    I am thinking about going back to 2.50, but 2.70 includes support for WPA2
    and some other features.
    TW

    TW, Oct 7, 2005

  2. TW

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    If you infer the Wireless working from the Signal Strength Bars it might be
    meaningless try to measure the actual
    transfer.http://www.ezlan.net/faq#transfer
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "TW" <twilckenATmsnDOTcom> wrote in message
    > I am using a D-Link DI624 router-excellent product, no serious problems. I
    > upgraded my firmware from 2.50 to 2.70 and noticed that my range

    decreased.

    Jack, Oct 7, 2005

  3. TW

    TW Guest

    Jack
    I am not trying to measure xfer speed.
    My question involves upgrading firmware and seeing the signal strength
    change after the upgrade.
    I see on the Dlink.com site that the "static super G" mode has been removed
    to conform with the 802.11 standards, while at the same time, supporting the
    WPA2 802.11i standard using firmware 2.70, also seems to remove the XR mode
    or at least degrade it..

    Thanks anyway

    Anyone else?
    TW

    I just want to know if anyone else has seen a decrease in range after
    upgrading from firmware 2.50 to 2.70

    TW, Oct 7, 2005
  4. TW

    speeder Guest

    On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 19:59:02 -0500, "TW" <twilckenATmsnDOTcom> wrote:

    >I am using a D-Link DI624 router-excellent product, no serious problems. I
    >upgraded my firmware from 2.50 to 2.70 and noticed that my range decreased.
    >Before the upgrade my router was going through several walls and still
    >getting excellent signal, after upgrade signal is just good without moving
    >or changing anything but the firmware.
    >
    >Anyone else notice the same thing as me?
    >
    >I am thinking about going back to 2.50, but 2.70 includes support for WPA2
    >and some other features.
    >TW

    Previously, were you using Static-Turbo mode?

    For 2.53 the D-Link site states:
    "The Static-Turbo mode option has been removed to conform with Wi-Fi
    Alliance certification requirements. All future firmware releases for
    this product will no longer feature this mode of operation."

    IIRC, Static-Turbo would use ALL the channels (1-11) to transmit data
    increasing speed and range. It is a proprietary solution that hogs all
    the channels in detriment to your neighbors. No wonder so many people
    complain about wireless connectivity issues, these ideas were
    selfishly trying to increase performance at the expense of
    interference with others. I'm sure other vendors implemented similar
    ideas at some point. Thankfully, the Wi-Fi Alliance would deny
    certification for these products forcing manufacturers to play fair.

    speeder, Oct 7, 2005