    I am darned if I can see the 323 on the network.

    So anyone using the D-link 323 with sucess.

    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=509

    Gordon, May 11, 2008

  2. Gordon

    SlowLearner Guest

    On May 11, 5:34 pm, Gordon <> wrote:
    > I am wondering if how many of the readers of this news group, who are on the
    > MS Windows platform, have tried using it and are satisfied with it.
    >
    > After an afternoon of plugging it in I think that either I missing something
    > or Murphy has visited me.
    >
    > I am darned if I can see the 323 on the network.
    >
    > So anyone using the D-link 323 with sucess.
    >
    > http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=509

    I have one and it works fine, now.

    I did not use the provided software and did everything manually.

    Initally I had a few problems with my software firewall blocking it.

    Once that was sorted I had problems 'finding' it in Network
    neighbourhood. It would show up but not be accessible, shares would
    appear but not be able to be opened etc. The solution seemed to be to
    map the drives in explorer, after that it was all plain sailing ...
    until ...

    Yep, Vista, MS's new flagship OS. Totally and utterly fails to
    properly 'fall back' to the version of samba on this (and most
    consumer) NAS devices. It sort of works, on and off, for a bit. Drives
    are sometimes found, sometimes not, sometimes would reattach,
    sometimes not. After much googling I found the solution was to use a
    piece of MS admin softtware that is not provided in the non-business
    versions of Vista. Or you can go registry spelunking and do some hand
    edits (wow! just like Linux! I am soo glad I am using this 'best of
    breed' OS) to force Vista to always attempt connections at the lowest
    (oldest?) compatibility level and it all worked. If you are using
    Vista just reply back and I'll dig up the admin tool and registry hack
    instructions.

    The only other snag I had under WinXP was if I password protected
    shares to a specific user. I had a lot of problems unless I made my
    username and password in windows the same as the one on the Dlink. It
    was ok to use different ones for drives I mapped 'as I went' but if I
    wanted them to re-mount at each boot I I had to line up login
    details. Never worked out why, didn't bother as I didn't mind having
    my Win login details the same as my Dlink ones.

    One thing that is very useful is to install the fonz_plugin stuff.
    This lets you telnet (ssh) in to the device which makes copying large
    large files/directories really quick as rather than coming from the
    NAS drive to your PC then back to the new location on the NAS drive it
    is as fast as a transfer between folders on a local disk.

    SlowLearner, May 11, 2008

  3. In article
    <>,
    SlowLearner did write:

    > One thing that is very useful is to install the fonz_plugin stuff.
    > This lets you telnet (ssh) in to the device which makes copying large
    > large files/directories really quick as rather than coming from the
    > NAS drive to your PC then back to the new location on the NAS drive it
    > is as fast as a transfer between folders on a local disk.

    Interesting. Apple's AppleShare protocol and software (going back to the
    1980s) had a specific command called "copy file", which was supposed to let
    the server handle the actual data transfer internally, to save on network
    traffic. Odd that Microsoft never figured out a similar solution, even
    after all these years...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 11, 2008
  4. Gordon

    EMB Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Interesting. Apple's AppleShare protocol and software (going back to the
    > 1980s) had a specific command called "copy file", which was supposed to let
    > the server handle the actual data transfer internally, to save on network
    > traffic.

    As did Netware from version 2 or thereabouts.

    EMB, May 11, 2008