CWS removal.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Splidger, Dec 29, 2004.

  1. Splidger

    Splidger Guest

    I think my friend's computer is infected with CoolWebSearch, which
    apparently, is hard to destroy.

    We have tried Ad-Aware and also the CWShredder program. The former
    constantly finds things which reappear once deleted; the latter finds
    nothing.

    I believe it is CWS because it meets the symptoms described here:
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/about-blank-adware.html Various pop-ups
    appear and the computer is slowed down.

    "Here's the problem - Internet Explorer seems to have decided that the home
    page About:blank is what will greet you every time you open a new browser
    window. You try to change it back but either your Internet Options are
    greyed out or you change the page back, only to find next time you start
    Internet Explorer the dreaded About:blank has returned.

    There are many possible causes for this behaviour and most are evil. One
    possible cause is a virus, but this is not very common. The most likely
    culprit is an adware/browser hijack program - in particular, CoolWebSearch.

    The symptom that identifies the CoolWebSearch or a close variation is that
    About:Blank appears as the address, but in the background a window pops up
    stating that spyware, adware or something similar has been found on your
    system. CoolWebSearch is a browser hijack program - it that takes over your
    page, and keeps changing it back. It's purpose is to show you advertising,
    or flog you an over-priced piece of software to fix the issue CoolWebSearch
    has created. The About:Blank change is a trick designed to confuse users -
    regrettably, it is very successful!"

    Any ideas about how to eradicate this spyware? Thanks. Would other
    anti-spyware programs be better than Ad-Aware?
    Splidger, Dec 29, 2004

  2. Splidger

    Saba Guest

    "Splidger" <> schreef in bericht
    |I think my friend's computer is infected with CoolWebSearch, which
    | apparently, is hard to destroy.
    |
    | We have tried Ad-Aware and also the CWShredder program. The former
    | constantly finds things which reappear once deleted; the latter finds
    | nothing.
    |
    | I believe it is CWS because it meets the symptoms described here:
    | http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/about-blank-adware.html Various pop-ups
    | appear and the computer is slowed down.
    |
    | "Here's the problem - Internet Explorer seems to have decided that the
    home
    | page About:blank is what will greet you every time you open a new browser
    | window. You try to change it back but either your Internet Options are
    | greyed out or you change the page back, only to find next time you start
    | Internet Explorer the dreaded About:blank has returned.
    |
    | There are many possible causes for this behaviour and most are evil. One
    | possible cause is a virus, but this is not very common. The most likely
    | culprit is an adware/browser hijack program - in particular,
    CoolWebSearch.

    | The symptom that identifies the CoolWebSearch or a close variation is that
    | About:Blank appears as the address, but in the background a window pops up
    | stating that spyware, adware or something similar has been found on your
    | system. CoolWebSearch is a browser hijack program - it that takes over
    your
    | page, and keeps changing it back. It's purpose is to show you advertising,
    | or flog you an over-priced piece of software to fix the issue
    CoolWebSearch
    | has created. The About:Blank change is a trick designed to confuse users -
    | regrettably, it is very successful!"
    |
    | Any ideas about how to eradicate this spyware? Thanks. Would other
    | anti-spyware programs be better than Ad-Aware?

    use google and find:
    http://www.spyany.com/program/article_spy_rm_CoolWebSearch.html

    Saba, Dec 29, 2004

  3. Splidger

    Gort Guest

    Splidger wrote:
    > I think my friend's computer is infected with CoolWebSearch, which
    > apparently, is hard to destroy.
    >
    > We have tried Ad-Aware and also the CWShredder program. The former
    > constantly finds things which reappear once deleted; the latter finds
    > nothing.
    >
    > I believe it is CWS because it meets the symptoms described here:
    > http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/about-blank-adware.html Various pop-ups
    > appear and the computer is slowed down.
    >
    > "Here's the problem - Internet Explorer seems to have decided that the home
    > page About:blank is what will greet you every time you open a new browser
    > window. You try to change it back but either your Internet Options are
    > greyed out or you change the page back, only to find next time you start
    > Internet Explorer the dreaded About:blank has returned.
    >
    > There are many possible causes for this behaviour and most are evil. One
    > possible cause is a virus, but this is not very common. The most likely
    > culprit is an adware/browser hijack program - in particular, CoolWebSearch.
    >
    > The symptom that identifies the CoolWebSearch or a close variation is that
    > About:Blank appears as the address, but in the background a window pops up
    > stating that spyware, adware or something similar has been found on your
    > system. CoolWebSearch is a browser hijack program - it that takes over your
    > page, and keeps changing it back. It's purpose is to show you advertising,
    > or flog you an over-priced piece of software to fix the issue CoolWebSearch
    > has created. The About:Blank change is a trick designed to confuse users -
    > regrettably, it is very successful!"
    >
    > Any ideas about how to eradicate this spyware? Thanks. Would other
    > anti-spyware programs be better than Ad-Aware?

    Be sure to turn System Restore off before running the cleaners.
    You can turn it back on after you've finished.

    inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know
    how to ignore a posting,complain to me and I will demonstrate.
    Gort, Dec 29, 2004
  4. Splidger

    Splidger Guest

    "Gort" <> wrote in message
    > Splidger wrote:
    > > I think my friend's computer is infected with CoolWebSearch, which
    > > apparently, is hard to destroy.
    > >
    > > We have tried Ad-Aware and also the CWShredder program. The former
    > > constantly finds things which reappear once deleted; the latter finds
    > > nothing.
    > >
    > > I believe it is CWS because it meets the symptoms described here:
    > > http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/about-blank-adware.html Various

    pop-ups
    > > appear and the computer is slowed down.
    > >
    > > "Here's the problem - Internet Explorer seems to have decided that the

    home
    > > page About:blank is what will greet you every time you open a new

    browser
    > > window. You try to change it back but either your Internet Options are
    > > greyed out or you change the page back, only to find next time you start
    > > Internet Explorer the dreaded About:blank has returned.
    > >
    > > There are many possible causes for this behaviour and most are evil. One
    > > possible cause is a virus, but this is not very common. The most likely
    > > culprit is an adware/browser hijack program - in particular,

    CoolWebSearch.

    > > The symptom that identifies the CoolWebSearch or a close variation is

    that
    > > About:Blank appears as the address, but in the background a window pops

    up
    > > stating that spyware, adware or something similar has been found on your
    > > system. CoolWebSearch is a browser hijack program - it that takes over

    your
    > > page, and keeps changing it back. It's purpose is to show you

    advertising,
    > > or flog you an over-priced piece of software to fix the issue

    CoolWebSearch
    > > has created. The About:Blank change is a trick designed to confuse

    users -
    > > regrettably, it is very successful!"
    > >
    > > Any ideas about how to eradicate this spyware? Thanks. Would other
    > > anti-spyware programs be better than Ad-Aware?
    > >

    > Be sure to turn System Restore off before running the cleaners.
    > You can turn it back on after you've finished.

    I willm but why is this relevant?

    Splidger, Dec 29, 2004
  5. Splidger

    Gort Guest

    Splidger wrote:
    > "Gort" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Splidger wrote:
    >>
    >>>I think my friend's computer is infected with CoolWebSearch, which
    >>>apparently, is hard to destroy.
    >>>
    >>>We have tried Ad-Aware and also the CWShredder program. The former
    >>>constantly finds things which reappear once deleted; the latter finds
    >>>nothing.
    >>>
    >>>I believe it is CWS because it meets the symptoms described here:
    >>>http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/about-blank-adware.html Various

    > pop-ups
    >
    >>>appear and the computer is slowed down.
    >>>
    >>>"Here's the problem - Internet Explorer seems to have decided that the

    > home
    >
    >>>page About:blank is what will greet you every time you open a new

    > browser
    >
    >>>window. You try to change it back but either your Internet Options are
    >>>greyed out or you change the page back, only to find next time you start
    >>>Internet Explorer the dreaded About:blank has returned.
    >>>
    >>>There are many possible causes for this behaviour and most are evil. One
    >>>possible cause is a virus, but this is not very common. The most likely
    >>>culprit is an adware/browser hijack program - in particular,

    > CoolWebSearch.
    >
    >>>The symptom that identifies the CoolWebSearch or a close variation is

    > that
    >
    >>>About:Blank appears as the address, but in the background a window pops

    > up
    >
    >>>stating that spyware, adware or something similar has been found on your
    >>>system. CoolWebSearch is a browser hijack program - it that takes over

    > your
    >
    >>>page, and keeps changing it back. It's purpose is to show you

    > advertising,
    >
    >>>or flog you an over-priced piece of software to fix the issue

    > CoolWebSearch
    >
    >>>has created. The About:Blank change is a trick designed to confuse

    > users -
    >
    >>>regrettably, it is very successful!"
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas about how to eradicate this spyware? Thanks. Would other
    >>>anti-spyware programs be better than Ad-Aware?
    >>>

    >>Be sure to turn System Restore off before running the cleaners.
    >>You can turn it back on after you've finished.
    >>

    > I willm but why is this relevant?

    The virus/whatever may have been copied to System Restore file as being
    part of the files.

    Turning Restore off deletes those files, including the virus/whatever,
    so when you've cleaned the problem out you'll want to turn it back on
    and make a new Restore Point.

    Gort, Dec 29, 2004