    that kind of functionality?

    thanks,
    Alex
    Alexander Fischer, Sep 19, 2004

  2. Alexander Fischer

    .brian. Guest

    Alexander Fischer wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I would like to configure my Firefox the following way: when I enter
    > something into the address bar, and hit Alt-Enter, the terms entered
    > should be searched for at Google. When I hit Shift-Enter, it should be
    > searched in Google groups. For Ctrl-Shift-Enter, I'd like to install a
    > dictionary. Is there a tweak or extension that would allow me to add
    > that kind of functionality?

    Seems like a lot of extra work when you can just assign bookmarks to the
    various pages, and assign them keywords. There are already a few
    saved in your Bookmarks under "Quick Searches". I don't know if you
    have a specific requirement for using keyboard shortcuts. If so, this
    is not your answer. But if not, try out keywords.

    For instance:

    Open Firefox and in the address bar type: "dict mozilla" (without the
    quotes) and then hit enter. That should bring up the dictionary.com
    website with Mozilla as the word.

    You can easily make your own using "keywords" and bookmarks.

    Go to whatever 'search' page you want, lets say Google Groups, then type
    something in the box (we'll say FOO for this example). You want to type
    something you can easily identify later. When the new page comes up
    with your search, bookmark it.

    Your bookmarked location should be:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=FOO&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google Search

    Then open the Bookmark Manager and find your new bookmark... click
    properties. In the "Location" area of the properties, find the term you
    searched for (in this example we'd look for "FOO"). Highlight whatever
    your word was, and replace it with "%s". No quotes.

    The new location is now:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%s&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google Search

    Notice the "%s" ------------------^^

    Then in the "Keyword" field, you are going to type in a keyword for this
    search. For this example I'll say "gg" for Google Groups, but you can
    use whatever keyword you want.

    Then you are finished. Now when you open Firefox you can type "gg"
    followed by whatever you want to search Google Groups for.

    An example is: "gg FOO BAR BAZ BAT" -- that would search Google Groups
    for the words "FOO BAR BAZ BAT".

    You can use any special search features as well; any word you would
    normally type in the search field will still work. If I want to search
    a specific site using Google for instance, I type in:

    "google site:mozilla.org bookmark keywords" in the address bar. That
    would tell Google to search Mozilla.org for the words "bookmark
    keywords". With the example I post, you could type: "gg group:alt.test
    foo bar" to search a specific group.

    The possibilities are endless. I use keywords for a ton of bookmarks.
    Wikipedia, Hyperdictionary, Google, Mozillazine, etc. You can also use
    keywords for regualar bookmarks too--they don't need to be search related.

    It might seem like a lot of work or confusing at first, but once you do
    it, you'll see how easy it is. I routinely find myself trying to use
    keywords with IE at work... which doesn't work so well ;-)

    Hopefully you can use this feature to accomplish your searches.

    --
    Brian

    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm
    .brian., Sep 19, 2004

  3. ".brian." <user@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    > > should be searched for at Google. When I hit Shift-Enter, it should be
    > > searched in Google groups. For Ctrl-Shift-Enter, I'd like to install a
    > > dictionary. Is there a tweak or extension that would allow me to add
    > > that kind of functionality?

    Brian,
    thanks a lot for your detailed answer. Sorry for not making entirely
    clear why I was looking for the keyboard shortcuts.

    Actually, I already do have the configuration you suggested. However,
    I notice that, if I want something to be searched for REALLY quickly,
    I still prefer Crazy Browser (where I just type "Search Term"
    Shift-Enter), against Firefox (where I have to type the extra 'google'
    and the space).

    May seem silly, but in the end, there IS the function "domain
    completion" in Firefox, so I think my search for a way to configure
    this is at least somewhat reasonable.
    Any more suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Alex
    Alexander Fischer, Sep 20, 2004
  4. Alexander Fischer

    .brian. Guest

    On 9/20/2004 3:20 AM Alexander Fischer wrote:
    > Actually, I already do have the configuration you suggested. However,
    > I notice that, if I want something to be searched for REALLY quickly,
    > I still prefer Crazy Browser (where I just type "Search Term"
    > Shift-Enter), against Firefox (where I have to type the extra 'google'
    > and the space).

    It doesn't *have* to be 'google'... you could change it to 'g' instead.
    The technique works quick enough for me... I just hit Ctrl+L, then
    type 'g' with my search term, and enter. Done! Works so fast I don't
    even realize I'm doing it half the time ;-)

    > May seem silly, but in the end, there IS the function "domain
    > completion" in Firefox, so I think my search for a way to configure
    > this is at least somewhat reasonable.
    > Any more suggestions?

    You can look at the FirefoxToolbar [http://www.firefoxtoolbar.com] and
    maybe that can simplify your searching. Or if it's just a normal Google
    search you want, just use the search box in the right hand corner. It
    has 5 searches built-in, there are more available, or you can make your own.

    --
    Brian

    Email Info -
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm