    does nothing but crash my Win98 system. I've emailed their support, but
    haven't heard a peep out of them. Has anyone had any luck with this program?
    What do you peeps recommend for burning DVDs?

    Patch, Jan 29, 2005

  2. Patch

    kaydigi Guest

    "Patch" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I just got a new DVD burner from Liteon that came with "PowerDVD" ver 5. It
    > does nothing but crash my Win98 system. I've emailed their support, but
    > haven't heard a peep out of them. Has anyone had any luck with this
    > program?
    > What do you peeps recommend for burning DVDs?

    Maybe a fresh install of Win 98 or it's time to upgrade to XP.

    kaydigi, Jan 29, 2005

  3. Patch

    Nonymous Guest

    "Patch" <> wrote in message
    >I just got a new DVD burner from Liteon that came with "PowerDVD" ver 5. It
    > does nothing but crash my Win98 system. I've emailed their support, but
    > haven't heard a peep out of them. Has anyone had any luck with this
    > program?
    > What do you peeps recommend for burning DVDs?

    PowerDVD and WinDVD are usually considered the top choices. I prefer
    PowerDVD myself. Never have had any problems with it. Might want to make
    sure you have your latest video drivers installed. I believe it also uses
    DirectShow so make sure you have the highest DirectX installed that Win98
    can handle.

    Nonymous, Jan 29, 2005
  4. Patch

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Patch wrote:
    > I just got a new DVD burner from Liteon that came with "PowerDVD" ver 5. It
    > does nothing but crash my Win98 system. I've emailed their support, but
    > haven't heard a peep out of them. Has anyone had any luck with this program?
    > What do you peeps recommend for burning DVDs?

    The last time I used it PowerDVD was a player not a burner. As to my
    recommendation, I burn with Nero and one of my colleagues burns with Roxio.

    dick
    -- and there's lots of free stuff to burn with.

    Dick Sidbury, Jan 29, 2005
  5. Patch

    TSKO Guest

    Dvd decryptor...simple to use...and its totally free...yes..free

    TSKO, Jan 30, 2005
  6. Patch

    Bob Troll Guest

    Throw out version 5. If you really want to use power dvd, then use version 4
    with win98. I would use nerovision as it is much more stable, the latest
    version that is. I had nothing but bad issues with power dvd 5 with 98 over
    here.

    Regards, Bob Troll

    Bob Troll, Jan 30, 2005
  7. Patch

    Manda Guest

    "Patch" <> wrote:

    > I just got a new DVD burner from Liteon that came with "PowerDVD" ver
    > 5. It does nothing but crash my Win98 system. I've emailed their
    > support, but haven't heard a peep out of them. Has anyone had any luck
    > with this program?

    I know this doesn't help, but I too just got a LiteOn drive (CD-RW/DVD-ROM
    combo) with PowerDVD 5, and it works just fine on my Win98SE system.

    Manda

    Manda, Jan 30, 2005
  8. Patch

    M.B. Guest

    Manda wrote:
    > "Patch" <> wrote:
    >

    >>I just got a new DVD burner from Liteon that came with "PowerDVD" ver
    >>5. It does nothing but crash my Win98 system. I've emailed their
    >>support, but haven't heard a peep out of them. Has anyone had any luck
    >>with this program?

    > I know this doesn't help, but I too just got a LiteOn drive (CD-RW/DVD-ROM
    > combo) with PowerDVD 5, and it works just fine on my Win98SE system.
    >
    > Manda

    My advice would be to upgrade to Win XP or Win 2000. You'll be thankful
    in the long run. Win 98 is plagued with too many problems. Every 2 to
    6 months, I'd have to reformat or reinstall Win98 simply due to the
    eventual build up in problems and overall glitches that would arise just
    from everyday operation. I've been on this current install of XP for
    almost a year and a half now and no problems to date.

    I know this doesn't help you with your overall problem and certainly
    isn't an easy solution. If you have a PC that isn't capable of running
    XP or running it well, then you'd be best advised to just buy a new
    computer.

    M.B., Jan 30, 2005
  9. Patch

    Stan Brown Guest

    "M.B." wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >My advice would be to upgrade to Win XP or Win 2000. You'll be thankful
    >in the long run. Win 98 is plagued with too many problems. Every 2 to
    >6 months, I'd have to reformat or reinstall Win98 simply due to the
    >eventual build up in problems and overall glitches that would arise just
    >from everyday operation.

    I never had that sort of peoblem with Win 98, nd when I bought
    a laptop recently I was dreading Win XP. But after a couple
    of weeks, I'm a believer. It seems to run my old 16-bit
    applications as well as Win 98, much to my surprise, and with
    some effort spent customizing it I'm finding it easier to
    work with than Win 98 -- except that it notifies me way too
    often that there's no wiless network available. :-(

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Jan 31, 2005
  10. Patch

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I never had that sort of peoblem with Win 98, nd when I bought
    > a laptop recently I was dreading Win XP. But after a couple
    > of weeks, I'm a believer. It seems to run my old 16-bit
    > applications as well as Win 98, much to my surprise, and with
    > some effort spent customizing it I'm finding it easier to
    > work with than Win 98 -- except that it notifies me way too
    > often that there's no wiless network available. :-(

    Mine does that too, when Im away from my home network, but you dont have to
    put up with it if it annoys you.

    Just go to "Settings" "network" on the start menu and disable the wireless
    adaptor (until you need it)

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Jan 31, 2005
  11. Patch

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Patch wrote:
    > I just got a new DVD burner from Liteon that came with "PowerDVD" ver
    > 5. It does nothing but crash my Win98 system. I've emailed their
    > support, but haven't heard a peep out of them. Has anyone had any
    > luck with this program? What do you peeps recommend for burning DVDs?

    Windows XP. ;)

    Come on, seriously - Windows 98? PowerDVD probably doesn't even support
    Win98 any more. That should be your next upgrade, like yesterday.

    Mike Kohary, Feb 1, 2005
  12. In article <S_XKd.24626$>, Bob
    Troll <> wrote:

    >Throw out version 5. If you really want to use power dvd, then
    >use version 4 with win98. I would use nerovision as it is much
    >more stable, the latest version that is. I had nothing but bad
    >issues with power dvd 5 with 98 over here.

    I upgraded to PowerDVD 5 on my XP. After problems I got the disk
    that came with my player and reinstalled 4.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Feb 2, 2005
  13. On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:59:04 -0600, "Patch" <>
    wrote:

    >I just got a new DVD burner from Liteon that came with "PowerDVD" ver 5. It
    >does nothing but crash my Win98 system. I've emailed their support, but
    >haven't heard a peep out of them. Has anyone had any luck with this program?
    >What do you peeps recommend for burning DVDs?

    PowerDVD 5 requires directx 9 which mightn't run on W98.

    Sig:
    Work saves us from three great evils: boredom, vice and need. -Voltaire,
    philosopher (1694-1778)

    Rotes Sapiens, Feb 5, 2005
  14. Patch

    Manda Guest

    Rotes Sapiens <> wrote:

    > PowerDVD 5 requires directx 9 which mightn't run on W98.

    My Win98SE system has no problems with PowerDVD 5 or DirectX 9.0b. Perhaps
    non-SE systems would be different, though.

    Manda

    Manda, Feb 6, 2005