Curious...price check

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by XPD, Feb 9, 2006.

  1. XPD

    XPD Guest

    Just curious.... what would you be willing to pay for the following as a
    complete package....

    17" Syncmaster 793DF CRT Monitor (Less than 6 months old)
    Intel Pentium III (370) 1ghz
    Gigabyte 6VTXE Motherboard
    512MB SDRAM PC133
    128MB AGP (8x compat) 9600 Pro Raedon
    280GB HDD (2x 120gb 7200rpm 1x 40gb 7200rpm)
    Pioneer 116S DVD Reader
    LG SOHW 1673S 16x DVD+/- Dual layer Writer
    LG 4x DVD writer (think it wont write anything - reads fine)
    10/100 Realtek NIC
    Lifeview 98 TV Tuner/capture
    SBLive! Value sound card
    4 Port USB2 PCI card
    PCI IDE Controller card (2 IDE controllers)
    ATX Case wth 400W PSU

    Think thats everything

    Again, Im only curious......

    XPD, Feb 9, 2006

  2. XPD

    woooosh Guest

    "XPD" <....nz> wrote in message
    > Just curious.... what would you be willing to pay for the following as a
    > complete package....
    >
    > 17" Syncmaster 793DF CRT Monitor (Less than 6 months old)
    > Intel Pentium III (370) 1ghz
    > Gigabyte 6VTXE Motherboard
    > 512MB SDRAM PC133
    > 128MB AGP (8x compat) 9600 Pro Raedon
    > 280GB HDD (2x 120gb 7200rpm 1x 40gb 7200rpm)
    > Pioneer 116S DVD Reader
    > LG SOHW 1673S 16x DVD+/- Dual layer Writer
    > LG 4x DVD writer (think it wont write anything - reads fine)
    > 10/100 Realtek NIC
    > Lifeview 98 TV Tuner/capture
    > SBLive! Value sound card
    > 4 Port USB2 PCI card
    > PCI IDE Controller card (2 IDE controllers)
    > ATX Case wth 400W PSU
    >
    > Think thats everything
    >
    > Again, Im only curious......

    Without the monitor and the dvdreader and dvdwriter that is faulty I would
    say about $230, but it all depends on your philosophy, I compare to what I
    could buy new, I devalue the most because of how outdated and slow it is and
    then some more because it is 2ndhand bearing in mind how little these
    components cost before they were no longer made, of course some people who
    have not had a lot of experience with buying computers would not realise how
    much they depreciate in value, so I guess if you find a buyer like that you
    will get more for it. In reality I would be pushed to even pay $230 for it
    but at that cost it would not be a bad buy, just not a good one.

    woooosh, Feb 9, 2006

  3. On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 18:00:34 +1300, XPD wrote:

    > Just curious.... what would you be willing to pay for the following as a
    > complete package....
    >
    > 17" Syncmaster 793DF CRT Monitor (Less than 6 months old)
    > Intel Pentium III (370) 1ghz
    > Gigabyte 6VTXE Motherboard
    > 512MB SDRAM PC133
    > 128MB AGP (8x compat) 9600 Pro Raedon
    > 280GB HDD (2x 120gb 7200rpm 1x 40gb 7200rpm)
    > Pioneer 116S DVD Reader
    > LG SOHW 1673S 16x DVD+/- Dual layer Writer
    > LG 4x DVD writer (think it wont write anything - reads fine)
    > 10/100 Realtek NIC
    > Lifeview 98 TV Tuner/capture
    > SBLive! Value sound card
    > 4 Port USB2 PCI card
    > PCI IDE Controller card (2 IDE controllers)
    > ATX Case wth 400W PSU
    >
    > Think thats everything
    >
    > Again, Im only curious......

    Sell at a uni or polytech and some sucker will give you $500

    wogers nemesis, Feb 9, 2006
  4. XPD

    Dave Taylor Guest

    wogers nemesis <> wrote in news:cykhta0zfwpn.it77bdwu43am
    $:

    > Sell at a uni or polytech and some sucker will give you $500

    enough hardware to rip burn dvds and a decent enough card to play some 3 yr
    old games really nicely.
    NO OS.
    TV in too, if I was in Uni and did not have a tv, it could be the all in
    one wonder box. Oh, wait it probably was one of those Packard Bell media
    PCs afew years ago.

    If it all works, could be a good buy as it replaces many other devices you
    may not already have.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Feb 9, 2006
  5. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > wogers nemesis <> wrote in
    > $:
    >
    >> Sell at a uni or polytech and some sucker will give you $500
    >>

    > enough hardware to rip burn dvds and a decent enough card to play some 3
    > yr
    > old games really nicely.
    > NO OS.
    > TV in too, if I was in Uni and did not have a tv, it could be the all in
    > one wonder box. Oh, wait it probably was one of those Packard Bell media
    > PCs afew years ago.
    >
    > If it all works, could be a good buy as it replaces many other devices you
    > may not already have.

    Heh I can assure you it is no pre-built brand system.... have put this
    together over a few years and runs like new :D
    Its been the most reliable machine Ive owned so far.

    XPD, Feb 9, 2006
  6. On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 18:00:34 +1300, XPD wrote:

    > Just curious.... what would you be willing to pay for the following as a
    > complete package....
    >
    > 17" Syncmaster 793DF CRT Monitor (Less than 6 months old)

    Useful...

    > Intel Pentium III (370) 1ghz

    Old, runs hot, and rather slow by modern standards...

    > Gigabyte 6VTXE Motherboard

    Details?

    > 512MB SDRAM PC133

    Good amount of RAM. Newer type or older type of SDRAM?

    > 128MB AGP (8x compat) 9600 Pro Raedon

    More than good enough...

    > 280GB HDD (2x 120gb 7200rpm 1x 40gb 7200rpm)

    how old are the drives? What brand? Still in warranty period?

    > Pioneer 116S DVD Reader
    > LG SOHW 1673S 16x DVD+/- Dual layer Writer
    > LG 4x DVD writer (think it wont write anything - reads fine)

    Only need one of those...

    > 10/100 Realtek NIC

    Useless for gigabit LAN...

    > Lifeview 98 TV Tuner/capture

    Does it work well at full frame capture, given the speed of the CPU?

    > SBLive! Value sound card

    Cheap!

    > 4 Port USB2 PCI card

    Usefull, modern mobos have at least that number built onto the back of the
    MOBO.

    > PCI IDE Controller card (2 IDE controllers)

    Useful. But what speed? 33? 66? 133?

    > ATX Case wth 400W PSU

    Standard size? Or Midi? Will PSU work with newer CPUs such as P4s or AMDs?

    Need more info really, before giving a reasonable assessment of value.

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Adam L. Penenberg: "The next time Bill G. promises to make software that is
    so fundamentally secure that customers never have to worry about it, ask him

    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 9, 2006
  7. XPD

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 20:27:08 +1300, A Nice Cup of Tea <>
    exclaimed:

    >> Intel Pentium III (370) 1ghz

    >Old, runs hot, and rather slow by modern standards...

    It's a second hand machine. Too slow for me, but fast enough for
    many/most uses.

    >> Gigabyte 6VTXE Motherboard

    >Details?

    Google?

    >> 512MB SDRAM PC133

    >Good amount of RAM. Newer type or older type of SDRAM?

    He's stated it's PC133!

    >> 280GB HDD (2x 120gb 7200rpm 1x 40gb 7200rpm)

    >how old are the drives? What brand? Still in warranty period?

    It's a second-hand PC. These questions really don't matter.

    >> 10/100 Realtek NIC

    >Useless for gigabit LAN...

    Another stupid comment.

    >> Lifeview 98 TV Tuner/capture

    >Does it work well at full frame capture, given the speed of the CPU?

    Fair call. Although it's obvious it will. Whether it's possible to do
    anything else very well at the same time's another matter, though.

    >> SBLive! Value sound card

    >Cheap!

    Better than most onboard chips.

    >> 4 Port USB2 PCI card

    >Usefull, modern mobos have at least that number built onto the back of the
    >MOBO.

    Maybe if you'd googled the board?

    >> PCI IDE Controller card (2 IDE controllers)

    >Useful. But what speed? 33? 66? 133?

    It's on the PCI bus.

    >> ATX Case wth 400W PSU

    >Standard size? Or Midi?

    And that would change the value you placed on the machine?

    >Will PSU work with newer CPUs such as P4s or AMDs?

    It's 400w, so most people who knew anything about computers would
    assume so. And if it couldn't, who cares?

    >Need more info really, before giving a reasonable assessment of value.

    Absolutely not.

    The PC would easily fetch $500. Being in the game I wouldn't pay that,
    but many would, and it would be a very fair price.

    Obviously it's worth more than that to you, as is so often the case
    with PCs.

    Fred Dagg, Feb 9, 2006
  8. XPD

    ~misfit~ Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > Just curious.... what would you be willing to pay for the following
    > as a complete package....
    >
    > 17" Syncmaster 793DF CRT Monitor (Less than 6 months old)
    > Intel Pentium III (370) 1ghz
    > Gigabyte 6VTXE Motherboard
    > 512MB SDRAM PC133
    > 128MB AGP (8x compat) 9600 Pro Raedon
    > 280GB HDD (2x 120gb 7200rpm 1x 40gb 7200rpm)
    > Pioneer 116S DVD Reader
    > LG SOHW 1673S 16x DVD+/- Dual layer Writer

    That would actually be a LiteOn I believe?

    > LG 4x DVD writer (think it wont write anything - reads fine)
    > 10/100 Realtek NIC
    > Lifeview 98 TV Tuner/capture
    > SBLive! Value sound card
    > 4 Port USB2 PCI card
    > PCI IDE Controller card (2 IDE controllers)
    > ATX Case wth 400W PSU
    >
    > Think thats everything
    >
    > Again, Im only curious......

    I agree with the ~$500 mark. More or less depending on whom you sell it to.
    Sad really, I think I'd rather have that than a modern Dell Celeron system
    but you get a warranty with the Dell and, sadly, more power. (Less storage
    space and *extras* though).

    A 1GHz PIII is pretty damn slow when you're used to something like an
    XP2600+ unfortunately. I had one here for a while but ended up selling the
    CPU, Mobo and RAM and keeping a couple Tualtin Celerons (1.3 and 1.4)
    instead. They are faster.

    Still for an undemanding user it would be fine. With the disk space, great
    for downloading torrents and watching DivX/XviDs.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 9, 2006
  9. XPD

    woooosh Guest

    "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message

    > The PC would easily fetch $500. Being in the game I wouldn't pay that,
    > but many would, and it would be a very fair price.

    You must be joking, for about $500 you can buy a brand new machine minus
    monitor, bottom of the range but still far more powerful than this pc and
    brand new too, 2ndhand it would be worth $300 and plus monitor still less
    than $500 so how you can think that this old machine can be worth more is
    puzzling.

    woooosh, Feb 10, 2006
  10. XPD

    woooosh Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > I agree with the ~$500 mark. More or less depending on whom you sell it

    to.

    Depending a lot on who you sell it to, someone with no idea and who is
    careless with their money would pay this but then you could say that about
    anything so giving a valuation based on this is not really very helpful I
    don't think.

    woooosh, Feb 10, 2006
  11. XPD

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:02:21 +1300, "woooosh" <wooosh@splat>
    exclaimed:

    >"Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> The PC would easily fetch $500. Being in the game I wouldn't pay that,
    >> but many would, and it would be a very fair price.
    >>

    >You must be joking, for about $500 you can buy a brand new machine minus
    >monitor, bottom of the range but still far more powerful than this pc and
    >brand new too, 2ndhand it would be worth $300 and plus monitor still less
    >than $500 so how you can think that this old machine can be worth more is
    >puzzling.

    $500 would be a fair price.

    Remember that there really are 2 markets - those in "the know", and
    those who buy normal retail.

    I wouldn't pay $500 for it. But many, many people would, and they
    wouldn't be being ripped off.

    Fred Dagg, Feb 10, 2006
  12. XPD

    ~misfit~ Guest

    woooosh wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> I agree with the ~$500 mark. More or less depending on whom you sell
    >> it to.

    > Depending a lot on who you sell it to, someone with no idea and who is
    > careless with their money would pay this but then you could say that
    > about anything so giving a valuation based on this is not really very
    > helpful I don't think.

    You don't think? Sounds about right.

    I was giving an approximate value on what I would ask for it from someone
    with a little knowledge of PCs and their worth. Then I added "More or less
    depending on who you sell it to". I don't see how your comment adds anything
    different or constructive to this.

    Your previous inane comment suggesting $230 as a reasonable price is just
    plain wrong. You mention in there about things being obsolete. However, the
    SOHW 1673S is still available new (although there is a newer model out) as
    are 120GB HDDs. For two 120GB drives and the DVD writer you are already
    looking at more than your proposed figure of $230 if you bought them new
    (And they could be nearly new and under warranty still for all you know).
    The graphics card is decent, they sell on Trademe for >$100. Methinks you
    talk shit.

    If you have such a machine that you want to sell for that price I will
    gladly take it off you hands and triple my money on Trademe. Please let me
    know when you are selling one.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 10, 2006
  13. XPD

    woooosh Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > woooosh wrote:
    > > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > >> I agree with the ~$500 mark. More or less depending on whom you sell
    > >> it to.

    > > Depending a lot on who you sell it to, someone with no idea and who is
    > > careless with their money would pay this but then you could say that
    > > about anything so giving a valuation based on this is not really very
    > > helpful I don't think.

    > You don't think? Sounds about right.
    >
    > I was giving an approximate value on what I would ask for it from someone
    > with a little knowledge of PCs and their worth. Then I added "More or less
    > depending on who you sell it to". I don't see how your comment adds

    anything
    > different or constructive to this.
    >
    > Your previous inane comment suggesting $230 as a reasonable price is just
    > plain wrong. You mention in there about things being obsolete. However,

    the
    > SOHW 1673S is still available new (although there is a newer model out) as
    > are 120GB HDDs. For two 120GB drives and the DVD writer you are already
    > looking at more than your proposed figure of $230 if you bought them new
    > (And they could be nearly new and under warranty still for all you know).
    > The graphics card is decent, they sell on Trademe for >$100. Methinks you
    > talk shit.
    >
    > If you have such a machine that you want to sell for that price I will
    > gladly take it off you hands and triple my money on Trademe. Please let me
    > know when you are selling one.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    I will revise my price a little as I did skim over the hdd info a little
    when considering the price, I think for the harddrives and dvdwriter they
    are almost worth $200, so minus the monitor i would value this system at
    about $320. It really is very subjective though, there are parts of this
    system that are very good like the harddrives and dvdwriter but as a
    complete system it still is not worth that much due to the motherboard and
    cpu, it doesn't matter how good these other things are if the thing that
    gives the computer all it's power is old and not worth much compared to a
    modern machine. I think if this person sold things separately he would do a
    lot better because the harddrives and dvdwriter are current technology and
    useful on a modern machine where as most other parts of his machine are
    obsolete and therefore devalue the system as a whole and the rest of the
    system would be a good upgrade for someone with an even older computer. The
    fact is you can buy a new pc minus monitor for $500 so how you can pay $500
    for a system that is 2ndhand that only is better in the harddrive capacity
    and videocard is beyond me, of course at the end of the day the market will
    pay what it pays, what I think this system is worth does not mean a hell of
    a lot as the pc business is very fast changing and technical, both these
    factors mean that a lot of people do not realise the theoretical value of a
    2ndhand computer.
    Some people in this thread may of course just be protecting their own
    interests as they sell 2ndhand computer stuff themselves and want to justify
    their own prices.
    From what i have seen on trademe it is not worth buying a 2ndhand system
    compared to what you pay for a new one unless you only want to spend a very
    small amount of money on a very outdated computer but if you look at
    anything made in the last 4 years you will probably have to pay way to much
    compared to a new system, not good value for money.

    woooosh, Feb 10, 2006
  14. XPD

    woooosh Guest

    "woooosh" <wooosh@splat> wrote in message news:...

> [...]

    of
    > a lot as the pc business is very fast changing and technical, both these
    > factors mean that a lot of people do not realise the theoretical value of

    > 2ndhand computer.
    > Some people in this thread may of course just be protecting their own
    > interests as they sell 2ndhand computer stuff themselves and want to

    justify
    > their own prices.
    > From what i have seen on trademe it is not worth buying a 2ndhand system
    > compared to what you pay for a new one unless you only want to spend a

    very
    > small amount of money on a very outdated computer but if you look at
    > anything made in the last 4 years you will probably have to pay way to

    much
    > compared to a new system, not good value for money.

    I presume that the $500 valuation was still referring to the system minus
    it's monitor as that is what was talked about originally in this thread I
    think although it may have got confused by now.

    woooosh, Feb 10, 2006
  15. XPD

    ~misfit~ Guest

    woooosh wrote:
    > "woooosh" <wooosh@splat> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    >>> You don't think? Sounds about right.
    >>>
    >>> I was giving an approximate value on what I would ask for it from
    >>> someone with a little knowledge of PCs and their worth. Then I
    >>> added "More or less depending on who you sell it to". I don't see
    >>> how your comment adds anything different or constructive to this.
    >>>
    >>> Your previous inane comment suggesting $230 as a reasonable price
    >>> is just plain wrong. You mention in there about things being
    >>> obsolete. However, the SOHW 1673S is still available new (although
    >>> there is a newer model out) as are 120GB HDDs. For two 120GB drives
    >>> and the DVD writer you are already looking at more than your
    >>> proposed figure of $230 if you bought them new (And they could be
    >>> nearly new and under warranty still for all you know). The graphics
    >>> card is decent, they sell on Trademe for >$100. Methinks you talk
    >>> shit.
    >>>
    >>> If you have such a machine that you want to sell for that price I
    >>> will gladly take it off you hands and triple my money on Trademe.
    >>> Please let me know when you are selling one.
    >>> --
    >>> ~misfit~
    >>>

    >> I will revise my price a little as I did skim over the hdd info a
    >> little when considering the price, I think for the harddrives and
    >> dvdwriter they are almost worth $200, so minus the monitor i would
    >> value this system at about $320. It really is very subjective
    >> though, there are parts of this system that are very good like the
    >> harddrives and dvdwriter but as a complete system it still is not
    >> worth that much due to the motherboard and cpu, it doesn't matter
    >> how good these other things are if the thing that gives the computer
    >> all it's power is old and not worth much compared to a modern
    >> machine. I think if this person sold things separately he would do a
    >> lot better because the harddrives and dvdwriter are current
    >> technology and useful on a modern machine where as most other parts
    >> of his machine are obsolete and therefore devalue the system as a
    >> whole and the rest of the system would be a good upgrade for someone
    >> with an even older computer. The fact is you can buy a new pc minus
    >> monitor for $500 so how you can pay $500 for a system that is
    >> 2ndhand that only is better in the harddrive capacity and videocard
    >> is beyond me,

    And DVD writer. I don't think many of those budget "box only" systems have a
    dual-layer DVD writer included. At least not in my experience. Also, a lot
    of them don't have an AGP slot and have *really* dodgey on-board graphics.
    The graphics card that the OP has is pretty reasonable. Most of them only
    have 256MB of RAM as well, albeit DDR RAM.

    > of course at the end of the day the market will pay
    >> what it pays, what I think this system is worth does not mean a hell
    >> of a lot as the pc business is very fast changing and technical,
    >> both these factors mean that a lot of people do not realise the
    >> theoretical value of a 2ndhand computer.
    >> Some people in this thread may of course just be protecting their own
    >> interests as they sell 2ndhand computer stuff themselves and want to
    >> justify their own prices.
    >> From what i have seen on trademe it is not worth buying a 2ndhand
    >> system compared to what you pay for a new one unless you only want
    >> to spend a very small amount of money on a very outdated computer
    >> but if you look at anything made in the last 4 years you will
    >> probably have to pay way to much compared to a new system, not good
    >> value for money.
    >>

    > I presume that the $500 valuation was still referring to the system
    > minus it's monitor as that is what was talked about originally in
    > this thread I think although it may have got confused by now.

    No, as the OP listed a monitor, my estimate included the monitor. He asked
    for an estimate for the system, not parts of it. An estimate for parts would
    be a whole different ball-game.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 10, 2006
  16. On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 01:28:22 +1300, Fred Dagg wrote:

    >>Good amount of RAM. Newer type or older type of SDRAM?
    >>

    > He's stated it's PC133!

    That's stating speed. Nothing more about it.

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 10, 2006
  17. On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 01:28:22 +1300, Fred Dagg wrote:

    >>Will PSU work with newer CPUs such as P4s or AMDs?

    > It's 400w, so most people who knew anything about computers would
    > assume so. And if it couldn't, who cares?

    Not all 400w PSUs can produce enough current for P4s.

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 10, 2006
  18. On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:02:21 +1300, woooosh wrote:

    > "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> The PC would easily fetch $500. Being in the game I wouldn't pay that,
    >> but many would, and it would be a very fair price.
    >>

    > You must be joking, for about $500 you can buy a brand new machine minus
    > monitor, bottom of the range but still far more powerful than this pc and
    > brand new too, 2ndhand it would be worth $300 and plus monitor still less
    > than $500 so how you can think that this old machine can be worth more is
    > puzzling.

    I saw a celeron 700 for sale today. It was in a shop window. Price tag,
    IIRC, was around the $800 mark.

    CBS on Featherston St.

    Total rip-off, IMHO.

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 10, 2006
  19. On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:47:04 +1300, Fred Dagg wrote:

    > I wouldn't pay $500 for it. But many, many people would, and they
    > wouldn't be being ripped off.

    Just because they're used to paying extortionate prices, does't mean to
    say they are not being ripped off!!

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 10, 2006
  20. XPD

    ~misfit~ Guest

    A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 01:28:22 +1300, Fred Dagg wrote:
    >
    >>> Will PSU work with newer CPUs such as P4s or AMDs?

    >> It's 400w, so most people who knew anything about computers would
    >> assume so. And if it couldn't, who cares?

    > Not all 400w PSUs can produce enough current for P4s.

    The point isn't whether it produces enough current, it's whether it has the
    four-pin mobo connector needed for most P4 / later Athlon boards.

    I'm amazed that two peole who post in a comp NG posted without realising
    that.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 10, 2006