    Chris Mayhew Guest

    How long is it taking people to have ADSL enabled on new phone lines ?
    I have been quoted 10 to 15 working days by ihug.
    Chris Mayhew, Mar 7, 2006

  2. "Chris Mayhew" <> wrote in message
    news:440d3e77$...
    > How long is it taking people to have ADSL enabled on new phone lines ? I
    > have been quoted 10 to 15 working days by ihug.

    This is correct..

    Thanks
    Craig
    Craig Whitmore, Mar 7, 2006

  3. Chris Mayhew

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <440d3e77$>, says...
    > How long is it taking people to have ADSL enabled on new phone lines ?
    > I have been quoted 10 to 15 working days by ihug.

    Just setup a client at nu premises today on ADSL - they were told 9 days
    by Ihug (for Telecom to flick the switch) - it took 5.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Mar 7, 2006
  4. Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <440d3e77$>, says...
    >
    >>How long is it taking people to have ADSL enabled on new phone lines ?
    >> I have been quoted 10 to 15 working days by ihug.

    > Just setup a client at nu premises today on ADSL - they were told 9 days
    > by Ihug (for Telecom to flick the switch) - it took 5.

    Why should it take longer to change UBS speeds (up to a month)? Surely
    less needs to be done. Telecom's billing date seems irrelevant if it's
    not going on the phone bill.
    I'm A Trampoline, Mar 7, 2006
  5. Chris Mayhew wrote:
    > How long is it taking people to have ADSL enabled on new phone lines ?
    > I have been quoted 10 to 15 working days by ihug.

    That seems to be standard and has been for a while now, around 14 days or 10
    working days. Telecom set the time-frame and haven't changed it in the last
    two years at least TTBOMK. Sometimes you get lucky and it gets done earlier.
    --
    Shaun (~misfit~)
    Shaun \(Was: ~misfit~\), Mar 7, 2006
  6. Chris Mayhew

    joe_90 Guest

    Chris Mayhew wrote:
    > How long is it taking people to have ADSL enabled on new phone lines ?
    > I have been quoted 10 to 15 working days by ihug.

    I went through this last month with Slingshot and they quoted 7 to 10
    working days. Couldn't say exactly how long it took Telecom because I
    was not told when the order was submitted, but overall their estimate
    ended up being about right. It would probably have been quicker only
    Telecom bounced the initial order - it only took 3 days after that.
    joe_90, Mar 7, 2006
  7. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    joe_90 wrote:
    > Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >
    >> How long is it taking people to have ADSL enabled on new phone lines ?
    >> I have been quoted 10 to 15 working days by ihug.

    > I went through this last month with Slingshot and they quoted 7 to 10
    > working days. Couldn't say exactly how long it took Telecom because I
    > was not told when the order was submitted, but overall their estimate
    > ended up being about right. It would probably have been quicker only
    > Telecom bounced the initial order - it only took 3 days after that.

    How have you found Slingshot so far ? - was considering Slingshot
    Chris Mayhew, Mar 7, 2006
  8. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Shaun (Was: ~misfit~) wrote:
    > Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >
    >>How long is it taking people to have ADSL enabled on new phone lines ?
    >> I have been quoted 10 to 15 working days by ihug.

    > That seems to be standard and has been for a while now, around 14 days or 10
    > working days. Telecom set the time-frame and haven't changed it in the last
    > two years at least TTBOMK. Sometimes you get lucky and it gets done earlier.

    Hows your Actrix connection going ?
    Chris Mayhew, Mar 7, 2006
  9. "I'm A Trampoline" <> wrote in message
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    >> In article <440d3e77$>, says...
    >>
    >>>How long is it taking people to have ADSL enabled on new phone lines ? I
    >>>have been quoted 10 to 15 working days by ihug.

    >> Just setup a client at nu premises today on ADSL - they were told 9 days
    >> by Ihug (for Telecom to flick the switch) - it took 5.

    > Why should it take longer to change UBS speeds (up to a month)? Surely
    > less needs to be done. Telecom's billing date seems irrelevant if it's not
    > going on the phone bill.

    joins of cooperation between competitors.

    Obviously, the Service level agreement between telecom and it's ubs
    retailers is not great.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Mar 7, 2006
  10. Chris Mayhew wrote:
    > Shaun (Was: ~misfit~) wrote:
    >> Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >>
    >>> How long is it taking people to have ADSL enabled on new phone
    >>> lines ? I have been quoted 10 to 15 working days by ihug.

    >> That seems to be standard and has been for a while now, around 14
    >> days or 10 working days. Telecom set the time-frame and haven't
    >> changed it in the last two years at least TTBOMK. Sometimes you get
    >> lucky and it gets done earlier.

    > Hows your Actrix connection going ?

    Not too bad thanks. It's not lightning-fast but P2P isn't throttled during
    the day. Overall I'm pleased with it. I still have problems with the PPP
    dropping out but at least Actrix got onto Telecom for me within an hour of
    me asking them to look into it. (As opposed to Orcon who, after nearly 3
    weeks of me complaining, told me that they considered 50+ disconnects a
    month acceptable. Actrix helpdesk staff had a laugh over that).

    Unfortunately I'm still getting more PPP drop-outs than I'd like, despite
    Telecom sending a tech around to test my line, (the very next morning after
    me ringing Axtrix, less than 18 hours from the phone call to a visit, again,
    compare that to Orcon's treatment) and, finding no fault with it or my
    equipment, changing ports for me. The problem persists. I'm thinking it's
    the exchange/equipment here, when I enquired about getting a PIN put on
    tolls a while back Telecom told me that I was going through older equipment
    and that service isn't available to me.

    The Telecom tech gave me an 0800 number and a job number and told me to call
    if the problem hasn't got better in a week. It's a week tomorrow and it's no
    better. I might ring the number, however, last time I was left without
    internet for the best part of a day. Still, it'll be worth it if they can
    stop these annoying PPP drop-outs. However, I don't think they'll replace
    the DSLAM or whatever it is that's causing it. I don't know if another
    port-change will help.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun (~misfit~)
    Shaun \(Was: ~misfit~\), Mar 7, 2006
  11. Chris Mayhew

    Shane Guest

    Chris Mayhew wrote:

    > How long is it taking people to have ADSL enabled on new phone lines ?
    > I have been quoted 10 to 15 working days by ihug.

    Ive been waiting since the 11th of feb,(it appears I will get it on the 14th
    of this month)
    Although in my case (and 2 others I have spoken to with the same issue) it
    appears to be telecom at fault
    1 of those others is an Ihug user, and the other Orcon(or was it Slingshot,
    sorry wasnt paying attention)
    they also waited >30 days to get adsl put on lines
    Shane, Mar 7, 2006
  12. Chris Mayhew

    joe_90 Guest

    Chris Mayhew wrote:
    > How have you found Slingshot so far ? - was considering Slingshot

    Customer service could be better. It can take some time to get to speak
    to a real person on the phone, and email turnaround (you are forced to
    use a clumsy web based support system) is about one working day.

    They screwed up on my first invoice, and were unable to give me a
    breakdown for the figure they finally arrived at (it is actually
    slightly less than expected so I am not going to press this, although
    that decision may come back to bite me). Tracking usage and costs
    /should/ be straightforward because there is a great depth of
    information provided on their web site. However, I was a little
    concerned that the customer service operator only had access to the same
    information as me (even though I asked to speak to the accounts dept.).

    I cannot fault the 'product' (if you can call it that) and there are
    some nice little bonus features that they don't shout about. For
    example, they were really good with the transition from my previous ISP,
    giving me free (unlimited) dialup access while waiting for the ADSL
    connection to be made.

    It is early days and things should settle down to a routine from now on.
    It is inevitable that there will be a few initial frustrations, but
    assuming the billing sorts itself and I don't need to call them too
    often, I will be happy.
    joe_90, Mar 7, 2006
  13. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    joe_90 wrote:
    > Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >
    >> How have you found Slingshot so far ? - was considering Slingshot

    > Customer service could be better. It can take some time to get to speak
    > to a real person on the phone, and email turnaround (you are forced to
    > use a clumsy web based support system) is about one working day.
    >
    > They screwed up on my first invoice, and were unable to give me a
    > breakdown for the figure they finally arrived at (it is actually
    > slightly less than expected so I am not going to press this, although
    > that decision may come back to bite me). Tracking usage and costs
    > /should/ be straightforward because there is a great depth of
    > information provided on their web site. However, I was a little
    > concerned that the customer service operator only had access to the same
    > information as me (even though I asked to speak to the accounts dept.).
    >
    > I cannot fault the 'product' (if you can call it that) and there are
    > some nice little bonus features that they don't shout about. For
    > example, they were really good with the transition from my previous ISP,
    > giving me free (unlimited) dialup access while waiting for the ADSL
    > connection to be made.
    >
    > It is early days and things should settle down to a routine from now on.
    > It is inevitable that there will be a few initial frustrations, but
    > assuming the billing sorts itself and I don't need to call them too
    > often, I will be happy.

    Thanks, I signed up today, I might talk to them about the dial up while
    I wait. I was also talking to an ex telecom tech who told me there
    could be some reasons why ADSL couldn't be provided in a "day or two"
    but generally the 10 to 15 working days was a case of telecom being
    telecom.
    Chris Mayhew, Mar 8, 2006
  14. Shaun (Was: ~misfit~) wrote:
    > Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >> Shaun (Was: ~misfit~) wrote:

    >>> That seems to be standard and has been for a while now, around 14
    >>> days or 10 working days. Telecom set the time-frame and haven't
    >>> changed it in the last two years at least TTBOMK. Sometimes you get
    >>> lucky and it gets done earlier.

    >> Hows your Actrix connection going ?

    > Not too bad thanks. It's not lightning-fast but P2P isn't throttled
    > during the day. Overall I'm pleased with it. I still have problems
    > with the PPP dropping out but at least Actrix got onto Telecom for me
    > within an hour of me asking them to look into it. (As opposed to
    > Orcon who, after nearly 3 weeks of me complaining, told me that they
    > considered 50+ disconnects a month acceptable. Actrix helpdesk staff
    > had a laugh over that).
    > Unfortunately I'm still getting more PPP drop-outs than I'd like,
    > despite Telecom sending a tech around to test my line, (the very next
    > morning after me ringing Axtrix, less than 18 hours from the phone
    > call to a visit, again, compare that to Orcon's treatment) and,
    > finding no fault with it or my equipment, changing ports for me. The
    > problem persists. I'm thinking it's the exchange/equipment here,

    Just to clarify, "here" meaning this side of Pukekohe.

    Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 8, 2006
  15. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Shaun (~misfit~) wrote:

    > Just to clarify, "here" meaning this side of Pukekohe.

    Oh "that" side of Pukekohe :)
    Chris Mayhew, Mar 8, 2006
  16. Chris Mayhew

    joe_90 Guest

    Chris Mayhew wrote:
    > Thanks, I signed up today, I might talk to them about the dial up while
    > I wait. I was also talking to an ex telecom tech who told me there
    > could be some reasons why ADSL couldn't be provided in a "day or two"
    > but generally the 10 to 15 working days was a case of telecom being
    > telecom.

    Glad to hear it. I don't think you will regret choosing them, and the
    internet experience after dialup is wonderful.

    Assuming you signed up online, be aware that your application will not
    be processed until they have a guaranteed form of payment. If you opted
    for direct debit, this means they will silently wait until you return an
    authorisation form which then has been processed by your bank. The
    solution is to quote them a credit card number (it will not be charged)
    which starts the ball rolling straight away (I tripped on this one too).
    joe_90, Mar 8, 2006
  17. Chris Mayhew wrote:
    > Shaun (~misfit~) wrote:
    >

    >> Just to clarify, "here" meaning this side of Pukekohe.
    >>

    > Oh "that" side of Pukekohe :)

    Heh! Yeah, the reservation. I'm the only person of purely European descent
    in my street. I've had the dog ranger here all this week, there's a f&%king
    wolfpack stalking the streets. The ranger can never find them though, wants
    me to follow them home and take numbers. Like I'm going to do that, I might
    as well paint a target on my back and a "Burgle me" sign on my door.
    --
    Shaun (~misfit~)
    Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 8, 2006
  18. Chris Mayhew

    David Empson Guest

    Chris Mayhew <> wrote:

    > How long is it taking people to have ADSL enabled on new phone lines ?
    > I have been quoted 10 to 15 working days by ihug.

    I must have been lucky.

    New ADSL connection with Actrix (first on this phone line), ordered on
    Wed 1st March, order confirmed on Thu 2nd, supposed to be up and running
    on Sunday 5th. Was already running when I checked early afternoon on Sat
    4th. :)

    (I'm in Wellington, if that makes any difference.)

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Mar 12, 2006