Crucial Compact Flash memory and CF card readers

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JC Dill, Nov 13, 2003.

  1. JC Dill

    JC Dill Guest

    My 1 gig microdrive walked off on Monday. :-( I'm going to replace
    it with 2 (or more) compact flash cards. I'll need a new card reader
    too. The microdrive had a pcmcia adapter (which was lost with the
    drive, I lost both in the carrying case), but I see that Crucial is
    only offering USB card readers:

    <http://www.crucial.com/store/listbyattr.asp?attr=Flash%20Reader&cat=Flash>

    Does anyone here have any experience good/bad with any of these
    Crucial readers? Any experience with Crucial Compact Flash?
    Supposedly they have a lifetime warranty on their CF memory, has
    anyone here had any experience with Crucial's CF warranty?

    I'd like to order tomorrow, they are offering free 2nd-day delivery so
    I'll get the order on Friday or Saturday at the latest (depending on
    if they ship the same day, or the next day).

    Thanks!

    JC Dill, Nov 13, 2003

  2. JC Dill

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    Crucial is very dependable. While I have only purchased PC memory from them I
    have never had any problems over the last 5 years.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Nov 13, 2003

  3. JC Dill

    DHB Guest

    JC,
    Ditto what Rosita said about Crucial PC memory unfortunately I have
    never used their CF cards but most companies that offer a lifetime warrantee
    are making a quality product.

    As for myself I prefer Lexar cards because they too offer a lifetime
    warrantee on their 12x & faster cards. Lexar also makes a very inexpensive
    program called "Image Rescue" designed to work "only" with their CF cards
    which does what the name implies & a much more. Since I got my whole family
    into digital photography & am the ET in the family, they all have Lexar
    flash memory cards & none of theirs or mine have ever failed. Did use
    "Image Rescue" to recover all the pictures my niece took on a Lexar CF card
    after she accidentally formatted it in camera.

    Sorry if I sound like an commercial for Lexar but I am very pleased with
    their products as are many family members & friends. If your interested in
    Lexar I have found Amazon.com to generally have the best prices.
    http://www.amazon.com/ will take you there & then type CF512-12-251 in their
    search box & it will take you to Lexar's 512M 12x CF card now on sale for
    $99.99 USD. Also they offer free "super saver shipping" on this item but
    you must select that or they won't ship it free. Don't know how much
    "Crucial's" CF cards are that your considering but I think you might have a
    problem beating this price.

    In all fairness, I also have a few Viking cards which I purchased before
    settling exclusively on Lexar cards & I have never had any problems with
    them either however they offer only a 5 year replacement warrantee. As for
    USB readers, there are several new USB-2 reader/writers out there, many of
    which also have slots for other flash card types. This may not seem like
    something you need but its worth consideration since as more & more people
    get digital cameras it might be nice to have a multi card reader so that you
    can share pictures or DATA files with others regardless of "their" camera's
    memory type.

    Sorry about the length of this response but I hope you & others find it
    useful.

    Respectfully, DHB

    DHB, Nov 13, 2003
  4. JC Dill

    James Hart Guest

    JC Dill wrote:
    > My 1 gig microdrive walked off on Monday. :-( I'm going to replace
    > it with 2 (or more) compact flash cards. I'll need a new card reader
    > too. The microdrive had a pcmcia adapter (which was lost with the
    > drive, I lost both in the carrying case), but I see that Crucial is
    > only offering USB card readers:

    <http://www.crucial.com/store/listbyattr.asp?attr=Flash%20Reader&cat=Flash>

    > Does anyone here have any experience good/bad with any of these
    > Crucial readers? Any experience with Crucial Compact Flash?
    > Supposedly they have a lifetime warranty on their CF memory, has
    > anyone here had any experience with Crucial's CF warranty?

    I've never understood the words 'lifetime warranty', surely that means when
    the card dies so does the warranty.

    --
    James...
    http://www.jameshart.co.uk/