    related to the modem - I never had this problem with the old Plexuscom
    modem - if so, is this something I could fix in the modem configuration?

    Thanks.

    Gib Bogle, Mar 23, 2009

  2. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > I chose a D-Link wireless ADSL modem, but I'm not happy with the
    > performance. Currently I'm using it in wired mode, i.e. it's connected
    > by cable to the only machine in use. Intermittently (and often enough
    > to be very annoying) while surfing the web a page takes a long time to
    > load. On these occasions the CPU is showing 100% activity, and the
    > process that is using all the CPU is services.exe. Can someone tell me
    > what could be causing services.exe to fire up? I'm assuming that it's
    > related to the modem - I never had this problem with the old Plexuscom
    > modem - if so, is this something I could fix in the modem configuration?
    >
    > Thanks.

    An extra piece of info: I originally installed an ASUS wireless network
    card in this machine, but then removed it and went back to the wired
    card because the wireless is not needed yet. On the hunch that the
    services.exe executing might be related to the now-missing ASUS card I
    went into the Services list and changed ASWLSVC from automatic to
    manual. We'll see if it has any effect.

    Gib Bogle, Mar 23, 2009

  3. Gib Bogle

    Me Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> I chose a D-Link wireless ADSL modem, but I'm not happy with the
    >> performance. Currently I'm using it in wired mode, i.e. it's
    >> connected by cable to the only machine in use. Intermittently (and
    >> often enough to be very annoying) while surfing the web a page takes a
    >> long time to load. On these occasions the CPU is showing 100%
    >> activity, and the process that is using all the CPU is services.exe.
    >> Can someone tell me what could be causing services.exe to fire up?
    >> I'm assuming that it's related to the modem - I never had this problem
    >> with the old Plexuscom modem - if so, is this something I could fix in
    >> the modem configuration?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > An extra piece of info: I originally installed an ASUS wireless network
    > card in this machine, but then removed it and went back to the wired
    > card because the wireless is not needed yet. On the hunch that the
    > services.exe executing might be related to the now-missing ASUS card I
    > went into the Services list and changed ASWLSVC from automatic to
    > manual. We'll see if it has any effect.

    Are you running Vista? IIRC in Vista, services.exe fires up for windows
    update. Windows update, vista, the default firewall settings in (some)
    vista installs, and MS's (piss poor) support on the issue are a pain in
    the arse for me at present, but that's another story.
    Services.exe firing up and using 100% cpu at the same time that
    web-surfing dramatically slows down might be telling you that it's time
    for a very thorough virus scan.

    Me, Mar 24, 2009
  4. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Me wrote:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> Gib Bogle wrote:
    >>> I chose a D-Link wireless ADSL modem, but I'm not happy with the
    >>> performance. Currently I'm using it in wired mode, i.e. it's
    >>> connected by cable to the only machine in use. Intermittently (and
    >>> often enough to be very annoying) while surfing the web a page takes
    >>> a long time to load. On these occasions the CPU is showing 100%
    >>> activity, and the process that is using all the CPU is services.exe.
    >>> Can someone tell me what could be causing services.exe to fire up?
    >>> I'm assuming that it's related to the modem - I never had this
    >>> problem with the old Plexuscom modem - if so, is this something I
    >>> could fix in the modem configuration?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> An extra piece of info: I originally installed an ASUS wireless
    >> network card in this machine, but then removed it and went back to the
    >> wired card because the wireless is not needed yet. On the hunch that
    >> the services.exe executing might be related to the now-missing ASUS
    >> card I went into the Services list and changed ASWLSVC from automatic
    >> to manual. We'll see if it has any effect.
    > >

    > Are you running Vista? IIRC in Vista, services.exe fires up for windows
    > update. Windows update, vista, the default firewall settings in (some)
    > vista installs, and MS's (piss poor) support on the issue are a pain in
    > the arse for me at present, but that's another story.
    > Services.exe firing up and using 100% cpu at the same time that
    > web-surfing dramatically slows down might be telling you that it's time
    > for a very thorough virus scan.

    No, I'm using W2k. I believe I am well protected by Avast, although no
    anti-virus software is perfect. These slowdowns started when I switched
    over to the D-Link modem and the ASUS wireless network card. Stopping
    the ASWLSVC service had no effect.

    Gib Bogle, Mar 24, 2009
  5. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Me wrote:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> Gib Bogle wrote:
    >>> I chose a D-Link wireless ADSL modem, but I'm not happy with the
    >>> performance. Currently I'm using it in wired mode, i.e. it's
    >>> connected by cable to the only machine in use. Intermittently (and
    >>> often enough to be very annoying) while surfing the web a page takes
    >>> a long time to load. On these occasions the CPU is showing 100%
    >>> activity, and the process that is using all the CPU is services.exe.
    >>> Can someone tell me what could be causing services.exe to fire up?
    >>> I'm assuming that it's related to the modem - I never had this
    >>> problem with the old Plexuscom modem - if so, is this something I
    >>> could fix in the modem configuration?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> An extra piece of info: I originally installed an ASUS wireless
    >> network card in this machine, but then removed it and went back to the
    >> wired card because the wireless is not needed yet. On the hunch that
    >> the services.exe executing might be related to the now-missing ASUS
    >> card I went into the Services list and changed ASWLSVC from automatic
    >> to manual. We'll see if it has any effect.
    > >

    > Are you running Vista? IIRC in Vista, services.exe fires up for windows
    > update. Windows update, vista, the default firewall settings in (some)
    > vista installs, and MS's (piss poor) support on the issue are a pain in
    > the arse for me at present, but that's another story.
    > Services.exe firing up and using 100% cpu at the same time that
    > web-surfing dramatically slows down might be telling you that it's time
    > for a very thorough virus scan.

    I looked in the Event Viewer and found an error entry at the exact time
    of the most recent hangup. The message is:
    Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the
    Dnscache service.
    So the problem is related to the DNS caching. Online I found a message
    about this, saying that the W2k DNS Cache Client service has a bug, and
    can't handle very large host files. Spybot S&D creates a very long list
    of bad URLs in the hosts file. A workaround is to delete out all these
    added entries - of course, the downside is decreased protection from
    spyware.

    Gib Bogle, Mar 24, 2009
  6. Gib Bogle

    Me Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > Me wrote:
    >> Gib Bogle wrote:

    >>> An extra piece of info: I originally installed an ASUS wireless
    >>> network card in this machine, but then removed it and went back to
    >>> the wired card because the wireless is not needed yet. On the hunch
    >>> that the services.exe executing might be related to the now-missing
    >>> ASUS card I went into the Services list and changed ASWLSVC from
    >>> automatic to manual. We'll see if it has any effect.
    >> >

    >> Are you running Vista? IIRC in Vista, services.exe fires up for
    >> windows update. Windows update, vista, the default firewall settings
    >> in (some) vista installs, and MS's (piss poor) support on the issue
    >> are a pain in the arse for me at present, but that's another story.
    >> Services.exe firing up and using 100% cpu at the same time that
    >> web-surfing dramatically slows down might be telling you that it's
    >> time for a very thorough virus scan.

    > I looked in the Event Viewer and found an error entry at the exact time
    > of the most recent hangup. The message is:
    > Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the
    > Dnscache service.
    > So the problem is related to the DNS caching. Online I found a message
    > about this, saying that the W2k DNS Cache Client service has a bug, and
    > can't handle very large host files. Spybot S&D creates a very long list
    > of bad URLs in the hosts file. A workaround is to delete out all these
    > added entries - of course, the downside is decreased protection from
    > spyware.

    An extensive hosts file is what I'd consider putting on someone else's
    computer. Though it's been a godsend in blocking some sites from kids,
    and fortunately so far appropriate unblocking instructions seem to be
    absent on the *horrible game forums. Some of my children's otherwise
    very savvy friends remain baffled - and somewhat alarmed at the prospect
    that I might share that snippet with their parents. Spybot also locks
    the hosts file, so unless they knew to reboot in safe mode, or use
    "unlocker" or similar program, then they're fairly well stuffed. If they
    get around that, then there's always IP filters in the ADSL router (even
    my cheap CNet model), but I'd rather not do that, as they'd eventually
    find the reset button, and that would be a darned nuisance, requiring
    disassembly and hardware modification to confound them.
    For me, I trust Firefox inbuilt dodgy/suspect site warnings combined
    with some common sense (or luck?), a hardware firewall, and freeware AV
    (Avira) which has served me well for about 10 years now.
    *Horrible games are the ones that kids get addicted to easily, take up a
    lot of their precious, short childhood time, and the "social networking"
    aspect of them - if any - consists mainly of grunts and abuse. I'd
    rather they went outside and threw rocks at each other - at least they'd
    learn something.

    Me, Mar 24, 2009
  7. Gib Bogle

    Enkidu Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > Me wrote:
    >> Gib Bogle wrote:

    >>> An extra piece of info: I originally installed an ASUS wireless
    >>> network card in this machine, but then removed it and went back to
    >>> the wired card because the wireless is not needed yet. On the hunch
    >>> that the services.exe executing might be related to the now-missing
    >>> ASUS card I went into the Services list and changed ASWLSVC from
    >>> automatic to manual. We'll see if it has any effect.
    >> >

    >> Are you running Vista? IIRC in Vista, services.exe fires up for
    >> windows update. Windows update, vista, the default firewall settings
    >> in (some) vista installs, and MS's (piss poor) support on the issue
    >> are a pain in the arse for me at present, but that's another story.
    >> Services.exe firing up and using 100% cpu at the same time that
    >> web-surfing dramatically slows down might be telling you that it's
    >> time for a very thorough virus scan.

    > I looked in the Event Viewer and found an error entry at the exact time
    > of the most recent hangup. The message is:
    > Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the
    > Dnscache service.
    >
    > So the problem is related to the DNS caching. Online I found a message
    > about this, saying that the W2k DNS Cache Client service has a bug, and
    > can't handle very large host files. Spybot S&D creates a very long list
    > of bad URLs in the hosts file. A workaround is to delete out all these
    > added entries - of course, the downside is decreased protection from
    > spyware.

    Those are of dubious value anyway and each and every time you visit a
    site the whole file has to be read. If it is really big it could
    conceivable be taking more than 30 seconds to read!

    You could try opening a command prompt and timing how long it takes to
    'type' it.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 25, 2009
  8. On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 20:14:51 +1300, Enkidu <>
    wrote:

    >Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> Me wrote:

    >>> Are you running Vista? IIRC in Vista, services.exe fires up for
    >>> windows update. Windows update, vista, the default firewall settings
    >>> in (some) vista installs, and MS's (piss poor) support on the issue
    >>> are a pain in the arse for me at present, but that's another story.
    >>> Services.exe firing up and using 100% cpu at the same time that
    >>> web-surfing dramatically slows down might be telling you that it's
    >>> time for a very thorough virus scan.

    >> I looked in the Event Viewer and found an error entry at the exact time
    >> of the most recent hangup. The message is:
    >> Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the
    >> Dnscache service.
    > >
    >> So the problem is related to the DNS caching. Online I found a message
    >> about this, saying that the W2k DNS Cache Client service has a bug, and
    >> can't handle very large host files. Spybot S&D creates a very long list
    >> of bad URLs in the hosts file. A workaround is to delete out all these
    >> added entries - of course, the downside is decreased protection from
    >> spyware.
    > >

    >Those are of dubious value anyway and each and every time you visit a
    >site the whole file has to be read. If it is really big it could
    >conceivable be taking more than 30 seconds to read!
    >
    >You could try opening a command prompt and timing how long it takes to
    >'type' it.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Cliff

    That is not a valid test at all. The speed of a 'type' command is the
    speed of scrolling of the display, something that is often quite slow.
    The time taken to read a file is much, much faster.

    Stephen Worthington, Mar 25, 2009
  9. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> Me wrote:

    >>> Are you running Vista? IIRC in Vista, services.exe fires up for
    >>> windows update. Windows update, vista, the default firewall settings
    >>> in (some) vista installs, and MS's (piss poor) support on the issue
    >>> are a pain in the arse for me at present, but that's another story.
    >>> Services.exe firing up and using 100% cpu at the same time that
    >>> web-surfing dramatically slows down might be telling you that it's
    >>> time for a very thorough virus scan.

    >> I looked in the Event Viewer and found an error entry at the exact
    >> time of the most recent hangup. The message is:
    >> Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from
    >> the Dnscache service.
    > >
    >> So the problem is related to the DNS caching. Online I found a
    >> message about this, saying that the W2k DNS Cache Client service has a
    >> bug, and can't handle very large host files. Spybot S&D creates a
    >> very long list of bad URLs in the hosts file. A workaround is to
    >> delete out all these added entries - of course, the downside is
    >> decreased protection from spyware.
    > >

    > Those are of dubious value anyway and each and every time you visit a
    > site the whole file has to be read. If it is really big it could
    > conceivable be taking more than 30 seconds to read!
    >
    > You could try opening a command prompt and timing how long it takes to
    > 'type' it.

    Apparently there is some sort of bug in the W2k DNScache service related
    to the handling of big files. I don't know this for certain - it's just
    something I found on the web (not at microsoft.com).

    Gib Bogle, Mar 25, 2009
  10. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <gqbijl$1an$>,
    says...
    > Me wrote:
    > > Gib Bogle wrote:

    > >> An extra piece of info: I originally installed an ASUS wireless
    > >> network card in this machine, but then removed it and went back to the
    > >> wired card because the wireless is not needed yet. On the hunch that
    > >> the services.exe executing might be related to the now-missing ASUS
    > >> card I went into the Services list and changed ASWLSVC from automatic
    > >> to manual. We'll see if it has any effect.
    > > >

    > > Are you running Vista? IIRC in Vista, services.exe fires up for windows
    > > update. Windows update, vista, the default firewall settings in (some)
    > > vista installs, and MS's (piss poor) support on the issue are a pain in
    > > the arse for me at present, but that's another story.
    > > Services.exe firing up and using 100% cpu at the same time that
    > > web-surfing dramatically slows down might be telling you that it's time
    > > for a very thorough virus scan.

    > I looked in the Event Viewer and found an error entry at the exact time
    > of the most recent hangup. The message is:
    > Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the
    > Dnscache service.
    > So the problem is related to the DNS caching. Online I found a message
    > about this, saying that the W2k DNS Cache Client service has a bug, and
    > can't handle very large host files. Spybot S&D creates a very long list
    > of bad URLs in the hosts file. A workaround is to delete out all these
    > added entries - of course, the downside is decreased protection from
    > spyware.

    Is there a fast way of doing that? - Spybot creates a *large* list, and
    it's undo function, perhaps due to updating of Spybot itself, doesn't
    take them out (well not many IME).

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Mar 26, 2009
  11. Gib Bogle

    EMB Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:

    > Is there a fast way of doing that? - Spybot creates a *large* list, and
    > it's undo function, perhaps due to updating of Spybot itself, doesn't
    > take them out (well not many IME).

    Delete the hosts file, and rename a copy of hosts.sam (found in the same
    directory) as hosts to replace it.

    EMB, Mar 26, 2009
  12. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <gqbijl$1an$>,
    > says...
    >> Me wrote:

    >>> Are you running Vista? IIRC in Vista, services.exe fires up for windows
    >>> update. Windows update, vista, the default firewall settings in (some)
    >>> vista installs, and MS's (piss poor) support on the issue are a pain in
    >>> the arse for me at present, but that's another story.
    >>> Services.exe firing up and using 100% cpu at the same time that
    >>> web-surfing dramatically slows down might be telling you that it's time
    >>> for a very thorough virus scan.

    >> I looked in the Event Viewer and found an error entry at the exact time
    >> of the most recent hangup. The message is:
    >> Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the
    >> Dnscache service.
    >> So the problem is related to the DNS caching. Online I found a message
    >> about this, saying that the W2k DNS Cache Client service has a bug, and
    >> can't handle very large host files. Spybot S&D creates a very long list
    >> of bad URLs in the hosts file. A workaround is to delete out all these
    >> added entries - of course, the downside is decreased protection from
    >> spyware.

    > Is there a fast way of doing that? - Spybot creates a *large* list, and
    > it's undo function, perhaps due to updating of Spybot itself, doesn't
    > take them out (well not many IME).

    I just edited the file and deleted the Spybot entries (you have to take
    off the "Read-only" property and put it back afterwards).

    Gib Bogle, Mar 26, 2009
  13. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    > >
    > > Is there a fast way of doing that? - Spybot creates a *large* list, and
    > > it's undo function, perhaps due to updating of Spybot itself, doesn't
    > > take them out (well not many IME).

    > Delete the hosts file, and rename a copy of hosts.sam (found in the same
    > directory) as hosts to replace it.

    Jeez I wish it was that easy - no... not the Hosts file.

    All the entries in here...
    Control Panel, Internet Options, Security, Restricted Sites, click on
    the Sites button.

    You'll find a lot in there. And deleting them one by one is a RPITA.

    Hosts file? - well, lots of entries in the above (and no particularly
    easy way of deleting them) - unless someone else can shed some light,
    but the Hosts file?:
    # Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

    127.0.0.1 localhost
    # Start of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy
    # End of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy

    Nothing in there!

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Mar 28, 2009
  14. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <gqglkh$r1$>,
    says...
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    > > In article <gqbijl$1an$>,
    > > says...

    > >> I looked in the Event Viewer and found an error entry at the exact time
    > >> of the most recent hangup. The message is:
    > >> Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the
    > >> Dnscache service.
    > >> So the problem is related to the DNS caching. Online I found a message
    > >> about this, saying that the W2k DNS Cache Client service has a bug, and
    > >> can't handle very large host files. Spybot S&D creates a very long list
    > >> of bad URLs in the hosts file. A workaround is to delete out all these
    > >> added entries - of course, the downside is decreased protection from
    > >> spyware.

    > > Is there a fast way of doing that? - Spybot creates a *large* list, and
    > > it's undo function, perhaps due to updating of Spybot itself, doesn't
    > > take them out (well not many IME).
    > >

    > I just edited the file and deleted the Spybot entries (you have to take
    > off the "Read-only" property and put it back afterwards).

    See other post - not the Hosts file I'm talking about. :(

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Mar 28, 2009
  15. Gib Bogle

    Enkidu Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <>, says...
    >> Dave Doe wrote:
    >>> Is there a fast way of doing that? - Spybot creates a *large* list, and
    >>> it's undo function, perhaps due to updating of Spybot itself, doesn't
    >>> take them out (well not many IME).

    >> Delete the hosts file, and rename a copy of hosts.sam (found in the same
    >> directory) as hosts to replace it.

    > Jeez I wish it was that easy - no... not the Hosts file.
    >
    > All the entries in here...
    > Control Panel, Internet Options, Security, Restricted Sites, click on
    > the Sites button.
    >
    > You'll find a lot in there. And deleting them one by one is a RPITA.

    They are probably deletable via the registry editor.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 28, 2009
  16. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <gqglkh$r1$>,
    > says...
    >> Dave Doe wrote:
    >>> In article <gqbijl$1an$>,
    >>> says...

    >>> Is there a fast way of doing that? - Spybot creates a *large* list, and
    >>> it's undo function, perhaps due to updating of Spybot itself, doesn't
    >>> take them out (well not many IME).
    >>>

    >> I just edited the file and deleted the Spybot entries (you have to take
    >> off the "Read-only" property and put it back afterwards).

    > See other post - not the Hosts file I'm talking about. :(

    I wonder if it is a configurable option in SB to use either the hosts
    file or the registry.

    Gib Bogle, Mar 28, 2009
  17. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <49cd8ff0$>,
    says...
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    > >> Delete the hosts file, and rename a copy of hosts.sam (found in the same
    > >> directory) as hosts to replace it.

    > > Jeez I wish it was that easy - no... not the Hosts file.
    > >
    > > All the entries in here...
    > > Control Panel, Internet Options, Security, Restricted Sites, click on
    > > the Sites button.
    > >
    > > You'll find a lot in there. And deleting them one by one is a RPITA.
    > >

    > They are probably deletable via the registry editor.

    That's probably great! :)

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Mar 28, 2009
  18. Gib Bogle

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <49cd8ff0$>,
    > says...
    >> Dave Doe wrote:
    >>> In article <>, says...
    >>>
    >>> Jeez I wish it was that easy - no... not the Hosts file.
    >>>
    >>> All the entries in here...
    >>> Control Panel, Internet Options, Security, Restricted Sites, click
    >>> on the Sites button.
    >>>
    >>> You'll find a lot in there. And deleting them one by one is a
    >>> RPITA.
    >>>

    >> They are probably deletable via the registry editor.

    > That's probably great! :)

    LOL!!!!
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Mar 29, 2009
  19. Gib Bogle

    Enkidu Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
    >> In article <49cd8ff0$>,
    >> says...

    >>> They are probably deletable via the registry editor.

    >> That's probably great! :)

    > LOL!!!!

    Hehehe! How would I know? I'm no longer a Windows user!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 30, 2009