    standalone DVD recorder from a VCR. But will the disks play in the new
    format Blu-ray or HD players? All info I've run across says "yes." Any
    truth? Or am I wasting my time and money?

    Hugh Doherty, May 24, 2006

  2. Hugh Doherty

    kaydigi Guest

    <hdoherty@NO SPAMns.sympatico.ca (Hugh Doherty)> wrote in message
    news:sK_cg.12385$...
    >I am currently transferring my large VHS collection to DVD+R disks via a
    > standalone DVD recorder from a VCR. But will the disks play in the new
    > format Blu-ray or HD players? All info I've run across says "yes." Any
    > truth? Or am I wasting my time and money?

    YES

    kaydigi, May 24, 2006

  3. Hugh Doherty

    Guest

    it's been announced by the makers of both formats that the new machines
    will be backwards compatible -- your old DVDs will play on the new
    machines.

    John Harkness

    , May 24, 2006
  4. Hugh Doherty

    Hugh Doherty Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >it's been announced by the makers of both formats that the new machines
    >will be backwards compatible -- your old DVDs will play on the new
    >machines.
    >
    >John Harkness

    Many thanks to you and kaydigi for the reassurance. I'll keep going; only
    130 to go!!!any bets I'll discover I don't really want to keep a lot of
    them.

    Cheers, Hugh

    Hugh Doherty, May 24, 2006
  5. Hugh Doherty

    Sean O'Hara Guest

    In the Year of the Dog, the Great and Powerful Hugh Doherty declared:
    > I am currently transferring my large VHS collection to DVD+R disks via a
    > standalone DVD recorder from a VCR. But will the disks play in the new
    > format Blu-ray or HD players? All info I've run across says "yes." Any
    > truth? Or am I wasting my time and money?

    Yes, though watching VHS-quality video on a HiDef set is rather like
    drinking Schlitz from a crystal wine glass.

    --
    Sean O'Hara | http://diogenes-sinope.blogspot.com
    Since his first name is Sean, and since I can't be bothered to do

    Sean O'Hara, May 26, 2006
  6. Hugh Doherty

    unisellers Guest

    Sean O'Hara wrote:
    > In the Year of the Dog, the Great and Powerful Hugh Doherty declared:
    > > I am currently transferring my large VHS collection to DVD+R disks via a
    > > standalone DVD recorder from a VCR. But will the disks play in the new
    > > format Blu-ray or HD players? All info I've run across says "yes." Any
    > > truth? Or am I wasting my time and money?
    > >

    > Yes, though watching VHS-quality video on a HiDef set is rather like
    > drinking Schlitz from a crystal wine glass.
    >

    > --
    > Sean O'Hara | http://diogenes-sinope.blogspot.com
    > Since his first name is Sean, and since I can't be bothered to do
    > the necessary googling, I am going to assume knows what he's talking
    > about.
    > -John Derbyshire

    Any Blu-ray / VHS combo players ? I still have a lot of video tapes.

    --------
    Inventory Lists - Collections - Large Lots
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/inventorylists/

    unisellers, May 29, 2006