    a 1G CF card so far.

    TIA

    Prospector

    Prospector, Feb 22, 2004

  2. Prospector

    Jim Waggener Guest

    "Prospector" <> wrote in message
    news:407_b.367917$I06.3848992@attbi_s01...
    > Can someone please explain the remote cords available for the D100. I read
    > in the guide that the MC-20 and MC-30 for example are usable but viewing
    > these shows a cable that does not have an end that looks like any

    connection
    > on my D100.
    > Also: Could someone please post an opinion on a good set of accessories

    in
    > some sort of order of importance for the new D100 owner. I have only

    bought
    > a 1G CF card so far.

    I think the MB-D100 grip would be the first accessory to get, with an extra
    battery.
    This link may help with the remote controls:

    http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bi.../std_adp.php?p_faqid=664&p_created=1047059649

    regards,

    Jim Waggener

    Jim Waggener, Feb 22, 2004

  3. Prospector

    Prospector Guest

    http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_
    faqid=664&p_created=1047059649

    > regards,
    >
    > Jim Waggener

    Thank you Jim. Seems much better than the limited guide info.

    Prospector

    Prospector, Feb 22, 2004
  4. Prospector

    Tom Thackrey Guest

    On 22-Feb-2004, "Prospector" <> wrote:

    > Can someone please explain the remote cords available for the D100. I read
    > in the guide that the MC-20 and MC-30 for example are usable but viewing
    > these shows a cable that does not have an end that looks like any
    > connection
    > on my D100.
    > Also: Could someone please post an opinion on a good set of accessories
    > in
    > some sort of order of importance for the new D100 owner. I have only
    > bought
    > a 1G CF card so far.

    The D100 takes a standard old cable release.

    Accessories I would choose:
    1) tripod
    2) flash
    3) CF card reader
    4) extra battery
    5) extra CF card
    6) hot shoe to PC gizmo
    7) flash bracket

    I don't care for the add on grip. It adds weight and, for me, the camera
    works fine held vertical.

    --
    Tom Thackrey
    www.creative-light.com

    Tom Thackrey, Feb 22, 2004
  5. Prospector

    Prospector Guest

    "Tom Thackrey" <> wrote in message

    > On 22-Feb-2004, "Prospector" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Can someone please explain the remote cords available for the D100. I

    read
    > > in the guide that the MC-20 and MC-30 for example are usable but viewing
    > > these shows a cable that does not have an end that looks like any
    > > connection
    > > on my D100.
    > > Also: Could someone please post an opinion on a good set of accessories
    > > in
    > > some sort of order of importance for the new D100 owner. I have only
    > > bought
    > > a 1G CF card so far.

    > The D100 takes a standard old cable release.
    >
    > Accessories I would choose:
    > 1) tripod
    > 2) flash
    > 3) CF card reader
    > 4) extra battery
    > 5) extra CF card
    > 6) hot shoe to PC gizmo
    > 7) flash bracket
    >
    > I don't care for the add on grip. It adds weight and, for me, the camera
    > works fine held vertical.

    Thank you very much Tom.
    I have much upgrade purchasing to do I can tell. I have been spending more
    time viewing the shots taken by the D100 I haven't even used it yet.
    Great pics http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1021
    If your list is in order of importance I will have to do more research for
    a decent tripod as WalMart Vivatar really is a sorry piece of equipment. I
    have Sandisk 1.0GB and a handful of assorted 64MB.
    I have been wondering about an additional battery but have not fully
    learned about the selections.
    MANY card readers from the one in printer to half dozen others. The printer
    connection seems to be the only one I find handy.
    What does the GIZMO do :)
    I have been wondering if there is a way to view before I shoot in software
    for PC. Any PC software at all to control this Camera?
    I have a nice handle that I use that will eventually be replaced if I
    really need an accessory. mount.
    I have been using an old SB-20 that I will replace within the next few
    weeks before I start to miss TTL.

    Thanks again
    Prospector

    Prospector, Feb 22, 2004
  6. Prospector

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Prospector wrote:

    > Can someone please explain the remote cords available for the D100. I
    > read in the guide that the MC-20 and MC-30 for example are usable but
    > viewing these shows a cable that does not have an end that looks like
    > any connection on my D100.

    You'd need to get the MB-D100 battery pack first.

    > Also: Could someone please post an opinion on a good set of
    > accessories in some sort of order of importance for the new D100
    > owner. I have only bought a 1G CF card so far.

    You could start with a good lens kit.

    Paolo Pizzi, Feb 22, 2004
  7. Prospector

    Prospector Guest

    "Paolo Pizzi" <> wrote in message
    > Prospector wrote:
    >
    > > Can someone please explain the remote cords available for the D100. I
    > > read in the guide that the MC-20 and MC-30 for example are usable but
    > > viewing these shows a cable that does not have an end that looks like
    > > any connection on my D100.

    > You'd need to get the MB-D100 battery pack first.
    >
    > > Also: Could someone please post an opinion on a good set of
    > > accessories in some sort of order of importance for the new D100
    > > owner. I have only bought a 1G CF card so far.

    > You could start with a good lens kit.

    I guess the MB-D100 will be first on the list since that seems like the
    link to the remote and other accessories. The lens collection has been
    another thread I have been following and like the way that conversation was
    going. Drop all your money on glass right away and get it over with.

    Thanks
    Prospector

    Prospector, Feb 22, 2004
  8. Prospector

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Prospector wrote:

    > I guess the MB-D100 will be first on the list since that seems like
    > the link to the remote and other accessories.

    Well, you could use a mechanical cable release, but that will
    ubdoubtedly produce some degree of vibration. If you want
    an electronic release (such as the MC-20/30,) then buying
    the MB-D100 is your only option.)

    > The lens collection has been another thread I have been
    > following and like the way that conversation was going.
    > Drop all your money on glass right away and get it over
    > with.

    For start, it would be better for you to spend as much as
    possible on 1-2 really great lenses than invest the same
    amount of money on 5-6 of mediocre quality. I will give
    you a couple of suggestions that will cover everything from
    wide angle to telephoto, avoiding extreme wide and long tele:

    - Sigma 24-70 DG EX f/2.8
    - Sigma 70-200 EX HSM f/2.8

    Due to the 1.5x crop factor on your D70, these two will cover
    every focal length between 36 and 300mm at a constant f/2.8
    max aperture. Total price around $1,000. An all-Nikkor solution
    (28-70+70-200VR) would cost you three times as much and the
    gain in quality would only be marginal. Don't listen to the snobs
    that hate anything but OEM equipment (fortunately most of them
    are Canon users, so they won't tease you, unless you jump ship
    and buy a Canon... ;-) ) Sigma EX glass is excellent and gives
    you a lot more bang for the bucks. Typically these people don't
    own either top quality Canon/Nikon glass or the Sigma EX they
    so much like to malign. I actually take the time to test everything,
    so if I tell you that the Sigma 70-200 is more than a match for
    the Nikkor 80-200 and only slightly inferior to the superb Nikkor
    70-200VR, it's because I have a direct experience with all three
    lenses.

    Paolo Pizzi, Feb 22, 2004
  9. Prospector

    > Prospector wrote:
    >
    > > I guess the MB-D100 will be first on the list since that seems like
    > > the link to the remote and other accessories.

    > Well, you could use a mechanical cable release, but that will
    > ubdoubtedly produce some degree of vibration. If you want
    > an electronic release (such as the MC-20/30,) then buying
    > the MB-D100 is your only option.)
    >
    > > The lens collection has been another thread I have been
    > > following and like the way that conversation was going.
    > > Drop all your money on glass right away and get it over
    > > with.

    > For start, it would be better for you to spend as much as
    > possible on 1-2 really great lenses than invest the same
    > amount of money on 5-6 of mediocre quality. I will give
    > you a couple of suggestions that will cover everything from
    > wide angle to telephoto, avoiding extreme wide and long tele:
    >
    > - Sigma 24-70 DG EX f/2.8
    > - Sigma 70-200 EX HSM f/2.8
    >
    > Due to the 1.5x crop factor on your D70, these two will cover
    > every focal length between 36 and 300mm at a constant f/2.8
    > max aperture. Total price around $1,000. An all-Nikkor solution
    > (28-70+70-200VR) would cost you three times as much and the
    > gain in quality would only be marginal. Don't listen to the snobs
    > that hate anything but OEM equipment (fortunately most of them
    > are Canon users, so they won't tease you, unless you jump ship
    > and buy a Canon... ;-) ) Sigma EX glass is excellent and gives
    > you a lot more bang for the bucks. Typically these people don't
    > own either top quality Canon/Nikon glass or the Sigma EX they
    > so much like to malign. I actually take the time to test everything,
    > so if I tell you that the Sigma 70-200 is more than a match for
    > the Nikkor 80-200 and only slightly inferior to the superb Nikkor
    > 70-200VR, it's because I have a direct experience with all three
    > lenses.

    Ok, I like that. I can save and never know the difference. I already have
    an old set of Nikkor Lenses AF 50mm 1.8 - AF Nikkor 70-210-New 70-300 4-5.6G
    and an old cheap Quantaray 500mm w/2X Converter that only works with the
    D100 in manual settings. So I can afford to not shop in haste.
    Then there is the replacement of the old SB-20 with some reasonable upgrade
    but I guess that would be another post.

    Prospector

    Prospector, Feb 23, 2004