    irwell Guest

    Is it better to cut and paste into a new image,
    than crop and save to a new image.

    irwell, Mar 23, 2007

  2. irwell

    Scott W Guest

    On Mar 22, 3:28 pm, irwell <> wrote:
    > Is it better to cut and paste into a new image,
    > than crop and save to a new image.

    I don't know what program you are using but in Photoshop Elements it
    is much easier to just crop, doing that you can constrain the image
    size to say something like 3x2. You can also setup the resolution
    when you crop, resizing at the same time you crop. As an example you
    can crop and have the resulting image be 4 x 6 inches at 300 ppi,
    which can be pretty handy.

    Scott

    Scott W, Mar 23, 2007

  3. irwell

    Bucky Guest

    On Mar 22, 6:28 pm, irwell <> wrote:
    > Is it better to cut and paste into a new image,
    > than crop and save to a new image.

    I say stay away from cut and paste. You never know what could happen
    to the image during cut and paste (which takes place outside the photo
    editing program).

    Bucky, Mar 23, 2007
  4. On Mar 23, 2:00 am, "Bucky" <> wrote:
    > On Mar 22, 6:28 pm, irwell <> wrote:
    >
    > > Is it better to cut and paste into a new image,
    > > than crop and save to a new image.

    > I say stay away from cut and paste. You never know what could happen
    > to the image during cut and paste (which takes place outside the photo
    > editing program).

    Depends on the editing program. Both PSP and Photoshop both paste
    from within the program. Original is not altered unless you save the
    original file with some editing on it.

    Still, I also recommend using the crop function if that is all you are
    doing. Save cut or copy and paste for more complicated work.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Mar 23, 2007
  5. irwell

    irwell Guest

    On 23 Mar 2007 06:31:04 -0700, "Don Stauffer in Minnesota"
    <> wrote:

    >On Mar 23, 2:00 am, "Bucky" <> wrote:
    >> On Mar 22, 6:28 pm, irwell <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Is it better to cut and paste into a new image,
    >> > than crop and save to a new image.

    >> I say stay away from cut and paste. You never know what could happen
    >> to the image during cut and paste (which takes place outside the photo
    >> editing program).

    >Depends on the editing program. Both PSP and Photoshop both paste
    >from within the program. Original is not altered unless you save the
    >original file with some editing on it.
    >
    >Still, I also recommend using the crop function if that is all you are
    >doing. Save cut or copy and paste for more complicated work.

    On Irfanview there is a function, 'Cut and leave Selection'
    this seems pretty handy as the resolution stays the same,
    whereas with using Crop, the cropped area pixels seem larger and
    blockier.

    irwell, Mar 23, 2007
  6. irwell <> wrote in

    > On 23 Mar 2007 06:31:04 -0700, "Don Stauffer in Minnesota"
    > <> wrote:

    >>> I say stay away from cut and paste. You never know what could
    >>> happen to the image during cut and paste (which takes place
    >>> outside the photo editing program).

    >>Depends on the editing program. Both PSP and Photoshop both
    >>paste from within the program. Original is not altered unless
    >>you save the original file with some editing on it.
    >>
    >>Still, I also recommend using the crop function if that is all
    >>you are doing. Save cut or copy and paste for more complicated
    >>work.

    > On Irfanview there is a function, 'Cut and leave Selection'

    Er, isn't that usually called "Copy"?

    --
    "What is the first law?"
    "To Protect."

    Terry Austin

    No 33 Secretary, Mar 23, 2007
  7. irwell

    Bucky Guest

    On Mar 23, 8:15 am, irwell <> wrote:
    > whereas with using Crop, the cropped area pixels seem larger and
    > blockier.

    huh? that doesn't sound right. maybe you have "fit to screen", and the
    image resolution is smaller than screen resolution, and you don't have
    resample mode selected. cropping does not make anything "blockier".
    choose the "1:1" view mode.

    Bucky, Mar 24, 2007
  8. irwell

    ASAAR Guest

    On 24 Mar 2007 02:02:06 -0700, Bucky wrote:

    >> whereas with using Crop, the cropped area pixels seem larger and
    >> blockier.

    > huh? that doesn't sound right. maybe you have "fit to screen", and the
    > image resolution is smaller than screen resolution, and you don't have
    > resample mode selected. cropping does not make anything "blockier".
    > choose the "1:1" view mode.

    Whether either of the "fit to screen" options are enabled or both
    are disabled, I've noticed something similar that only happens when
    the resampling display option is enabled in Irfanview. If a very
    small image is increased or decreased in size using the '+' or '-'
    keys (for my current Irfanview configuration), the image's pixels
    will be clearly defined. If the 'F' key is pressed to zoom the tiny
    image to Full Screen size, the image's pixels are nicely blurred. I
    noticed this when looking at very small images of Saturn.
    Maximizing the size by typing 'F' produced a clearly defined oval
    shape, but following that by slightly reducing the size by typing
    '-' once or twice changed the smooth oval into a nearly
    unrecognizable object made up of big, square pixels. Typing 'F'
    once more produced the smooth, more recognizable object, so typing
    'F' triggers resampling, I guess. Another way to 'smooth' the
    pixels is to pop up the 'Resize/Resample Image" form, make sure that
    "Resample (better quality)" is enabled, and also enable the 'Best
    fit to desktop' option. This option doesn't stick, so it has to be
    frequently reapplied. But when it is enabled, resampling appears to
    also take place even when the '+' and '-' keys are typed.

    ASAAR, Mar 24, 2007
  9. On Mar 23, 9:15 am, irwell <> wrote:

    > On Irfanview there is a function, 'Cut and leave Selection'
    > this seems pretty handy as the resolution stays the same,
    > whereas with using Crop, the cropped area pixels seem larger and
    > blockier.

    With ANY photo editor, cropping always DOES reduce resolution, i.e.,
    the number of pixels in the cropped image. It HAS to. Now, you may be
    able to upsample to a degree, depending on how good the upsampling
    algortithms of the editor are. But there is no way to cut an area
    from an image and have the pasted image have the same NATIVE number of
    pixels of the original whole image.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Mar 24, 2007