    taken indoors. I want the camera to be as automatic as possible without
    having to modify many of the settings, as the Fotogenic cc is named "point
    and shoot".
    Billy, May 7, 2005

  2. > I want the camera to be as automatic as possible without having to modify
    > many of the settings, as the Fotogenic cc is named "point and shoot".

    Question a bit of topic, but: why did you buy D70 if you wanted camera be
    automatic as much as posible? Whole point of having SLR, whatever analog or
    digital, is to have full control over image. For 'automatic' photos there
    are point and shot cameras. To be honest it suprises me.

    Regards,

    K.Polak
    Krystian Polak, May 7, 2005

  3. Billy

    Roy Guest

    "Billy" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone have a preferred one? My goal was to reduce the dark images
    > produced by the camera. However, when I'm in P mode, I get all blurry
    > images using the latest version of the Fotogenic point and shoot cc. It's
    > strange though, because the flash never shoots while in this mode. Most of
    > the shots were taken indoors. I want the camera to be as automatic as
    > possible without having to modify many of the settings, as the Fotogenic
    > cc is named "point and shoot".

    The Custom Curves will not over-ride the settings on the Main Dial.

    If you want the Camera to behave like a P & S then set it to Auto, and the
    Flash will pop up whenever the camera thinks it is needed.

    In "P" for Program the Flash will only come up when you press the Flash
    Button.

    The Curve you are talking about will probably give the sort of pictures you
    would get if you were using a P & S Camera. I would expect higher levels of
    Saturation, Brightness and Contrast, than the default settings.

    Roy G
    Roy, May 7, 2005
  4. Billy

    Billy Guest

    Thanks, that helped. One thing about the EV, is it set to 0 by default
    settings in P mode? I think I may have changed it, just want to be sure.

    Billy, May 7, 2005
  5. Billy

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Krystian Polak" <> writes:
    > Question a bit of topic, but: why did you buy D70 if you wanted
    > camera be automatic as much as posible? Whole point of having SLR,
    > whatever analog or digital, is to have full control over image.

    Not at all, some successful SLR's like the Nikon EM didn't even let
    you set the shutter speed. Reasons for using a D70 could include
    cleaner images (large sensor), interchangeable lenses (long
    telephotos, fast normals, etc), wireless flash automation, etc. Being
    able to purposely set the wrong exposure would normally be pretty far
    down the list.
    Paul Rubin, May 7, 2005
  6. Billy

    Sheldon Guest

    "Billy" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks, that helped. One thing about the EV, is it set to 0 by default
    > settings in P mode? I think I may have changed it, just want to be sure.

    Regardless of what mode you are in, you should see any EV changes from
    normal in the viewfinder. If you are using custom curves you should not
    really have to increase the EV value except for certain shots. Before I
    installed custom curves I left the EV at about +2/3rds to brighten up most
    shots. Now I mostly leave it alone, or shoot in RAW mode when a shot is
    critical. And yes, 0 is the default in P mode, which to most people looks a
    bit dark. When EV is set to 0 you will not see any EV settings in P mode in
    the viewfinder. That area of the viewfinder will be dark. And, if you like
    to adjust your EV settings a lot, you can transfer the settings to the front
    control wheel, so you don't have to push the EV button and turn the wheel at
    the same time. Check the menu.

    Mostly, just experiment a lot and have fun.
    Sheldon, May 7, 2005
  7. Billy

    Diane Wilson Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Thanks, that helped. One thing about the EV, is it set to 0 by default
    > settings in P mode? I think I may have changed it, just want to be sure.

    The D70 resets EV to 0 every time you turn the camera off.

    And, as noted, you can set up the menus to give you front command
    wheel control over EV. See CSM settings 10 and 14.

    Diane
    Diane Wilson, May 8, 2005
  8. Billy

    Sheldon Guest

    > The D70 resets EV to 0 every time you turn the camera off.

    Not on mine. It holds 'till I set it back to 0.
    Sheldon, May 8, 2005
  9. Billy

    Billy Guest

    What ver of firmware?

    Billy, May 8, 2005
  10. Billy

    Paul Furman Guest

    Billy wrote:

    > What ver of firmware?
    >
    > "Sheldon" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>>The D70 resets EV to 0 every time you turn the camera off.
    >>>

    >>Not on mine. It holds 'till I set it back to 0.

    Mine does not reset. I'm on one version old firmware since I can't
    update with a microdrive but that was not listed as a change... though
    it may be?

    --
    Paul Furman
    http://www.edgehill.net/1
    Paul Furman, May 8, 2005
  11. Billy

    Sheldon Guest

    "Billy" <> wrote in message
    > What ver of firmware?

    B 1.03 It's whatever the latest is that's available now. Not the new one
    to be released later this month. I just tried it again and the EV stuck
    after I turned the camera off and back on.
    Sheldon, May 9, 2005
  12. Billy

    Billy Guest

    "Sheldon" <> wrote in message

    > "Billy" <> wrote in message
    >> What ver of firmware?

    > B 1.03 It's whatever the latest is that's available now. Not the new one
    > to be released later this month. I just tried it again and the EV stuck
    > after I turned the camera off and back on.

    Interesting. I'm on B 1.03 too. How quickly do you turn it back on? Perhaps
    there is some internal memory flush lag?
    Billy, May 9, 2005
  13. Billy

    Paul Furman Guest

    Billy wrote:

    > "Sheldon" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Billy" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>What ver of firmware?

    >>B 1.03 It's whatever the latest is that's available now. Not the new one
    >>to be released later this month. I just tried it again and the EV stuck
    >>after I turned the camera off and back on.
    >>

    > Interesting. I'm on B 1.03 too. How quickly do you turn it back on? Perhaps
    > there is some internal memory flush lag?

    Sheldon & I both have it set so the front dial adjusts exposure
    compensation (not the default). That might behave differently.

    Paul Furman, May 9, 2005
  14. Billy

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sun, 08 May 2005 20:55:02 -0700, in rec.photo.digital Paul Furman
    <> wrote:

    >Billy wrote:
    >
    >> "Sheldon" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Billy" <> wrote in message

    >>>B 1.03 It's whatever the latest is that's available now. Not the new one
    >>>to be released later this month. I just tried it again and the EV stuck
    >>>after I turned the camera off and back on.
    >>>

    >> Interesting. I'm on B 1.03 too. How quickly do you turn it back on? Perhaps
    >> there is some internal memory flush lag?

    >Sheldon & I both have it set so the front dial adjusts exposure
    >compensation (not the default). That might behave differently.

    That's not it I'm still on B 1.02 and use the default dial setup for
    exposure comp.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Ruf, May 9, 2005