    cent of the proceeds will go to earth-quake victims of Pakistan and the rest
    to the people affected in India,? he was quoted.

    Does anyone have any ideas?

    Craig Sutton, Jan 16, 2006

  2. Craig Sutton

    Steve Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 00:51:51 +1300, Craig Sutton wrote:

    > I'm having trouble cut'n pasting items off some news sites
    >
    > When pasted often things like Quotations marks and apostrophe's come out
    > replaced with question marks.I'm mostly pasting from IE but I have the same
    > problem with Firefox.
    >
    > "We will play the matches at a neutral venue in April this year and 75 per
    > cent of the proceeds will go to earth-quake victims of Pakistan and the rest
    > to the people affected in India," he was quoted.
    >
    > will come out as this
    >
    > ?We will play the matches at a neutral venue in April this year and 75 per
    > cent of the proceeds will go to earth-quake victims of Pakistan and the rest
    > to the people affected in India,? he was quoted.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas?

    It's a character set thing. The original text contained weird characters
    that aren't a straight ' or " but look like them. I see it a lot from
    Mac users.

    Steve, Jan 16, 2006

  3. Craig Sutton

    Richard Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > I'm having trouble cut'n pasting items off some news sites
    >
    > When pasted often things like Quotations marks and apostrophe's come out
    > replaced with question marks.I'm mostly pasting from IE but I have the same
    > problem with Firefox.
    >
    > "We will play the matches at a neutral venue in April this year and 75 per
    > cent of the proceeds will go to earth-quake victims of Pakistan and the rest
    > to the people affected in India," he was quoted.
    >
    > will come out as this
    >
    > ?We will play the matches at a neutral venue in April this year and 75 per
    > cent of the proceeds will go to earth-quake victims of Pakistan and the rest
    > to the people affected in India,? he was quoted.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas?

    What are you pasting into?

    Try notepad, but before you paste go file save as and change the encoding to
    unicode and see if you have better luck pasting. Also change the font in
    whatever you are pasting to for one with a full character set like arial. Also
    check the characters you need are in the font you are pasting into.

    Richard, Jan 16, 2006
  4. Craig Sutton

    steve Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:

    > I'm having trouble cut'n pasting items off some news sites
    >
    > When pasted often things like Quotations marks and apostrophe's come out
    > replaced with question marks.I'm mostly pasting from IE but I have the
    > same problem with Firefox.
    >
    > "We will play the matches at a neutral venue in April this year and 75 per
    > cent of the proceeds will go to earth-quake victims of Pakistan and the
    > rest to the people affected in India," he was quoted.
    >
    > will come out as this
    >
    > ?We will play the matches at a neutral venue in April this year and 75 per
    > cent of the proceeds will go to earth-quake victims of Pakistan and the
    > rest to the people affected in India,? he was quoted.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas?

    I see the same thing.

    a '-' (dash) is typically rendered as a '?' (question mark).

    steve, Jan 17, 2006
  5. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    > > I'm having trouble cut'n pasting items off some news sites
    > >
    > > When pasted often things like Quotations marks and apostrophe's come out
    > > replaced with question marks.I'm mostly pasting from IE but I have the

    same
    > > problem with Firefox.
    > >
    > > "We will play the matches at a neutral venue in April this year and 75

    per
    > > cent of the proceeds will go to earth-quake victims of Pakistan and the

    rest
    > > to the people affected in India," he was quoted.
    > >
    > > will come out as this
    > >
    > > ?We will play the matches at a neutral venue in April this year and 75

    per
    > > cent of the proceeds will go to earth-quake victims of Pakistan and the

    rest
    > > to the people affected in India,? he was quoted.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any ideas?

    > What are you pasting into?
    >
    > Try notepad, but before you paste go file save as and change the encoding

    > unicode and see if you have better luck pasting. Also change the font in
    > whatever you are pasting to for one with a full character set like arial.

    Also
    > check the characters you need are in the font you are pasting into.

    Does it in notepad as well. Also Notepad in win 98 hasn't got the option you
    refer to.

    Its Really annoying anyway, as I Cutnpaste quite a bit of news content for
    my website.

    Craig Sutton, Jan 17, 2006
  6. Craig Sutton

    Richard Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:

    > Does it in notepad as well. Also Notepad in win 98 hasn't got the option you
    > refer to.
    >
    > Its Really annoying anyway, as I Cutnpaste quite a bit of news content for
    > my website.

    Well that will be the problem, win98 doesnt handle unicode at the OS level, its
    up to the applications to convert it, and most things dont bother.

    Richard, Jan 18, 2006
  7. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    >

    > > Does it in notepad as well. Also Notepad in win 98 hasn't got the option

    you
    > > refer to.
    > >
    > > Its Really annoying anyway, as I Cutnpaste quite a bit of news content

    for
    > > my website.

    > Well that will be the problem, win98 doesnt handle unicode at the OS

    level, its
    > up to the applications to convert it, and most things dont bother.

    Good infor thanks for that.

    Craig Sutton, Jan 18, 2006