    day or so.

    Can anyone shed any light on this?

    Ta muchly.
    Philip SC, Sep 15, 2003

  2. Philip SC

    Philip SC Guest

    Frightfully bad form to reply to one's own post, but...

    I think I've worked out what went wrong - I had changed the printer
    properties to 'print direct to printer' rather than spooling jobs. I've
    undone it, and that seems to have returned to PC to its normal good
    behaviour.

    > (Running Windows XP Pro with all updates on a P4 2.8 CPU with 1024 Mb of

    RAM
    > and stacks of spare space on both HDDs)
    >
    > My computer has started displaying odd behaviour, most noticeable on Word
    > 2000 (which I use most) but also on other apps. The system seems to hang,
    > the cursor turns switches to an hourglass and while I can continue to type
    > (or scroll the wheel mouse), nothing happens until the hourglass returns

    > a cursor, when the keystrokes reappear on screen and everything continues

    as
    > normal, until around 10-20 seconds later when it all happens again.
    >
    > I've done nothing new to the system for the past three weeks apart from
    > applying the Windows update and this has only started happening in the

    last

    Philip SC, Sep 15, 2003

  3. Philip SC

    EGA Guest

    and so close to each other too :)

    I'd take a look into spyware. look for ad-aware from lavasoft and install
    that. Run it as often as you do manual virus scans...

    EGA, Sep 16, 2003