    did use 35mm (Contax, if memory serves).

    But the Hasselblad was his camera of choice from the time VH got the worst
    of the bugs out of the early prototypes to the latter years of his life.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Jan 24, 2005