    so I can get good results. Any suggestions or opinions? Thanks.
    In the dark,
    Jeff
    jeff liss, Aug 15, 2003

  2. jeff liss

    Gavin Cato Guest

    Get the SB80DX, not the 50.

    Gavin Cato, Aug 15, 2003

  3. jeff liss wrote:
    > I like my D100, but the b.i. flash seems to be weak at best. Shots I
    > have made, even ones within 10 feet are badly underexposed. For the
    > record, I shoot ISO 200, Center Weighed metering, auto white balance.
    > Not sure what else to specify. I'm close to adding a Speedlite SB-50DX
    > so I can get good results. Any suggestions or opinions? Thanks.
    > In the dark,
    > Jeff

    It is a built in flash which means it's only a bit stronger than the
    flash on a P&S. Having said that I don't usually have any major
    problems with it in situations where I should have a flash but don't.

    And it's good for fill flash.
    Andrew McDonald, Aug 15, 2003
  4. jeff liss

    Charlie D Guest

    In article <QjY_a.4274$>,
    Andrew McDonald <> wrote:

    > It is a built in flash which means it's only a bit stronger than the
    > flash on a P&S. Having said that I don't usually have any major
    > problems with it in situations where I should have a flash but don't.
    >
    > And it's good for fill flash.

    You can look at a built-in flash like one of those "no air" pretend
    spare tires that are good up to 50 MPH. OK in a pinch, but nothing like
    the real thing.

    --
    Charlie Dilks
    Newark, DE USA
    Charlie D, Aug 15, 2003
  5. jeff liss

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I like my D100, but the b.i. flash seems to be weak at best. Shots I
    > have made, even ones within 10 feet are badly underexposed. For the
    > record, I shoot ISO 200, Center Weighed metering, auto white balance.
    > Not sure what else to specify. I'm close to adding a Speedlite SB-50DX
    > so I can get good results. Any suggestions or opinions? Thanks.
    > In the dark,
    > Jeff

    An external flash is always better than an internal for many reasons.
    Don't think twice -- buy one. I'm a Canon guy so I can't comment on
    which model to buy, but just buy one.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Aug 15, 2003
  6. jeff liss

    Dave Lee Guest

    The built in pop-up flash is only good for outdoor fill or indoor close
    snapshots. Get yourself *at least* an SB-28DX flash. You'll use the
    power for sure.

    Cheers,

    Dave

    --
    "There are hundreds of tiny balls in every machine, and hundreds of
    machines in every pachinko parlour, and a pachinko parlour on every block
    Dave Lee, Aug 15, 2003
  7. jeff liss

    Browntimdc Guest

    (jeff liss) wrote in news:89b0df2b.0308141725.27c93490
    @posting.google.com:

    > I like my D100, but the b.i. flash seems to be weak at best. Shots I
    > have made, even ones within 10 feet are badly underexposed. For the
    > record, I shoot ISO 200, Center Weighed metering, auto white balance.
    > Not sure what else to specify. I'm close to adding a Speedlite SB-50DX
    > so I can get good results. Any suggestions or opinions? Thanks.
    > In the dark,
    > Jeff

    If you're comfortable without TTL metering get a Vivitar 283. Lots of cheap
    power.

    Tim
    Browntimdc, Aug 15, 2003
  8. jeff liss

    Chris Hoopes Guest

    "Todd Walker" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > I like my D100, but the b.i. flash seems to be weak at best. Shots I
    > > have made, even ones within 10 feet are badly underexposed. For the
    > > record, I shoot ISO 200, Center Weighed metering, auto white balance.
    > > Not sure what else to specify. I'm close to adding a Speedlite SB-50DX
    > > so I can get good results. Any suggestions or opinions? Thanks.
    > > In the dark,
    > > Jeff
    > >

    > An external flash is always better than an internal for many reasons.
    > Don't think twice -- buy one. I'm a Canon guy so I can't comment on
    > which model to buy, but just buy one.
    >
    > --
    > ________________________________
    > Todd Walker
    > http://twalker.d2g.com
    > Canon 10D:
    > http://twalker.d2g.com/canon10d
    > My Digital Photography Weblog:
    > http://twalker.d2g.com/dpblog.htm
    > _________________________________

    The only time I use the built-in flash is for outdoor-fill, and only when I
    don't happen to have my SB-80DX handy. Since most of the time I am
    photographing weddings, receptions, and reunions, I keep the external flash
    already in place, so the internal one doesn't "pop up" very often. It's nice
    to have available, just in case, though. :)

    Chris
    Chris Hoopes, Aug 15, 2003
  9. jeff liss

    Boomer Guest

    jeff liss asked:

    > ... Is the SB80DX that much better? ...

    Yes, and it mates to the D100 beautifully.
    Boomer, Aug 16, 2003