    I push the button and the image in the viewfinder gets dimmer.

    Sometimes the aperture doesn't dilate at all and the picture doesn't change
    at all.

    Bryce, Feb 23, 2004

  2. Bryce

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Bryce"

    >What am I exactly looking for here? (in regards to the depth of field
    >preview button)
    >
    >I push the button and the image in the viewfinder gets dimmer.
    >
    >Sometimes the aperture doesn't dilate at all and the picture doesn't change
    >at all.

    When you push the button the lens stops down to whatever aperture you have set.
    If you are using the widest aperture of the lens (ie, say f/2.8 for a f/2.8 -
    f/22 lens) then the view won't change since it's set wide open by default for
    focussing. If you stop down to f/4 you'll have half the light and it will be a
    bit dimmer ... stop down all the way to f/22 and it will be a LOT dimmer.

    Set it to Av mode and try it at widest aperture, f/8 and smallest aperture and
    you'll see what I mean.

    Bill Hilton, Feb 23, 2004

  3. Bryce

    Bryce Guest

    "Bill Hilton" <> wrote in message
    > >From: "Bryce"

    > >What am I exactly looking for here? (in regards to the depth of field
    > >preview button)
    > >
    > >I push the button and the image in the viewfinder gets dimmer.
    > >
    > >Sometimes the aperture doesn't dilate at all and the picture doesn't

    change
    > >at all.

    > When you push the button the lens stops down to whatever aperture you have

    set.
    > If you are using the widest aperture of the lens (ie, say f/2.8 for a

    f/2.8 -
    > f/22 lens) then the view won't change since it's set wide open by default

    for
    > focussing. If you stop down to f/4 you'll have half the light and it will

    be a
    > bit dimmer ... stop down all the way to f/22 and it will be a LOT dimmer.
    >
    > Set it to Av mode and try it at widest aperture, f/8 and smallest aperture

    and
    > you'll see what I mean.

    So what I'm actually seeing when I stop it down through the eyepiece is
    actually the exposure I'll be getting?

    Bryce, Feb 23, 2004
  4. Bryce

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Bryce"

    >So what I'm actually seeing when I stop it down through the eyepiece is
    >actually the exposure I'll be getting?

    You're seeing the intensity of light which will strike the sensor (more or
    less) ... the actual "exposure" is dependent on this amount of light plus the
    duration of time the sensor is exposed to it (ie, the shutter speed). As you
    stop down and the view finder gets darker you should see increased depth of
    field, if you give your eyes time to adjust to the darker view.

    Bill Hilton, Feb 23, 2004
  5. Bryce

    JackD Guest

    "Bryce" <> wrote in message

    > "Bill Hilton" <> wrote in message
    > > >From: "Bryce"

    > > >What am I exactly looking for here? (in regards to the depth of field
    > > >preview button)
    > > >
    > > >I push the button and the image in the viewfinder gets dimmer.
    > > >
    > > >Sometimes the aperture doesn't dilate at all and the picture doesn't

    > change
    > > >at all.

    > > When you push the button the lens stops down to whatever aperture you

    have
    > set.
    > > If you are using the widest aperture of the lens (ie, say f/2.8 for a

    > f/2.8 -
    > > f/22 lens) then the view won't change since it's set wide open by

    default
    > for
    > > focussing. If you stop down to f/4 you'll have half the light and it

    will
    > be a
    > > bit dimmer ... stop down all the way to f/22 and it will be a LOT

    dimmer.

    > > Set it to Av mode and try it at widest aperture, f/8 and smallest

    aperture
    > and
    > > you'll see what I mean.

    > So what I'm actually seeing when I stop it down through the eyepiece is
    > actually the exposure I'll be getting?

    Yes, the depth of field you see is what you will get.

    -Jack

    JackD, Feb 23, 2004
  6. > What am I exactly looking for here? (in regards to the depth of field
    > preview button)
    >
    > I push the button and the image in the viewfinder gets dimmer.
    >
    > Sometimes the aperture doesn't dilate at all and the picture doesn't change
    > at all.

    Do you have the box the camera came in? If so, put it back in the box,
    take it back where you got it, and get your money back. You're in way
    over your head.

    Randall Ainsworth, Feb 24, 2004
  7. Bryce

    Bryce Guest

    "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    > > What am I exactly looking for here? (in regards to the depth of field
    > > preview button)
    > >
    > > I push the button and the image in the viewfinder gets dimmer.
    > >
    > > Sometimes the aperture doesn't dilate at all and the picture doesn't

    change
    > > at all.

    > Do you have the box the camera came in? If so, put it back in the box,
    > take it back where you got it, and get your money back. You're in way
    > over your head.

    No offense, but that has to be about the stupidest thing I've heard of in a
    long time. On par with Sr. Bush's "No New Taxes."

    Bryce, Feb 24, 2004
  8. > Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    > > What am I exactly looking for here? (in regards to the depth of
    > > field preview button)
    > >
    > > I push the button and the image in the viewfinder gets dimmer.
    > >
    > > Sometimes the aperture doesn't dilate at all and the picture
    > > doesn't change at all.

    > Do you have the box the camera came in? If so, put it back in the
    > box, take it back where you got it, and get your money back. You're
    > in way over your head.

    And God himself placed his hand on your forehead at the moment of birth
    and annointed you with all the photographic knowledge you would ever
    need or want? No? I didn't think so.

    --
    "Through pride we are ever deceiving ourselves. But deep down below the
    surface of the average conscience a still, small voice says to us,

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?The_Dave=A9?=, Feb 24, 2004
  9. On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:49:46 -0800, "Bryce"
    <> wrote:

    >No offense, but that has to be about the stupidest thing I've heard of in a
    >long time. On par with Sr. Bush's "No New Taxes."

    Damn right! The beauty of a DSLR is that you can experiment and find
    out what works, what does not, and what gives an interesting creative
    effect without the expense of blowing through a ton of film. Everyone
    who uses an SLR, digital or film, had to learn about DOF, stops and so
    on at some point, including Randall.

    A simple technique to learn what effect everything has without having
    to wade through the manual is plain old trial and error. Set
    everything to automatic that you are not too clear on, then take one
    setting at a time and shoot stuff across the range of values to find
    out what effect is has on the image. Not only does this help you to
    become familiar with the controls, but you'll find some of those
    creative effects I mentioned above. A while back someone mentioned
    that their teacher had once made them shoot all day with the "wrong"
    lens (portraits with a longish lens IIRC) and many valuable lessons in
    camera control were thus learnt, so you might want to try later on.

    Andy

    Andy Blanchard, Feb 24, 2004
  10. Bryce

    Mike Kohary Guest

    > >From: "Bryce"

    > >So what I'm actually seeing when I stop it down through the eyepiece is
    > >actually the exposure I'll be getting?

    > You're seeing the intensity of light which will strike the sensor (more or
    > less) ... the actual "exposure" is dependent on this amount of light plus

    the
    > duration of time the sensor is exposed to it (ie, the shutter speed). As

    you
    > stop down and the view finder gets darker you should see increased depth

    of
    > field, if you give your eyes time to adjust to the darker view.

    I'm playing with this same feature on the Rebel, and having similar problems
    understanding exactly what it's for. ;) I think Bill is telling us that we
    can preview what the depth of field will look like, but not what the overall
    exposure will look like. Since we can't preview on the LCD screen as with a
    non-SLR camera, the only way is to take the shot and then look at it on the
    LCD to see if you got it right.

    It's not quite as easy as it was to get a good exposure on my Canon G3, but
    then the advantages of the SLR far outweigh the extra practice I'll simply
    need to put in to get better exposures. The way I see it, it'll just make
    me a better photographer. ;)

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Feb 24, 2004
  11. Bryce

    Mike Kohary Guest

    > > What am I exactly looking for here? (in regards to the depth of field
    > > preview button)
    > >
    > > I push the button and the image in the viewfinder gets dimmer.
    > >
    > > Sometimes the aperture doesn't dilate at all and the picture doesn't

    change
    > > at all.

    > Do you have the box the camera came in? If so, put it back in the box,
    > take it back where you got it, and get your money back. You're in way
    > over your head.

    With all due respect, you were a newbie once too, and you had to learn these
    things too. Try to remember what it was like.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Feb 24, 2004
  12. Bryce

    Crownfield Guest

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    > > What am I exactly looking for here? (in regards to the depth of field
    > > preview button)
    > >
    > > I push the button and the image in the viewfinder gets dimmer.
    > >
    > > Sometimes the aperture doesn't dilate at all and the picture doesn't change
    > > at all.

    > Do you have the box the camera came in? If so, put it back in the box,
    > take it back where you got it, and get your money back. You're in way
    > over your head.

    and thus you win "The Laugh of the Day Award" !!

    well said.

    Crownfield, Feb 24, 2004
  13. > No offense, but that has to be about the stupidest thing I've heard of in a
    > long time. On par with Sr. Bush's "No New Taxes."

    Boy, guess you told me.

    Randall Ainsworth, Feb 24, 2004
  14. Bryce

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Here is anb article on how to use the DOF preview
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/mani/techs/mdofwalk.html

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Feb 24, 2004
  15. Bryce

    Flycaster Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    [snip]

    > I'm playing with this same feature on the Rebel, and having similar

    problems
    > understanding exactly what it's for. ;) I think Bill is telling us that

    we
    > can preview what the depth of field will look like, but not what the

    overall
    > exposure will look like.

    That's correct, it gives you DOF info only. The best way to check your
    exposure with a DSLR is to shoot a frame and inspect the histogram.

    [snip]

    > It's not quite as easy as it was to get a good exposure on my Canon G3,

    but
    > then the advantages of the SLR far outweigh the extra practice I'll simply
    > need to put in to get better exposures. The way I see it, it'll just make
    > me a better photographer. ;)

    Shoot, take notes, carry your manual with you to look up things as you go,
    and have fun. And, if you *really* want to improve your photography, the
    single best thing you can do is BUY A TRIPOD. It'll slow you down, make you
    think about the shot, and it will eliminate camera shake which will open up
    all sorts of different shooting opportunities for you.

    Last, a word to the wise for both you and Bryce: pay no attention to the
    occasional arrogant miscreant in here - not everyone is a jerk. Learn how
    to use your newsreader's kill-file like the rest of us.

    Flycaster, Feb 24, 2004
  16. Bryce

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Randall is one of our resident aholes - he knows little about photography so
    he insults other people. Killfile him and move on.

    Tony Spadaro, Feb 24, 2004
  17. Bryce

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Flycaster" <> wrote in message

    > Shoot, take notes, carry your manual with you to look up things as you go,
    > and have fun. And, if you *really* want to improve your photography, the
    > single best thing you can do is BUY A TRIPOD. It'll slow you down, make

    you
    > think about the shot, and it will eliminate camera shake which will open

    up
    > all sorts of different shooting opportunities for you.

    Already got one. In fact, I've been "teaching myself" for years; only in
    the last couple of years have I dived deeply into it in a more formal
    fashion.

    http://www.karmaphotography.com (still under construction, but lots of pics
    up)

    I think I have a good general sense of taking good photographs...right now,
    it's the little technical details that I always ignored before that I'm
    struggling to learn.

    > Last, a word to the wise for both you and Bryce: pay no attention to the
    > occasional arrogant miscreant in here - not everyone is a jerk. Learn how
    > to use your newsreader's kill-file like the rest of us.

    Thanks. I'm a 10-year Usenet vet, and my skin is very thick - his remark
    barely registered on the radar.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Feb 24, 2004
  18. Bryce

    > "Flycaster" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Shoot, take notes, carry your manual with you to look up things as you

    go,
    > > and have fun. And, if you *really* want to improve your photography,

    the
    > > single best thing you can do is BUY A TRIPOD. It'll slow you down, make

    > you
    > > think about the shot, and it will eliminate camera shake which will

    open
    > up
    > > all sorts of different shooting opportunities for you.

    > Already got one. In fact, I've been "teaching myself" for years; only in
    > the last couple of years have I dived deeply into it in a more formal
    > fashion.
    >
    > http://www.karmaphotography.com (still under construction, but lots of

    pics
    > up)
    >
    > I think I have a good general sense of taking good photographs...right

    now,
    > it's the little technical details that I always ignored before that I'm
    > struggling to learn.

    I can see that from you work - well done. This reminds me a bit of the last
    time I sat down with a friend to show him some of the ins and outs of his
    35mm camera before he left on a trip to Europe. He is, in fact, one of the
    best known LF landscape photographers in the Pacific NW, and I had to
    continually remind myself, "Slow down, he's sold more fine art images than
    you ever will...he just doesn't know what the buttons do."

    > > Last, a word to the wise for both you and Bryce: pay no attention to the
    > > occasional arrogant miscreant in here - not everyone is a jerk. Learn

    how
    > > to use your newsreader's kill-file like the rest of us.

    > Thanks. I'm a 10-year Usenet vet, and my skin is very thick - his remark
    > barely registered on the radar.

    Good, just wanted to make sure. These cretins ruin the NG's for a lot of
    people.

    Flycaster, Feb 24, 2004
  19. Bryce

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Flycaster" <> wrote in message

    > "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    > > "Flycaster" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Shoot, take notes, carry your manual with you to look up things as you

    > go,
    > > > and have fun. And, if you *really* want to improve your photography,

    > the
    > > > single best thing you can do is BUY A TRIPOD. It'll slow you down,

    make
    > > you
    > > > think about the shot, and it will eliminate camera shake which will

    > open
    > > up
    > > > all sorts of different shooting opportunities for you.

    > > Already got one. In fact, I've been "teaching myself" for years; only

    in
    > > the last couple of years have I dived deeply into it in a more formal
    > > fashion.
    > >
    > > http://www.karmaphotography.com (still under construction, but lots of

    > pics
    > > up)
    > >
    > > I think I have a good general sense of taking good photographs...right

    > now,
    > > it's the little technical details that I always ignored before that I'm
    > > struggling to learn.

    > I can see that from you work - well done. This reminds me a bit of the

    last
    > time I sat down with a friend to show him some of the ins and outs of his
    > 35mm camera before he left on a trip to Europe. He is, in fact, one of

    the
    > best known LF landscape photographers in the Pacific NW, and I had to
    > continually remind myself, "Slow down, he's sold more fine art images than
    > you ever will...he just doesn't know what the buttons do."

    Thanks, that's me. :) Not one of the best-known PNW photographers, but a
    guy who knows how to take a good picture, but couldn't explain to you how he
    did it. Now that I'm learning all the technical terms and what every last
    feature on my camera does, it's opening up a whole new world to me.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Feb 24, 2004
  20. Bryce

    YoYo Guest

    Randall I agree with you, a Canon 10d is not for someone who doesn't know
    photography. He should get a point and shoot or 35mm and learn photography.
    Wow imagine being so rich you can buy a $2000.00 camera and not even know
    how to use a camera or what depth of field is??? haha sorry but thats a rich
    mans headache lol...
    Not to mention there is always an instruction book for those that dont
    know!!!

    I think buying a $2000 camera and not knowing photography is about the
    stupidest thing I've heard in a long time.

    YoYo, Feb 24, 2004