    to Black Viper) i.e. removal un-necessary components. I only have XP Pro and
    currently installing on a 2GB Laptop.
    Please .... I already use SuSE so no need to suggest Linux.

    Use.Netuser.de, Aug 14, 2004

  2. Use.Netuser.de

    JJO Guest

    The fact that it only has 2 GB makes me wonder what the rest of the system
    is like. It is very possible that the laptop is old enough that XP might not
    run properly (i.e. drag like an old dog). Possibly another HD from EBay or
    the like might be a thought. But no point to the install if the system
    yields poor performance.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx

    Regards,
    JJO

    JJO, Aug 14, 2004

  3. Thanks for the reply.
    It has now installed successfully and at the moment I'm removing un-required apps
    etc and tweaking the system to maximise performance ... no bells or whistles and
    also running defrag.
    Installed it uses 1GB and runs smoothly on a 1MB Display!? [800x600 16million].
    You are correct as the slowest part of the system here is the old slow hard drive
    but then as I'll be using this laptop only as a remote VNC client I hope it proves
    satisfactory.

    By the way it's a P150, 80MB RAM, Cirrus Logic 1MB Video & 2GB HD ...

    "JJO" <> wrote ...

    Use.Netuser.de, Aug 14, 2004
  4. Use.Netuser.de

    Pennywise Guest

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 14:52:06 +0100, "Use.Netuser.de"
    <> wrote:

    |>Quick one people.
    |>Any good sites out there that assist in cutting down an XP pro installation (similar
    |>to Black Viper) i.e. removal un-necessary components. I only have XP Pro and
    |>currently installing on a 2GB Laptop.
    |>Please .... I already use SuSE so no need to suggest Linux.

    To remove annoyances check out:
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/category03

    2gig hard drive, you really need to read:
    (Stop Windows from saving the thumbnail cache)
    &
    (How do I reset the Windows Media Player video cache?)

    Pennywise, Aug 14, 2004
  5. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Sat,
    14 Aug 2004 16:44:58 +0100, "Use.Netuser.de"
    <> screamed from behind the mulberry
    bush:

    >Thanks for the reply.
    >It has now installed successfully and at the moment I'm removing un-required apps
    >etc and tweaking the system to maximise performance ... no bells or whistles and
    >also running defrag.
    >Installed it uses 1GB and runs smoothly on a 1MB Display!? [800x600 16million].
    >You are correct as the slowest part of the system here is the old slow hard drive
    >but then as I'll be using this laptop only as a remote VNC client I hope it proves
    >satisfactory.
    >
    >By the way it's a P150, 80MB RAM, Cirrus Logic 1MB Video & 2GB HD ...

    Shit, you got XP to run on that?

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Aug 14, 2004
  6. Use.Netuser.de

    Hamman Guest

    > but then as I'll be using this laptop only as a remote VNC client I hope

    it proves
    > satisfactory.
    >
    > By the way it's a P150, 80MB RAM, Cirrus Logic 1MB Video & 2GB HD ...

    I would say that win 2000 pro is a better OS for that hardware, even then,
    its pushing the specs.

    XP Pro was *just* smooth on a dual 200MMX + 128Mb with 2x 10k rpm SCSI
    disks. Anything less and it gets pretty poor.

    Hamman

    Hamman, Aug 14, 2004
  7. Use.Netuser.de

    Pennywise Guest

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 10:23:32 -0700, Pennywise <>
    wrote:

    |>To remove annoyances check out:
    |>http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/category03
    |>
    |>2gig hard drive, you really need to read:
    |>http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article03-204
    |>(Stop Windows from saving the thumbnail cache)
    |>&
    |>http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article03-101
    |>(How do I reset the Windows Media Player video cache?)

    All the above is a mute point seeing your system.

    |> By the way it's a P150, 80MB RAM, Cirrus Logic 1MB Video & 2GB HD ...

    I agree with Hamman you really should look into running W2Kpro, it
    would run fine (well ok) on your system. Or 98.

    XP has just too much overhead for your set-up.

    Pennywise, Aug 14, 2004
  8. Use.Netuser.de

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    > Quick one people.
    > Any good sites out there that assist in cutting down an XP pro

    installation (similar
    > to Black Viper) i.e. removal un-necessary components. I only have XP Pro

    and
    > currently installing on a 2GB Laptop.
    > Please .... I already use SuSE so no need to suggest Linux.

    install win2k instead...

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Aug 15, 2004
  9. "Pennywise" <> wrote

    (similar

    > |>To remove annoyances check out:
    > |>http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/category03
    > |>
    > |>2gig hard drive, you really need to read:
    > |>http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article03-204
    > |>(Stop Windows from saving the thumbnail cache)
    > |>&
    > |>http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article03-101
    > |>(How do I reset the Windows Media Player video cache?)
    >
    > All the above is a mute point seeing your system.
    >
    > |> By the way it's a P150, 80MB RAM, Cirrus Logic 1MB Video & 2GB HD ...
    >
    > I agree with Hamman you really should look into running W2Kpro, it
    > would run fine (well ok) on your system. Or 98.
    >
    > XP has just too much overhead for your set-up.

    Thanks to all that responded. The annoyances site is great ... bookmarked.
    It seems to run just fine so far ... ok not perfect especially the 800x600
    resolution limit!
    This is purely a VNC dumb terminal and nothing need be installed ... if only it
    supported 1024x768.
    I guess I'm an XP-ite and got pissed at the networking issues with 9x. All things
    considered XP runs almost as smoothly as 98SE ... anyway I digress thanks for the
    input people.

    Use.Netuser.de, Aug 15, 2004
  10. Use.Netuser.de

    nota chance Guest

    Use.Netuser.de wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply.
    > It has now installed successfully and at the moment I'm removing un-required apps
    > etc and tweaking the system to maximise performance ... no bells or whistles and
    > also running defrag.
    > Installed it uses 1GB and runs smoothly on a 1MB Display!? [800x600 16million].
    > You are correct as the slowest part of the system here is the old slow hard drive
    > but then as I'll be using this laptop only as a remote VNC client I hope it proves
    > satisfactory.
    >
    > By the way it's a P150, 80MB RAM, Cirrus Logic 1MB Video & 2GB HD ...
    >
    > "JJO" <> wrote ...
    >
    >>The fact that it only has 2 GB makes me wonder what the rest of the system
    >>is like. It is very possible that the laptop is old enough that XP might not
    >>run properly (i.e. drag like an old dog). Possibly another HD from EBay or
    >>the like might be a thought. But no point to the install if the system
    >>yields poor performance.
    >>
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>JJO
    >>
    >>"Use.Netuser.de" <> ...
    >>
    >>>Quick one people.
    >>>Any good sites out there that assist in cutting down an XP pro
    >>>installation (similar
    >>>to Black Viper) i.e. removal un-necessary components. I only have XP Pro
    >>>and
    >>>currently installing on a 2GB Laptop.
    >>>Please .... I already use SuSE so no need to suggest Linux.

    one big are is to waste the i386 files under cache, waste notepad I hate
    it. this has been used now in two worm viruses in the past. Replace
    defrager with diskkeeoer you'll thank me way better and more stable,
    hogs less memory.

    nota chance, Aug 15, 2004