    am missing vital data. Where would Vista put items that I can retrieve
    them? They are not in Recycle Bin :(

    Mucho thanks to anyone who can help me regain these files.

    Boppy, Jul 10, 2008

  2. Boppy

    Enkidu Guest

    Re: Ctr x'd and it froze during Ctr V - where are files that werecut but not pasted?

    Ross wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 00:50:50 -0700 (PDT), Boppy
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi guys, in a bit of a jam - was moving large folder from C drive to D
    >> and the move (paste) process froze on 31 minutes. Crashed that but now
    >> am missing vital data. Where would Vista put items that I can retrieve
    >> them? They are not in Recycle Bin :(
    >>
    >> Mucho thanks to anyone who can help me regain these files.

    > AFAIK, move means "copy, then delete after success".
    > So the ones that didn't move should still be in the original folder.

    Or in the black hole somewhere in between.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - someone on a newsgroup, somewhere.

    Enkidu, Jul 10, 2008

  3. Boppy

    Alan Guest

    "Boppy" <> wrote in message
    > Hi guys, in a bit of a jam - was moving large folder from C drive to
    > and the move (paste) process froze on 31 minutes. Crashed that but
    > now
    > am missing vital data. Where would Vista put items that I can
    > retrieve
    > them? They are not in Recycle Bin :(
    >
    > Mucho thanks to anyone who can help me regain these files.

    Hi Boppy,

    Have you tried doing a search on one of the filenames across both
    disks? Not much of a help, but my only idea.

    This is not going to help you with your current problem, but....

    Having had this happen to me once, I have now gotten into the habit of
    never, ever, moving anything. I always copy then delete. Until your
    post I had actually forgotten why I do that, it has just become so
    much of a habit that I don't even think about it now.

    On that same note and assuming you are using Windows or another OS
    with the same functionality, if using a mouse, I also have gotten into
    the habit of always using RIGHT click and drag, never ever using LEFT
    click and drag. The reason is that left click and drag does a 'move'
    if the source and destination are both on the same drive. By always
    using right click and drag puts me in control and I explicitly decide
    which option I want to take (I can then choose to copy not move).

    HTH and Good Luck!

    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Jul 10, 2008
  4. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    Re: Ctr x'd and it froze during Ctr V - where are files that were cutbut not pasted?

    Thanks for replying guys.

    No, the files are not where they started.

    Doing a Google Desktop search show the files in the results but
    clicking on that resulting link gives me a "file not found" error.

    Boppy, Jul 10, 2008
  5. Boppy

    Matty F Guest

    On Jul 10, 8:55 pm, Boppy <> wrote:
    > Thanks for replying guys.
    >
    > No, the files are not where they started.
    >
    > Doing a Google Desktop search show the files in the results but
    > clicking on that resulting link gives me a "file not found" error.

    I imagine that the missing files are copied OK but the pointers to
    them have not been written to the directory. There are a number of
    utilities that can retrieve files that have been accidentally
    "deleted" (i.e the pointer only is deleted). It's some years since I
    needed to retrieve deleted files so there may be improved versions
    now. Somebody must know of them.
    In the meantime don't do anthing that changes either disk, as that may
    overwrite the files that you want.

    Matty F, Jul 10, 2008
  6. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    On Jul 10, 9:38 pm, Matty F <> wrote:
    > On Jul 10, 8:55 pm, Boppy <> wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for replying guys.

    > > No, the files are not where they started.

    > > Doing a Google Desktop search show the files in the results but
    > > clicking on that resulting link gives me a "file not found" error.

    > I imagine that the missing files are copied OK but the pointers to
    > them have not been written to the directory. There are a number of
    > utilities that can retrieve files that have been accidentally
    > "deleted" (i.e the pointer only is deleted). It's some years since I
    > needed to retrieve deleted files so there may be improved versions
    > now. Somebody must know of them.
    > In the meantime don't do anthing that changes either disk, as that may
    > overwrite the files that you want.

    Found the missing files by right-clicking on the folder and then using
    Restore Previous Version. Yay!
    Thanks everyone.

    Boppy, Jul 10, 2008
  7. Boppy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: Ctr x'd and it froze during Ctr V - where are files that were cut but not pasted?

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Boppy" typed:
    > On Jul 10, 9:38 pm, Matty F <> wrote:
    >> On Jul 10, 8:55 pm, Boppy <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks for replying guys.

    >>> No, the files are not where they started.

    >>> Doing a Google Desktop search show the files in the results but
    >>> clicking on that resulting link gives me a "file not found" error.

    >> I imagine that the missing files are copied OK but the pointers to
    >> them have not been written to the directory. There are a number of
    >> utilities that can retrieve files that have been accidentally
    >> "deleted" (i.e the pointer only is deleted). It's some years since I
    >> needed to retrieve deleted files so there may be improved versions
    >> now. Somebody must know of them.
    >> In the meantime don't do anthing that changes either disk, as that
    >> may overwrite the files that you want.

    > Found the missing files by right-clicking on the folder and then using
    > Restore Previous Version. Yay!
    > Thanks everyone.

    Cool. I didn't know there was such an option. Maybe it's a Vista thing?

    I'm pleased you got your files back.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 10, 2008
  8. Boppy

    bugalugs Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Boppy" typed:

    >>> I imagine that the missing files are copied OK but the pointers to
    >>> them have not been written to the directory. There are a number of
    >>> utilities that can retrieve files that have been accidentally
    >>> "deleted" (i.e the pointer only is deleted). It's some years since I
    >>> needed to retrieve deleted files so there may be improved versions
    >>> now. Somebody must know of them.

    X Tree Gold ??
    (where did it go ??)

    bugalugs, Jul 10, 2008
  9. Boppy

    Grant Guest

    Re: Ctr x'd and it froze during Ctr V - where are files that were cut but not pasted?

    Look for ZTree in Google

    Grant, Jul 10, 2008
  10. Boppy

    bugalugs Guest

    Grant wrote:

    > "bugalugs" <> wrote in message
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Boppy" typed:

    >> X Tree Gold ??
    >> (where did it go ??)

    > Look for ZTree in Google

    Thanks for that. Thought it had disappeared where realy good, but old,
    software goes to die.

    bugalugs, Jul 11, 2008