    transfer rate of 1 to 3 frames per second? If not, do you know what the
    maximum continuous frame transfer rate is?

    Thanks, Don

    Don and Liz Campbell, Mar 23, 2005

  2. Don and Liz Campbell

    paul Guest

    Don and Liz Campbell wrote:

    > Can the D-70 when connected to a computer provide a continuous frame
    > transfer rate of 1 to 3 frames per second? If not, do you know what the
    > maximum continuous frame transfer rate is?

    No, unfortunately it's pretty darn slow waiting for each pic to go thru
    the USB cable with Nikon Capture Camera Control. Maybe I don't have the
    proper USB on my new laptop but it's around 2 seconds between shots even
    with the smallest jpegs. It won't let you buffer, you have to wait
    before shooting again & carefully watch the progress or you get an
    annoying error message that needs to be dismissed.

    There is a "video out" plug intended for slide shows on a TV, I don't
    know if that could be used for this purpose, probably not.

    paul, Mar 23, 2005

  3. Don and Liz Campbell

    Owamanga Guest

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:24:16 -0800, paul <> wrote:

    >Don and Liz Campbell wrote:
    >
    >> Can the D-70 when connected to a computer provide a continuous frame
    >> transfer rate of 1 to 3 frames per second? If not, do you know what the
    >> maximum continuous frame transfer rate is?

    >No, unfortunately it's pretty darn slow waiting for each pic to go thru
    >the USB cable with Nikon Capture Camera Control. Maybe I don't have the
    >proper USB on my new laptop but it's around 2 seconds between shots even
    >with the smallest jpegs. It won't let you buffer, you have to wait
    >before shooting again & carefully watch the progress or you get an
    >annoying error message that needs to be dismissed.
    >
    >There is a "video out" plug intended for slide shows on a TV, I don't
    >know if that could be used for this purpose, probably not.

    Apparently the D70 transfer rates are around the speed of USB 1.1, not
    USB 2.0 as advertised. This equates to a maximum of 1.5MBytes/sec.

    If shooting NEF, expect to wait *at least* 4 seconds between shots.
    Realistically, I'd expect 10 seconds.

    If it were truly a 2.0 device, transfer rates in excess of firewire
    should be possible, around 60Mbytes/sec, or an additional 1/10th
    second to clear the buffer.

    Video out is useful for a bigger 'preview' than the LCD can show - and
    can be used live for shooting, but color quality and resolution are
    somewhat lacking.

    --
    Owamanga!
    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

    Owamanga, Mar 23, 2005
  4. Owamanga wrote:
    []
    > Apparently the D70 transfer rates are around the speed of USB 1.1, not
    > USB 2.0 as advertised. This equates to a maximum of 1.5MBytes/sec.

    Be aware that even if you have USB 2.0 hardware, you may /still/ have to
    install USB 2.0 drivers to see the full USB 2.0 speed. By default, you
    only get USB 1.1 speed.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 23, 2005
  5. Don and Liz Campbell

    Pete D Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    wrote in message news:rUi0e.4011$...
    > Owamanga wrote:
    > []
    >> Apparently the D70 transfer rates are around the speed of USB 1.1, not
    >> USB 2.0 as advertised. This equates to a maximum of 1.5MBytes/sec.

    > Be aware that even if you have USB 2.0 hardware, you may /still/ have to
    > install USB 2.0 drivers to see the full USB 2.0 speed. By default, you
    > only get USB 1.1 speed.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    The D70 is only USB 1.1 and will never be faster, really bad design flaw by
    Nikon.

    Pete D, Mar 23, 2005
  6. Don and Liz Campbell

    Owamanga Guest

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:44:47 GMT, "Pete D" <> wrote:

    >"David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    >wrote in message news:rUi0e.4011$...
    >> Owamanga wrote:
    >> []
    >>> Apparently the D70 transfer rates are around the speed of USB 1.1, not
    >>> USB 2.0 as advertised. This equates to a maximum of 1.5MBytes/sec.

    >> Be aware that even if you have USB 2.0 hardware, you may /still/ have to
    >> install USB 2.0 drivers to see the full USB 2.0 speed. By default, you
    >> only get USB 1.1 speed.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> David

    >The D70 is only USB 1.1 and will never be faster, really bad design flaw by
    >Nikon.

    Has this been investigated in respect to a possible firmware fix?

    Of course, I doubt it can be fixed so easily, given that they haven't
    done it yet.

    Oh well..

    --
    Owamanga!
    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

    Owamanga, Mar 23, 2005
  7. Pete D wrote:
    > "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
    > message news:rUi0e.4011$...
    >> Owamanga wrote:
    >> []
    >>> Apparently the D70 transfer rates are around the speed of USB 1.1,
    >>> not USB 2.0 as advertised. This equates to a maximum of
    >>> 1.5MBytes/sec.

    >> Be aware that even if you have USB 2.0 hardware, you may /still/
    >> have to install USB 2.0 drivers to see the full USB 2.0 speed. By
    >> default, you only get USB 1.1 speed.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> David

    > The D70 is only USB 1.1 and will never be faster, really bad design
    > flaw by Nikon.

    And yet someone says it is advertised as 2.0? Misleading!

    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 23, 2005
  8. In article <>, Owamanga
    <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Has this been investigated in respect to a possible firmware fix?

    Not possible. The higher speed requires a different controller chip.

    Scott Schuckert, Mar 23, 2005
  9. In article <%wk0e.4098$>, David J
    wrote:

    > And yet someone says it is advertised as 2.0? Misleading!

    Not....entirely. The computer manufacturers were afraid people would
    stop buying computers without USB 2.0. So they redefined "2.0" to
    INCLUDE the older 1.1 specification. To get 480Mbits/second, you have
    to look for "HIGH Speed USB 2.0"

    The D70 documentation clearly states "FULL Speed USB 2.0" - which is
    actually just the old 12Mbits/second v.1.1 stuff renamed.

    Confusing? Misleading? Sure! But that's marketing for you. Pick on
    Intel. It's their spec, and they control the nomenclature.

    Scott Schuckert, Mar 23, 2005
  10. In article <PGj0e.9215$>, Pete D
    <> wrote:

    > The D70 is only USB 1.1 and will never be faster, really bad design flaw by
    > Nikon.

    Not a design flaw but a design choice. When the D70 was created, high
    Speed USB 2.0 controller chips were more expensive than the older ones.
    So Nikon got to keep another 85 cents that might have been spent on
    parts.

    Scott Schuckert, Mar 23, 2005
  11. On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:42:35 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:

    >Pete D wrote:
    >> "David J Taylor"
    >> <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
    >> message news:rUi0e.4011$...
    >>> Owamanga wrote:
    >>> []
    >>>
    >>> Be aware that even if you have USB 2.0 hardware, you may /still/
    >>> have to install USB 2.0 drivers to see the full USB 2.0 speed. By
    >>> default, you only get USB 1.1 speed.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>> David

    >> The D70 is only USB 1.1 and will never be faster, really bad design
    >> flaw by Nikon.

    >And yet someone says it is advertised as 2.0? Misleading!
    >
    >David

    If you have a USB2 port, Best Buy has the Sandidsik USB2 card reader
    for $18 this week. Given what we paid for our D70s, that next to
    nothing.

    Oliver Costich, Mar 23, 2005
  12. Don and Liz Campbell

    Sheldon Guest

    "Scott Schuckert" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Owamanga
    > <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Has this been investigated in respect to a possible firmware fix?

    > Not possible. The higher speed requires a different controller chip.

    I have a feeling they expected people to use a card reader, which can
    operate at USB 2 speeds.

    Sheldon, Mar 24, 2005
  13. Scott Schuckert wrote:
    > In article <%wk0e.4098$>, David J
    > Taylor <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> And yet someone says it is advertised as 2.0? Misleading!

    > Not....entirely. The computer manufacturers were afraid people would
    > stop buying computers without USB 2.0. So they redefined "2.0" to
    > INCLUDE the older 1.1 specification. To get 480Mbits/second, you have
    > to look for "HIGH Speed USB 2.0"
    >
    > The D70 documentation clearly states "FULL Speed USB 2.0" - which is
    > actually just the old 12Mbits/second v.1.1 stuff renamed.
    >
    > Confusing? Misleading? Sure! But that's marketing for you. Pick on
    > Intel. It's their spec, and they control the nomenclature.

    You're right! I'd forgotten about the "Hi-Speed" caveat.

    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 24, 2005
  14. Don and Liz Campbell

    Owamanga Guest

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:01:18 -0500, Oliver Costich
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:42:35 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    ><-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>Pete D wrote:
    >>> "David J Taylor"
    >>> <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
    >>> message news:rUi0e.4011$...

    >>> The D70 is only USB 1.1 and will never be faster, really bad design
    >>> flaw by Nikon.

    >>And yet someone says it is advertised as 2.0? Misleading!
    >>
    >>David
    >>

    >If you have a USB2 port, Best Buy has the Sandidsik USB2 card reader
    >for $18 this week. Given what we paid for our D70s, that next to
    >nothing.

    All very well for transferring images from a card, completely useless
    for remote control of the D70 via direct USB connection & subsequent
    instantaneous download of the image to the PC, which I believe is what
    the OP was attempting.

    This would have been a 'nice to have'.

    --
    Owamanga!
    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

    Owamanga, Mar 24, 2005
  15. Don and Liz Campbell

    Bubbabob Guest

    Oliver Costich <> wrote:

    > If you have a USB2 port, Best Buy has the Sandidsik USB2 card reader
    > for $18 this week. Given what we paid for our D70s, that next to
    > nothing.

    Newegg has a nice High-Speed USB2 PQI reader for $8.99 this week

    Bubbabob, Mar 24, 2005