D-link wireless adapter may be causeing freezing

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Unabungaa, Nov 25, 2005.

  1. Unabungaa

    Unabungaa Guest

    I have an e-machines amd 64 processor. I recently installed a d-link
    air plus Dwl-G520 wireless adapter vers. B . Since i put the adaper in
    my comp , my comp now freezes at random times (but mostly when i leave
    my computer idle wile still connected to the wireless net). I cannot
    bring up task manager or anything i simply have to restart the comp. I
    believe that the wireless adapter may be the culprit. i recently
    reinstalled the windows xp software from the recovery cd. On my
    "network connections" everything seems fine and i recently reinstalled
    the drivers and clicked on "repair" and it doesnt help. Do you think
    the pci adapter may be the problem? I did have some trouble at first
    with some of the Trial versions of some software that came with the
    comp, they corrupted other programs and caused the programs to not
    respond , and i couldnt get them to close on my comp unless i rebooted
    (which rebooting in itself took FOREVER) but i fixed that problems
    when i got rid of some of some of the trial version programs (ie
    symanted internet security trial version). And now i notice my windows
    media player plays all my cd's very slowly and choppy, and when i try
    to rip files from cd's my "comp usage " percentage goes to 100% then
    that caused a freeze ( and thats the only program i have running) I
    have Windows XP media center 2005. This comp isnt even a month old.
    What is with this machine?

    THank you
    Ungabungaa
    Unabungaa, Nov 25, 2005

  2. Re: D-link wireless adapter may be causing freezing

    Unabungaa wrote:
    > I have an e-machines amd 64 processor. I recently installed a d-link
    > air plus Dwl-G520 wireless adapter vers. B . Since i put the adaper
    > in my comp , my comp now freezes at random times (but mostly when i
    > leave my computer idle wile still connected to the wireless net). I
    > cannot bring up task manager or anything i simply have to restart the
    > comp. I believe that the wireless adapter may be the culprit. i
    > recently reinstalled the windows xp software from the recovery cd. On
    > my "network connections" everything seems fine and i recently
    > reinstalled the drivers and clicked on "repair" and it doesnt help.
    > Do you think the pci adapter may be the problem? I did have some
    > trouble at first with some of the Trial versions of some software
    > that came with the comp, they corrupted other programs and caused the
    > programs to not respond , and i couldnt get them to close on my comp
    > unless i rebooted (which rebooting in itself took FOREVER) but i
    > fixed that problems when i got rid of some of some of the trial
    > version programs (ie symanted internet security trial version). And
    > now i notice my windows media player plays all my cd's very slowly
    > and choppy, and when i try to rip files from cd's my "comp usage "
    > percentage goes to 100% then that caused a freeze ( and thats the
    > only program i have running) I have Windows XP media center 2005.
    > This comp isnt even a month old. What is with this machine?
    >
    > THank you
    > Ungabungaa

    --------------------------------
    you may have other issues on your computer, like spyware/malware. Also
    update your virus definitions and do a proper scan.
    Regarding your D-Link adapter: It sometimes helps to try it in a different
    PCI slot.
    Good luck
    H.N.
    Herbert Nagler, Nov 25, 2005

  3. "Unabungaa" <> wrote in message
    >I have an e-machines amd 64 processor. I recently installed a d-link
    > air plus Dwl-G520 wireless adapter vers. B . Since i put the adaper in
    > my comp , my comp now freezes at random times (but mostly when i leave
    > my computer idle wile still connected to the wireless net). I cannot
    > bring up task manager or anything i simply have to restart the comp. I
    > believe that the wireless adapter may be the culprit. i recently
    > reinstalled the windows xp software from the recovery cd. On my
    > "network connections" everything seems fine and i recently reinstalled
    > the drivers and clicked on "repair" and it doesnt help. Do you think
    > the pci adapter may be the problem?

    It is possible you have a dud NIC, especially if you bought a refurbished
    one from Ebay.

    However, it is also possible you may have some other problem with your
    windows. From Start/run do "sfc /scannow" without the quote marks and be
    prepared to put your XP disk in the drive. Once it is finished, reboot and
    then reinstall the driver for the NIC entirely. If it still freezes after
    that, it is more likely to be the NIC.

    One thing - do you use Zone Alarm (free or Pro)? If so, it causes a lockout
    of networking because of Automatic Lock whether you have turned that option
    off or not.
    Diamontina Cocktail, Nov 27, 2005
  4. Unabungaa

    Guest

    Had just the same problem on a Asroc 939Dual board. Moved the pci-card
    form bottom slot to the next - works fine :)
    , Dec 20, 2005