Custom barebones computer with financing available?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Evan Platt, Jan 5, 2007.

  1. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    My home PC died. Either MoBo or CPU. It's a AMD Athlon 2700, so memory
    (DDR 2700) likely won't work on any current computer). Brand new video
    card.

    Basically I'm looking for a company that custom does systems and
    finances (my house was just robbed, and luckily everything was
    recovered, but I'm out $300 to replace the window the bastards broke
    to get in, $200 to have the house rekeyed, etc), so putitng out $400+
    isn't an option.

    I'd like a barebones system - MoBo, CPU, RAM. I don't need a video
    card, a OS, Microsoft Works, speakers, keyboard, mouse, etc.

    I know it's 'free' at Dell, Compaq, etc, but you really are paying for
    it.

    So is there a place in the US anyone knows that does this?

    Thanks. :)

    Evan Platt, Jan 5, 2007

  2. Evan Platt

    philo Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > My home PC died. Either MoBo or CPU. It's a AMD Athlon 2700, so memory
    > (DDR 2700) likely won't work on any current computer). Brand new video
    > card.
    >
    > Basically I'm looking for a company that custom does systems and
    > finances (my house was just robbed, and luckily everything was
    > recovered, but I'm out $300 to replace the window the bastards broke
    > to get in, $200 to have the house rekeyed, etc), so putitng out $400+
    > isn't an option.
    >
    > I'd like a barebones system - MoBo, CPU, RAM. I don't need a video
    > card, a OS, Microsoft Works, speakers, keyboard, mouse, etc.

    Suggestion:

    Since someone *broke* into your house...you can save the $200 on getting it
    re-keyed.

    with the $200 you saved you could purchases a similar mobo/cpu combination
    on ebay...

    fix your present machine and determine what it was that actually failed...

    then sell the working part you don't need

    philo, Jan 5, 2007

  3. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 15:19:39 -0600, "philo" <> wrote:

    >Since someone *broke* into your house...you can save the $200 on getting it
    >re-keyed.
    >
    >with the $200 you saved you could purchases a similar mobo/cpu combination
    >on ebay...
    >
    >fix your present machine and determine what it was that actually failed...
    >
    >then sell the working part you don't need

    Too late.

    Needed to do it anyway.. I just bought the house, and meant to get it
    rekeyed anyway (don't know how many keys were out there anyway).

    And 2 interior doors were flakey - one was falling apart, the other
    one I didn't have keys to.

    So - all 3 exterior doors had different keys. So locksmith took 2 of
    the exterior door handles and put them on the 2 interior doors, so now
    2 interior doors work properly, and lock. And now all 3 outside doors
    are keyed the same with a new key (so someone MAY have keys, but only
    to an inside door.

    I did mention copies of all my keys were also stolen too, no? (Yes,
    also recovered, but who knows if copies were made?) So not a bad time
    to rekey, just not convenient financially.

    Well, not sure what failed, but I have narrowed it down to MoBo and or
    CPU, so replacing a AMD Athlon 2700 CPU or MoBo isn't really a option,
    no?

    Evan Platt, Jan 5, 2007
  4. Evan Platt

    philo Guest

    > I did mention copies of all my keys were also stolen too, no? (Yes,
    > also recovered, but who knows if copies were made?) So not a bad time
    > to rekey, just not convenient financially.

    I suppose that if they took the keys...it was a good idea to re-key.

    > Well, not sure what failed, but I have narrowed it down to MoBo and or
    > CPU, so replacing a AMD Athlon 2700 CPU or MoBo isn't really a option,
    > no?

    Well if you could find an identical (or close) mobo/ cpu combination on
    ebay...
    it would be an inexpensive repair...

    Then, once you get the thing working...you could try the cpu from your old
    board
    in your "new" machine to see if it was good...

    Of course a whole new machine is not that much money...
    but I know you spent all your spare cash

    philo, Jan 5, 2007
  5. Evan Platt

    Reid Decker Guest

    If you just want a tower, they are cheap at yard sales, at least in NE
    Fl. I buy one just about every weekend. I usually pay 5 or 7 bucks. It's
    my hobby.

    Reid Decker, Jan 6, 2007
  6. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 00:23:41 -0500, "Reid Decker"
    <> wrote:

    > If you just want a tower, they are cheap at yard sales, at least in NE
    >Fl. I buy one just about every weekend. I usually pay 5 or 7 bucks. It's
    >my hobby.

    I need a case, a MoBo, CPU, and memory.

    Evan Platt, Jan 6, 2007
  7. Evan Platt

    philo Guest

    "Reid Decker" <> wrote in message
    > If you just want a tower, they are cheap at yard sales, at least in

    NE
    > Fl. I buy one just about every weekend. I usually pay 5 or 7 bucks. It's
    > my hobby.

    Yep I have the same hobby...and find hundreds of discarded machines in my
    city.

    Fix them up and donate them to a non-profit orginization that i do volunteer
    work for.

    Some of them are even p-IV's and most of them only need minimal work
    to get going again.

    My best find was a *new* P-IV that was about half built. They guy must have
    given up
    and thrown it out.
    At first I thought it was one that was stripped down...but *none* of the
    slot covers in the back
    had even been punched out.

    As a matter of fact...it's the machine I'm using right now!

    philo, Jan 6, 2007