    Any ideas?

    Thanks
    BP

    berksposter, Oct 3, 2004

  2. berksposter

    LiGhTnInG Guest

    "berksposter" <> wrote in message
    news:NeR7d.229$...
    > Hi, when I use my computer, quite often the cursor moves up and to the

    left
    > of the screen, heading for the topleft corner, by itself, it doesn't move
    > very fast, sometimes it moves to the top of the screen then slowly along

    the
    > top edge to the left corner or sometimes it moves diagonally up there.
    >
    > If I move my mouse it moves normally. I thought it might be a dirty

    optical
    > sensor so i blew/cleaned it out, which seemed to help a bit.
    >
    > Does anyone know what could be causing this, I have run a virus scan and
    > adaware and spybot and they don't show anything.
    >
    > Its not much of a problem, I'd just like to make it stop.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    > BP

    Dell Laptops are renowned for this. it's a palmrest issue.

    What pc is it? Is it a dell? Is it a laptop?

    LiGhTnInG, Oct 3, 2004

  3. On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 11:19:09 +0000, berksposter wrote:

    > Hi, when I use my computer, quite often the cursor moves up and to the
    > left of the screen, heading for the topleft corner, by itself, it doesn't
    > move very fast, sometimes it moves to the top of the screen then slowly
    > along the top edge to the left corner or sometimes it moves diagonally up
    > there.
    >
    > If I move my mouse it moves normally. I thought it might be a dirty
    > optical sensor so i blew/cleaned it out, which seemed to help a bit.
    >
    > Does anyone know what could be causing this, I have run a virus scan and
    > adaware and spybot and they don't show anything.
    >
    > Its not much of a problem, I'd just like to make it stop.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    > BP

    Try a thorough clean. I have this problem with my trackball every so
    often, it is always fixed after a real thorough clean job.

    Willem van der Berg, Oct 3, 2004
  4. berksposter

    berksposter Guest

    I built the comp myself, not a Dell or anything.
    It's been fine til recently.

    BP

    "LiGhTnInG"
    <samholt2710@++++++++++++removeallofthis+++++++++++++hotmail.com> wrote in
    message news:...

    berksposter, Oct 3, 2004
  5. berksposter

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 13:46:20 +0200, Willem van der Berg
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 11:19:09 +0000, berksposter wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, when I use my computer, quite often the cursor moves up and to the
    >> left of the screen, heading for the topleft corner, by itself, it doesn't
    >> move very fast, sometimes it moves to the top of the screen then slowly
    >> along the top edge to the left corner or sometimes it moves diagonally up
    >> there.
    >>
    >> If I move my mouse it moves normally. I thought it might be a dirty
    >> optical sensor so i blew/cleaned it out, which seemed to help a bit.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know what could be causing this, I have run a virus scan and
    >> adaware and spybot and they don't show anything.
    >>
    >> Its not much of a problem, I'd just like to make it stop.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> BP

    >Try a thorough clean. I have this problem with my trackball every so
    >often, it is always fixed after a real thorough clean job.

    I like my optical mousy, no dust problem or cleaning needed.
    joevan

    joevan, Oct 3, 2004
  6. berksposter

    foolinyu Guest

    Some ideas:

    Try a different mouse?
    Did you installed the drivers that came with the motherboard, check the BIOS
    and any new releases on its website?
    Do the mouse troubleshooting thing in Device Manager?
    Check Device Manager for conflicts? Update or rollback drivers?
    Remove mouse driver and let Windows detect it on the next boot?
    Let Windows automatically detect (Start>Help and Support>Windows Update) for
    new hardware drivers?
    Restore your system to a point when your mouse was working correctly?

    foolinyu, Oct 3, 2004
  7. berksposter

    dk Guest

    > Hi, when I use my computer, quite often the cursor moves up and to the

    left
    > of the screen, heading for the topleft corner, by itself, it doesn't move
    > very fast, sometimes it moves to the top of the screen then slowly along

    the
    > top edge to the left corner or sometimes it moves diagonally up there.
    >
    > If I move my mouse it moves normally. I thought it might be a dirty

    optical
    > sensor so i blew/cleaned it out, which seemed to help a bit.
    >
    > Does anyone know what could be causing this, I have run a virus scan and
    > adaware and spybot and they don't show anything.
    >
    > Its not much of a problem, I'd just like to make it stop.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    > BP

    Is it by chance a cordless mouse?. When mine needs recharged the same thing
    happens.

    dk, Oct 3, 2004
  8. berksposter

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| Some ideas:
    >|
    >| Try a different mouse?
    >| Did you installed the drivers that came with the motherboard, check
    >| the BIOS and any new releases on its website?
    >| Do the mouse troubleshooting thing in Device Manager?
    >| Check Device Manager for conflicts? Update or rollback drivers?
    >| Remove mouse driver and let Windows detect it on the next boot?
    >| Let Windows automatically detect (Start>Help and Support>Windows
    >| Update) for new hardware drivers?
    >| Restore your system to a point when your mouse was working correctly?

    If it's not cordless, then definately try a different mouse. I've seen them
    do things very similary if not identical to the OPs problem on mice where
    the wires are getting frayed inside the cable at the point where the cable
    exits the mouse body. It's a high-stress area, and sometimes the wires begin
    to break/short out there.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Oct 3, 2004
  9. In article <NeR7d.229$>, berksposter says...

    > Hi, when I use my computer, quite often the cursor moves up and to the left
    > of the screen, heading for the topleft corner, by itself, it doesn't move
    > very fast, sometimes it moves to the top of the screen then slowly along the
    > top edge to the left corner or sometimes it moves diagonally up there.

    > If I move my mouse it moves normally. I thought it might be a dirty optical
    > sensor so i blew/cleaned it out, which seemed to help a bit.

    > Does anyone know what could be causing this, I have run a virus scan and
    > adaware and spybot and they don't show anything.

    > Its not much of a problem, I'd just like to make it stop.

    > Any ideas?

    Disconnect the MS Sidewinder Dual-Strike when you aren't using it.

    --
    Norman
    ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

    Norman Miller, Oct 3, 2004
  10. berksposter wrote:
    > Hi, when I use my computer, quite often the cursor moves up and to the left
    > of the screen, heading for the topleft corner, by itself, it doesn't move
    > very fast, sometimes it moves to the top of the screen then slowly along the
    > top edge to the left corner or sometimes it moves diagonally up there.
    >
    > If I move my mouse it moves normally. I thought it might be a dirty optical
    > sensor so i blew/cleaned it out, which seemed to help a bit.
    >
    > Does anyone know what could be causing this, I have run a virus scan and
    > adaware and spybot and they don't show anything.
    >
    > Its not much of a problem, I'd just like to make it stop.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    > BP

    Pretty common problem optical mice, namely the cheaper brands.

    Try a darker surface or a Padded mousepad(foam) rather than a flat paer
    thin or no mouse pad. Its shiney surfaces that tend to cause this.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A9_Chris_=AE?=, Oct 3, 2004
  11. berksposter

    PuppyKatt Guest

    :
    : If I move my mouse it moves normally. I thought it might be a dirty
    optical
    : sensor so i blew/cleaned it out, which seemed to help a bit.
    :
    : Does anyone know what could be causing this, I have run a virus scan
    and
    : adaware and spybot and they don't show anything.
    :
    : Its not much of a problem, I'd just like to make it stop.
    :
    : Any ideas?
    :
    : Thanks
    : BP
    :
    I had the same problem with several different types and brands of mice.
    These worked fine for a while, then became erratic by jumping all over
    the place and clicking stuff open at random. I ended up buying a
    "True-Touch" optical mouse, designed for XP, and I have had no problems
    since. Make sure that the mouse is not only compatible with your
    Operating System (which you did not mention), but also Designed For your
    operating system.

    PuppyKatt, Oct 3, 2004
  12. On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 14:52:58 +0000, joevan wrote:
    > I like my optical mousy, no dust problem or cleaning needed. joevan

    True, but you get RSI. I don`t :) That`s worth some dust. I think there`s trackballs that are
    optical now too, not sure how that works though. I`ve also got a tablet, no dust problems
    there either.

    Regards,
    Willem

    Willem van der Berg, Oct 3, 2004
  13. berksposter

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 14:52:58 +0000, joevan wrote:
    >| > I like my optical mousy, no dust problem or cleaning needed. joevan
    >|
    >| True, but you get RSI. I don`t :) That`s worth some dust. I think
    >| there`s trackballs that are optical now too, not sure how that works
    >| though. I`ve also got a tablet, no dust problems there either.
    >|
    >| Regards,
    >| Willem

    You're possibly just as much at risk for RSI with your trackball as those of
    us with mice...
    http://eeshop.unl.edu/rsi.html

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Oct 3, 2004
  14. berksposter

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 15:58:43 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >>| True, but you get RSI. I don`t :) That`s worth some dust. I think
    >>| there`s trackballs that are optical now too, not sure how that works
    >>| though. I`ve also got a tablet, no dust problems there either.
    >>|
    >>| Regards,
    >>| Willem

    >You're possibly just as much at risk for RSI with your trackball as those of
    >us with mice...
    >http://eeshop.unl.edu/rsi.html

    That's a good page for information about potential problems.
    I noticed that I tend to do things right by not doing some of the bad
    things about using a mouse. I go lightly and use the keyboard a good
    bit too.
    Thanks for the link.
    joevan

    joevan, Oct 4, 2004
  15. berksposter

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| >>|
    >| >>|

    >| >You're possibly just as much at risk for RSI with your trackball as
    >| >those of us with mice...
    >| >http://eeshop.unl.edu/rsi.html
    >|
    >| That's a good page for information about potential problems.
    >| I noticed that I tend to do things right by not doing some of the bad
    >| things about using a mouse. I go lightly and use the keyboard a good
    >| bit too.
    >| Thanks for the link.
    >| joevan

    You bet.

    I too do better with the mouse than most, except of course when I'm touching
    up photos or drawing in my CAD program. Even then, I try to get back to the
    keyboard as much as I can for the shortcuts. Having started computing back
    in the pre mouse days (read "TRS-80 Model I" <g>) I learned to do everything
    from the keyboard...the mouse was hard to get used to. Now, my laptop is
    just that - in my lap - as much as possible. Really makes the wrist position
    work better!

    I had to dig up info on that for my boss - he's now wearing a wrist support,
    although I think he's refusing to see a doctor. He slouches, his chair is
    broken, he had no support for his wrist when he used the mouse. Plus a week
    after his wrist started acting up, he severly sprained his ankle...he looks
    like death warmed over <g>

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Oct 4, 2004
  16. berksposter

    Morgan Pugh Guest

    On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 11:19:09 GMT, "berksposter"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi, when I use my computer, quite often the cursor moves up and to the left
    >of the screen, heading for the topleft corner, by itself, it doesn't move
    >very fast, sometimes it moves to the top of the screen then slowly along the
    >top edge to the left corner or sometimes it moves diagonally up there.
    >
    >If I move my mouse it moves normally. I thought it might be a dirty optical
    >sensor so i blew/cleaned it out, which seemed to help a bit.
    >
    >Does anyone know what could be causing this, I have run a virus scan and
    >adaware and spybot and they don't show anything.
    >
    >Its not much of a problem, I'd just like to make it stop.
    >
    >Any ideas?
    >
    >Thanks
    >BP

    Have you tried using another mouse? If it is fine with another mouse
    than you can bee pretty sure it is your current mouse that is causing
    the problems.
    --
    Morgan Pugh

    Email (ROT13):
    Web: http://mpugh.co.uk

    PGP Key at http://mpugh.co.uk/pgp.asc

    Morgan Pugh, Oct 4, 2004
  17. berksposter

    dwacon Guest

    > Hi, when I use my computer, quite often the cursor moves up and to the

    left
    > of the screen, heading for the topleft corner, by itself, it doesn't move
    > very fast, sometimes it moves to the top of the screen then slowly along

    the
    > top edge to the left corner or sometimes it moves diagonally up there.
    >
    > If I move my mouse it moves normally. I thought it might be a dirty

    optical
    > sensor so i blew/cleaned it out, which seemed to help a bit.
    >
    > Does anyone know what could be causing this, I have run a virus scan and
    > adaware and spybot and they don't show anything.
    >
    > Its not much of a problem, I'd just like to make it stop.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Your PC is haunted. Bwaaaahaaahaaa...

    --
    The Kama Sutra Collection
    http://tinyurl.com/62hnc

    dwacon, Oct 4, 2004
  18. On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 15:58:43 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:

    >>| True, but you get RSI. I don`t :) That`s worth some dust. I think
    >>| there`s trackballs that are optical now too, not sure how that works
    >>| though. I`ve also got a tablet, no dust problems there either.
    >>|
    >>| Regards,
    >>| Willem

    > You're possibly just as much at risk for RSI with your trackball as those
    > of us with mice...
    > http://eeshop.unl.edu/rsi.html

    Thanks for the page, there`s always a few things you didn`t know.
    Actually, I have used (good quality, but still) mouse for a long time.
    Because I do lots of computing, at some point I started getting early RSI
    related symptoms. Luckily I decided my health was more important than
    whatever I was doing. So I limited my computer work at the time, looked
    around for solutions. Because I am left handed, I have found a really
    interesting solution:

    1) Left from my keyboard is a Wacom tablet + pen. I switch from right
    handed trackballing to left handed `penning` every now and then. Great for
    drawing programs too of course, but that`s for me an added bonus, not the
    actual point.
    2) Keyboard, I also use a lot more shortcuts. Got a better keyboard, watch
    what I`m doing with position etc.
    3) Right from the keyboard is my Marble Mouse (trackball). Unlike the
    thumb-operated trackballs (which give you RSI from another type) this one
    is easy to get used to and a much better solution than a mouse.
    4) A cordless mouse for when the trackball doesn`t suffice. Only in games,
    which I don`t play often.
    5) Large desk :)

    Anyway, just an `aside` :)

    Willem

    Willem van der Berg, Oct 4, 2004
  19. berksposter

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| >>|
    >| >>|

    >| > You're possibly just as much at risk for RSI with your trackball
    >| > as those of us with mice...
    >| > http://eeshop.unl.edu/rsi.html
    >|
    >| Thanks for the page, there`s always a few things you didn`t know.
    >| Actually, I have used (good quality, but still) mouse for a long
    >| time. Because I do lots of computing, at some point I started
    >| getting early RSI related symptoms. Luckily I decided my health was
    >| more important than whatever I was doing. So I limited my computer
    >| work at the time, looked around for solutions. Because I am left
    >| handed, I have found a really interesting solution:
    >|
    >| 1) Left from my keyboard is a Wacom tablet + pen. I switch from right
    >| handed trackballing to left handed `penning` every now and then.
    >| Great for drawing programs too of course, but that`s for me an added
    >| bonus, not the actual point.
    >| 2) Keyboard, I also use a lot more shortcuts. Got a better keyboard,
    >| watch what I`m doing with position etc.
    >| 3) Right from the keyboard is my Marble Mouse (trackball). Unlike the
    >| thumb-operated trackballs (which give you RSI from another type)
    >| this one is easy to get used to and a much better solution than a
    >| mouse. 4) A cordless mouse for when the trackball doesn`t suffice.
    >| Only in games, which I don`t play often.
    >| 5) Large desk :)
    >|
    >| Anyway, just an `aside` :)
    >|
    >| Willem

    I think you've got the right idea - keep the tools handy to do whatever the
    current job needs, don't get locked into any one unit. I've never been happy
    with the thumb type trackball either, since I broke my thumb when I was
    younger. But the marble mouse is good. The large desk isn't an option for
    me...small office...but I certainly don't lock myself into any work habits
    that would cause RSI <g>. The long term problems aren't worth it.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Oct 5, 2004
  20. berksposter

    yadanar

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    cursor moving problem?

    hi all who are facing with the cursor moving problem

    i had a same problem like u.it is not becox of virus or spyware.but i found out some solution about this problem from a website.so i just tried it and it worked.i was so happy and wanna share it to all who are facing with such a problem.it is easy ,just dowload the touch pad driver and restart ur com.everything will b ok ...

    ah..i cant post the link here .dont know how to to.well go to fixya.com and find the solution #4 posted by ahando.

    yadanar, Mar 30, 2009