    to do the printing, not an ideal answer ...

    steve

    , Jun 1, 2007

  2. babaloo Guest

    Presuming you use color management and have profiled your monitor:
    Make sure your basic color management preferences are set correctly. The CS3
    beta had an annoying habit of not maintaining the same settings from session
    to session and I would not be surprised if some users see this in the
    commercial product.
    The rituals for color managed printing in CS3 are arbitrarily different than
    in CS2. They are not better but, like Micrsoft, Adobe feels compelled to
    force you to adapt to different way to do exactly the same thing presumably
    so you will think the rest of the upgrade is more of an upgrade than it
    really is.
    Make sure your printer driver is set correctly with regard to paper type and
    turn off color management in the driver. This is much more straightforward
    in the Epson driver than in Canon.
    Make sure you have chosen the correct printer/paper profile after choosing
    to let Photoshop manage color printing. A mismatch here is easy to overlook.
    If you are using a CRT and previously had good results then you have a
    problem with the way you are managing color, easy to do in CS3.
    If you are using an LCD monitor, unless it is a very pricey dedicated
    graphics panel, prints will always be darker than what you see on screen no
    matter how good you are at profiling the monitor, etc.
    LCD panel brightness is comparable to a star going supernova.
    Do not try to adjust the brightness/contrast of an LCD panel to the print.
    These settings are not really adjustable, despite the presence of controls
    to do so, in most LCD panels.
    In a color managed system, all else being equal, one way to get around the
    LCD overbrightness problem is to find an arbitray setting for the new
    brightness control in CS3 (which work differently and better than in prior
    versions) that you can apply to all prints prior to printing. Some users may
    also want to apply global contrast changes in the same way. For the
    otherwise well-reegarded Sanyo panel I am forced to use, after much wasted
    paper and trying nearly every other method I could discover, I have found
    this to work reasonably well for most uses by dialing the brightness all the
    way up to 40 prior to printing.

    babaloo, Jun 1, 2007

  3. Guest

    sorry ....

    my statement must not have been clear

    i do know how to print with photoshop and get perfect prints from my
    calibrated eizo cg210 monitor using cs2 and epson 3800 ...

    in cs3 doing the same technique (choose paper type, icc, etc) i get a
    dark print ...unless i skip all the neat things and let "printer
    control color" ... in which case i get an acceptable print but not a
    great one...

    so ... after working on the print in cs3 i close it, open cs2 and
    print ...

    a nuisance ...

    and this is apparently well know to both epson and adobe but so far no
    joy ...was hoping someone else had come up with a work around ..

    steve

    On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 08:15:17 -0700, "babaloo" <>
    wrote:

    >Presuming you use color management and have profiled your monitor:
    >Make sure your basic color management preferences are set correctly. The CS3
    >beta had an annoying habit of not maintaining the same settings from session
    >to session and I would not be surprised if some users see this in the
    >commercial product.
    >The rituals for color managed printing in CS3 are arbitrarily different than
    >in CS2. They are not better but, like Micrsoft, Adobe feels compelled to
    >force you to adapt to different way to do exactly the same thing presumably
    >so you will think the rest of the upgrade is more of an upgrade than it
    >really is.
    >Make sure your printer driver is set correctly with regard to paper type and
    >turn off color management in the driver. This is much more straightforward
    >in the Epson driver than in Canon.
    >Make sure you have chosen the correct printer/paper profile after choosing
    >to let Photoshop manage color printing. A mismatch here is easy to overlook.
    >If you are using a CRT and previously had good results then you have a
    >problem with the way you are managing color, easy to do in CS3.
    >If you are using an LCD monitor, unless it is a very pricey dedicated
    >graphics panel, prints will always be darker than what you see on screen no
    >matter how good you are at profiling the monitor, etc.
    >LCD panel brightness is comparable to a star going supernova.
    >Do not try to adjust the brightness/contrast of an LCD panel to the print.
    >These settings are not really adjustable, despite the presence of controls
    >to do so, in most LCD panels.
    >In a color managed system, all else being equal, one way to get around the
    >LCD overbrightness problem is to find an arbitray setting for the new
    >brightness control in CS3 (which work differently and better than in prior
    >versions) that you can apply to all prints prior to printing. Some users may
    >also want to apply global contrast changes in the same way. For the
    >otherwise well-reegarded Sanyo panel I am forced to use, after much wasted
    >paper and trying nearly every other method I could discover, I have found
    >this to work reasonably well for most uses by dialing the brightness all the
    >way up to 40 prior to printing.

    , Jun 2, 2007