    Faz Guest

    If they don't start to ship some of these models soon people are going to
    buy CANON..........any comments?????

    Faz, Apr 25, 2006

  2. Faz

    John Fryatt Guest

    Faz wrote:
    > If they don't start to ship some of these models soon people are going to
    > buy CANON..........any comments?????

    Yes... BORING!!!

    John Fryatt, Apr 25, 2006

  3. Faz wrote:

    > If they don't start to ship some of these models soon people are going to
    > buy CANON..........any comments?????

    The Tazo Chai at Starbucks is surprisingly refreshing.

    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

    Unclaimed Mysteries, Apr 25, 2006
  4. Faz

    Bill Guest

    Faz wrote:

    >If they don't start to ship some of these models soon people are going to
    >buy CANON..........any comments?????

    Yes, Stargate Atlantis kinda sucks.

    But speaking of cameras...Nikon D-200 bodies are in stock at the two
    stores in my area.

    Bill, Apr 26, 2006
  5. Faz

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 22:19:51 GMT, Faz <> wrote:

    >If they don't start to ship some of these models soon people are going to
    >buy CANON..........any comments?????

    I use my D-200 almost every day. Usually with the 18-200 VR lens. You don't
    have yours yet?

    Maybe Nikon is discriminating against Canadians?

    Don Wiss, Apr 26, 2006
  6. "Faz" <> writes:

    > If they don't start to ship some of these models soon people are going to
    > buy CANON..........any comments?????

    They do seem to have some kind of production or distribution problem.
    I was able to find one at Best Buy locally (actually at least 4) when
    I couldn't find one at any local camera store or either of the big
    online stores I trust.
    RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>

    David Dyer-Bennet, Apr 26, 2006
  7. Faz

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    Comments? Yes, I'd probably buy the 30D anyway. I like the image quality
    better than the D200.

    Kinon O'Cann, Apr 26, 2006
  8. Faz

    Tony Guest

    I got so fed up waiting for it I went to Canon in 1992. I guess that was
    the best move I ever made since Nikon still doesn't seem to have their act
    together on the D200 after 14 years!

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Apr 26, 2006
  9. Faz

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:31:52 GMT, "Tony" <> wrote:

    > I got so fed up waiting for it I went to Canon in 1992. I guess that was
    >the best move I ever made since Nikon still doesn't seem to have their act
    >together on the D200 after 14 years!

    Not that they don't have their act together, but that the initial demand
    for the D200 is much, much greater than it is for the Canon. So hard to
    ramp up a production line for an initial spurt, which won't last after the
    initial demand has been filled. Face it. Nikon has a much better name when
    it comes to high end cameras, and it sells far more. Maybe not as good a
    camera, but they command more attention.

    Don Wiss, Apr 27, 2006
  10. Faz

    Bill Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > I got so fed up waiting for it I went to Canon in 1992. I guess that was
    >the best move I ever made since Nikon still doesn't seem to have their act
    >together on the D200 after 14 years!

    Sheesh...I hope this isn't troll bait.

    there are many things about Nikon I like a lot better than Canon, even
    though I shoot with Canon gear. My friend has a D70s which I've used on
    several occasions, and I like how it works.

    I like Nikon gear enough to say that I recommend newbies get the Nikon
    D50 or D70s with the 18-70mm kit lense over the Canon XT or 20D with
    18-55mm.

    And something I've learned is that Nikon cameras are generally faster
    and easier to adjust their settings when shooting. But they take a bit
    longer to learn where all the switches are and how to use them.

    Both Canon and Nikon have their quirks, but that's far from saying that
    Nikon doesn't have their act together.

    Bill, Apr 27, 2006
  11. Faz

    JimmyG Guest

    JimmyG, Apr 27, 2006
  12. Faz

    Cynicor Guest

    Cynicor, Apr 27, 2006
  13. Don Wiss wrote:
    > On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:31:52 GMT, "Tony" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I got so fed up waiting for it I went to Canon in 1992. I guess that was
    >> the best move I ever made since Nikon still doesn't seem to have their act
    >> together on the D200 after 14 years!

    > Not that they don't have their act together, but that the initial demand
    > for the D200 is much, much greater than it is for the Canon. So hard to
    > ramp up a production line for an initial spurt, which won't last after the
    > initial demand has been filled. Face it. Nikon has a much better name when
    > it comes to high end cameras, and it sells far more. Maybe not as good a
    > camera, but they command more attention.

    Can you supply actual figures to prove your assertions?

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Apr 27, 2006
  14. "John McWilliams" <> wrote:
    > Don Wiss wrote:
    >>
    >> Not that they don't have their act together, but that the initial demand
    >> for the D200 is much, much greater than it is for the Canon.

    Exactly. See below.

    >> So hard to
    >> ramp up a production line for an initial spurt, which won't last after
    >> the
    >> initial demand has been filled.

    Well, yes. But as top of the low-end Nikon line, I expect it'll have solid
    sales for a long time, just not at the initial levels.

    >>Face it. Nikon has a much better name when
    >> it comes to high end cameras, and it sells far more. Maybe not as good a
    >> camera, but they command more attention.

    > Can you supply actual figures to prove your assertions?

    Since Nikon had been limping along on 6MP cameras, it's quite logical that
    there was a lot of pent up demand, and (at least in the Japanese market, for
    which I have seen some figures) sales have been excellent. And there's a lot
    of folks with a lot of Nikon glass out there from the film days.

    The Canon 30D, on the other hand is a minor tweak.

    No one with a current low-end Canon dSLR would see a difference with a 30D,
    but everyone with a current low-end Nikon dSLR is at least interested in the
    D200.

    Of course, the bit about high-end cameras is way off; Canon's been killing
    Nikon in that area for years.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Apr 27, 2006
  15. Faz

    SMS Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > Tony wrote:
    >
    >> I got so fed up waiting for it I went to Canon in 1992. I guess that was
    >> the best move I ever made since Nikon still doesn't seem to have their act
    >> together on the D200 after 14 years!

    > Sheesh...I hope this isn't troll bait.
    >
    > there are many things about Nikon I like a lot better than Canon, even
    > though I shoot with Canon gear. My friend has a D70s which I've used on
    > several occasions, and I like how it works.
    >
    > I like Nikon gear enough to say that I recommend newbies get the Nikon
    > D50 or D70s with the 18-70mm kit lense over the Canon XT or 20D with
    > 18-55mm.

    Too bad there is no D50 kit with the 18-70mm kit lens, but if there was
    one, I'd agree that it'd be a better choice than the Rebel XT with the
    kit lens.

    The 20D with the 17-85 IS lens is the ideal choice. It would be nice if
    Canon made a non-IS version of the 17-85mm lens to match the Nikon price
    points of the D70 kit with the 18-70mm lens.

    SMS, Apr 27, 2006
  16. Faz

    SMS Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:

    > Since Nikon had been limping along on 6MP cameras, it's quite logical that
    > there was a lot of pent up demand, and (at least in the Japanese market, for
    > which I have seen some figures) sales have been excellent. And there's a lot
    > of folks with a lot of Nikon glass out there from the film days.

    I saw my first D200 today on my son's school field trip. No, not one of
    the eight year-old kids, but one of the chaperone's who's a professional
    photographer, and had been chomping at the bit for more than a year to
    replace her D70. I nervously watched as she let each of the kids in her
    little group take a turn using the D200. I'd be far too nervous to do
    that with even my lowly 20D.

    > Of course, the bit about high-end cameras is way off; Canon's been killing
    > Nikon in that area for years.

    Nikon has yet to introduce a high-end professional digital SLR, though
    reportedly they're feverishly working on full-frame models to compete
    against the Canon 1Ds and 5D.

    SMS, Apr 27, 2006
  17. "SMS" <> wrote:

    >> Of course, the bit about high-end cameras is way off; Canon's been
    >> killing Nikon in that area for years.

    > Nikon has yet to introduce a high-end professional digital SLR, though
    > reportedly they're feverishly working on full-frame models to compete
    > against the Canon 1Ds and 5D.

    D1x, D2x, DnH, and all the Kodak Nikon-mount cameras. Lots of high-end pro
    dSLRs in the Nikon camp. None compete with either the 1Dmk2 or 1Dsmk2,
    though.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Apr 27, 2006
  18. Faz

    SMS Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "SMS" <> wrote:
    >>> Of course, the bit about high-end cameras is way off; Canon's been
    >>> killing Nikon in that area for years.

    >> Nikon has yet to introduce a high-end professional digital SLR, though
    >> reportedly they're feverishly working on full-frame models to compete
    >> against the Canon 1Ds and 5D.

    > D1x, D2x, DnH, and all the Kodak Nikon-mount cameras. Lots of high-end pro
    > dSLRs in the Nikon camp.

    These are all professional models, but not "high-end" professional
    models like the Canon 1D/1Ds Mark II.

    > None compete with either the 1Dmk2 or 1Dsmk2,
    > though.

    That's what I was trying to say!

    SMS, Apr 27, 2006
  19. David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "John McWilliams" <> wrote:
    >> Don Wiss wrote:
    >>> Not that they don't have their act together, but that the initial demand
    >>> for the D200 is much, much greater than it is for the Canon.

    > Exactly. See below.
    >
    >>> So hard to
    >>> ramp up a production line for an initial spurt, which won't last after
    >>> the
    >>> initial demand has been filled.

    > Well, yes. But as top of the low-end Nikon line, I expect it'll have solid
    > sales for a long time, just not at the initial levels.
    >
    >>> Face it. Nikon has a much better name when
    >>> it comes to high end cameras, and it sells far more. Maybe not as good a
    >>> camera, but they command more attention.

    >> Can you supply actual figures to prove your assertions?

    > Since Nikon had been limping along on 6MP cameras, it's quite logical that
    > there was a lot of pent up demand, and (at least in the Japanese market, for
    > which I have seen some figures) sales have been excellent. And there's a lot
    > of folks with a lot of Nikon glass out there from the film days.

    I'm with you (and presumably Don) about the logic, but when someone
    asserts that X sales beats Y sales, we need a basis other than logic,
    hope or reason.

    Don?
    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Apr 27, 2006
  20. Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Apr 27, 2006