D-Link AP problems (quite long)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by -=rjh=-, Apr 20, 2005.

  1. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    I'm having "issues" with a D-Link DWL2000AP+ access point, the following
    are excerpts from my email(s) to Tech Support. I'd appreciate any
    comments from anyone familiar with this problem, or can suggest anything
    I might have missed.

    ==========

    I'd like some help resolving issues with a DWL-2000AP+ .

    The unit performed flawlessly for the first several months it was
    installed, but since then has steadily deteriorated to the point where
    it is no longer really usable. It is about 8-10 months old now.

    The AP will work acceptably for a generally random time (currently less
    than a day, sometimes only a few hours or less and in general getting
    shorter) but then performance deteriorates to a point where network
    access becomes intermittent and slow, or impossible. A soft restart
    using the web interface will usually fix this. Sometimes more than one
    restart is necessary. At no point does the D-Link WiFi monitor show any
    change in signal strength or wireless connectivity - only in network
    activity. At no point does Netstumbler show any change in signal
    strength. Rebooting the laptop or resetting the PC card (DWL-G650+)
    makes no difference to the situation.

    Even though network access is impossible, the web based interface loads
    very quickly if viewed on a WiFi connected PC, but not on an ethernet
    connected PC. I have tried using the AP with different ethernet
    switches, ports and cables, which makes no difference. I had wondered if
    this was temperature related, but it is getting quite cold now and this
    problem is still getting worse.

    When this AP was first installed, videos would stream 100% fine, but it
    has been months since performance was consistently that good; in fact,
    on a good day now even streaming mp3 is usually unreliable.

    =========(Upgraded to latest firmware supplied)=======

    Thanks for your prompt reply and the firmware. No problem upgrading, but
    the problem continues.

    For example, after a reset, I am able to play multiple videos with the
    D-Link monitor showing a throughput of up to 3500Kbps, but after the
    performance starts to drop, I am unable to play even one video smoothly,
    with the monitor showing a throughput of about 500Kbps. After a reset I
    get up to 3500Kbps again.

    I am 100% convinced that the issue is not related to the wireless side
    of the AP, as although performance through the AP to ethernet may drop
    to almost zero, at the same time performance between two wireless
    devices connected to the AP continues to be very good, and I am always
    able to access the web control interface on the AP.

    ==========================

    What do you guys think?

    TIA

    -=rjh=-, Apr 20, 2005

  2. -=rjh=-

    Richard Guest

    > What do you guys think?

    Take it back to the retailer, make it there problem

    Then if you get your money back buy a linksys

    Richard, Apr 20, 2005

  3. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Richard wrote:

    >> What do you guys think?

    > Take it back to the retailer, make it there problem

    Not bought at retail.

    > Then if you get your money back buy a linksys

    If not? If supplier tests and can't find a problem? If supplier chooses
    to replace? I may need to provide more information or details.

    I could well be stuck with the same problem and no warranty; that's why
    I'm asking here.

    -=rjh=-, Apr 21, 2005
  4. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >

    >>> What do you guys think?

    >> Take it back to the retailer, make it there problem

    > Not bought at retail.
    >

    >> Then if you get your money back buy a linksys
    >>

    > If not? If supplier tests and can't find a problem? If supplier chooses
    > to replace? I may need to provide more information or details.
    >
    > I could well be stuck with the same problem and no warranty; that's why
    > I'm asking here.

    Oh yes, the kicker is, I've just been told by tech support that this is
    Microsoft's problem.

    -=rjh=-, Apr 21, 2005
  5. -=rjh=-

    Shane Guest

    > Oh yes, the kicker is, I've just been told by tech support that this is
    > Microsoft's problem.

    if you've got *nix there (even knoppix) then you _should_ be able to prove
    them wrong on that front
    (assuming no driver issues with *nix)

    Shane, Apr 21, 2005
  6. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Shane wrote:
    >>Oh yes, the kicker is, I've just been told by tech support that this is
    >>Microsoft's problem.

    > if you've got *nix there (even knoppix) then you _should_ be able to prove
    > them wrong on that front
    > (assuming no driver issues with *nix)

    Yeah, right :) I have never, ever been able to get my laptop wireless
    card working under Linux (I probably could, but not without spending
    more time than I'd like sorting it).

    I just don't see how they can even consider the problem is an OS, as the
    AP is a totally independent device.

    But I can probably set up a different system with a different OS and
    different card that should confirm the problem isn't related to a
    particular PC or OS, although I would have thought I'd already covered
    that in my description, as two wireless PCs continue to communicate
    through the AP even when the wired network is inaccessible.

    -=rjh=-, Apr 21, 2005
  7. -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >

    >>> What do you guys think?

    >> Take it back to the retailer, make it there problem

    > Not bought at retail.
    >

    >> Then if you get your money back buy a linksys

    I second that, I wasn't that impressed with the stablity of my DI-624
    router..

    At least with the WAP54G Linksys box you can flash it with HyperWap and
    up the tx power to 84mW. If you buy a WRT54G(S) router (runs linux) you
    have even more firmware choices as Linksys has GPLed the code for both
    of these boxes.

    Graeme Woollett, Apr 21, 2005
  8. -=rjh=-

    Richard Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >

    >>> What do you guys think?

    >> Take it back to the retailer, make it there problem

    > Not bought at retail.
    >

    >> Then if you get your money back buy a linksys
    >>

    > If not? If supplier tests and can't find a problem? If supplier chooses
    > to replace? I may need to provide more information or details.
    >
    > I could well be stuck with the same problem and no warranty; that's why
    > I'm asking here.

    I had nothing but problems with my 2 dlink 2000ap's when I was trying to use
    them as a wireless bridge out to the shed...

    Client mode was no good, it didnt pass broadcast packets from the lan to the
    PC's connected to the client mode device in the shed, dlinks support was no use,
    telling me to change firmware to a newer/older version (depending what I had on
    the APs at the time) - one of the versions would pass the broadcast but not let
    me have more then one PC connected at the other end.

    Then when trying bridge mode (means I cant use the laptop off it) I would be
    able to pass broadcast for a while, but the whole thing would die after a while.

    I also had huge problems with it stopping working when using it as an AP for a
    basic wireless card in the laptop. There tech support was full of helpfull
    suggestions like turning off wpa, changing to 40 bit wep, changing the wireless
    card for a dlink one, and all sorts of other crap suggestions.

    2 linksyses just worked.

    2 linksyses with the sveasoft firmware works great, and since its WDS bridging,
    both accesspoints are also working as an accesspoint and a bridge, so I get good
    wireless coverage for the laptop in the shed too, and working wpa support.

    I would suggest you just cut your losses with the dlink rubbish. read the forums
    at nzwireless.org for more horror stories...

    Richard, Apr 21, 2005
  9. "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    > -=rjh=- wrote:

    >>> Take it back to the retailer, make it there problem

    >> Not bought at retail.
    >>

    >>> Then if you get your money back buy a linksys
    >>>

    >> If not? If supplier tests and can't find a problem? If supplier chooses
    >> to replace? I may need to provide more information or details.
    >>
    >> I could well be stuck with the same problem and no warranty; that's why
    >> I'm asking here.

    > Oh yes, the kicker is, I've just been told by tech support that this is
    > Microsoft's problem.

    I have returned two D-LINK AP before, replaced by Belkin. And the Wireless
    Media Player DSM-320, that could not connect to a wireless AP, even though
    they were sitting next to each other.

    Seriously, D-LINK is not my choice for anything these days.

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz

    Mauricio Freitas, Apr 21, 2005
  10. -=rjh=-

    Adam Guest

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 23:38:52 +1200, Mauricio Freitas wrote:

    >I have returned two D-LINK AP before, replaced by Belkin. And the Wireless
    >Media Player DSM-320, that could not connect to a wireless AP, even though
    >they were sitting next to each other.
    >
    >Seriously, D-LINK is not my choice for anything these days.

    I have to agree. I have a DSL-504 which is such a P.O.S. that my
    trusty old Nokia M1122 is more stable.

    Adam.

    Adam, Apr 21, 2005
  11. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    > "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>-=rjh=- wrote:

    >>>Not bought at retail.

    >>>If not? If supplier tests and can't find a problem? If supplier chooses
    >>>to replace? I may need to provide more information or details.
    >>>
    >>>I could well be stuck with the same problem and no warranty; that's why
    >>>I'm asking here.

    >>Oh yes, the kicker is, I've just been told by tech support that this is
    >>Microsoft's problem.

    > I have returned two D-LINK AP before, replaced by Belkin. And the Wireless
    > Media Player DSM-320, that could not connect to a wireless AP, even though
    > they were sitting next to each other.
    >
    > Seriously, D-LINK is not my choice for anything these days.

    I've been doing some digging around, and although this problem is
    relatively obscure and hard to find mention of (mainly because I guess
    the AP just stops working, and it is harder to figure out the details) I
    have been able to find a couple of references to the problem.

    Although D-Link have been telling me they don't know anything about this
    problem, I did find a reference that D-Link apparently have released a
    later firmware that fixes the problem.

    And a nice piece of engineering it is, too. It resets the AP every 80min
    or so to stop it getting into a state where it stops functioning.

    How can a company operate like this? The time that must have been wasted
    due to their product must be significant, they should have just recalled
    them.

    Don't think I'll be buying D-Link again, hope I can return this unit.

    -=rjh=-, Apr 21, 2005
  12. -=rjh=- wrote:
    > How can a company operate like this? The time that must have been wasted
    > due to their product must be significant, they should have just recalled
    > them.

    They probably weigh up recall costs and support costs, and support costs
    came up as less.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 21, 2005
  13. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> How can a company operate like this? The time that must have been
    >> wasted due to their product must be significant, they should have just
    >> recalled them.

    > They probably weigh up recall costs and support costs, and support costs
    > came up as less.

    Their own support costs maybe less, but once their customers figure
    their own support costs are higher for that product, they'll avoid
    buying D-Link at any time in future.

    Just like I now absolutely refuse to buy Pentax or Taubmans *anything*,
    prefer not to buy ATI (although I'm regretting not sticking to that
    decision) I can add D-Link to my list. The time I've wasted on all of
    those products far exceeds their cost, by many, many times.

    -=rjh=-, Apr 21, 2005
  14. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > I also had huge problems with it stopping working when using it as an AP
    > for a basic wireless card in the laptop. There tech support was full of
    > helpfull suggestions like turning off wpa, changing to 40 bit wep,
    > changing the wireless card for a dlink one, and all sorts of other crap
    > suggestions.

    Pretty much my experience, both with the original problem, and tech support.

    > 2 linksyses just worked.
    >
    > 2 linksyses with the sveasoft firmware works great, and since its WDS
    > bridging, both accesspoints are also working as an accesspoint and a
    > bridge, so I get good wireless coverage for the laptop in the shed too,
    > and working wpa support.

    What model Linksys?

    TIA

    -=rjh=-, Apr 21, 2005
  15. -=rjh=-

    Richard Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:

    > What model Linksys?

    wrt54Gs's

    Richard, Apr 22, 2005
  16. -=rjh=-

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 10:58:51 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >> What do you guys think?

    >Take it back to the retailer, make it there problem
    >
    >Then if you get your money back buy a linksys

    Don't ever buy a Linksys! Here's an example of one of their crap
    models getting the reviews it deserves.

    http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/Product_Reviews.asp?pr=WAG54G&manuf=Linksys

    DoggNZ, Apr 22, 2005
  17. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    DoggNZ wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 10:58:51 +1200, Richard <> wrote:
    >

    >>>What do you guys think?

    >>Take it back to the retailer, make it there problem
    >>
    >>Then if you get your money back buy a linksys

    > Don't ever buy a Linksys! Here's an example of one of their crap
    > models getting the reviews it deserves.
    >

    > http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/Product_Reviews.asp?pr=WAG54G&manuf=Linksys

    Well, one person thought the WAG54G was OK :)

    Yet, people absolutely rave about the WRT54G/WRT54GS; there seems to be
    good firmware support, and they aren't expensive, and they have have a 3
    year warranty.

    Heck, you can even add serial ports to them.

    -=rjh=-, Apr 22, 2005
  18. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> What model Linksys?

    > wrt54Gs's

    Seriously thinking about getting one of these no matter what the outcome
    with the D-Link; they aren't very expensive, either.

    Thanks

    -=rjh=-, Apr 22, 2005
  19. -=rjh=-

    Steve Guest

    I have had a 504 & 624+ which after upgrading the firmware kept locking out
    (for a minute every two minutes!!). They couldn't sort this so dlink (after
    months of emails) exchanged them for a G604T - which seems to work (well
    better than the other units anyway). Of course it makes a high pitched noise
    which drives you mad in a quiet room. I like dlinks products/marketing &
    would love them to work but it seems they don't always. I wouldn't buy
    another one.

    Steve, Apr 22, 2005
  20. -=rjh=-

    Mackin Guest

    <snip>

    I had the same problem with the same model of access point, it started after
    about 3 months of use. I went and bought a 3Com Wireless 11g, had the
    D-Link replaced under warranty and sold it on TradeMe. The 3Com has
    performed faultlessly for over a year now.

    Mackin.

    Mackin, Apr 22, 2005