D-SLR recommendations

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Musty, Apr 14, 2004.

  1. Musty

    Musty Guest

    Hi All,

    I currently have an Oly c-5050. I am an enthusiast photographer (and a
    beginner one at that). I am selling the Oly and have a few choices:

    1. Higher end "pro-sumer" (eg 8MP Oly c-8080, or canonon powershot pro 8MP)
    2. D-SLR
    3. Sit and wait it out for 6-12 months

    I really like the idea of changing lenses (as opposed to having tele/wide
    converters for the Oly). I have looked at the Oly E-1 with the 4:3 system,
    but I am not convinced. I have considered the Canon 10D for some time, but I
    am not crazy about the 1.6x magnification since I mostly do wide-angle
    shooting. I would like to get some opinions on what other choices I should
    look at. Is the 4:3 system, the way of the future? Budget wise, I want to
    stay under $2K for the camera body. How much should I budget for lenses?

    Thanks
    Musty

    Musty, Apr 14, 2004

  2. Musty

    Paul Howland Guest

    Musty wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I currently have an Oly c-5050. I am an enthusiast photographer (and a
    > beginner one at that). I am selling the Oly and have a few choices:
    >
    > 1. Higher end "pro-sumer" (eg 8MP Oly c-8080, or canonon powershot pro 8MP)
    > 2. D-SLR
    > 3. Sit and wait it out for 6-12 months
    >
    > I really like the idea of changing lenses (as opposed to having tele/wide
    > converters for the Oly). I have looked at the Oly E-1 with the 4:3 system,
    > but I am not convinced. I have considered the Canon 10D for some time, but I
    > am not crazy about the 1.6x magnification since I mostly do wide-angle
    > shooting. I would like to get some opinions on what other choices I should
    > look at. Is the 4:3 system, the way of the future? Budget wise, I want to
    > stay under $2K for the camera body. How much should I budget for lenses?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Musty

    Check out the new Nikon D70 DSLR - it seems to have taken the prosumer
    review markets by storm - about $1000 for the body or $1200 with a very
    reasonable 18-70mm kit lens. This is 6MP, but don't get obsessed with
    counting pixels - other factors are more important for final image
    quality unless you're planning to make huge prints.

    Paul

    Paul Howland, Apr 14, 2004

  3. "Musty" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I currently have an Oly c-5050. I am an enthusiast photographer (and a
    > beginner one at that). I am selling the Oly and have a few choices:
    >
    > 1. Higher end "pro-sumer" (eg 8MP Oly c-8080, or canonon powershot pro

    8MP)
    > 2. D-SLR
    > 3. Sit and wait it out for 6-12 months
    >
    > I really like the idea of changing lenses (as opposed to having tele/wide
    > converters for the Oly). I have looked at the Oly E-1 with the 4:3 system,
    > but I am not convinced. I have considered the Canon 10D for some time, but

    > am not crazy about the 1.6x magnification since I mostly do wide-angle
    > shooting. I would like to get some opinions on what other choices I should
    > look at. Is the 4:3 system, the way of the future? Budget wise, I want to
    > stay under $2K for the camera body. How much should I budget for lenses?

    A 6 megapixel Nikon D70 will vastly outperform an 8 megapixel consumer-level
    camera. As to the magnification factor, all of the dSLRs have some sort of
    crop factor, ranging from 1.3 to 1.6. There are two exception - the Canon
    D1S and the Kodak SLR/n. Both are full frame (no magnification factor) but
    vastly exceed your budget.

    Lenses? You can get lenses for Nikon that range from $100 to $8000. You
    would need to figure out what you're going to be shooting and use that to
    determine what range of lenses, then price the various lenses in that zoom
    range. Nikon, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina all make lenses that will fit Nikon
    cameras.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Apr 14, 2004
  4. Musty

    Musty Guest

    The D70 looks to be a very high contender. The price is very nice. I just
    read the review on dpreview.com. Thanks for the suggestions.

    Musty.

    Musty, Apr 14, 2004
  5. "Musty" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I currently have an Oly c-5050. I am an enthusiast photographer (and a
    > beginner one at that). I am selling the Oly and have a few choices:
    >
    > 1. Higher end "pro-sumer" (eg 8MP Oly c-8080, or canonon powershot pro

    8MP)
    > 2. D-SLR
    > 3. Sit and wait it out for 6-12 months
    >
    > I really like the idea of changing lenses (as opposed to having tele/wide
    > converters for the Oly). I have looked at the Oly E-1 with the 4:3 system,
    > but I am not convinced. I have considered the Canon 10D for some time, but

    > am not crazy about the 1.6x magnification since I mostly do wide-angle
    > shooting. I would like to get some opinions on what other choices I should
    > look at. Is the 4:3 system, the way of the future? Budget wise, I want to
    > stay under $2K for the camera body. How much should I budget for lenses?

    The only two choice are really the Canon 10D and the Nikon D70. If you're
    not already invested in Canon lenses, then the Nikon may be the better
    choice in your price range, so you have $900 left for lenses, rather than
    just $600.

    Above all, don't cheap out on lenses. Avoid the third party lenses like the
    plague.

    Steven M. Scharf, Apr 14, 2004
  6. "Musty" <> wrote in message
    > The D70 looks to be a very high contender. The price is very nice. I just
    > read the review on dpreview.com. Thanks for the suggestions.
    >
    > Musty.

    Yes, the Nikon D70 would really fit the bill for you. (I wish I could buy
    one.) It does have a "magnification factor"--but then, practically every
    camera does besides the Kodak Pro14/n (whatever it's called exactly) and the
    Canon EOS-1Ds. Both would blow your budget to smithereens.

    Get the Nikon D70 with the 18-70 lens and you'll end up with an equivalent
    of 27-105 (if my math is right--I assumed a factor of 1.5). You'll of course
    gain access to the entire Nikkor line of lenses--which are unparalled in
    quality, availability and wide range of choices, with the possible exception
    of the Canon lineup.

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Apr 14, 2004
  7. Oh by the way--are you selling the Olympus on eBay? Understand--"for sale"
    messages are NOT welcome here, so if you are email it to me (outside this
    thread).

    (remove the NOSPAMHOTDOG part)

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Apr 14, 2004
  8. Musty

    Musty Guest

    Thanks for the tips. I already sold it privately to a friend, sorry I cant
    help out. I was just mentioning it to explain to the group my experience
    with digital cameras. I was happy with the C-5050, but I felt that it was
    limiting in some areas. For the price-range it is a fantastic camera.

    Musty, Apr 15, 2004