    Any thoughts welcome

    cheers Mike

    ---

    Michael, Oct 16, 2004

  2. On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 20:08:13 GMT, "Michael"
    <> wrote:

    >Orsered 3 dvds from dvd pacific and they come to £18 dead with postage 20.76
    >and now i have to pay customs why, i know the limit is £18 dead so am i
    >right in saying this is wrong

    Limit is 18 INCLUDING postage so you are over the limit

    Frederico Fonseca
    ema il: frederico_fonseca at syssoft-int.com

    Frederico Fonseca, Oct 16, 2004

  3. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "Frederico Fonseca" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 20:08:13 GMT, "Michael"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Orsered 3 dvds from dvd pacific and they come to £18 dead with postage

    20.76
    > >and now i have to pay customs why, i know the limit is £18 dead so am i
    > >right in saying this is wrong

    > Limit is 18 INCLUDING postage so you are over the limit
    >

    > Frederico Fonseca
    > ema il: frederico_fonseca at syssoft-int.com

    hi fred

    i was always told the postage was never included as they only mark the price
    of the dvd on ths box no postage

    ---

    Michael, Oct 16, 2004
  4. Michael

    Nigel Guest

    Michael typed:

    > hi fred
    >
    > i was always told the postage was never included as they only mark
    > the price of the dvd on ths box no postage

    I always thought that too Michael

    That's the whole point of the value box on the customs declaration label I
    thought? If it includes postage too, how does that work when half the
    companies I order from (Play & Sendit to name a few - who both ship from
    Jersey) offer "free" postage and therefore don't display any postage cost on
    the packets?

    --
    Nige

    Nigel, Oct 16, 2004
  5. Michael

    AV99 Guest

    "Nigel" <> wrote in message
    > Michael typed:
    >
    > > hi fred
    > >
    > > i was always told the postage was never included as they only mark
    > > the price of the dvd on ths box no postage

    > I always thought that too Michael
    >
    > That's the whole point of the value box on the customs declaration label I
    > thought? If it includes postage too, how does that work when half the
    > companies I order from (Play & Sendit to name a few - who both ship from
    > Jersey) offer "free" postage and therefore don't display any postage cost

    on
    > the packets?
    >
    > --
    > Nige

    Postal costs do not need to be included according to HM Customs Manchester
    after I asked them , it is the value of the product only . If it comes to
    £17.99 your alright , £18 & more your stuffed .

    AV99, Oct 16, 2004
  6. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "AV99" <> wrote in message

    > "Nigel" <> wrote in message
    > > Michael typed:
    > >
    > > > hi fred
    > > >
    > > > i was always told the postage was never included as they only mark
    > > > the price of the dvd on ths box no postage

    > > I always thought that too Michael
    > >
    > > That's the whole point of the value box on the customs declaration label

    > > thought? If it includes postage too, how does that work when half the
    > > companies I order from (Play & Sendit to name a few - who both ship from
    > > Jersey) offer "free" postage and therefore don't display any postage

    cost
    > on
    > > the packets?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Nige

    > Postal costs do not need to be included according to HM Customs Manchester
    > after I asked them , it is the value of the product only . If it comes to
    > £17.99 your alright , £18 & more your stuffed .

    So for one lousy penny its cost me 7 quid, what aresholes customs are and i
    hope they read this to

    thanks guys for the replies

    Mike

    ---

    Michael, Oct 16, 2004
  7. Michael

    AV99 Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote in message

    > "AV99" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Nigel" <> wrote in message
    > > > Michael typed:

    > > > I always thought that too Michael
    > > >
    > > > That's the whole point of the value box on the customs declaration

    label
    > > > thought? If it includes postage too, how does that work when half the
    > > > companies I order from (Play & Sendit to name a few - who both ship

    from
    > > > Jersey) offer "free" postage and therefore don't display any postage

    > cost
    > > on
    > > > the packets?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Nige

    > > Postal costs do not need to be included according to HM Customs

    Manchester
    > > after I asked them , it is the value of the product only . If it comes

    > > £17.99 your alright , £18 & more your stuffed .

    > So for one lousy penny its cost me 7 quid, what aresholes customs are and

    > hope they read this to
    >
    > thanks guys for the replies
    >
    > Mike
    >

    > ---

    The reason I asked was because I received a disc from CDWow for precisely
    £18 & got bit by Royal Mail for customs & handling fees etc , cost me nearly
    £7 too but £4 of the was the bloody Royal Mail charge .

    AV99, Oct 16, 2004
  8. Michael

    Jabbitt Guest

    > The reason I asked was because I received a disc from CDWow for
    > precisely £18 & got bit by Royal Mail for customs & handling fees etc
    > , cost me nearly £7 too but £4 of the was the bloody Royal Mail
    > charge .

    I don't mind the customs charge so much, its the Royal Mail fee I think is
    unfair. Jeez, i dread to think how much my Hellboy DVD Gift set is going to
    cost when the postman shows up...

    Jabbitt, Oct 16, 2004
  9. Michael

    Zygon Curry Guest

    On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 20:56:40 GMT, "AV99" <>
    wrote:

    >The reason I asked was because I received a disc from CDWow for precisely
    >£18 & got bit by Royal Mail for customs & handling fees etc , cost me nearly
    >£7 too but £4 of the was the bloody Royal Mail charge .

    The £4 charge is a pathetic ripoff by royal mail. £4 to hand over and
    collect a parcel.

    Zygon Curry, Oct 16, 2004
  10. Michael

    Biz Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote in message

    > So for one lousy penny its cost me 7 quid, what aresholes customs are and

    > hope they read this to
    >
    > thanks guys for the replies
    >
    > Mike

    Rules are rules, if you dont like them, work to get them changed, until then
    don't break them.

    Biz, Oct 16, 2004
  11. Michael

    Zygon Curry Guest

    On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:07:15 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:

    >"Michael" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> So for one lousy penny its cost me 7 quid, what aresholes customs are and

    >> hope they read this to
    >>
    >> thanks guys for the replies
    >>
    >> Mike

    >Rules are rules, if you dont like them, work to get them changed, until then
    >don't break them.

    It's not about fair, more about ripoff. The tax charge I can
    understand, but at £17.99 it hardly allows for any box sets, etc for
    starters.

    As for the £4 royal mail charge.... That in the above example is more
    then the actual tax!

    Total: £7

    Royal Mail charge: £4

    Actual Tax: £3

    Zygon Curry, Oct 16, 2004
  12. Michael

    Damon Guest

    "Jabbitt" <> wrote in

    >> The reason I asked was because I received a disc from CDWow for
    >> precisely £18 & got bit by Royal Mail for customs & handling fees etc
    >> , cost me nearly £7 too but £4 of the was the bloody Royal Mail
    >> charge .

    > I don't mind the customs charge so much, its the Royal Mail fee I
    > think is unfair. Jeez, i dread to think how much my Hellboy DVD Gift
    > set is going to cost when the postman shows up...

    We have had £140 worth of stuff arrive this week with no charges at all
    so it is the roll of the dice as to whether you get charged or not.

    Damon

    Damon, Oct 16, 2004
  13. Michael

    John Howells Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote

    > Orsered 3 dvds from dvd pacific and they come to £18 dead with postage

    20.76
    > and now i have to pay customs why, i know the limit is £18 dead so am i
    > right in saying this is wrong
    >
    > Any thoughts welcome

    If it really is £18 exactly then no duty should have been charged. The limit
    is £18 or less for the intrinsic value (which excludes P&P). For more than
    £18 payment is due on the total value, including P&P. If you want to check
    it out start from www.hmce.gov.uk (it'll redirect you to something more
    complex), and put "guide for international postal users" in the search box
    and select that title from the results. To check the value from the same
    start page select "Exchange Rates" under "Popular links".

    John Howells

    John Howells, Oct 16, 2004
  14. Michael

    John Howells Guest

    "Frederico Fonseca" <> wrote

    > On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 20:08:13 GMT, "Michael"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Orsered 3 dvds from dvd pacific and they come to £18 dead with postage

    20.76
    > >and now i have to pay customs why, i know the limit is £18 dead so am i
    > >right in saying this is wrong

    > Limit is 18 INCLUDING postage so you are over the limit

    No. The limit is £18 excluding postage (the so-called "intrinsic value"),
    but if charges are due the calculation is then based on the value including
    P&P.

    John Howells

    John Howells, Oct 16, 2004
  15. Michael

    John Howells Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote

    > > Postal costs do not need to be included according to HM Customs

    Manchester
    > > after I asked them , it is the value of the product only . If it comes

    > > £17.99 your alright , £18 & more your stuffed .

    > So for one lousy penny its cost me 7 quid,

    It should not have. Notice 143 actually says "EC agreements allow relief
    from charges on certain imported goods if they: have an intrinsic value of
    £18 or less". As noted, intrinsic value excluded P&P, so at £18 there should
    be no charges, but on £18.01 ... If HMCE Manchester said otherwise somebody
    should point them at their own web site for the correct information, or that
    notice needs to be corrected.

    John Howells

    John Howells, Oct 16, 2004
  16. "Biz" <> wrote in message

    > "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > So for one lousy penny its cost me 7 quid, what aresholes customs are and

    > > hope they read this to
    > >
    > > thanks guys for the replies
    > >
    > > Mike

    > Rules are rules, if you dont like them, work to get them changed, until then
    > don't break them.

    And it's not just the UK this applies to it works the other way around too.
    Whether you live in the EU, USA, Australia etc etc.

    --
    For free calls: http://www.bextech.me.uk/talktalk.htm
    For Mobile Phone Offers: http://bextechtelecom.2u.co.uk

    http://www.south-east-birmingham.tk

    {{{{Welcome}}}}, Oct 17, 2004
  17. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "Zygon Curry" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:07:15 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Michael" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> So for one lousy penny its cost me 7 quid, what aresholes customs are

    and
    > >> hope they read this to
    > >>
    > >> thanks guys for the replies
    > >>
    > >> Mike

    > >Rules are rules, if you dont like them, work to get them changed, until

    then
    > >don't break them.

    what rules have i broke biz, look the customs charge says i can import goods
    to the price of £18 which i did, postage charges are not taken into
    consuideration by the customs office so they are void of the price in
    question so what have i done wrong

    > It's not about fair, more about ripoff. The tax charge I can
    > understand, but at £17.99 it hardly allows for any box sets, etc for
    > starters.
    >
    > As for the £4 royal mail charge.... That in the above example is more
    > then the actual tax!
    >
    > Total: £7
    >
    > Royal Mail charge: £4
    >
    > Actual Tax: £3

    ---

    Michael, Oct 17, 2004
  18. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "{{{{Welcome}}}}" <> wrote in message

    > "Biz" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > So for one lousy penny its cost me 7 quid, what aresholes customs are

    and
    > > > hope they read this to
    > > >
    > > > thanks guys for the replies
    > > >
    > > > Mike

    > > Rules are rules, if you dont like them, work to get them changed, until

    then
    > > don't break them.
    > >

    > And it's not just the UK this applies to it works the other way around

    too.
    > Whether you live in the EU, USA, Australia etc etc.

    i know all countries are the same but as i said in the above post no rules
    have been broken, my order came to £18 GBP thats is the limit regardless
    of postage which can not be taken into the discussion, as customs themselves
    say you only pay for the ordered items not postage as some one on here as
    quoted

    mike

    Michael, Oct 17, 2004
  19. On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 20:08:13 GMT, "Michael" <> wrote:

    >Orsered 3 dvds from dvd pacific and they come to £18 dead with postage 20.76
    >and now i have to pay customs why, i know the limit is £18 dead so am i
    >right in saying this is wrong

    Don't you have some sort of customs/tax appeals process in the UK?

    The same thing happens to me (in Canada) a few times a year, usually due to
    misdeclaration of value on the part of the sender: they include the shipping
    costs, or round the value up, or inflate the value from $20 to $50, thinking
    they're doing me a favour w/r/t insurance if the package goes missing.

    Once I've collected two or three, I mail in the customs forms with proof of
    the real purchase price. So far, I've had no problem getting my money back,
    even when my proof of purchase was only a printout of an eBay auction page.

    If it was any more difficult, or if it only happened once, I'd let it go. As
    it is, I figure it's worth the effort to get $25-$50 back at a time.

    Incidentally, Canada Post's handling fee for packages with customs/tax due is
    a flat $5.00, and considering what UPS/FedEx/DHL/Purolator et al. charge under
    the same circumstances (from 3x - 10x that amount, depending on the value of
    the shipment), I think it's a bargain. Judging by the complaints in this
    thread about your £4 handling fee, I take it you folks don't get ripped off as
    badly as we do by the couriers?

    - R.

    Robert Barnhardt, Oct 17, 2004
  20. "> Incidentally, Canada Post's handling fee for packages with customs/tax
    due is
    > a flat $5.00, and considering what UPS/FedEx/DHL/Purolator et al. charge

    under
    > the same circumstances (from 3x - 10x that amount, depending on the value

    of
    > the shipment), I think it's a bargain. Judging by the complaints in this
    > thread about your £4 handling fee, I take it you folks don't get ripped

    off as
    > badly as we do by the couriers?

    Some couriers in the UK charge a £10 admin fee.

    Michael Jones, Oct 17, 2004