    Any ideas where else I might look, anybody?

    TIA, -Peter

    (P.S. doubly virus scanned already - no trojans detected by NAV).
    Peter Huebner, Nov 24, 2003

  2. Peter Huebner

    Enkidu Guest

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:17:56 +1300, Peter Huebner
    <> wrote:

    >I have a mail drive on my server. This drive is shared on the network so
    >the Pegasus clients from the other machines can access the mail that is
    >dropped off on the mail drive by Mercury (this way the other machines
    >can be off when Mercury retrieves and sorts the mail).
    >
    >Alas, alack, from time to time the sharename just becomes inaccessible.
    >Even from the server ('jumbo') I cannot access \\jumbo\maildrive whereas
    >I can access it just fine as 'h:'
    >
    >This is a brand-new install of XP Pro and I just don't know what the
    >heck brings on this behaviour. It seems to become inaccessible out of
    >the blue (or at least I haven't seen the patterm).
    >
    >Sygate firewall has been instructed to allow LAN traffic, and has been
    >instructed moreover to allow all the possible IP addresses on the LAN
    >interface as well.
    >
    >Any ideas where else I might look, anybody?
    >
    >TIA, -Peter
    >
    >(P.S. doubly virus scanned already - no trojans detected by NAV).

    How many connections Peter? You can only have 10 connections to XP Pro
    (or 2000 pro) before it stops. Any machine might have multiple
    connections at any one time, and usually does, so that general < 10
    machines can connect.

    If it's possible that it is this, you can confirm by opening the
    Computer Management console and accessing the Shared Folders folder.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.
    Enkidu, Nov 24, 2003

  3. In article <>,
    says...
    > How many connections Peter? You can only have 10 connections to XP Pro
    > (or 2000 pro) before it stops. Any machine might have multiple
    > connections at any one time, and usually does, so that general < 10
    > machines can connect.
    >
    > If it's possible that it is this, you can confirm by opening the
    > Computer Management console and accessing the Shared Folders folder.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    It's happened even when only the server was going, no connections on the
    LAN interface at all except for Mercury on the server itself.

    Would outgoing connections on other interfaces count against these 10?

    Until I can nail this reliably, I have reset the mail path to the
    physical maildrive - I am getting sick of endlessly looped error
    messages to postmaster ...

    Hmmm, I just wonder if dllhost.exe may have a bearing on the matter.
    I had wiped it since it got hit by a trojan on my first net connect as I
    was training up the firewall. Would the [network] use wins to maintain
    sharenames, do you think?

    regds, -Peter
    Peter Huebner, Nov 24, 2003
  4. Peter Huebner

    Enkidu Guest

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:48:19 +1300, Peter Huebner
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> How many connections Peter? You can only have 10 connections to XP Pro
    >> (or 2000 pro) before it stops. Any machine might have multiple
    >> connections at any one time, and usually does, so that general < 10
    >> machines can connect.
    >>
    >> If it's possible that it is this, you can confirm by opening the
    >> Computer Management console and accessing the Shared Folders folder.

    >It's happened even when only the server was going, no connections on the
    >LAN interface at all except for Mercury on the server itself.

    Did you check the Shared Folders folder anyway?

    >Would outgoing connections on other interfaces count against these 10?

    No, I would not have thought so.

    >Until I can nail this reliably, I have reset the mail path to the
    >physical maildrive - I am getting sick of endlessly looped error
    >messages to postmaster ...

    H: is a physical drive/partition?

    >Hmmm, I just wonder if dllhost.exe may have a bearing on the matter.
    >I had wiped it since it got hit by a trojan on my first net connect as I
    >was training up the firewall. Would the [network] use wins to maintain
    >sharenames, do you think?

    No idea. Some of them *spread* by network share, so they could
    possibly affect them. You runs Wins?

    You could probably set up a policy to log accesses to the shares and
    changes to the shares, (via the Admin tools console) and see if that
    gives you a clue.

    Enkidu, Nov 25, 2003
  5. In article <>,
    says...

    > >Until I can nail this reliably, I have reset the mail path to the
    > >physical maildrive - I am getting sick of endlessly looped error
    > >messages to postmaster ...
    > >

    > H: is a physical drive/partition?

    Yupp, it's the partition the mail resides on. I prefer to use a network
    path (share name) for mail because that gives me more flexibility w.r.t
    drive letters changing at times.

    I did have a look at shares and there was only one active for the drive
    in question.

    > >Hmmm, I just wonder if dllhost.exe may have a bearing on the matter.
    > >I had wiped it since it got hit by a trojan on my first net connect as I
    > >was training up the firewall. Would the [network] use wins to maintain
    > >sharenames, do you think?
    > >

    > No idea. Some of them *spread* by network share, so they could
    > possibly affect them. You runs Wins?

    I don't run wins. (dunno what WinXP gets up to behind my back, though).
    Since dllhost is described as refreshing browse info for the network
    and the drive periodically dropped off I thought it might have a
    bearing.

    I notice that, when I haven't accessed the mail drive for some time,
    access from the mail client is sluggish, as though it needs to be re-
    initialized or something. (I don't have harddrives turning off).

    > You could probably set up a policy to log accesses to the shares and
    > changes to the shares, (via the Admin tools console) and see if that
    > gives you a clue.

    Yes, I should probably figure out how to set up some proper logging
    there. The help files are NOT helpful. It said for instance that I could
    right click on a share and then select properties and set the number of
    permitted connections - except the properties is not on the pop up menu
    ( I used the console net command to set it to /unlimited and hope it
    will stick through the next reboot).

    thanks for the input, you've given me good directions where to start
    looking
    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Nov 25, 2003
  6. Peter Huebner

    Enkidu Guest

    On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 02:16:01 +1300, Peter Huebner
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> >
    >> >Until I can nail this reliably, I have reset the mail path to the
    >> >physical maildrive - I am getting sick of endlessly looped error
    >> >messages to postmaster ...
    >> >

    >> H: is a physical drive/partition?

    >Yupp, it's the partition the mail resides on. I prefer to use a network
    >path (share name) for mail because that gives me more flexibility w.r.t
    >drive letters changing at times.
    >
    >I did have a look at shares and there was only one active for the drive
    >in question.
    >

    >> >Hmmm, I just wonder if dllhost.exe may have a bearing on the matter.
    >> >I had wiped it since it got hit by a trojan on my first net connect as I
    >> >was training up the firewall. Would the [network] use wins to maintain
    >> >sharenames, do you think?
    >> >

    >> No idea. Some of them *spread* by network share, so they could
    >> possibly affect them. You runs Wins?

    >I don't run wins. (dunno what WinXP gets up to behind my back, though).
    >Since dllhost is described as refreshing browse info for the network
    >and the drive periodically dropped off I thought it might have a
    >bearing.
    >
    >I notice that, when I haven't accessed the mail drive for some time,
    >access from the mail client is sluggish, as though it needs to be re-
    >initialized or something. (I don't have harddrives turning off).
    >

    >> You could probably set up a policy to log accesses to the shares and
    >> changes to the shares, (via the Admin tools console) and see if that
    >> gives you a clue.

    >Yes, I should probably figure out how to set up some proper logging
    >there. The help files are NOT helpful. It said for instance that I could
    >right click on a share and then select properties and set the number of
    >permitted connections - except the properties is not on the pop up menu
    >( I used the console net command to set it to /unlimited and hope it
    >will stick through the next reboot).

    That is odd. When I right click a share, in Explorer or in the Shared
    Folders console, I can select "Properties". Are you logged on as an
    Admin user?

    >thanks for the input, you've given me good directions where to start
    >looking

    Well, the problem's not solved, but thanks, anyway.

    Enkidu, Nov 25, 2003