    800?
    Thanks,

    ss

    A. L. Shaw, Nov 1, 2004

  2. A. L. Shaw

    PhotoMan Guest

    A. L. Shaw wrote:
    > Can someone tell me why the new "greatest" camera only goes to iso
    > 800?

    They haven't figured out how Canon does it yet. ;-)

    PhotoMan, Nov 1, 2004

  3. In article <>,
    says...
    > Can someone tell me why the new "greatest" camera only goes to iso
    > 800?
    > Thanks,
    >
    > ss

    Too small a pixel pitch = too much noise.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

    Brian C. Baird, Nov 1, 2004
  4. A. L. Shaw

    George Guest

    "PhotoMan" <> wrote in message
    > A. L. Shaw wrote:
    > > Can someone tell me why the new "greatest" camera only goes to iso
    > > 800?

    > They haven't figured out how Canon does it yet. ;-)

    Or, maybe they intend to start a "Firmware of the Month" club, like Canon.
    ;^)

    George, Nov 1, 2004
  5. A. L. Shaw

    JR Guest

    In article <>,
    A. L. Shaw <> wrote:

    > Can someone tell me why the new "greatest" camera only goes to iso
    > 800?
    > Thanks,
    >
    > ss

    Ummm...the specs I have seen say it goes to 1600....Plus it is geared
    towards pro shooters, and they usually do not shoot over ISO 100 or
    200...I am somewhat a Pro shooter and shoot mainly studio images. I
    shoot digitally with the D70, film is 6x7 Mamiya RZ67 II. I have never
    needed to shoot over ISO 200, in fact I shoot film at ISO 25, 50 and
    100. 200 digitally is because there is no 100 setting...

    JR

    JR, Nov 1, 2004
  6. A. L. Shaw

    PhotoMan Guest

    "George" <> wrote in message

    > "PhotoMan" <> wrote in message
    > > A. L. Shaw wrote:
    > > > Can someone tell me why the new "greatest" camera only goes to iso
    > > > 800?

    > > They haven't figured out how Canon does it yet. ;-)
    > >

    > Or, maybe they intend to start a "Firmware of the Month" club, like Canon.
    > ;^)

    LOL - But there *are* Canon cameras available for the updates.

    PhotoMan, Nov 1, 2004
  7. "A. L. Shaw" <> wrote in message
    > Can someone tell me why the new "greatest" camera only goes to iso
    > 800?
    > Thanks,

    The normal enviroment for the D2X is in the studio, I have seldom shot more
    than ISO 160 film in the studio...

    ---

    Darrell Larose, Nov 1, 2004
  8. "George" <> wrote in message

    > "PhotoMan" <> wrote in message
    > > A. L. Shaw wrote:
    > > > Can someone tell me why the new "greatest" camera only goes to iso
    > > > 800?

    > > They haven't figured out how Canon does it yet. ;-)
    > >

    > Or, maybe they intend to start a "Firmware of the Month" club, like Canon.
    > ;^)

    That's not true 20D firmware had 2 releases within 2 days...

    ---

    Darrell Larose, Nov 1, 2004
  9. A. L. Shaw

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    A. L. Shaw <> wrote:

    > Can someone tell me why the new "greatest" camera only goes to iso
    > 800?

    It doesn't. It goes higher. Same way Canon does, they're just being
    honest about what it is.

    --
    Jeremy |

    Jeremy Nixon, Nov 1, 2004
  10. A. L. Shaw

    PhotoMan Guest

    Jeremy Nixon wrote:
    > A. L. Shaw <> wrote:
    >
    >> Can someone tell me why the new "greatest" camera only goes to iso
    >> 800?

    > It doesn't. It goes higher. Same way Canon does, they're just being
    > honest about what it is.

    It goes as low as ISO 50, and up to ISO 3200 like Canon?

    PhotoMan, Nov 1, 2004
  11. A. L. Shaw

    Mick Brown Guest

    JR,

    In your field this may be true, but the D2X is geared at journos and sports
    photogs as well, and 800 is too low in many cases for them, ie night sports
    etc.

    --
    Michael Brown
    Melbourne Australia

    Mick Brown, Nov 1, 2004
  12. In article <Ogzhd.7087$>,
    says...
    > JR,
    >
    > In your field this may be true, but the D2X is geared at journos and sports
    > photogs as well, and 800 is too low in many cases for them, ie night sports
    > etc.

    In any case, I'd be AMAZINGLY surprised if they could get lower noise
    levels than the 1D Mark II or 20D.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

    Brian C. Baird, Nov 1, 2004
  13. A. L. Shaw

    Guest

    In message <>,
    JR <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > A. L. Shaw <> wrote:

    >> Can someone tell me why the new "greatest" camera only goes to iso
    >> 800?
    >> Thanks,

    >Ummm...the specs I have seen say it goes to 1600....Plus it is geared
    >towards pro shooters, and they usually do not shoot over ISO 100 or
    >200...I am somewhat a Pro shooter and shoot mainly studio images. I
    >shoot digitally with the D70, film is 6x7 Mamiya RZ67 II. I have never
    >needed to shoot over ISO 200, in fact I shoot film at ISO 25, 50 and
    >100. 200 digitally is because there is no 100 setting...

    How much RAW headroom is there at ISO 200?

    These numbers can be quite arbitrary and need not limit you. If there
    is lots of headroom, you can "over-expose" by a stop, to effectively
    shoot at ISO 100.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Nov 2, 2004
  14. A. L. Shaw

    Guest

    In message <>,
    A. L. Shaw <> wrote:

    >Can someone tell me why the new "greatest" camera only goes to iso
    >800?

    What is the RAW bit depth? If it is more than 12 bits, then you might
    consider that it might be more push-able than a 12-bit camera,
    especially if the noise is faint.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Nov 2, 2004
  15. A. L. Shaw

    Guest

    In message <>,
    Jeremy Nixon <> wrote:

    >It doesn't. It goes higher. Same way Canon does, they're just being
    >honest about what it is.

    Maybe you mean there is a limit to how much noise they will show by
    default. As far as "what it is" is concerned, "ISO 1600" on the 10D is
    the same thing as "H" or "ISO 3200". Only the latter is on by default.
    They both use only 11 bits instead of 12, and pad the LSB with a zero.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Nov 2, 2004
  16. A. L. Shaw

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: A. L. Shaw

    >Can someone tell me why the new "greatest" camera only goes to iso
    >800?

    Maybe they are having trouble with noise at high ISO since the pixel pitch is
    so tight? I think this is Nikon's first CMOS sensor too, right?

    I think my Canon dSLRs go to ISO 3200 but I've never once shot them above 640
    so it's probably not a big deal in the real world.

    Bill Hilton, Nov 2, 2004
  17. A. L. Shaw

    Guest

    JR <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > A. L. Shaw <> wrote:

    >> Can someone tell me why the new "greatest" camera only goes to iso
    >> 800?

    > Ummm...the specs I have seen say it goes to 1600....

    It's the difference between "real" ISO and "boost" ISO. The D1x
    leaflet claims 125-800, but that camera still has boost ISO of 1600
    and 3200 available on a sub-menu.

    Andrew.

    , Nov 3, 2004