    driver because it was working ok on an older system anyway.
    TIA
    Mike

    ~Mike Hollywood, Jul 5, 2007

  2. Hi
    Routers do not have Drivers they have firmware that is embedded in their
    chips and act has form of OS.
    Updating firmware is mainly to fix Bugs, at a certain point when the product
    is stable there is No updates anymore.
    The D-Link614 should work work with WinXP.
    In many cases when the product is testes carefully upon release, there might
    be one or two updates and No more are needed.
    Many people have the impression that the firmware is some kind of magic that
    can be endlessly upgraded with features. Unfortunately it not so, the
    firmware is restricted to the Hardware features. As an example most of the
    Wireless cards that were manufactured in the past can not be upgraded to
    work with Vista.
    Why? Because their chipset were designed years ago and they can not deal
    with the new features that are included in Vista.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 5, 2007

  3. ~Mike Hollywood

    Al Dunbar Guest

    Is it also possibly true that some older adapters might simply be incapable
    of some of the more advanced security features like WPA2?

    /Al

    Al Dunbar, Jul 7, 2007
  4. thanks for the info.
    I crashed the system doing the install, but later, after talking to a
    comcast tech, found out it wasn't my fault.
    The user's isp service includes phone service and the proceedure to set up
    the router disrupted the ip address. Comcast doesn't know why that happens,
    but it does, and is easily fixed with a hardware reset of their modem. The
    reason I missed it was because it has a battery backup, so the usual way,
    you know, just turn it off, etc., doesn't work.
    Mike

    ~Mike Hollywood, Jul 9, 2007
  5. ~Mike Hollywood

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, "~Mike Hollywood" <> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >I'm going to set up a wifi system at a friend's house using a D-Link 614
    >router. D-Link's web site says it's no longer supported, but it still has
    >manuals, and firmware updates for it. It will be used in an XP home system.
    >I thought updating the driver would be a good idea because it was
    >manufactured in 2003. I couldn't find a driver on their web site, but I did
    >find a firmware update which I downloaded but haven't yet installed.
    >Does the firmware update include a driver, or should I continue the search
    >for an updated driver, or just forget about the firmware update and the
    >driver because it was working ok on an older system anyway.
    >TIA
    >Mike

    Routers do not use drivers. Its not a video card or other device like that
    that needs one.

    GMAN, Jul 10, 2007