    Or do I have to start over and make and save them specifically for the D200.
    Thanks.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Dec 17, 2005

  2. Rita Ä Berkowitz

    [BnH] Guest

    Try it first.
    I load D70 cc to D1H and D1X. works fine :p

    =bob=

    [BnH], Dec 17, 2005

  3. Rita Ä Berkowitz

    GTO Guest

    What are your current firmware revisions?

    I remember it took Nikon several months until they shipped a greatly
    corrected firmware for the D70 (July 2004). I expect the D200 to work
    properly until April '06. In the meantime, enjoy your work as a unpaid
    beta-tester ;-)

    Gregor

    GTO, Dec 18, 2005
  4. Rita Ä Berkowitz

    GTO Guest

    Typo in my last post. "I DON"T expect it to work properly until April '06"
    due to FW problems that gradually will be addressed. This makes the D200 a
    reliable camera in a few months. A professional in desperate need for a
    reliable Nikon camera should only consider the much more expensive D2X (or
    D2Hs if 12MP resolution is not required or a 1/500 flash sync is essential)
    since this camera is tested and will work well. Only an early adopter will
    jump on the D200 at such an early stage. As a backup, the D70s is now the
    safer choice. Of course, this all changes once we can see what the D200 is
    really capable of and Nikon had a chance to fix all the problems the early
    adopters will find.

    Gregor

    GTO, Dec 18, 2005
  5. [BnH] wrote:

    > Try it first.
    > I load D70 cc to D1H and D1X. works fine :p

    Thanks, I'll give it a try this afternoon to see how it works.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Dec 18, 2005
  6. GTO wrote:
    > What are your current firmware revisions?

    On the D200? It's packed away in the old Pelican at the moment.

    > I remember it took Nikon several months until they shipped a greatly
    > corrected firmware for the D70 (July 2004). I expect the D200 to work
    > properly until April '06. In the meantime, enjoy your work as a unpaid
    > beta-tester ;-)

    Huh? I got the D70 when first introduced and it worked fine right out of
    the box and used the original firmware for the longest time. I did update
    to the latest revision long after it was introduced solely for the reason of
    being able to do so, not because I had any problems that needed addressing.
    It's one of those "keeping up with the Jones" thing.

    As for beta testing, I really don't mind. If the D200 works as well and
    flawlessly for me as the D70 and the D2x, I'll feel shunned since I won't be
    part of this exclusive club you speak of. Hey, no worries.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Dec 18, 2005
  7. GTO wrote:
    > Typo in my last post. "I DON"T expect it to work properly until April
    > '06" due to FW problems that gradually will be addressed. This makes
    > the D200 a reliable camera in a few months. A professional in
    > desperate need for a reliable Nikon camera should only consider the
    > much more expensive D2X (or D2Hs if 12MP resolution is not required
    > or a 1/500 flash sync is essential) since this camera is tested and
    > will work well. Only an early adopter will jump on the D200 at such
    > an early stage. As a backup, the D70s is now the safer choice. Of
    > course, this all changes once we can see what the D200 is really
    > capable of and Nikon had a chance to fix all the problems the early
    > adopters will find.

    I kind of figured out where you were going in your first post.

    What if one already has a D2x and a D70 and doesn't care about all the
    negative hype (some justified while most is imaginary) on the internet? I
    think most reasonable people buy the tools they need for the job at hand and
    use them so they can earn a living while there are others that solely use
    them to get the most enjoyment value out of them. I have been more than
    adequately satisfied with all my Nikon bodies and lenses and have no
    problems buying any of their products sight unseen. And in the unlikely
    event I get a dud I have a one-year US warranty to send it back to Nikon for
    repair. I think I have all my bases covered.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Dec 18, 2005
  8. Rita Ä Berkowitz

    Ole Larsen Guest

    Rita Ä Berkowitz skrev:
    > I've been playing with my D200 today and I want to upload custom curves to
    > it. Can curves made for the D2x be uploaded to the D200 and work properly?
    > Or do I have to start over and make and save them specifically for the
    > D200.
    > Thanks.
    >

    > Rita

    AFAIK cc is of no use when shooting raw. Correct?

    --
    Med venlig hilsen, Ole Larsen.
    New Images And Design 2005-11-17

    Ole Larsen, Dec 18, 2005
  9. Ole Larsen wrote:

    > AFAIK cc is of no use when shooting raw. Correct?

    Pretty much. They are great for saving time when you want to have JPG right
    out of the camera without having to post process. This is especially true
    for general-purpose snapshots and pics for eBay.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Dec 18, 2005
  10. Rita Ä Berkowitz

    Guest

    In message <>,
    "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

    >Ole Larsen wrote:
    >
    >> AFAIK cc is of no use when shooting raw. Correct?

    >Pretty much. They are great for saving time when you want to have JPG right
    >out of the camera without having to post process. This is especially true
    >for general-purpose snapshots and pics for eBay.

    Well, I don't know for sure if it's true, but the buzz I've heard is
    that the D200 has so-called "encryped white balance" like the D2X, so
    that might mean they take a similar approach, in which the WB setting
    actually affects the sensor readout, reducing posterization in the
    weaker RAW color channels, such as the blue in tungsten light, or the
    red in shade illuminated by deep blue sky. Should make the shadows more
    usable, especially at the lower ISOs.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Dec 18, 2005
  11. Rita Ä Berkowitz

    Paul Furman Guest

    wrote:

    > "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Ole Larsen wrote:
    >>
    >>>AFAIK cc is of no use when shooting raw. Correct?

    >>Pretty much. They are great for saving time when you want to have JPG right
    >>out of the camera without having to post process. This is especially true
    >>for general-purpose snapshots and pics for eBay.

    > Well, I don't know for sure if it's true, but the buzz I've heard is
    > that the D200 has so-called "encryped white balance" like the D2X, so
    > that might mean they take a similar approach, in which the WB setting
    > actually affects the sensor readout, reducing posterization in the
    > weaker RAW color channels, such as the blue in tungsten light, or the
    > red in shade illuminated by deep blue sky. Should make the shadows more
    > usable, especially at the lower ISOs.

    Looking at the D200 manual, the WB bracketing is disabled if shooting in
    any sort of RAW mode. That suggests this top secret WB does not effect
    the RAW capture. I don't know if the same is true for the D2x.

    Paul Furman, Dec 18, 2005
  12. Rita Ä Berkowitz

    Guest

    In message <>,
    Paul Furman <> wrote:

    >Looking at the D200 manual, the WB bracketing is disabled if shooting in
    >any sort of RAW mode. That suggests this top secret WB does not effect
    >the RAW capture. I don't know if the same is true for the D2x.

    That's inconclusive. WB bracketing (if it is what I think it is), is
    the camera making multiple JPEGs from the same RAW data. You can't read
    the RAW data 3 different times and amplify the red and blue channels
    differently, and that may be the reason it is disabled.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Dec 18, 2005
  13. Rita Ä Berkowitz

    Paul Furman Guest

    wrote:
    > In message <>,
    > Paul Furman <> wrote:
    >

    >>Looking at the D200 manual, the WB bracketing is disabled if shooting in
    >>any sort of RAW mode. That suggests this top secret WB does not effect
    >>the RAW capture. I don't know if the same is true for the D2x.

    > That's inconclusive. WB bracketing (if it is what I think it is), is
    > the camera making multiple JPEGs from the same RAW data. You can't read
    > the RAW data 3 different times and amplify the red and blue channels
    > differently, and that may be the reason it is disabled.

    Correct, it only takes one picture. I didn't realize that. But still
    that is kind of a silly feature if the WB really is so important, the WB
    bracketing should take multiple exposures. I'm still curious how the D2x
    works for WB bracketing.

    Paul Furman, Dec 18, 2005
  14. Rita Ä Berkowitz

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <43a54552$0$15795$>,
    Ole Larsen <> wrote:

    > Rita Ä Berkowitz skrev:
    > > I've been playing with my D200 today and I want to upload custom curves to
    > > it. Can curves made for the D2x be uploaded to the D200 and work properly?
    > > Or do I have to start over and make and save them specifically for the
    > > D200.
    > > Thanks.

    > AFAIK cc is of no use when shooting raw. Correct?

    Custom Curves control how the raw image is converted from 12 bit samples
    into 8 bit samples before JPGing so, no, it doen't affect the raw image.
    It just lets you get the same effect in-camera that you could instead
    get by shooting raw and then applying the same curve every time in
    Photoshop.

    As an experiment, I put the P&S curve from
    http://fotogenetic.dearingfilm.com into my D70s and the results seem to
    be quite nice. Some pics my flatmate took with it:

    http://flickr.com/photos/canllaith/72644774
    http://flickr.com/photos/canllaith/72644773
    http://flickr.com/photos/canllaith/73470970

    There is no post-processing (other than cropping) in those.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Dec 18, 2005
  15. Rita Ä Berkowitz

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    GTO <> wrote:

    > Typo in my last post. "I DON"T expect it to work properly until April '06"
    > due to FW problems that gradually will be addressed. This makes the D200 a
    > reliable camera in a few months.

    I think you're confusing them with Canon.

    --
    Jeremy |

    Jeremy Nixon, Dec 18, 2005
  16. Rita Ä Berkowitz

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    Paul Furman <> wrote:

    > Correct, it only takes one picture. I didn't realize that. But still
    > that is kind of a silly feature if the WB really is so important, the WB
    > bracketing should take multiple exposures. I'm still curious how the D2x
    > works for WB bracketing.

    Multiple JPEGs from the same shot, not available with RAW.

    --
    Jeremy |

    Jeremy Nixon, Dec 18, 2005
  17. Rita Ä Berkowitz

    LuvLatins Guest

    Totally enjoying my beta testing

    LuvLatins, Nov 30, 2006
  18. Rita Ä Berkowitz

    LuvLatins Guest

    Hmmm Beta testing, Not working Until April 06, Reliable Camera, Much
    more expensive etc etc. Do you even own one ? Better yet, do you
    work for Canon LMAO

    LuvLatins, Nov 30, 2006
  19. Rita Ä Berkowitz

    LuvLatins Guest

    Hehehhe see I KNEW he worked for CANON (Huge Grin)

    LuvLatins, Nov 30, 2006
  20. Rita Ä Berkowitz

    LuvLatins Guest

    Give up Rita, he works for Canon :) :) :)

    LuvLatins, Nov 30, 2006