D-SLR recommendations

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Musty, Apr 14, 2004.

  1. Musty

    Musty Guest

    Hi All,

    I currently have an Oly c-5050. I am an enthusiast photographer (and a
    beginner one at that). I am selling the Oly and have a few choices:

    1. Higher end "pro-sumer" (eg 8MP Oly c-8080, or canonon powershot pro 8MP)
    2. D-SLR
    3. Sit and wait it out for 6-12 months

    I really like the idea of changing lenses (as opposed to having tele/wide
    converters for the Oly). I have looked at the Oly E-1 with the 4:3 system,
    but I am not convinced. I have considered the Canon 10D for some time, but I
    am not crazy about the 1.6x magnification since I mostly do wide-angle
    shooting. I would like to get some opinions on what other choices I should
    look at. Is the 4:3 system, the way of the future? Budget wise, I want to
    stay under $2K for the camera body. How much should I budget for lenses?

    Thanks
    Musty

    Musty, Apr 14, 2004

  2. Musty

    James Duffy Guest

    Musty, I would suggest going with a dslr and #3 ...IF...you can wait
    about 6 months for the Canon 10D replacement (10DmkII). Some *guess*
    within three months...who knows?! Yet, considering Canon's track
    record, I believe it will be VERY interesting to see Canon's
    replacement for the 10D...especially considering Nikon's D70.

    james

    James Duffy, Apr 15, 2004

  3. "James Duffy" <> wrote in message
    > Musty, I would suggest going with a dslr and #3 ...IF...you can wait
    > about 6 months for the Canon 10D replacement (10DmkII). Some *guess*
    > within three months...who knows?! Yet, considering Canon's track
    > record, I believe it will be VERY interesting to see Canon's
    > replacement for the 10D...especially considering Nikon's D70.

    The Canon 10 replacement is likely to cost twice as much as a D70, and the
    1D Mk II is going to cost 4x more. I'm sure they'll be good cameras, but not
    likely to be as much camera for the money as the D70, at least until they've
    been out for a year or two.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Apr 15, 2004
  4. Musty

    Skip M Guest

    Since the current 10D doesn't cost twice as much as the D70 (>50% more) what
    information do you have that the replacement will cost that much more?
    Especially in light of the downward trend of digital prices over the history
    of the market? Not to mention the price pressure the D70 will bring to
    bear.
    And what does longevity on the market have to do with comparative value? If
    you think the Canon will come down in price after a year of two on the
    market, thus making it a better value compared to the Nikon, don't you think
    that the Nikon might have already come down in price by that time?

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Apr 15, 2004