    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Does it bother you that doctors call what they do a practice?
    Ed Mullen, Feb 27, 2004

  2. Ed Mullen

    A Hess Guest

    Somewhere around 2/26/04 7:28 PM, Ed Mullen typed wildly with reckless
    abandon:

    > I am simply curious and would like to ask the people who visit here
    > regularly a question.
    >
    > Do you also visit the Mozilla user support groups on secnew.netscape.com?
    >
    > Are you even aware of them?

    I am aware of them. I don't subscribe to them only because my ISP
    carries them, so, all my subscriptions are on one server.

    --
    Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood. - Marie Curie
    A Hess, Feb 27, 2004

  3. Ed Mullen

    dantu Guest

    A Hess wrote:

    > Somewhere around 2/26/04 7:28 PM, Ed Mullen typed wildly with reckless
    > abandon:
    >
    >> I am simply curious and would like to ask the people who visit here
    >> regularly a question.
    >>
    >> Do you also visit the Mozilla user support groups on
    >> secnew.netscape.com?
    >>
    >> Are you even aware of them?
    >>

    > I am aware of them. I don't subscribe to them only because my ISP
    > carries them, so, all my subscriptions are on one server.

    Heck

    Many times the people who answer questions on this group are
    Mozilla Champions, who also perform that function on secnews.

    A Hess

    Um, thats one of the advantages of Mozilla, you can simply
    open a new news account in the same profile and use the other server as
    well. You can subscribe to both new servers and have the best of both.
    Secnews is not Usenet so its only available on its own server.
    dantu, Feb 27, 2004
  4. dantu wrote:
    > A Hess wrote:
    >
    >> Somewhere around 2/26/04 7:28 PM, Ed Mullen typed wildly with reckless
    >> abandon:
    >>
    >>> I am simply curious and would like to ask the people who visit here
    >>> regularly a question.
    >>>
    >>> Do you also visit the Mozilla user support groups on
    >>> secnew.netscape.com?
    >>>
    >>> Are you even aware of them?
    >>>

    >> I am aware of them. I don't subscribe to them only because my ISP
    >> carries them, so, all my subscriptions are on one server.
    >>

    > Heck
    >
    > Many times the people who answer questions on this group are
    > Mozilla Champions, who also perform that function on secnews.
    > A Hess
    >
    > Um, thats one of the advantages of Mozilla, you can simply
    > open a new news account in the same profile and use the other server as
    > well. You can subscribe to both new servers and have the best of both.
    > Secnews is not Usenet so its only available on its own server.

    Yep, Ed, Dan, myself, for example. No problem subscribing to secnews
    groups from any ISP with Moz. Click on a link and jopin in:

    snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.mozilla.user.win32
    snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.mozilla.user.mac
    snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.mozilla.user.unix
    snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.mozilla.user.general
    snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.mozilla.firebird
    snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.mozilla.thunderbird

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Feb 27, 2004
  5. Ed Mullen

    Soz Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > I am simply curious and would like to ask the people who visit here
    > regularly a question.
    >
    > Do you also visit the Mozilla user support groups on secnew.netscape.com?
    >
    > Are you even aware of them?

    A Much better place for Mozzila Discusions is

    http://forums.mozillazine.org
    Soz, Feb 27, 2004
  6. Ed Mullen

    Tom Accuosti Guest

    In news:jzA%b.47900$,
    Leonidas Jones <> informed us:
    | dantu wrote:
    |
    | Yep, Ed, Dan, myself, for example. No problem subscribing to secnews
    | groups from any ISP with Moz. Click on a link and jopin in:
    |
    | snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.mozilla.user.win32
    | snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.mozilla.user.mac
    | snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.mozilla.user.unix
    | snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.mozilla.user.general
    | snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.mozilla.firebird
    | snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.mozilla.thunderbird

    How can I subcribe to these groups? Mozz is asking for a name and
    password for the server.

    Thanks

    Tom
    Tom Accuosti, Feb 27, 2004
  7. Ed Mullen

    A Hess Guest

    Somewhere around 2/26/04 9:07 PM, dantu typed wildly with reckless abandon:
    > A Hess wrote:
    >
    >> Somewhere around 2/26/04 7:28 PM, Ed Mullen typed wildly with reckless
    >> abandon:
    >>
    >>> I am simply curious and would like to ask the people who visit here
    >>> regularly a question.
    >>>
    >>> Do you also visit the Mozilla user support groups on
    >>> secnew.netscape.com?
    >>>
    >>> Are you even aware of them?
    >>>

    >> I am aware of them. I don't subscribe to them only because my ISP
    >> carries them, so, all my subscriptions are on one server.
    >>

    > Heck
    >
    > Many times the people who answer questions on this group are
    > Mozilla Champions, who also perform that function on secnews.
    > A Hess
    >
    > Um, thats one of the advantages of Mozilla, you can simply
    > open a new news account in the same profile and use the other server as
    > well. You can subscribe to both new servers and have the best of both.
    > Secnews is not Usenet so its only available on its own server.

    I'm very much aware of the multiple accounts ability. I just haven't
    subscribed to the secnews server because the n.p.m. groups are on my
    ISPs server.

    I just double checked to make sure, and after downloading all the
    headers from n.p.m.general, browser, etc, on secnews.netscape.com, I see
    all my posts made via my ISPs server, so there was no reason for me to
    directly suscribe to the secnews server.

    --
    Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several
    thousand things that won't work. - Thomas Alva Edison
    A Hess, Feb 27, 2004
  8. Ed Mullen

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Tom Accuosti wrote:
    > In news:jzA%b.47900$,
    > Leonidas Jones <> informed us:
    > | dantu wrote:
    > |
    > | Yep, Ed, Dan, myself, for example. No problem subscribing to secnews
    > | groups from any ISP with Moz. Click on a link and jopin in:
    > |
    > | snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.mozilla.user.win32
    > | snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.mozilla.user.mac
    > | snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.mozilla.user.unix
    > | snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.mozilla.user.general
    > | snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.mozilla.firebird
    > | snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.mozilla.thunderbird
    > |

    > How can I subcribe to these groups? Mozz is asking for a name and
    > password for the server.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Tom

    You need to have the server port set to 563 and "use secure connection
    (SSL)" selected. Right-click the secnews account, click Properties,
    click Server Settings and make the changes there.

    The links on this page - http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_news_ns.html -
    will set the port number and subscribe you in Mozilla Mail/News. If you
    are still being asked for a logon sequence, something else is wrong.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Feb 27, 2004
  9. Ed Mullen

    Ed Mullen Guest

    A Hess wrote:

    > Somewhere around 2/26/04 9:07 PM, dantu typed wildly with reckless abandon:
    >
    >>A Hess wrote:
    >>

    >>>Somewhere around 2/26/04 7:28 PM, Ed Mullen typed wildly with reckless
    >>>abandon:

    >>> I am aware of them. I don't subscribe to them only because my ISP
    >>>carries them, so, all my subscriptions are on one server.
    >>>

    >>Heck
    >>
    >> Many times the people who answer questions on this group are
    >>Mozilla Champions, who also perform that function on secnews.
    >>A Hess
    >>
    >> Um, thats one of the advantages of Mozilla, you can simply
    >>open a new news account in the same profile and use the other server as
    >>well. You can subscribe to both new servers and have the best of both.
    >>Secnews is not Usenet so its only available on its own server.

    > I'm very much aware of the multiple accounts ability. I just haven't
    > subscribed to the secnews server because the n.p.m. groups are on my
    > ISPs server.
    >
    > I just double checked to make sure, and after downloading all the
    > headers from n.p.m.general, browser, etc, on secnews.netscape.com, I see
    > all my posts made via my ISPs server, so there was no reason for me to
    > directly suscribe to the secnews server.

    The netscape.public.mozilla groups are developer groups, not end user
    support groups. They do also show up on the secure secnews server.
    However, it doesn't work the other way around: the secnews end user
    groups do NOT show up on the n.p.m server, nor the Usenet, and are not
    available via your ISP's news server.

    At least I /think/ that's the way it is!!! :-D

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Feb 27, 2004
  10. A Hess wrote:
    > Somewhere around 2/26/04 9:07 PM, dantu typed wildly with reckless abandon:
    >
    >> A Hess wrote:
    >>
    >>> Somewhere around 2/26/04 7:28 PM, Ed Mullen typed wildly with
    >>> reckless abandon:

    >>> I am aware of them. I don't subscribe to them only because my ISP
    >>> carries them, so, all my subscriptions are on one server.
    >>>

    >> Heck
    >>
    >> Many times the people who answer questions on this group are
    >> Mozilla Champions, who also perform that function on secnews.
    >> A Hess
    >>
    >> Um, thats one of the advantages of Mozilla, you can simply
    >> open a new news account in the same profile and use the other server
    >> as well. You can subscribe to both new servers and have the best of
    >> both. Secnews is not Usenet so its only available on its own server.

    > I'm very much aware of the multiple accounts ability. I just haven't
    > subscribed to the secnews server because the n.p.m. groups are on my
    > ISPs server.
    >
    > I just double checked to make sure, and after downloading all the
    > headers from n.p.m.general, browser, etc, on secnews.netscape.com, I see
    > all my posts made via my ISPs server, so there was no reason for me to
    > directly suscribe to the secnews server.

    Just FYI: The netscape.public.mozilla.* newsgroups are developer-only
    newsgroups that are part of Usenet-at-large and are not carried on the
    private (not part of Usenet) news server named secnews.netscape.com.

    The netscape.mozilla.user.* newsgroups on secnews.netscape.com are the
    "official" end-user support groups and it is not possible to access them
    using your ISP's news server.

    Is that as clear as mud? :)

    --
    There are only 10 types of people in this world:
    Those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Caffeine Junkie, Feb 27, 2004
  11. Ed Mullen

    A Hess Guest

    Somewhere around 2/27/04 11:46 AM, Caffeine Junkie typed wildly with
    reckless abandon:

    > Just FYI: The netscape.public.mozilla.* newsgroups are developer-only
    > newsgroups that are part of Usenet-at-large and are not carried on the
    > private (not part of Usenet) news server named secnews.netscape.com.
    >
    > The netscape.mozilla.user.* newsgroups on secnews.netscape.com are the
    > "official" end-user support groups and it is not possible to access them
    > using your ISP's news server.
    >
    > Is that as clear as mud? :)

    I don't see any .user.* groups on the secnews server at all. I searched
    for "user" and came up with 0. I don't have netscape.mozilla.anything. I
    even refreshed the list. I even clicked the links here:
    http://www.mozilla.org/community/user-forums.html
    Is there something I'm missing?

    I never had a need to frequent any of the secnews exclusive groups, so I
    guess that's why I never gave much thought to use it. Maybe that will
    change if I get this figured out.

    Any ideas?

    --
    There's nothing new under the sun, but there are lots of old things we
    don't know. - Ambrose Bierce
    A Hess, Feb 27, 2004
  12. A Hess wrote:

    > Somewhere around 2/27/04 11:46 AM, Caffeine Junkie typed wildly with
    > reckless abandon:
    >
    >> Just FYI: The netscape.public.mozilla.* newsgroups are developer-only
    >> newsgroups that are part of Usenet-at-large and are not carried on the
    >> private (not part of Usenet) news server named secnews.netscape.com.
    >>
    >> The netscape.mozilla.user.* newsgroups on secnews.netscape.com are the
    >> "official" end-user support groups and it is not possible to access
    >> them using your ISP's news server.
    >>
    >> Is that as clear as mud? :)
    >>

    > I don't see any .user.* groups on the secnews server at all. I searched
    > for "user" and came up with 0. I don't have netscape.mozilla.anything. I
    > even refreshed the list. I even clicked the links here:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/community/user-forums.html
    > Is there something I'm missing?
    >
    > I never had a need to frequent any of the secnews exclusive groups, so I
    > guess that's why I never gave much thought to use it. Maybe that will
    > change if I get this figured out.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Which links did you click? The groups I follow on secnews.netscape.com
    are netscape.mozilla.user.general and netscape.mozilla.user.win32. When
    you click on those links on the page you mentioned, it's supposed to
    bring up the configuration wizard and walk you through subscribing to
    the respective newsgroups.

    Maybe using Firefox/bird with Thunderbird requires more configuration
    than I'm used to since I've always used the Mozilla Suite instead.

    Anyone else have any ideas here?

    Caffeine Junkie, Feb 27, 2004
  13. Ed Mullen

    Ed Mullen Guest

    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_news_moz.html

    --
    Ed Mullen - Mozilla Champion
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Feb 27, 2004
  14. Ed Mullen

    A Hess Guest

    Somewhere around 2/27/04 1:47 PM, Caffeine Junkie typed wildly with
    reckless abandon:

    > Which links did you click? The groups I follow on secnews.netscape.com
    > are netscape.mozilla.user.general and netscape.mozilla.user.win32. When
    > you click on those links on the page you mentioned, it's supposed to
    > bring up the configuration wizard and walk you through subscribing to
    > the respective newsgroups.
    >
    > Maybe using Firefox/bird with Thunderbird requires more configuration
    > than I'm used to since I've always used the Mozilla Suite instead.

    I've got it. You need to check the "use secure connection" box in order
    to see the secure groups.

    Wow, there's a LOT of groups I've been missing out on.

    Perhaps it needs to made more clear how to reach these.I've never once
    seen details on how to get them, and I consider myself to be a little
    more advanced than the average user. How is a newbie supposed to figure
    this out? Following the links at
    http://www.mozilla.org/community/user-forums.html will apparently
    dead-end someone not willing to keep trying to figure out what's going on.

    --
    Judge not the horse by his saddle. - Chinese Proverb
    A Hess, Feb 27, 2004
  15. Ed Mullen

    A Hess Guest

    Somewhere around 2/26/04 7:28 PM, Ed Mullen typed wildly with reckless
    abandon:
    > I am simply curious and would like to ask the people who visit here
    > regularly a question.
    >
    > Do you also visit the Mozilla user support groups on secnew.netscape.com?
    >
    > Are you even aware of them?

    Well, I *thought* I was aware of them. I knew about the server, just not
    everything on it. I always only saw a few public groups on it and
    figured that was all there was.

    The official documentation never made it clear what to do to access
    everything

    --
    The masses will more easily fall victim to a big lie than a small one.
    -Adolf Hitler
    A Hess, Feb 27, 2004
  16. Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Caffeine Junkie wrote:
    >
    >>A Hess wrote:
    >>

    >>>Somewhere around 2/27/04 11:46 AM, Caffeine Junkie typed wildly with
    >>>reckless abandon:

    >>>I don't see any .user.* groups on the secnews server at all. I searched
    >>>for "user" and came up with 0. I don't have netscape.mozilla.anything. I
    >>>even refreshed the list. I even clicked the links here:
    >>>http://www.mozilla.org/community/user-forums.html
    >>>Is there something I'm missing?
    >>>
    >>>I never had a need to frequent any of the secnews exclusive groups, so I
    >>>guess that's why I never gave much thought to use it. Maybe that will
    >>>change if I get this figured out.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas?

    >>Which links did you click? The groups I follow on secnews.netscape.com
    >>are netscape.mozilla.user.general and netscape.mozilla.user.win32. When
    >>you click on those links on the page you mentioned, it's supposed to
    >>bring up the configuration wizard and walk you through subscribing to
    >>the respective newsgroups.
    >>
    >>Maybe using Firefox/bird with Thunderbird requires more configuration
    >>than I'm used to since I've always used the Mozilla Suite instead.
    >>
    >>Anyone else have any ideas here?
    >>

    > http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_news_ns.html
    > http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_news_moz.html

    Thanks, Ed.

    I see now that the links on the mozilla.org page mentioned earlier omit
    the port number, which brings up a question. Does the presence of the
    port number in the links on your page automatically enable SSL or is it
    still necessary to manually enable SSL when subscribing to secnews?

    Caffeine Junkie, Feb 27, 2004
  17. Ed Mullen

    Keith Bowes Guest

    Soz wrote:
    >>Do you also visit the Mozilla user support groups on secnew.netscape.com?
    >>
    >>Are you even aware of them?
    >>

    > A Much better place for Mozzila Discusions is
    >
    > http://forums.mozillazine.org

    LOL :)
    Keith Bowes, Feb 28, 2004
  18. Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >Do you also visit the Mozilla user support groups on secnew.netscape.com?
    >
    >Are you even aware of them?

    I found out about them inadertantly. I check them daily but have
    found them to be rather pointless, so far. If you're looking for support
    or end-user documentation, you are on your own. Mozilla, so far, seems
    very much to be a student project or some computer-club project of some
    sort but it is, at least, useable which can not be said for some others.
    Derald Martin, Feb 28, 2004
  19. Ed Mullen

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Caffeine Junkie wrote:

    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >

    >>Caffeine Junkie wrote:

    >>>Which links did you click? The groups I follow on secnews.netscape.com
    >>>are netscape.mozilla.user.general and netscape.mozilla.user.win32. When
    >>>you click on those links on the page you mentioned, it's supposed to
    >>>bring up the configuration wizard and walk you through subscribing to
    >>>the respective newsgroups.
    >>>
    >>>Maybe using Firefox/bird with Thunderbird requires more configuration
    >>>than I'm used to since I've always used the Mozilla Suite instead.
    >>>
    >>>Anyone else have any ideas here?
    >>>

    >>http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_news_ns.html
    >>http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_news_moz.html

    > Thanks, Ed.
    >
    > I see now that the links on the mozilla.org page mentioned earlier omit
    > the port number, which brings up a question. Does the presence of the
    > port number in the links on your page automatically enable SSL or is it
    > still necessary to manually enable SSL when subscribing to secnews?

    Beats the crap outta me! ;-) Seriously, I don't know. I could only
    test it by deleting all my groups and server and then clicking a link to
    see what happens. A little too much to ask of me just at this moment.
    Although! ... not too much later if I find the time and energy. ;-)

    Still, if you click on those links it will enable the actual port
    number. You might still have to go in and enable SSL, I just honestly
    don't remember at this point ... been too long!

    Still, there are lots of other people out there who will chime in and
    prove me wrong or amplify what I've said. Hang out here a leeeetle
    while and you'll see.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Feb 28, 2004
  20. Ed Mullen

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Soz wrote:

    > In article <>, says...
    >
    >>I am simply curious and would like to ask the people who visit here
    >>regularly a question.
    >>
    >>Do you also visit the Mozilla user support groups on secnew.netscape.com?
    >>
    >>Are you even aware of them?
    >>

    > A Much better place for Mozzila Discusions is
    >
    > http://forums.mozillazine.org

    Better how? Please quantify. Or at least qualify. Or at least offer
    some opinion beyond "mine's better than yours! nyah nyah!" ;-)

    Because, personally, I really don't like the Web-based forum when
    compared to newsgroups. I don't like the interface at all. I realize
    it's all a matter of personal preference. Which is why I'm asking you
    to clarify YOUR personal preference as displayed in your post here.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Feb 28, 2004