    button on my old F bodies, is this being accomplished some other way on
    digital bodies?

    , Dec 8, 2005

  2. Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Is anyone else using a D-50? The specs in the book mention a
    > depth-of-field preview under the Lens Aperture catagory. Am I not
    > finding a button somewhere on the camera body or are they just refering
    > to the depth-of-field marks on the Nikkor lenses? I'm used to the
    > button on my old F bodies, is this being accomplished some other way on
    > digital bodies?

    The D50 doesn't have a depth of field preview capability. The D70/D70s
    does, using the expected button beside the bottom of the lens.

    I looked really closely at both cameras and went with the D70s instead
    for several reasons. DOF preview was a minor one. Major ones were:

    - the D70s body is (in the shops I looked in here in NZ) only about
    US$100 - $150 more than the D50 body. The difference in the kit prices
    is about US$300.

    - about 80% of the difference in the kit price can be explained by the
    better kit lens on the D70s

    - the D70s can drive the SB600 flash off-camera using the built-in flash
    as a commander. Before getting the camera I wasn't sure if this was a
    gimmick, but now that I've used it this is *fantastic*. The SB600 can
    be in a different room, facing the other way, around a corner.
    Whatever. It Just Works. Put it to the side of the subject, or behind
    them, or facing the other way bouncing off the wall behind you.
    Whatever. It Just Works. The D50 can do this only by adding an SB800
    to it as a commander. The SB800 costs 125% of the price difference
    between the D50 kit and the D70s kit. If you think you might want to do
    this then the D70s is *cheaper* [1]

    The only thing that made me lean towards the D50 was that it has USB2
    for much faster transfers of photos to the computer. A USB2 card reader
    is $20.

    [1] unless you want to control multiple independently-metered groups of
    external flashes, for which the D70(s) requires an SB800 too. The
    D70(s) can control multiple external flashes, but they all fire with the
    same power setting as each other.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Dec 8, 2005

  3. Guest

    Thanks, I figured it was a misprint in the manual. It is a minor thing
    but I neglected to compare that function assuming it would just be
    there. Price you pay. I bought the body to see if I'd like digital.
    I do, and figure to upgrade the body some years down the road when
    there will probably be a whole new ball game. The flash issue at the
    moment is moot for me as I do mostly natural light photography except
    for the holiday snaps.

    , Dec 8, 2005