Curves - Making the cut

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Nov 13, 2012.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    tony cooper, Nov 13, 2012

  2. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 08:11:14 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-11-13 07:39:50 -0800, tony cooper <> said:
    >
    >> Finding "Curves" was not all that difficult, but choosing the three to
    >> submit is. This one's been cut but may be as good as the one's kept:
    >>
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Salvage-Yard/i-xVwN57b/0/X2/2012-11-11-67-X2.jpg

    >Nice
    >>

    >Lincoln!

    1930 2-door Lincoln Cabriolet.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Nov 13, 2012

  3. On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 09:58:52 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-11-13 08:55:53 -0800, tony cooper <> said:
    >
    >> On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 08:11:14 -0800, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >Nice
    >
    >Lincoln!
    >
    >1930
    >>>>

    >> 2-door Lincoln Cabriolet.

    >Nice.
    >Here is a 1934 Lincoln KB Brunn Victoria.
    >< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DNC5668-Ew.jpg >

    Nice photos, thanks.

    Shame about what looks like an add on chain on the 1930 Lincoln spare;
    seems out of place?

    Polly the Parrott, Nov 13, 2012
  4. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 05:05:13 +1100, Polly the Parrott
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 09:58:52 -0800, Savageduck
    ><savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On 2012-11-13 08:55:53 -0800, tony cooper <> said:

    >>Nice
    >>
    >>Lincoln!
    >>
    >>1930
    >>>>>
    >>> 2-door Lincoln Cabriolet.

    >>Nice.
    >>Here is a 1934 Lincoln KB Brunn Victoria.
    >>< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DNC5668-Ew.jpg >

    >Nice photos, thanks.
    >
    >Shame about what looks like an add on chain on the 1930 Lincoln spare;
    >seems out of place?

    The rear-view mirrors were mounted on the fender-mounted spare tires
    on many cars of this era. The top image here is the Lincoln's mirror,
    and the bottom image is a LaSalle showing their mounting system.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nbtup9adjv5lnwe/mirrors.jpg

    These photos were taken Sunday at the Winter Park FL Concours
    D'Elegance. It's a great show for classic automobile enthusiasts, but
    a terrible show for photographers. The older classic cars are in a
    park area that has a lot of trees, so the light is very dappled sun
    and shadow.

    The crowds are immense, so getting a clear shot of any car is a
    problem. This is a joke shot I took for a friend that was going to
    go, but was afraid the crowds would block all shots. He was right.
    The green bits are the same Lincoln my other photo.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/o66z9dhz77axysq/2012-11-11-66.jpg

    For the original photo I posted here, I cropped it to emphasize that
    curve of the fender. All I could do at this show was photograph small
    areas of a vehicle.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Nov 13, 2012
  5. On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:11:22 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-11-13 10:05:13 -0800, Polly the Parrott
    ><> said:
    >
    >> On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 09:58:52 -0800, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >Nice
    >
    >Lincoln!
    >
    >1930
    >
    >2-door

    >>> Nice.
    >>> Here is a 1934 Lincoln KB Brunn Victoria.
    >>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DNC5668-Ew.jpg >

    >> Nice photos, thanks.
    >>
    >> Shame about what looks like an add on chain on the 1930 Lincoln spare;
    >> seems out of place?

    >I agree. The chain does not look original or period restoration.
    >
    >Most of the 1926-36 Lincolns I have shot have a wing mirror mounted on
    >the spare with a leather strap.
    >Here is a 1930 Lincoln Town Sedan showing the mirror and strap;
    >< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DNC5634-Ew.jpg >
    >< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DNC5634-ECw.jpg >

    That looks better!

    Must have been very inconvenient if the tyre had to be changed!

    Polly the Parrott, Nov 13, 2012
  6. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:11:22 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-11-13 10:05:13 -0800, Polly the Parrott
    ><> said:
    >
    >> On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 09:58:52 -0800, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >Nice
    >
    >Lincoln!
    >
    >1930
    >
    >2-door

    >>> Nice.
    >>> Here is a 1934 Lincoln KB Brunn Victoria.
    >>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DNC5668-Ew.jpg >

    >> Nice photos, thanks.
    >>
    >> Shame about what looks like an add on chain on the 1930 Lincoln spare;
    >> seems out of place?

    >I agree. The chain does not look original or period restoration.

    I really don't know if the chain was used on that particular year and
    model. However, this is a vehicle entered in the Concours D'Elegance.
    I think that it is a requirement for entry that all restoration be
    authentic if the vehicle is to be judged.

    The fittings on the mirror would determine if a leather strap or a
    chain could be used. If it's an authentic mirror, and a chair fits,
    then I have to assume that the chain was authentic for the model.

    Me, I just take photographs.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Nov 13, 2012
  7. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    PeterN, Nov 13, 2012
  8. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 16:31:21 -0500, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >On 2012.11.13 10:39 , tony cooper wrote:
    >> Finding "Curves" was not all that difficult, but choosing the three to
    >> submit is. This one's been cut but may be as good as the one's kept:
    >>
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Salvage-Yard/i-xVwN57b/0/X2/2012-11-11-67-X2.jpg

    >The lime green comes out cartoonish looking.

    Hey...I'm a photographer, not a paint and body man. That's exactly
    the look the actual vehicle had.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Nov 13, 2012
  9. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 14:23:44 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-11-13 12:46:13 -0800, tony cooper <> said:
    >
    >> On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:11:22 -0800, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >Nice
    >
    >Lincoln!
    >
    >1930
    >
    >2-door
    >
    >Lincoln

    >>> I agree. The chain does not look original or period restoration.

    >> I really don't know if the chain was used on that particular year and
    >> model. However, this is a vehicle entered in the Concours D'Elegance.
    >> I think that it is a requirement for entry that all restoration be
    >> authentic if the vehicle is to be judged.
    >>
    >> The fittings on the mirror would determine if a leather strap or a
    >> chain could be used. If it's an authentic mirror, and a chair fits,
    >> then I have to assume that the chain was authentic for the model.
    >>
    >> Me, I just take photographs.

    >Most Concours D'Elegance rules are not standard, but vary by committee,
    >but for the most part are so similar it makes little difference. Pebble
    >Beach and Amelia Island are probably the two most rigorous US
    >committees. I can't speak for the Winter Park event.
    >Generally you are going to be looking at three groups at a Concours,
    >"Original unrestored", "Original restored", & "Frame up restoration".
    >The judges and committees will have different levels of tolerance for
    >each category. Usually the first two require original equipment, or
    >optional original equipment available at the time of original sale. If
    >the spare tire mirror mount chain on your car was an original option
    >(something I am not aware of, but a Concours judge specializing in the
    >Lincoln Marque certainly would be) it would comply.
    >Many "Frame up" restorations are able to meet the "Original restored"
    >category provided original parts and/or options are used. These cars
    >can be dinged points if fabricated or aftermarket replacement parts are
    >used.
    >
    >That said, your 1930 Lincoln looks to be a nice car. The LaSalle or
    >"Poor man's Cadillac" are also impressive cars. We have a local 1934
    >Cadillac LaSalle around here that is a daily runner. Great car.
    >
    >< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DSC2356-Ew.jpg >
    >< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/37-Lasalle-w.jpg >

    I wish I was able to predict the questions when I take a photograph so
    I could ask the owner. My eye was on the vehicle as a photographic
    subject. The idea of a fender being a curve had hit me earlier in the
    day, but the cars with the best fender curves (A Bugatti and a Jag
    XK-120) were not good photographic subjects. The Bugatti was black,
    highly reflective and positioned such that my circular polarizer had
    no effect. The Jag was white, out on the street, and a blow-out
    nightmare. A few others were rejected for hubcap reflection problems.

    The Lincoln was positioned OK for the section I wanted, out of shadow
    on that side, and those popsicle green spokes promised some drama. It
    never occurred to me to ask the owner if the chain was authentic.

    Logic tells me it is. Who would fabricate a chain when a leather
    strap is easier to make? A chain would resist the elements better
    than leather. Anyone who puts money in a restoration like this would
    naturally choose authentic parts if the authentic part is easy to find
    or duplicate. A leather strap certainly is.

    Does it make any difference, though? To me, it's the curve, the
    colors, and the recurring pattern of circles.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Nov 14, 2012
  10. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/13/2012 7:25 PM, tony cooper wrote:

    > Does it make any difference, though? To me, it's the curve, the
    > colors, and the recurring pattern of circles.

    Most of that statement would apply to a woman, as well.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Nov 14, 2012
  11. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/13/2012 8:28 PM, Rich wrote:
    > tony cooper <> wrote in
    >
    >> Finding "Curves" was not all that difficult, but choosing the three to
    >> submit is. This one's been cut but may be as good as the one's kept:
    >>
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Salvage-Yard/i-xVwN57b/0/X2/2012-11
    >> -11-67-X2.jpg
    >>

    > That's interesting.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/58334557/original

    You did a nice job with that image.

    I was poking around your site, and think you have some nice images.
    Regarding your animals, I wish you had made tighter crops, as you did
    with the gull. Also, I would have tried to highlight the eyes and face.
    Try to tone down some of the body hot spots and darken the background,
    where appropriate. Shooting in bright sunlight can be a real bear.
    Please keep showing your work.

    BTW

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Nov 14, 2012
  12. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 21:24:35 -0500, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 11/13/2012 8:28 PM, Rich wrote:
    >> tony cooper <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Finding "Curves" was not all that difficult, but choosing the three to
    >>> submit is. This one's been cut but may be as good as the one's kept:
    >>>
    >>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Salvage-Yard/i-xVwN57b/0/X2/2012-11
    >>> -11-67-X2.jpg
    >>>

    >> That's interesting.
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/58334557/original
    >>

    >You did a nice job with that image.

    Charles what's-his-face makes fun of my comments about cropping, but -
    to me - what you leave in and what you take out is as important as
    finding the subject.

    This image of Rich's, and a few other of his architectural shots, are
    stronger because of the crop. In my opinion, the crop can tell viewer
    what the image is all about. The camera can only frame within the
    restrictions of the native image size. The photographer takes over
    from there.

    I tried to do this with the shot of the Lincoln.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Nov 14, 2012
  13. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/13/2012 9:34 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 21:24:35 -0500, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 11/13/2012 8:28 PM, Rich wrote:
    >>> tony cooper <> wrote in

    >>> That's interesting.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/58334557/original
    >>>

    >> You did a nice job with that image.
    >>

    > Charles what's-his-face makes fun of my comments about cropping, but -
    > to me - what you leave in and what you take out is as important as
    > finding the subject.
    >
    > This image of Rich's, and a few other of his architectural shots, are
    > stronger because of the crop. In my opinion, the crop can tell viewer
    > what the image is all about. The camera can only frame within the
    > restrictions of the native image size. The photographer takes over
    > from there.
    >
    > I tried to do this with the shot of the Lincoln.

    Many photographers make the mistake of trying to show the subject in
    context. As a result, the beauty of the capture gets lost in the detail.
    Quite often, I enlarge an so I can work on the detail, and I see a crop
    as much stronger.
    Yes! in art, less is quite often more.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Nov 14, 2012
  14. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 20:14:03 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-11-13 07:39:50 -0800, tony cooper <> said:
    >
    >> Finding "Curves" was not all that difficult, but choosing the three to
    >> submit is. This one's been cut but may be as good as the one's kept:
    >>
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Salvage-Yard/i-xVwN57b/0/X2/2012-11-11-67-X2.jpg

    >BTW:
    >>

    >Here is one of my automotive shots which didn't make the cut.
    >
    >This is shot of exhaust headers from an Offenhauser tuned,1958 Chevy
    >261 "Straight Six" in streetable "Rat Rod" of a much earlier mixed
    >heritage.
    >
    >< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DNC_4200-E-2b.jpg >

    Maybe this will be the SI of the close-ins.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Nov 14, 2012
  15. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/13/2012 11:35 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-11-13 20:17:16 -0800, tony cooper <> said:
    >
    >> On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 20:14:03 -0800, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    > BTW:
    >
    > Here
    >>>>
    >>> is one of my automotive shots which didn't make the cut.
    >>>
    >>> This is shot of exhaust headers from an Offenhauser tuned,1958 Chevy
    >>> 261 "Straight Six" in streetable "Rat Rod" of a much earlier mixed
    >>> heritage.
    >>>
    >>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/DNC_4200-E-2b.jpg >

    >> Maybe this will be the SI of the close-ins.

    > It could well be. I have gone to the automotive and architectural wells
    > and have three shots which show less than the whole.

    Not when you see one of my submissions.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Nov 14, 2012
  16. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/13/2012 11:55 PM, Rich wrote:
    > PeterN <> wrote in news:50a300ea$0$15580
    > $-secrets.com:
    >
    >> On 11/13/2012 8:28 PM, Rich wrote:
    >>> tony cooper <> wrote in

    > 11
    >>>>

    >>> That's interesting.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/58334557/original
    >>>

    >> You did a nice job with that image.
    >>
    >> I was poking around your site, and think you have some nice images.
    >> Regarding your animals, I wish you had made tighter crops, as you did
    >> with the gull. Also, I would have tried to highlight the eyes and face.
    >> Try to tone down some of the body hot spots and darken the background,
    >> where appropriate. Shooting in bright sunlight can be a real bear.
    >> Please keep showing your work.
    >>
    >> BTW
    >>

    > Thanks, the gull was shot very close with a 350mm mirror lens (Tamron)
    > and a Pentax APS so it was tight.

    Two years ago a took my Nikon 500 mirror out of retirement. But was not
    happy with the results. I will probably try it on an FX.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Nov 14, 2012
  17. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/14/2012 3:42 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 10:39:50 -0500, tony cooper
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Finding "Curves" was not all that difficult, but choosing the three to
    >> submit is. This one's been cut but may be as good as the one's kept:
    >>
    >> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Salvage-Yard/i-xVwN57b/0/X2/2012-11-11-67-X2.jpg

    > Today I tried to visit an open-air art exhibition which I thought
    > would provide examples suitable for the shoot-in.
    >
    > I got there this morning - dammit - just in time to run in to a solar
    > eclipse!
    >
    > I tried again this afternoon only to find it was blowing like hell and
    > raining to boot.
    >
    > Better luck tomorrow.

    Wind will fit the mandate perfectly. It can turn straight lines into
    curve. I am trying for curves in unfamiliar places.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Nov 14, 2012
  18. tony cooper

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <2012111314234434195-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
    savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...

    > On 2012-11-13 12:46:13 -0800, tony cooper <> said:
    >
    > > On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:11:22 -0800, Savageduck
    > > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    > Nice
    >
    > Lincoln!
    >
    > 1930
    >
    > 2-door
    >
    > Lincoln

    > >> I agree. The chain does not look original or period restoration.

    > > I really don't know if the chain was used on that particular year and
    > > model. However, this is a vehicle entered in the Concours D'Elegance.
    > > I think that it is a requirement for entry that all restoration be
    > > authentic if the vehicle is to be judged.
    > >
    > > The fittings on the mirror would determine if a leather strap or a
    > > chain could be used. If it's an authentic mirror, and a chair fits,
    > > then I have to assume that the chain was authentic for the model.
    > >
    > > Me, I just take photographs.

    > Most Concours D'Elegance rules are not standard, but vary by committee,
    > but for the most part are so similar it makes little difference. Pebble
    > Beach and Amelia Island are probably the two most rigorous US
    > committees.

    Wait a minute, there's a concourse held on Amelia Island now?!?!?!?!?!
    I grew up there and the only automotive event of any significance was
    the SCCA race at the airport. Little mill and fishing town where the
    black and white high schools were still in the process of being merged.
    I guess it's been gentrified beyond all recognition.

    J. Clarke, Nov 15, 2012
  19. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 16:46:39 -0500, "J. Clarke"
    <> wrote:

    >In article <2012111314234434195-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
    >savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...
    >>
    >> On 2012-11-13 12:46:13 -0800, tony cooper <> said:

    >> Nice
    >>
    >> Lincoln!
    >>
    >> 1930
    >>
    >> 2-door
    >>
    >> Lincoln

    >> > I really don't know if the chain was used on that particular year and
    >> > model. However, this is a vehicle entered in the Concours D'Elegance.
    >> > I think that it is a requirement for entry that all restoration be
    >> > authentic if the vehicle is to be judged.
    >> >
    >> > The fittings on the mirror would determine if a leather strap or a
    >> > chain could be used. If it's an authentic mirror, and a chair fits,
    >> > then I have to assume that the chain was authentic for the model.
    >> >
    >> > Me, I just take photographs.

    >> Most Concours D'Elegance rules are not standard, but vary by committee,
    >> but for the most part are so similar it makes little difference. Pebble
    >> Beach and Amelia Island are probably the two most rigorous US
    >> committees.

    >Wait a minute, there's a concourse held on Amelia Island now?!?!?!?!?!

    Oh, yeah. It's a big one. Great for photographers because the cars
    are spread out in an open area.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Nov 15, 2012
  20. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/17/2012 1:23 AM, Rich wrote:
    > PeterN <> wrote in news:50a3aea3$0$15635
    > $-secrets.com:
    >
    >> On 11/13/2012 11:55 PM, Rich wrote:
    >>> PeterN <> wrote in news:50a300ea$0$15580
    >>> $-secrets.com:

    > kept:

    > xVwN57b/0/X2/2012-
    >>> 11

    > face.

    > background,

    >>> Thanks, the gull was shot very close with a 350mm mirror lens (Tamron)
    >>> and a Pentax APS so it was tight.
    >>>

    >> Two years ago a took my Nikon 500 mirror out of retirement. But was not
    >> happy with the results. I will probably try it on an FX.
    >>

    > If the blur donuts bother you, if you avoid situations with specular
    > highlights, you generally won't see them. It's not easy to do,
    > especially since people tend to use slow lenses when the sun is out which
    > like lights at night, tend to create specular hightlights.

    My images weren't crispy sharp. It could be the lens, it could be the
    sensor, or it could be me. I was using a tripod. Since I was not happy
    when I used the lens on film, it is me or the lens.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Nov 17, 2012