    from loaded and don't pay any duties

    advise please and thanks in advance

    cheers Dave

    Dragon, Jan 29, 2004

  2. Dragon

    CW Guest

    "Dragon" <> wrote in message
    news:9t9Sb.4538$...
    > I am interested in buying a box set for £28 from DVD pacific but does

    anyone
    > know roughly how much customs would want for duties on the 28 pound.
    > Loaded247 have the box set for £48 and I don't pay duties as I got two of
    > the same boxsets from the last year with no duty charges, so would it be
    > worth me getting it from DVD Pacific and paying the extra duties or get it
    > from loaded and don't pay any duties
    >
    > advise please and thanks in advance
    >
    > cheers Dave

    3.5% Import Duty
    17.5% VAT
    £4 admin fee

    So for £28 it would be around £10 in charges

    CW, Jan 29, 2004

  3. Dragon

    Ian S Guest

    "CW" <> wrote in message

    > "Dragon" <> wrote in message
    > > I am interested in buying a box set for £28 from DVD pacific but does

    > anyone
    > > know roughly how much customs would want for duties on the 28 pound.
    > > Loaded247 have the box set for £48 and I don't pay duties as I got two

    of
    > > the same boxsets from the last year with no duty charges, so would it be
    > > worth me getting it from DVD Pacific and paying the extra duties or get

    it
    > > from loaded and don't pay any duties
    > >
    > > advise please and thanks in advance
    > >
    > > cheers Dave
    > >

    > 3.5% Import Duty
    > 17.5% VAT
    > £4 admin fee

    Not necessarily. Customs don't nomally bother if the value is under (IIRC)
    £35. The customs charge is actually much lower than you state. I have just
    been charged slightly over £10 for $80 (~£60-70) worth of DVDs.

    Ian S

    Ian S, Jan 30, 2004
  4. Dragon

    ZC TGS Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:33:03 -0000, "Ian S"
    <> wrote:

    >Not necessarily. Customs don't nomally bother if the value is under (IIRC)
    >£35. The customs charge is actually much lower than you state. I have just
    >been charged slightly over £10 for $80 (~£60-70) worth of DVDs.

    Not quite true.

    I've imported Region 1 boxsets cost over £30 each and have been
    slapped with the tax.

    ZC TGS, Jan 30, 2004
  5. Dragon

    Lithurge Guest

    "Ian S" <> wrote in

    > "CW" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Dragon" <> wrote in
    >> message
    >> > I am interested in buying a box set for £28 from DVD
    >> > pacific but does

    >> anyone
    >> > know roughly how much customs would want for duties on
    >> > the 28 pound. Loaded247 have the box set for £48 and I
    >> > don't pay duties as I got two

    > of
    >> > the same boxsets from the last year with no duty
    >> > charges, so would it be worth me getting it from DVD
    >> > Pacific and paying the extra duties or get

    > it
    >> > from loaded and don't pay any duties
    >> >
    >> > advise please and thanks in advance
    >> >
    >> > cheers Dave
    >> >

    >> 3.5% Import Duty
    >> 17.5% VAT
    >> £4 admin fee
    >>

    > Not necessarily. Customs don't nomally bother if the value
    > is under (IIRC) £35. The customs charge is actually much
    > lower than you state. I have just been charged slightly
    > over £10 for $80 (~£60-70) worth of DVDs.
    >
    > Ian S

    UK customs for 'commercial' deliveries will charge on orders
    above £18. If it's a gift the limit before a charge is made is
    £35.

    $80 is not £60-70 at the current exchange rate it's more like
    £43, and around £10 sounds about right for that.

    Lithurge, Jan 30, 2004
  6. Dragon

    John Howells Guest

    "Ian S" <> wrote in message

    > "CW" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Dragon" <> wrote in message
    > > > I am interested in buying a box set for £28 from DVD pacific but does

    > > anyone
    > > > know roughly how much customs would want for duties on the 28 pound.
    > > > Loaded247 have the box set for £48 and I don't pay duties as I got two

    > of
    > > > the same boxsets from the last year with no duty charges, so would it

    be
    > > > worth me getting it from DVD Pacific and paying the extra duties or

    get
    > it
    > > > from loaded and don't pay any duties
    > > >
    > > > advise please and thanks in advance
    > > >
    > > > cheers Dave
    > > >

    > > 3.5% Import Duty
    > > 17.5% VAT
    > > £4 admin fee
    > >

    > Not necessarily. Customs don't nomally bother if the value is under

    (IIRC)
    > £35.

    No. Anything over the £18 is liable to be charged if the package is not a
    gift. About a year ago I was charged for a package with £19 of DVDs.

    > The customs charge is actually much lower than you state. I have just
    > been charged slightly over £10 for $80 (~£60-70) worth of DVDs.

    Apart from the Duty, which will not be charged (don't ask me why - it just
    is not!) the figures quoted were correct, so $80 is £45.41 at the USA
    exchange rate of 1.7618 used by HMCE during January (when was the exchange
    rate last 1.15 to 1.33?). On that the VAT at 17.5% gives £7.94, to which is
    added £4.00 for the P.O. fee, giving £11.94 in total. So just how much more
    than £10 were you charged?

    John Howells

    John Howells, Jan 30, 2004