    I don't expect anybody to have any answers (although I welcome your
    suggestions), I just wanted to whine about it. I don't feel much better...

    Bob
    zxcvbob, Jul 17, 2004

  2. zxcvbob

    Duane Arnold Guest

    zxcvbob <> wrote in
    news::

    > I just bought this POS and have been trying to set it up. It won't
    > even work reliably as a wired router -- it keeps dropping from the
    > WAN, or just locking up. I plug my old Linksys router back in and
    > power-cycle everything and it works. I put the D-Link back, power
    > off/on, and it might work or might not. If it works, it won't work
    > for very long.
    >
    > I did get the wireless part to work intermittantly. The signal
    > strength is nearly 100%, but I can only connect at 1 or 2 Mbps, and
    > then the thruput is actually a lot slower than that. Then it locks
    > up. Or it won't serve DHCP addresess.
    >
    > I don't expect anybody to have any answers (although I welcome your
    > suggestions), I just wanted to whine about it. I don't feel much
    > better...

    A lot of people at alt.internet.wireless use the D-link and may be able
    to assist you with your problems, if no one here in the NG can help you.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 17, 2004

  3. zxcvbob

    sethra Guest

    zxcvbob <> wrote in

    > I just bought this POS and have been trying to set it up. It won't
    > even work reliably as a wired router -- it keeps dropping from the
    > WAN, or just locking up. I plug my old Linksys router back in and
    > power-cycle everything and it works. I put the D-Link back, power
    > off/on, and it might work or might not. If it works, it won't work
    > for very long.

    I purchased one of these a while back also, and *always* had problems
    with it; setup went fine, but the bloody thing would drop the connection
    up to five times an hour even though signal strength was good.

    Did some research on this product on the net and found this is a very
    common issue, furthermore, a firmware upgrade didn't help.

    So I purchased a Linksys, and have had zero problems since. Should have
    gone for the Linksys from the beginning, but the Dlink was cheap.

    My recommendation: ditch it and buy a Linksys or Netgear.

    You can find all sorts of reviews, ratings, forums and help for
    networking at these websites:

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    http://www.dslreports.com/

    Regards,