    Anyone have any ideas ?

    Cheers

    Peter
    Pete Kennedy, Sep 5, 2005

  2. In news:,
    Pete Kennedy <> typed:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Back in June, I bought a D-Link DSL-G604T modem/router and because it
    > was noisy when the the dsl line was connected (it made a high-pitched
    > hissing noise), I sent it back. D-Link then sent me another but this
    > one failed to "find" the dsl telephone line so I sent that one back
    > too. So D-Link sends me another and lo-and-behold, I have the same
    > problem ! If I recall rightly, the first router found the dsl
    > connection (the light on the router lit up) and then it was up to me
    > the configure the connection so I was up and running fairly quickly.
    > I find it hard to believe that 2 routers can have the same problem so
    > I wonder if its something I'm missing. The LAN works fine by the way.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas ?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Peter

    Do you have filters on *every* phone jack in your house/office that has that
    phone line on 'em? Even if you don't actually have a phone plugged into all
    of them?
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Sep 5, 2005

  3. Pete Kennedy

    pragi Guest

    hi i have the same router i also work in a computer shop we have now
    stoped selling this router because of the high number of returns adsl
    line kept droping out and also d-links all so complicated rma (returns)
    system which frankly takes more time than it worth ne ways i am on my
    secound d-link and has been behaveing itsself fingers crossed for past
    few months it dose make that high pitched noise that u described and
    also interfears with the phone uless the erial is moved the strange
    thing about that is that itis a wired phone confuses brown matter outta
    i am sticking with mine because it is working quite well my advice GET
    A NETGEAR
    unless u got it from my shop then stick with it :)

    6ft crab
    pragi, Sep 23, 2005
  4. "pragi" <> wrote in message
    > hi i have the same router i also work in a computer shop we have now
    > stoped selling this router because of the high number of returns adsl
    > line kept droping out and also d-links all so complicated rma (returns)
    > system which frankly takes more time than it worth ne ways i am on my
    > secound d-link and has been behaveing itsself fingers crossed for past
    > few months it dose make that high pitched noise that u described and
    > also interfears with the phone uless the erial is moved the strange
    > thing about that is that itis a wired phone confuses brown matter outta
    > i am sticking with mine because it is working quite well my advice GET
    > A NETGEAR
    > unless u got it from my shop then stick with it :)
    >
    > 6ft crab

    This is a load of rubbish. Have seen them used in a lot of businesses and
    use one myself. They are a brilliant little router that works well.
    Diamontina Cocktail, Sep 23, 2005
  5. Pete Kennedy

    ChrisC Guest

    Hi, I've had a G604T for a year now and had no issues with it aside from the
    'slight' noise. However it's easily drowned out by my desktop case fans....
    ChrisC

    ChrisC, Sep 23, 2005
  6. Pete Kennedy

    pragi Guest

    i think you get me wrong as i said i have one myself that is working
    without fault apart from having to be powered down every so often in a
    reset type way this is only for the fact that my ping is high in games
    otherwise..
    with the returns i am saying returns where 1 or 2 outta 5 sold this is
    an un-acceptable number for a buisness specaly when the rma system
    takes about 20mins per unit

    jus what i know no reason to lie....

    6ftcrab
    pragi, Sep 23, 2005
  7. Pete Kennedy

    Guest

    As a local independent computer shop, I must say that the amount of
    dogs going for a weewee up against my front facing wall is
    unnacceptable !
    Add that to the noise coming from above in the NHS waiting room for
    perpetually demented buffoons and I think you'll find that is a lot
    easier to be a shop on an industrial estate out of town.
    Except for the fact that if I was on an industrial estate then that
    goon Alex Dyke would keep me awake in the mornings !

    Have any other readers notices that things aren't what they once were,
    and do they perhaps remember when this was all just fields?
    , Sep 23, 2005
  8. Diamontina Cocktail wrote:

    > This is a load of rubbish. Have seen them used in a lot of businesses
    > and use one myself. They are a brilliant little router that works
    > well.

    -------------------
    I'm trying to find out, what causes my connection droputs with this unit.
    Do you have a WLAN connection working? Can you tell me more about your
    throughput on high transfer rates?
    Does the temperature increase cause dropouts?
    I'd be interested to hear more about this from D-Link 604 users.
    My max is 10 Mbps, which wouldn't worry me so much, but after about 2
    minutes, the connection drops with this load.

    Anybody experiences anything similar ?

    Thanks
    H.N.
    Herbert Nagler, Sep 25, 2005
  9. Pete Kennedy

    ChrisC Guest

    Hi, I use wireless with my two laptops, they'll both work in the garden,
    despite the aerial being 4 floors away, I've a external D-Link Ant24 fitted.
    My connections aways show excellent to very good, 54mbps and I get no
    connection drops. What firmware are you using and have tried changing the
    channel that the wireless is using?
    ChrisC

    ChrisC, Sep 25, 2005
  10. ChrisC wrote:
    > Hi, I use wireless with my two laptops, they'll both work in the
    > garden, despite the aerial being 4 floors away, I've a external
    > D-Link Ant24 fitted. My connections aways show excellent to very
    > good, 54mbps and I get no connection drops. What firmware are you
    > using and have tried changing the channel that the wireless is using?
    > ChrisC

    ----------------
    Chris, thanks for your reply.
    I have the latest firmware on all units, and i've changed the channels with
    no success.
    The reception strength shows around 50% on the PC with the wireless PCI
    adapter.
    I don't have connection problems unless I send big files. My throughput was
    never higher than 10 Mbps.
    For more info, see the other thread below:
    "WLAN dropping out on big file transfer"

    H.N.
    Herbert Nagler, Sep 25, 2005
  11. Pete Kennedy

    ChrisC Guest

    Hi again, what laptops are you using?

    ChrisC, Sep 26, 2005
  12. "Herbert Nagler" <> wrote in message
    > Diamontina Cocktail wrote:
    >

    >> This is a load of rubbish. Have seen them used in a lot of businesses
    >> and use one myself. They are a brilliant little router that works
    >> well.

    > -------------------
    > I'm trying to find out, what causes my connection droputs with this unit.
    > Do you have a WLAN connection working? Can you tell me more about your
    > throughput on high transfer rates?
    > Does the temperature increase cause dropouts?

    Temperature increase on anything can cause dropouts, especially modems.

    > I'd be interested to hear more about this from D-Link 604 users.
    > My max is 10 Mbps, which wouldn't worry me so much, but after about 2
    > minutes, the connection drops with this load.
    >
    > Anybody experiences anything similar ?

    Nothing like that at all. I don't have mine on 24 hours a day simply because
    I live in a high destruction area with lightning storms and the rest. I turn
    mine off when not in and unplug but I can be going 18 hours in a row and
    never a problem. I believe an individual unit can be a dud but the line has
    been fabulous wherever I have used them. Putting another in at a Govt office
    in the next week.
    Diamontina Cocktail, Sep 26, 2005
  13. "Herbert Nagler" <> wrote in message
    > ChrisC wrote:
    >> Hi, I use wireless with my two laptops, they'll both work in the
    >> garden, despite the aerial being 4 floors away, I've a external
    >> D-Link Ant24 fitted. My connections aways show excellent to very
    >> good, 54mbps and I get no connection drops. What firmware are you
    >> using and have tried changing the channel that the wireless is using?
    >> ChrisC

    > ----------------
    > Chris, thanks for your reply.
    > I have the latest firmware on all units, and i've changed the channels
    > with
    > no success.
    > The reception strength shows around 50% on the PC with the wireless PCI
    > adapter.
    > I don't have connection problems unless I send big files. My throughput
    > was
    > never higher than 10 Mbps.
    > For more info, see the other thread below:
    > "WLAN dropping out on big file transfer"
    >
    > H.N.

    What wi-fi NIC are you using? I find the PCI variety invariably are the
    cause of dropouts. That is why I go for external USB ones where possible.
    Diamontina Cocktail, Sep 26, 2005
  14. "ChrisC" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I've had a G604T for a year now and had no issues with it aside from
    > the 'slight' noise. However it's easily drowned out by my desktop case
    > fans....

    I have read about people saying there is a noise before. Never heard it
    before. Just out of interest, if you open the case when the modem is in use,
    does the noise drop off?
    Diamontina Cocktail, Sep 26, 2005
  15. "pragi" <> wrote in message
    >i think you get me wrong as i said i have one myself that is working
    > without fault apart from having to be powered down every so often in a
    > reset type way this is only for the fact that my ping is high in games
    > otherwise..
    > with the returns i am saying returns where 1 or 2 outta 5 sold this is
    > an un-acceptable number for a buisness specaly when the rma system
    > takes about 20mins per unit
    >
    > jus what i know no reason to lie....
    >
    > 6ftcrab

    They don't get those sort of returns however. I also have been using them in
    private business installations and am soon to put one in a Govt dept. I also
    use one myself. No problems to date.
    Diamontina Cocktail, Sep 26, 2005
  16. ChrisC wrote:
    > Hi again, what laptops are you using?
    > ChrisC

    ---------------------
    no laptops, just 2 desktops.
    One with a wired D-Link DFE-528 TX PCI adapter, the other one wireless
    D-510.

    I since experimented with a wired run (25 m), switching off the wireless
    card and using onboard ethernet on the receiving PC.
    If I start the heavy transfer, the copying first flies along with ~80 Mbps.
    No dropouts, but after about 3 minutes it throttles itself to about 14 Mbps
    and my software on the sending desktop becomes real sluggish. I have to
    reboot to be back in business.
    I"m looking at software aspects now. It is as if my ethernet software cannot
    cope with heavy traffic. Now I'd like to find out, which software determines
    the transfers. Is it Windows (2000) or is it firmware from the router? (I
    have no clue about this).
    It's not much of a hassle, because I don't have to send heavy files often,
    but I'd still like to find out what causes it.
    Normal traffic like internet traffic is ok.

    H.N.
    Herbert Nagler, Sep 26, 2005
  17. "Herbert Nagler" <> wrote in message
    > ChrisC wrote:
    >> Hi again, what laptops are you using?
    >> ChrisC

    > ---------------------
    > no laptops, just 2 desktops.
    > One with a wired D-Link DFE-528 TX PCI adapter, the other one wireless
    > D-510.
    >
    > I since experimented with a wired run (25 m), switching off the wireless
    > card and using onboard ethernet on the receiving PC.
    > If I start the heavy transfer, the copying first flies along with ~80
    > Mbps.
    > No dropouts, but after about 3 minutes it throttles itself to about 14
    > Mbps
    > and my software on the sending desktop becomes real sluggish. I have to
    > reboot to be back in business.

    You have the speed set to auto somewhere in your hardware by the sound of
    it. This may or may not be a good thing depending on how much interference
    you get. I set mine to the highest that my NICs could do and it has resulted
    in better transfer times because, for reasons unknown, the NICs would drop
    back in a continuous transfer, to a slower speed even though there was no
    reason to do so.

    > I"m looking at software aspects now. It is as if my ethernet software
    > cannot
    > cope with heavy traffic. Now I'd like to find out, which software
    > determines
    > the transfers. Is it Windows (2000) or is it firmware from the router? (I
    > have no clue about this).

    It's possible. For example, Boinc can be set to use all the available CPU
    cycles. A lot of spyware and some trojans do the same, too. Your antivirus
    may also be causing this in transfers and if you have antivirus at both ends
    then it may be a doubling effect.
    Diamontina Cocktail, Sep 27, 2005
  18. Diamontina Cocktail wrote:

    > You have the speed set to auto somewhere in your hardware by the
    > sound of it. This may or may not be a good thing depending on how
    > much interference you get. I set mine to the highest that my NICs
    > could do and it has resulted in better transfer times because, for
    > reasons unknown, the NICs would drop back in a continuous transfer,
    > to a slower speed even though there was no reason to do so.

    --snip---
    > It's possible. For example, Boinc can be set to use all the available
    > CPU cycles. A lot of spyware and some trojans do the same, too. Your
    > antivirus may also be causing this in transfers and if you have
    > antivirus at both ends then it may be a doubling effect.

    --------------
    Diamontina, thanks for your reply !

    Speed in the G604T is indeed set to auto (default). But this should affect
    only wireless transfer. But I'll check this out when next time I switch back
    to wireless (disabled atm).
    I might check the NICs next, if there's an adjustment. I must admit, I don't
    have ideal transmitting conditions. There are 2 brickwalls in the way. But
    the direct ethernet connection via CAT5 also puzzles me. I also downloaded a
    netsniffer, which might give me some clue.
    Thanks for the suggestions about the anti-virus software. I'll disable that
    too, as well as the firewalls, which I'm still running on both PCs, although
    with set IP permissions.
    It'll take me a few days, but I'll report back.

    H.N.
    Herbert Nagler, Sep 27, 2005
  19. Pete Kennedy

    ChrisC Guest

    Hi, Diamontina, if I unplug the phone line the noise stops, as for taking
    the case apart I think it would only make the noise slightly louder and
    something I'm not about to do...
    ChrisC

    ChrisC, Sep 27, 2005
  20. Excuse the full post but the reason I asked about opening the case goes back
    to the 80s. A 2400 baud dial-up modem had just come out over here, I knew
    the owners of the company that made it and when I bought one, not long
    after, I noted line noise galore. It was Summer, the room wasn't air
    conditioned and the old modem, put back in use, didn't have that problem.
    So, I took the lid off the case to see if there was a dry solder or
    something else causing it. I didn't find anything and was using the modem at
    the time so didn't put the top back on and while using it the line noise
    stopped. I put the top back on and it started again so I assumed it was
    heat. I took the top off again and it went after a few minutes once more. I
    reported this to the owners who didn't understand why putting vents in the
    hood of the modem should make a difference so I told them to test. They did
    and next model came out with vent holes from then on.

    Heat could be the problem where you are, too. Taking the top off will test
    the idea and let's face it, if it is a defect in manufacture that can only
    be overcome by opening the case, you have a right to take it back or get
    D-Link to do something. Worth the effort in your case I would think.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Sep 27, 2005