    it doesn't show up in the DCIM folder.
    Thanks,
    Monica

    Monica, Jan 22, 2006

  2. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Forgot to mention that once I recovered the photos, the partial photos show
    complete in thumbnail size....enlarge it and it's part picture and part
    gray.

    Monica, Jan 22, 2006

  3. Monica

    John L Rice Guest

    "Monica" <> wrote in message
    >I just got home from a week long cruise and 3 128mb smart media cards full
    >of lifetime memories. One of the cards was full of "unknown file format"
    >error messages. All the pictures but one were corrupt. I used PC
    >Inspector Smart Recovery program to successfully recover 95% of them but a
    >few were just partially recovered. Elements can't open it because of
    >"unknown or invalid jpeg marker type is found". Irfanview says "unknown
    >file format" and PSP 9 says it's not identified as a supported type. Is
    >there any recovery program that might be able to load ALL of those few that
    >just partially loaded? Before leaving for our cruise, I formatted all the
    >cards in the camera. This particular card had an .avi movie on it that
    >doesn't appear on the card now. I reviewed it on the camera earlier this
    >week but it doesn't show up in the DCIM folder.
    > Thanks,
    > Monica

    Sorry to hear that! I don't have an answer for you but tell us what brand
    and model of camera you used and what brand of memory cards.

    Best of luck!

    John L Rice

    John L Rice, Jan 22, 2006
  4. Monica

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Monica wrote:
    > I just got home from a week long cruise and 3 128mb smart media cards full
    > of lifetime memories. One of the cards was full of "unknown file format"
    > error messages. All the pictures but one were corrupt. I used PC Inspector
    > Smart Recovery program to successfully recover 95% of them but a few were
    > just partially recovered. Elements can't open it because of "unknown or
    > invalid jpeg marker type is found". Irfanview says "unknown file format"
    > and PSP 9 says it's not identified as a supported type. Is there any
    > recovery program that might be able to load ALL of those few that just
    > partially loaded? Before leaving for our cruise, I formatted all the cards
    > in the camera. This particular card had an .avi movie on it that doesn't
    > appear on the card now. I reviewed it on the camera earlier this week but
    > it doesn't show up in the DCIM folder.
    > Thanks,
    > Monica

    Monica,
    I am glad you managed to get most of your pictures off the card. I
    suspect that the others are so damaged that you won't be able to recover
    them. The nature of JPEG is such that just a few bytes missing from the
    beginning of the file can render the file useless, like an encrypted
    file without the key.
    Now, for the future-- This type of corruption usually happens when
    you remove a card before the camera is finished writing to it. Don't
    get in a hurry when you fill a card during a rapid shooting 'spree'. I
    recall taking a lot of pictures quickly on a cruise (Alaska), and
    filling the card. I had to wait almost 30 seconds before the camera
    indicated it was finished writing to the card before I could replace it
    with an empty one. Impatience at that point can cause a lot of trouble.
    Most current cameras are smart enough not to power down until they
    finish writing to the card in spite of the switch position, but if you
    remove the battery, ugly things can happen, so be careful if you are
    changing batteries as well.
    I hope you never have this problem again. Just be glad you had your
    pictures on three cards, instead of all on one....

    Ron Hunter, Jan 22, 2006
  5. Monica

    Dave Cohen Guest

    PhotoRescue is proably a better recovery program, but where you recovered
    such a high percentage of what was on the card I doubt if it would do any
    better in this case. I agree with Ron below, be very careful no writing is
    taking place when you remove the card.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jan 22, 2006
  6. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Thanks guys. I was fairly certain I'd gotten all I was going to get.
    Thought just I'd ask to make sure. After emailing, I noticed the file size
    on those that didn't completely turn out. They're small (<200kb) so there's
    nothing there to "recover". I have (2 actually) Oly 2100UZs (UZi). I try
    to be very aware of turning the camera off after all writing is stopped. I
    have a digipack power supply instead of batteries....oh, you know what!
    Come to think of it, on this last card there was 3 or 4 times that the
    camera indicated the card door was open :eek: It didn't appear to be but maybe
    it was just enough to cause the error message. Hummmm, I'll have to watch
    that. Thanks again for your replies.
    Monica
    "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in message
    > PhotoRescue is proably a better recovery program, but where you recovered
    > such a high percentage of what was on the card I doubt if it would do any
    > better in this case. I agree with Ron below, be very careful no writing is
    > taking place when you remove the card.
    > Dave Cohen
    >
    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    >> Monica wrote:
    >>> I just got home from a week long cruise and 3 128mb smart media cards
    >>> full of lifetime memories. One of the cards was full of "unknown file
    >>> format" error messages. All the pictures but one were corrupt. I used
    >>> PC Inspector Smart Recovery program to successfully recover 95% of them
    >>> but a few were just partially recovered. Elements can't open it
    >>> because of "unknown or invalid jpeg marker type is found". Irfanview
    >>> says "unknown file format" and PSP 9 says it's not identified as a
    >>> supported type. Is there any recovery program that might be able to
    >>> load ALL of those few that just partially loaded? Before leaving for
    >>> our cruise, I formatted all the cards in the camera. This particular
    >>> card had an .avi movie on it that doesn't appear on the card now. I
    >>> reviewed it on the camera earlier this week but it doesn't show up in
    >>> the DCIM folder.
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Monica

    Monica, Jan 22, 2006
  7. Monica

    Martin Brown Guest

    Monica wrote:

    > Thanks guys. I was fairly certain I'd gotten all I was going to get.
    > Thought just I'd ask to make sure. After emailing, I noticed the file size
    > on those that didn't completely turn out. They're small (<200kb) so there's
    > nothing there to "recover".

    If they were about the right size then it may be possible to recover
    them provided that most of the data is intact. Obviously if they are too
    small then the rest has been lost for all eternity. But worth trying on
    the original media with PhotoRescue just in case their heuristics find a
    few files that another package has missed. Each one has its strengths.

    It only takes a few bytes of unlucky damage to a JPEG stream to render
    it totally undecodable (that is a price you pay for efficient
    compression). Some can be repaired but unfortunately the JPEG repair
    process is not cost effective for holiday snaps.

    > I have (2 actually) Oly 2100UZs (UZi). I try
    > to be very aware of turning the camera off after all writing is stopped. I
    > have a digipack power supply instead of batteries....oh, you know what!

    One thing that can trash a memory card is when their is an intermittent
    or dirty electrical contact on it. But by far the most common causes are:

    1. Ejecting the card from a socket whilst a write is still in progress.

    2. Inserting it into a card reader after physically ejecting another
    card but without explicitly demounting the volume (for some strange
    reason Windows does not always honour the media changed flag). If this
    happens you get the old directory info smashed down on top of the new
    card - not good.

    > Come to think of it, on this last card there was 3 or 4 times that the
    > camera indicated the card door was open :eek: It didn't appear to be but maybe
    > it was just enough to cause the error message. Hummmm, I'll have to watch
    > that. Thanks again for your replies.

    You should try to figure out what caused the failure to prevent it
    happening again. If you only lost 5% you were quite lucky this time.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Jan 23, 2006
  8. Monica

    Guest

    Re: Cruise Pictures..."Unknown File Format"?? Uh oh!

    Hi,

    If you really wish to restore data I suppose you using really powerful
    data recovery tools such as Active@ Undelete or Uneraser(for DOS).
    These mighty tools never failed me before and were always able to bring
    back data, nor thay ever corrupted it. I'm pretty sure that will be
    able to solve your problem.

    http://www.active-undelete.com/

    http://www.uneraser.com/

    , Jan 25, 2006