    although I knew their cards are very slow and not really fast enough
    for modern cameras. As well as being slow their memory is also
    unreliable and their customer service is rubbish too.

    Proteus, Sep 10, 2004

  2. Proteus

    spodosaurus Guest

    Proteus wrote:
    > I bought a 1GB compactflash card from Crucial (http://www.crucial.com)
    > for use with my Canon 10d. Unfortunately after a month it went dead
    > with the camera reporting 'error 02'. I sent the card back to Crucial
    > asking for a refund but they refused as I had bought the memory card
    > over 30 days before. They insisted on sending a replacement even
    > though I had already bought a new card and asked them for a refund. I
    > only bought Crucial memory in the first place because they were cheap,
    > although I knew their cards are very slow and not really fast enough
    > for modern cameras. As well as being slow their memory is also
    > unreliable and their customer service is rubbish too.

    That seems a perfectly reasonable way for Crucial to handle the matter
    to me. They received the faulty card and promptly replaced it. To me,
    that sounds like an endorsement.

    spodosaurus, Sep 10, 2004

  3. Proteus

    Alan Browne Guest

    Proteus wrote:

    > I bought a 1GB compactflash card from Crucial (http://www.crucial.com)
    > for use with my Canon 10d. Unfortunately after a month it went dead
    > with the camera reporting 'error 02'. I sent the card back to Crucial
    > asking for a refund but they refused as I had bought the memory card
    > over 30 days before. They insisted on sending a replacement even
    > though I had already bought a new card and asked them for a refund. I
    > only bought Crucial memory in the first place because they were cheap,
    > although I knew their cards are very slow and not really fast enough
    > for modern cameras. As well as being slow their memory is also
    > unreliable and their customer service is rubbish too.

    So, when you bought the card you bought into the warranty which says:

    "Crucial, at its option, will repair, replace, or provide a
    credit or refund of either the original purchase price or fair
    market value, whichever is lower, of any product that is
    determined by Crucial to be defective."

    They elected to replace (no surprise). You should still take the
    replacement whether or not you bought another card.

    Don't bitch about their customer service when they laid out their
    T&C's when you bought the product and now they're simply trying
    to live up to their T&C's.

    And in the future stick with the higher quality vendors. When
    you go cheap you get what you pay for.

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Browne, Sep 10, 2004
  4. In article <414206ad$>,
    spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com says...
    > Proteus wrote:
    > > I bought a 1GB compactflash card from Crucial (http://www.crucial.com)
    > > for use with my Canon 10d. Unfortunately after a month it went dead
    > > with the camera reporting 'error 02'. I sent the card back to Crucial
    > > asking for a refund but they refused as I had bought the memory card
    > > over 30 days before. They insisted on sending a replacement even
    > > though I had already bought a new card and asked them for a refund. I
    > > only bought Crucial memory in the first place because they were cheap,
    > > although I knew their cards are very slow and not really fast enough
    > > for modern cameras. As well as being slow their memory is also
    > > unreliable and their customer service is rubbish too.

    > That seems a perfectly reasonable way for Crucial to handle the matter
    > to me. They received the faulty card and promptly replaced it. To me,
    > that sounds like an endorsement.

    I'd have to agree - I don't know of anywhere that would give a
    refund after more than 30 days.
    In my experience (and that of many others) the customer service
    from Crucial is about as good as it gets.

    Graeme Cogger, Sep 10, 2004
  5. Proteus

    Grim Guest

    > Proteus wrote:
    >
    > > I bought a 1GB compactflash card from Crucial (http://www.crucial.com)
    > > for use with my Canon 10d. Unfortunately after a month it went dead
    > > with the camera reporting 'error 02'. I sent the card back to Crucial
    > > asking for a refund but they refused as I had bought the memory card
    > > over 30 days before. They insisted on sending a replacement even
    > > though I had already bought a new card and asked them for a refund. I
    > > only bought Crucial memory in the first place because they were cheap,
    > > although I knew their cards are very slow and not really fast enough
    > > for modern cameras. As well as being slow their memory is also
    > > unreliable and their customer service is rubbish too.

    Holy crap! Some people will bitch about anything!

    Grim, Sep 10, 2004
  6. Proteus

    G. Innipig Guest

    "Proteus" <> wrote in message
    > I bought a 1GB compactflash card from Crucial (http://www.crucial.com)
    > for use with my Canon 10d. Unfortunately after a month it went dead
    > with the camera reporting 'error 02'. I sent the card back to Crucial
    > asking for a refund but they refused as I had bought the memory card
    > over 30 days before. They insisted on sending a replacement even
    > though I had already bought a new card and asked them for a refund. I
    > only bought Crucial memory in the first place because they were cheap,
    > although I knew their cards are very slow and not really fast enough
    > for modern cameras. As well as being slow their memory is also
    > unreliable and their customer service is rubbish too.

    What spot-on service. Well done Crucial.
    Buy a cheap nasty card you get cheap nasty performance. But Crucial did
    exactly what they say they would do. Shut up bitching, you bloody misery;
    you got exactly what you paid for, no more, no less.

    G. Innipig, Sep 10, 2004
  7. Proteus

    Proteus Guest

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 21:33:43 +0100, "G. Innipig" <>
    wrote:

    >"Proteus" <> wrote in message
    >> I bought a 1GB compactflash card from Crucial (http://www.crucial.com)
    >> for use with my Canon 10d. Unfortunately after a month it went dead
    >> with the camera reporting 'error 02'. I sent the card back to Crucial
    >> asking for a refund but they refused as I had bought the memory card
    >> over 30 days before. They insisted on sending a replacement even
    >> though I had already bought a new card and asked them for a refund. I
    >> only bought Crucial memory in the first place because they were cheap,
    >> although I knew their cards are very slow and not really fast enough
    >> for modern cameras. As well as being slow their memory is also
    >> unreliable and their customer service is rubbish too.

    >What spot-on service. Well done Crucial.
    >Buy a cheap nasty card you get cheap nasty performance. But Crucial did
    >exactly what they say they would do. Shut up bitching, you bloody misery;
    >you got exactly what you paid for, no more, no less.

    Now hold on. I *never* said Crucial were selling cheap and nasty
    products!!! I merely stated the facts as I found them.

    Proteus, Sep 10, 2004
  8. Proteus

    daytripper Guest

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:17:31 +0100, Proteus <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 21:33:43 +0100, "G. Innipig" <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>"Proteus" <> wrote in message
    >>> I bought a 1GB compactflash card from Crucial (http://www.crucial.com)
    >>> for use with my Canon 10d. Unfortunately after a month it went dead
    >>> with the camera reporting 'error 02'. I sent the card back to Crucial
    >>> asking for a refund but they refused as I had bought the memory card
    >>> over 30 days before. They insisted on sending a replacement even
    >>> though I had already bought a new card and asked them for a refund. I
    >>> only bought Crucial memory in the first place because they were cheap,
    >>> although I knew their cards are very slow and not really fast enough
    >>> for modern cameras. As well as being slow their memory is also
    >>> unreliable and their customer service is rubbish too.

    >>What spot-on service. Well done Crucial.
    >>Buy a cheap nasty card you get cheap nasty performance. But Crucial did
    >>exactly what they say they would do. Shut up bitching, you bloody misery;
    >>you got exactly what you paid for, no more, no less.
    >>

    >Now hold on. I *never* said Crucial were selling cheap and nasty
    >products!!! I merely stated the facts as I found them.

    You are a moron. Deal with that...

    daytripper, Sep 11, 2004
  9. In article <>, Proteus
    <> wrote:

    > I bought a 1GB compactflash card from Crucial (http://www.crucial.com)
    > for use with my Canon 10d. Unfortunately after a month it went dead
    > with the camera reporting 'error 02'. I sent the card back to Crucial
    > asking for a refund but they refused as I had bought the memory card
    > over 30 days before. They insisted on sending a replacement even
    > though I had already bought a new card and asked them for a refund. I
    > only bought Crucial memory in the first place because they were cheap,
    > although I knew their cards are very slow and not really fast enough
    > for modern cameras. As well as being slow their memory is also
    > unreliable and their customer service is rubbish too.

    I used to work in a computer store that bought lots of memory from
    Crucial. If there were any defective chips (we tested 'em) they'd take
    care of it with no hassles.

    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 11, 2004
  10. Proteus

    Proteus Guest

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 21:29:49 -0700, Randall Ainsworth
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, Proteus
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> I bought a 1GB compactflash card from Crucial (http://www.crucial.com)
    >> for use with my Canon 10d. Unfortunately after a month it went dead
    >> with the camera reporting 'error 02'. I sent the card back to Crucial
    >> asking for a refund but they refused as I had bought the memory card
    >> over 30 days before. They insisted on sending a replacement even
    >> though I had already bought a new card and asked them for a refund. I
    >> only bought Crucial memory in the first place because they were cheap,
    >> although I knew their cards are very slow and not really fast enough
    >> for modern cameras. As well as being slow their memory is also
    >> unreliable and their customer service is rubbish too.

    >I used to work in a computer store that bought lots of memory from
    >Crucial. If there were any defective chips (we tested 'em) they'd take
    >care of it with no hassles.

    Yes that was part of the problem. Crucial has a good reputation for
    computer memory and I wrongly assumed that their CF memory would be
    similarly good.

    Proteus, Sep 11, 2004
  11. Proteus

    Proteus Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 02:16:38 GMT, daytripper
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:17:31 +0100, Proteus <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 21:33:43 +0100, "G. Innipig" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Proteus" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>>What spot-on service. Well done Crucial.
    >>>Buy a cheap nasty card you get cheap nasty performance. But Crucial did
    >>>exactly what they say they would do. Shut up bitching, you bloody misery;
    >>>you got exactly what you paid for, no more, no less.
    >>>

    >>Now hold on. I *never* said Crucial were selling cheap and nasty
    >>products!!! I merely stated the facts as I found them.

    >You are a moron. Deal with that...

    Sticks and stones son...

    Proteus, Sep 11, 2004
  12. Proteus

    Big Bill Guest

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:42:55 +0100, Proteus <> wrote:

    >I bought a 1GB compactflash card from Crucial (http://www.crucial.com)
    >for use with my Canon 10d. Unfortunately after a month it went dead
    >with the camera reporting 'error 02'. I sent the card back to Crucial
    >asking for a refund but they refused as I had bought the memory card
    >over 30 days before. They insisted on sending a replacement even
    >though I had already bought a new card and asked them for a refund. I
    >only bought Crucial memory in the first place because they were cheap,
    >although I knew their cards are very slow and not really fast enough
    >for modern cameras. As well as being slow their memory is also
    >unreliable and their customer service is rubbish too.

    High quality.
    Low price.
    Good warranty.

    Pick any two.
    You didn't even pick two. You only picked low price.
    You got what you paid for.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Sep 11, 2004
  13. Proteus

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <>,
    Big Bill <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:42:55 +0100, Proteus <> wrote:
    >
    >>I bought a 1GB compactflash card from Crucial (http://www.crucial.com)
    >>for use with my Canon 10d. Unfortunately after a month it went dead
    >>with the camera reporting 'error 02'. I sent the card back to Crucial
    >>asking for a refund but they refused as I had bought the memory card
    >>over 30 days before. They insisted on sending a replacement even
    >>though I had already bought a new card and asked them for a refund. I
    >>only bought Crucial memory in the first place because they were cheap,
    >>although I knew their cards are very slow and not really fast enough
    >>for modern cameras. As well as being slow their memory is also
    >>unreliable and their customer service is rubbish too.

    >High quality.
    >Low price.
    >Good warranty.
    >
    >Pick any two.
    >You didn't even pick two. You only picked low price.
    >You got what you paid for.
    >
    >Bill Funk
    >Change "g" to "a"

    In my experience Crucial is a top-shelf quality provider. It's the
    web site for Micron, which has been making chips in the USA for a
    couple decades. AFAIK they still make some of thier stuff in the USA.

    Resellerratings.com gives Crucial a 9.51 rating from more than 1000
    people. It doesn't get much better than that.

    Crucial fulfilled it's warrenty terms promptly and completely. What's
    the gripe ?

    --
    Al Dykes
    -----------

    Al Dykes, Sep 11, 2004
  14. Proteus

    Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:59:34 -0700, Big Bill <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:42:55 +0100, Proteus <> wrote:
    >
    >>I bought a 1GB compactflash card from Crucial (http://www.crucial.com)
    >>for use with my Canon 10d. Unfortunately after a month it went dead
    >>with the camera reporting 'error 02'. I sent the card back to Crucial
    >>asking for a refund but they refused as I had bought the memory card
    >>over 30 days before. They insisted on sending a replacement even
    >>though I had already bought a new card and asked them for a refund. I
    >>only bought Crucial memory in the first place because they were cheap,
    >>although I knew their cards are very slow and not really fast enough
    >>for modern cameras. As well as being slow their memory is also
    >>unreliable and their customer service is rubbish too.

    >High quality.
    >Low price.
    >Good warranty.
    >
    >Pick any two.
    >You didn't even pick two. You only picked low price.
    >You got what you paid for.

    In the end, he also got a good warranty anyway -- the seller
    was willing to replace the product. That the buyer chose the self-help
    path of purchasing elsewhere is his own problem.

    , Sep 11, 2004
  15. Proteus

    Tim Smith Guest

    On 2004-09-10, Proteus <> wrote:
    > for modern cameras. As well as being slow their memory is also
    > unreliable and their customer service is rubbish too.

    Crucial has a 9.51 six-month rating, and a 9.68 lifetime rating, at
    resellerreports.com.

    --
    --Tim Smith

    Tim Smith, Sep 11, 2004
  16. Proteus

    Tim Smith Guest

    On 2004-09-10, Alan Browne <> wrote:
    > And in the future stick with the higher quality vendors.

    I'm curious who you think would be a higher quality vendor than Crucial.

    --
    --Tim Smith

    Tim Smith, Sep 11, 2004
  17. Proteus

    Mako Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 22:09:42 GMT, Tim Smith
    <> wrote:

    >On 2004-09-10, Proteus <> wrote:
    >> for modern cameras. As well as being slow their memory is also
    >> unreliable and their customer service is rubbish too.

    >Crucial has a 9.51 six-month rating, and a 9.68 lifetime rating, at
    >resellerreports.com.

    For digi-camera memory, or ram? This thread is specific to the former.

    Mako, Sep 12, 2004
  18. Proteus

    Guest

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:53:29 +0100, Mako <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 22:09:42 GMT, Tim Smith
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On 2004-09-10, Proteus <> wrote:
    >>> for modern cameras. As well as being slow their memory is also
    >>> unreliable and their customer service is rubbish too.

    >>Crucial has a 9.51 six-month rating, and a 9.68 lifetime rating, at
    >>resellerreports.com.

    >For digi-camera memory, or ram? This thread is specific to the former.

    Do you really think they would bother to provide specific
    ratings for each individual product in their line of business?

    , Sep 12, 2004
  19. Proteus

    Mako Guest

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 01:27:34 GMT, wrote:

    >On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:53:29 +0100, Mako <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 22:09:42 GMT, Tim Smith
    >><> wrote:

    >>>Crucial has a 9.51 six-month rating, and a 9.68 lifetime rating, at
    >>>resellerreports.com.

    >>For digi-camera memory, or ram? This thread is specific to the former.

    > Do you really think they would bother to provide specific
    >ratings for each individual product in their line of business?

    Do you really think they provide their own ratings? The point I was
    making is that the rating may not be much use if they had a good ram
    product line but were trading on that reputation to sell another
    product line that wasn't so good.

    Mako, Sep 12, 2004
  20. Proteus

    Charlie Self Guest

    Mako Mako writes:

    >Do you really think they would bother to provide specific
    >>ratings for each individual product in their line of business?

    >Do you really think they provide their own ratings? The point I was
    >making is that the rating may not be much use if they had a good ram
    >product line but were trading on that reputation to sell another
    >product line that wasn't so good.

    Actually, it's hard to speculate on the basis of one complaint here. Evidently,
    the OP waited past the 30 day refund mark, then requested a refund, and got a
    new CF instead. I'm not exactly sure how following their own rules makes
    Crucial unresponsive, nor does that sound like bad customer service, to me. And
    one instance of a bad CF doesn't indicate an inferior line, at least to me.

    Charlie Self
    "Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and
    hurry off as if nothing happened." Sir Winston Churchill

    Charlie Self, Sep 12, 2004