    (You need a D-VHS tape with ultra-fine magnetic particles)

    Has anyone here compared this new D-VHS format with current DVDs and
    found the quality really better than the DVDs as they say it is?

    Roy Tony, Jan 31, 2005

  2. Roy Tony

    TCS Guest

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 03:40:20 +0000 (UTC), Roy Tony <> wrote:
    >I just learned that a new VHS format, D-VHS has twice the resolution of
    >DVDs (1,080 lines) and a high definition recording option.
    >http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,41045,00.html
    >It possible to record about 400 minutes!

    Oh goody. I was looking for some media that would cost twenty times that
    of a DL DVD+R and wear out. That's so much better than a DVR that can hold
    200 hours using a hard drive that costs the same as a package of HDVHS tapes.

    TCS, Jan 31, 2005

  3. Roy Tony

    Allan Guest

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:56:02 -0600, TCS
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 03:40:20 +0000 (UTC), Roy Tony <> wrote:
    >>I just learned that a new VHS format, D-VHS has twice the resolution of
    >>DVDs (1,080 lines) and a high definition recording option.
    >>http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,41045,00.html
    >>It possible to record about 400 minutes!

    >Oh goody. I was looking for some media that would cost twenty times that
    >of a DL DVD+R

    Oh goody... someone else that doesn't have a clue what they are taking
    about.

    JVC Digital VHS Tape
    Record HDTV or regular TV with a D-VHS VCR!

    $13.99

    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1MB46IUrWDr/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=87900&I=257DF300AU

    Verbatim DL DVD+R 8.5GB Double Layer/Dual Layer Disc in Jewel Case

    $8.59/disc

    http://www.tapeandmedia.com/double_layer_dual_layer_dvd_dl_verbatim_disc.asp

    More expensive.... but NO WHERE NEAR 20x.

    >and wear out. That's so much better than a DVR that can hold
    >200 hours using a hard drive that costs the same as a package of HDVHS tapes.

    Guess you'll keep that material on the Hard Drive for all time... and
    we all know HD never fail. Let alone the power wasted keep the HD
    purring all that time.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Jan 31, 2005
  4. Roy Tony wrote:
    > I just learned that a new VHS format, D-VHS has twice the resolution of
    > DVDs (1,080 lines) and a high definition recording option.
    > http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,41045,00.html
    > It possible to record about 400 minutes!
    >
    > (You need a D-VHS tape with ultra-fine magnetic particles)
    >
    > Has anyone here compared this new D-VHS format with current DVDs and
    > found the quality really better than the DVDs as they say it is?

    Yes, the quality is HD so of course is it much better than DVD. D-VHS
    has been around for years (Honeywell had 40GB digital storage devices
    based on S-VHS VCRs in the early 90s). The HD versions have been around,
    with very limited studio support, for several years.

    Since some form of HD on 5" media will be commercially available this
    year, the impact of HD-VHS on the market will be limited to a short
    term, interim product. Expect it to be dead a year after the release of
    recordable HD on 5" media.

    Matthew

    You can't win
    You can't break even
    You can't get out of the game

    Matthew L. Martin, Jan 31, 2005
  5. Roy Tony

    Ski Guest

    Roy Tony <> wrote in news:ctk9b4$6dp$:

    > I just learned that a new VHS format, D-VHS has twice the resolution of
    > DVDs (1,080 lines) and a high definition recording option.
    > http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,41045,00.html
    > It possible to record about 400 minutes!
    >
    > (You need a D-VHS tape with ultra-fine magnetic particles)
    >
    > Has anyone here compared this new D-VHS format with current DVDs and
    > found the quality really better than the DVDs as they say it is?

    You posted on the wrong newsgroup. the people on this group hate digital
    tape recorders even tho they are much better than DVD.

    Ski, Jan 31, 2005
  6. >Subject: Re: D-VHS VCRs vs. DVD
    >From: TCS

    >Oh goody. I was looking for some media that would cost twenty times that
    >of a DL DVD+R and wear out.

    Why look for that?

    John339077353, Jan 31, 2005
  7. Roy Tony

    TCS Guest

    On 31 Jan 2005 18:04:10 GMT, John339077353 <> wrote:
    >>Subject: Re: D-VHS VCRs vs. DVD
    >>From: TCS

    >>Oh goody. I was looking for some media that would cost twenty times that
    >>of a DL DVD+R and wear out.

    >Why look for that?

    No idea. Perhaps the OP can explain what is so wonderfull about a very
    expensive version of an obsolete media.

    TCS, Jan 31, 2005
  8. Roy Tony

    Jordan Guest

    Check the date on that Wired article:

    "02:00 AM Jan. 08, 2001 PT"
    If it hasn't caught on by now then it's not going to.

    - Jordan

    Jordan, Feb 1, 2005
  9. Roy Tony

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Roy Tony wrote:
    > I just learned that a new VHS format, D-VHS has twice the resolution
    > of DVDs (1,080 lines) and a high definition recording option.
    > http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,41045,00.html
    > It possible to record about 400 minutes!
    >
    > (You need a D-VHS tape with ultra-fine magnetic particles)
    >
    > Has anyone here compared this new D-VHS format with current DVDs and
    > found the quality really better than the DVDs as they say it is?

    Heh, go back to the article and look at the date. ;)

    Mike Kohary, Feb 1, 2005
  10. Roy Tony

    Allan Guest

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:01:36 -0800, "Mike Kohary" <>
    wrote:

    >Heh, go back to the article and look at the date. ;)

    How about this one.. (Popular Mechanics - 11 Jan 2005)

    http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/television/1280026.html

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 1, 2005
  11. Roy Tony

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Allan wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:01:36 -0800, "Mike Kohary" <>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Heh, go back to the article and look at the date. ;)

    > How about this one.. (Popular Mechanics - 11 Jan 2005)
    >
    > http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/television/1280026.html

    What about it? The OP said HD-VHS was new - it's not.

    Mike Kohary, Feb 1, 2005
  12. On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:16:44 -0500, Allan
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:01:36 -0800, "Mike Kohary" <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>Heh, go back to the article and look at the date. ;)

    >How about this one.. (Popular Mechanics - 11 Jan 2005)
    >
    >http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/television/1280026.html

    Never happen. The cost of producing the players & the media is far
    higher than DVD, making a consumer entry point a non-starter,
    especially now that DVD players have virtually become a lost leader
    items in many retail stores.

    E. Barry Bruyea, Feb 1, 2005
  13. Roy Tony

    Clive Savage Guest

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 05:45:41 -0500, E. Barry Bruyea <it'>
    wrote:

    >>How about this one.. (Popular Mechanics - 11 Jan 2005)
    >>
    >>http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/television/1280026.html

    >Never happen. The cost of producing the players & the media is far
    >higher than DVD, making a consumer entry point a non-starter,
    >especially now that DVD players have virtually become a lost leader
    >items in many retail stores.

    Tape is 'so' yesterday... ;-)

    Bye for now.

    Clive.

    Clive Savage, Feb 2, 2005
  14. Roy Tony

    TCS Guest

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 05:45:41 -0500, E Barry Bruyea <it'> wrote:
    >On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:16:44 -0500, Allan
    ><> wrote:

    >>On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:01:36 -0800, "Mike Kohary" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>Heh, go back to the article and look at the date. ;)

    >>How about this one.. (Popular Mechanics - 11 Jan 2005)
    >>
    >>http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/television/1280026.html

    >Never happen. The cost of producing the players & the media is far
    >higher than DVD, making a consumer entry point a non-starter,
    >especially now that DVD players have virtually become a lost leader
    >items in many retail stores.

    Not only that, but removeable media for recording tv is becoming a thing of the
    past. A settop box with a 200G hard drive can save 200 hours of programming.
    By the time HDTV becomes commonplace, so will terabyte hard drives.
    Occasionally a show might be saved to removeable media and nobody is going to
    want it to be a media that fades.

    TCS, Feb 2, 2005
  15. Roy Tony

    Allan Guest

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 21:21:34 -0600, TCS
    <> wrote:

    >Not only that, but removeable media for recording tv is becoming a thing of the
    >past. A settop box with a 200G hard drive can save 200 hours of programming.
    >By the time HDTV becomes commonplace, so will terabyte hard drives.
    >Occasionally a show might be saved to removeable media and nobody is going to
    >want it to be a media that fades.

    My gut tells me that you can't keep everything on a HD. If you are a
    collector... that HD will fill.

    What if you want to give a copy to a friend?

    Hard Drives fail.

    Seems silly to keep a HD powered for years... when you can easily
    burn a copy .. and but it on a shelf.

    PVR for sure... I can not live without it. But, long term, when I can
    get a blank DVD for under $1... seems silly.

    "media that fades.".... DVD fades?

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 2, 2005
  16. Roy Tony

    TCS Guest

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 07:46:54 -0500, Allan <> wrote:
    >On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 21:21:34 -0600, TCS
    ><> wrote:

    >>Not only that, but removeable media for recording tv is becoming a thing of the
    >>past. A settop box with a 200G hard drive can save 200 hours of programming.
    >>By the time HDTV becomes commonplace, so will terabyte hard drives.
    >>Occasionally a show might be saved to removeable media and nobody is going to
    >>want it to be a media that fades.

    >My gut tells me that you can't keep everything on a HD. If you are a
    >collector... that HD will fill.

    >What if you want to give a copy to a friend?

    I would "save to removeable media" as I indicated in my post.
    I sure wouldn't want to save to something that is going to fade like tape.

    >Hard Drives fail.

    For timeshifting tv programs it doesn't matter. If I didn't record
    NYPD blue last night, the world won't end and I'll catch it in reruns.

    >Seems silly to keep a HD powered for years... when you can easily
    >burn a copy .. and but it on a shelf.

    >PVR for sure... I can not live without it. But, long term, when I can
    >get a blank DVD for under $1... seems silly.

    >"media that fades.".... DVD fades?

    No. Tapes fade. Note the subject line. Did you read any of the thread?

    TCS, Feb 2, 2005