ctrl alt delete in remote desktop - and deleting files in use by another process

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk, Feb 1, 2007.

  1. Guest

    this is solved..

    i had a file giving "access is denied" or in use by another process
    errors when I tried to delete it. I did CTRL+ALT+DELETE and end tasked
    explorer and tried to delete from command prompt (like eldergeek
    suggests). but no luck.. I coudln't copy from command line either. I
    was considering safe mode but I have never had to, it shouldn't be
    necessary. I checked with sysinternals process explorer, "find..find
    handle" c:\blah , and up pops the file within c:\blah apparently
    used by "explorer.exe". Strange, since I end tasked it.

    After quitting my remote desktop session, I came to a blank screen
    *problem solved* !!
    it is if explorer.exe had been closed on the client machine - (the one
    i'm sitting on is the client, connecting to the server). And that was
    indeed te case.
    in remote desktop, CTRL+ALT+DELETE had opened up task manager on the
    client machine, I should've seen from the bottom taskbar, it switches
    to the client machine too. And msttsc.exe was listed in that box too -
    which i hadn't noticed, but that indicates it was the client. So I
    had closed eplorer.exe on that.

    To do CTRL+ALT+DELETE on the machine you are logged into - as google
    told me - it's CTRL+ALT+END

    , Feb 1, 2007