    in the box and the model on the box is NKD200G.

    Thanks,
    RJB

    az, Aug 12, 2006

  2. az

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 16:07:49 -0700, "az" <> wrote:

    >I just received a Nikon D200 (body only) that I purchased from an online
    >dealer. How do I tell if the camera has a USA warranty or is gray market. I
    >specifically asked for the Nikon USA warranty camera which was considerably
    >higher price than the Gray market one. There were no warranty cards anywhere
    >in the box and the model on the box is NKD200G.

    If you tell us who you bought it from we can figure out from their sleaze
    index what it is. Or if you tell us what you paid, we can probably also
    figure it out.

    My box says D200(U)

    Don Wiss, Aug 12, 2006

  3. az

    az Guest

    It was prestige camera.

    az, Aug 12, 2006
  4. az

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 19:06:03 -0700, az <> wrote:

    >It was prestige camera.

    Ah, one of the Broadway family. Did you check out their rating at
    resellerratings.com first? It is:

    See the admin note at the top.

    One low cost reputable store is selling a US warranty body for $1641. If
    you paid less, you don't have a US warranty. What you paid less than this
    is what you can use when you get stuck paying for a repair.

    Don Wiss, Aug 12, 2006
  5. az

    Guest

    az wrote:
    > I just received a Nikon D200 (body only) that I purchased from an online
    > dealer. How do I tell if the camera has a USA warranty or is gray market. I
    > specifically asked for the Nikon USA warranty camera which was considerably
    > higher price than the Gray market one. There were no warranty cards anywhere
    > in the box and the model on the box is NKD200G.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > RJB

    As posted in alt.photography, call Nikon USA if you still aren't sure -
    doesn't look too good for you, though. 800-645-6689.

    , Aug 12, 2006
  6. az

    Pete D Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > az wrote:
    >> I just received a Nikon D200 (body only) that I purchased from an online
    >> dealer. How do I tell if the camera has a USA warranty or is gray market.
    >> specifically asked for the Nikon USA warranty camera which was
    >> considerably
    >> higher price than the Gray market one. There were no warranty cards
    >> anywhere
    >> in the box and the model on the box is NKD200G.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> RJB

    > As posted in alt.photography, call Nikon USA if you still aren't sure -
    > doesn't look too good for you, though. 800-645-6689.

    If you are prepared to buy gear from Shonky Brothers you need to be prepared
    for the worst and then you will never be disappointed. :-(

    Pete D, Aug 12, 2006
  7. az

    Cynicor Guest

    Don Wiss wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 16:07:49 -0700, "az" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I just received a Nikon D200 (body only) that I purchased from an online
    >> dealer. How do I tell if the camera has a USA warranty or is gray market. I
    >> specifically asked for the Nikon USA warranty camera which was considerably
    >> higher price than the Gray market one. There were no warranty cards anywhere
    >> in the box and the model on the box is NKD200G.

    > If you tell us who you bought it from we can figure out from their sleaze
    > index what it is. Or if you tell us what you paid, we can probably also
    > figure it out.
    >
    > My box says D200(U)

    See, now you've gotten me started on this again.

    Go to nikonusa.com. Enter the serial number of the camera to register
    it. You will quickly be told whether it's a valid USA serial.

    Cynicor, Aug 12, 2006
  8. az

    Cynicor Guest

    Don Wiss wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 19:06:03 -0700, az <> wrote:
    >
    >> It was prestige camera.

    > Ah, one of the Broadway family. Did you check out their rating at
    > resellerratings.com first? It is:
    >
    > http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1995.html
    >
    > See the admin note at the top.
    >
    > One low cost reputable store is selling a US warranty body for $1641. If
    > you paid less, you don't have a US warranty. What you paid less than this
    > is what you can use when you get stuck paying for a repair.

    But...the name Prestige Camera sounds so, well, prestigious.

    Cynicor, Aug 12, 2006
  9. Cynicor wrote:

    > See, now you've gotten me started on this again.
    >
    > Go to nikonusa.com. Enter the serial number of the camera to register
    > it. You will quickly be told whether it's a valid USA serial.

    After that you should immediately call your credit card company and file a
    chargeback so you can get all your money back. I hate fraudulent merchants.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Aug 12, 2006
  10. az

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Sat, 12 Aug 2006, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

    >Cynicor wrote:
    >
    >> See, now you've gotten me started on this again.
    >>
    >> Go to nikonusa.com. Enter the serial number of the camera to register
    >> it. You will quickly be told whether it's a valid USA serial.

    >After that you should immediately call your credit card company and file a
    >chargeback so you can get all your money back. I hate fraudulent merchants.

    But he has the camera. He didn't pay the price for a USA one. He has no
    claim against his credit card. And to return it he'd be hit with a
    restocking fee.

    My question to the OP. Which price search engine did you believe? A couple
    of them are scams.

    Don Wiss, Aug 12, 2006
  11. Don Wiss wrote:

    >> After that you should immediately call your credit card company and
    >> file a chargeback so you can get all your money back. I hate
    >> fraudulent merchants.

    > But he has the camera. He didn't pay the price for a USA one. He has
    > no claim against his credit card. And to return it he'd be hit with a
    > restocking fee.

    Of course, he will need to return the camera per instruction of his CC
    company. If it were advertised as a US model and sent an import this is
    bait and switch and is considered fraud and will get all his money back.
    Nevertheless, if he feels he's been cheated he should call his CC company to
    find out what his rights are. Proper wording when filing a dispute will
    assure a 99.99999% chance of getting 100% of his money back no matter what
    bullshit a merchant tries to pull.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Aug 12, 2006
  12. az

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 09:15:46 -0400, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04
    @aol.com> wrote:

    >Don Wiss wrote:
    >
    >>> After that you should immediately call your credit card company and
    >>> file a chargeback so you can get all your money back. I hate
    >>> fraudulent merchants.

    >> But he has the camera. He didn't pay the price for a USA one. He has
    >> no claim against his credit card. And to return it he'd be hit with a
    >> restocking fee.

    >Of course, he will need to return the camera per instruction of his CC
    >company.

    No returns without Prestige's authorization. Restocking fee is a minimum of
    5%. This can be found at Prestige's web site. The OP is expected to have
    read this before making the purchase.

    > If it were advertised as a US model and sent an import this is
    >bait and switch and is considered fraud and will get all his money back.
    >Nevertheless, if he feels he's been cheated he should call his CC company to
    >find out what his rights are. Proper wording when filing a dispute will
    >assure a 99.99999% chance of getting 100% of his money back no matter what
    >bullshit a merchant tries to pull.

    Prestige does not advertize the camera as being a US model. As you can see
    here he only paid $1305 for the body.

    http://www.prestigecamera.com/product~id~nkd200.htm

    As I wrote before, what he saved he can use to pay for any repairs it may
    need.

    Don Wiss, Aug 12, 2006
  13. az

    az Guest

    When I purchased the camera, I called them and talked to them over the
    phone. I did not pay the $1305 but paid $1499 for what was agreed to be a
    Nikon USA warranty camera. If I had paid the $1305, I wouldn't be so Pxxxxed
    off at them. I am willing to take the risk with the grey market camera, but
    not at the price they charged me. I emailed them and will call them tomorrow
    (closed on Saturday) to discuss the matter. If they agree to a refund, then
    its a done deal.

    az, Aug 12, 2006
  14. Don Wiss wrote:

    >>> But he has the camera. He didn't pay the price for a USA one. He has
    >>> no claim against his credit card. And to return it he'd be hit with
    >>> a restocking fee.

    >> Of course, he will need to return the camera per instruction of his
    >> CC company.

    > No returns without Prestige's authorization. Restocking fee is a
    > minimum of 5%. This can be found at Prestige's web site. The OP is
    > expected to have read this before making the purchase.

    He'll quickly get the attention of Prestige and an RMA as soon as he files
    the CC dispute. A *properly* worded dispute overrides all listed company
    policies and a "restocking" fee cannot be charged to the cardholder. But I
    do agree with you 100% that the OP is expected to read the listed policies
    before committing to buy. It's pure foolishness on his part to ask now.

    >> If it were advertised as a US model and sent an import this is
    >> bait and switch and is considered fraud and will get all his money
    >> back. Nevertheless, if he feels he's been cheated he should call his
    >> CC company to find out what his rights are. Proper wording when
    >> filing a dispute will assure a 99.99999% chance of getting 100% of
    >> his money back no matter what bullshit a merchant tries to pull.

    > Prestige does not advertize the camera as being a US model. As you
    > can see here he only paid $1305 for the body.
    >
    > http://www.prestigecamera.com/product~id~nkd200.htm
    >
    > As I wrote before, what he saved he can use to pay for any repairs it
    > may need.

    Yep, I agree that Prestige is very vague in what is listed. It's still a
    good price if he got a factory-sealed unit with all factory-included
    accessories. Personally, I wouldn't have even considered buying from this
    company even at half that price.

    Keep in mind that a properly worded CC dispute will get all his money back.
    Fly-by-night companies like this have such a large paper trail of complaints
    for deception that it's easy for the CC companies to see what is going on.
    And I'm sure Prestige has many complaints and CC disputes that they are
    paying exorbitant rates for their merchants account. Numerous complaints
    and chargebacks result is higher rates and a possible closure of their
    account. Dealing with a merchant like this would be foolish to not go
    through your CC company first for resolution.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Aug 13, 2006
  15. az

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    Don Wiss wrote:

    > Prestige does not advertize the camera as being a US model. As you can see
    > here he only paid $1305 for the body.
    >
    > http://www.prestigecamera.com/product~id~nkd200.htm

    It does, however, say that the camera comes with a 1-year limited
    warranty, yet the OP was provided with no warranty info in the box.
    Further, I would think that if he enters the serial number on the Nikon
    product reg site and he's told it's not valid, he could probably submit
    that with his complaint as proof that he's been jipped out of his
    warranty, and given what is in essence damaged goods.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

    Isaiah Beard, Aug 14, 2006
  16. az

    no_name Guest

    az wrote:

    > I just received a Nikon D200 (body only) that I purchased from an online
    > dealer. How do I tell if the camera has a USA warranty or is gray market. I
    > specifically asked for the Nikon USA warranty camera which was considerably
    > higher price than the Gray market one. There were no warranty cards anywhere
    > in the box and the model on the box is NKD200G.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > RJB

    If it didn't come with a Nikon USA warranty card, it's probably not got
    a USA warranty.

    Have you contacted the seller about the discrepancy?

    no_name, Aug 16, 2006
  17. az

    no_name Guest

    Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

    > Cynicor wrote:
    >
    >> See, now you've gotten me started on this again.
    >>
    >> Go to nikonusa.com. Enter the serial number of the camera to register
    >> it. You will quickly be told whether it's a valid USA serial.

    > After that you should immediately call your credit card company and file a
    > chargeback so you can get all your money back. I hate fraudulent
    > merchants.

    Assuming you paid for a USA Warranty Nikon and received a gray market
    camera instead, you might also file a complaint with the NY Attorney
    General's office for consumer fraud.

    http://www.oag.state.ny.us/complaints/pdfs/cns001web_consumer.pdf

    no_name, Aug 16, 2006
  18. az

    no_name Guest

    Don Wiss wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Aug 2006, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Cynicor wrote:
    >>

    >>>See, now you've gotten me started on this again.
    >>>
    >>>Go to nikonusa.com. Enter the serial number of the camera to register
    >>>it. You will quickly be told whether it's a valid USA serial.

    >>After that you should immediately call your credit card company and file a
    >>chargeback so you can get all your money back. I hate fraudulent merchants.

    > But he has the camera. He didn't pay the price for a USA one. He has no
    > claim against his credit card. And to return it he'd be hit with a
    > restocking fee.
    >
    > My question to the OP. Which price search engine did you believe? A couple
    > of them are scams.
    >
    > Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

    How do you know he didn't pay the price for a USA Warranty? The original
    post says:

    no_name, Aug 16, 2006
  19. az

    no_name Guest

    Don Wiss wrote:

    > No returns without Prestige's authorization. Restocking fee is a minimum of
    > 5%. This can be found at Prestige's web site. The OP is expected to have
    > read this before making the purchase.

    A restocking fee would not apply if Prestige did not send the item he
    ordered, i.e. USA Warranty Nikon.

    no_name, Aug 16, 2006
  20. no_name wrote:

    > How do you know he didn't pay the price for a USA Warranty? The
    > original post says:
    >
    >> I specifically asked for the Nikon USA warranty camera which was
    >> considerably higher price than the Gray market one.

    Just to hazard a guess, the price he paid?

    Fletis Humplebacker, Aug 17, 2006