    placed the refresh rate to 85Hz (highest). Any other suggestions?

    Thank you!

    Krhis

    Krhis, Apr 27, 2004

  2. Krhis wrote:
    > I spend about 8+ hours a day staring at a Gateway EV910 monitor
    > (Radeon 8500 video card).
    >
    > When I go about my everyday life, everything I see seems to slower
    > then in the past (like looking at a CRT set at 60Hz). The reason I am
    > posting this here and not to misc.health is because I just want to
    > know if there is anyone else out there who has had this problem before
    > (or something like it).
    >
    > Going out and getting a LCD seems to be a little to costly for me, so
    > for the time being I have turned down the brightness and contrast and
    > placed the refresh rate to 85Hz (highest). Any other suggestions?
    >
    > Thank you!
    >
    > Krhis

    I prefer CRT's myself. But if I seriously thought that LCD's were better
    for my eyes, what kind of value could I place on my vision?? Speaking
    only for myself, I figure about $200.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 27, 2004

  3. Krhis

    one_red_eye Guest

    "Krhis" <> wrote in message
    > I spend about 8+ hours a day staring at a Gateway EV910 monitor
    > (Radeon 8500 video card).
    >
    > When I go about my everyday life, everything I see seems to slower
    > then in the past (like looking at a CRT set at 60Hz). The reason I am
    > posting this here and not to misc.health is because I just want to
    > know if there is anyone else out there who has had this problem before
    > (or something like it).
    >
    > Going out and getting a LCD seems to be a little to costly for me, so
    > for the time being I have turned down the brightness and contrast and
    > placed the refresh rate to 85Hz (highest). Any other suggestions?
    >
    > Thank you!
    >
    > Krhis

    They make polarized filters for CRTs. They're ugly things but they're
    probably better for your eyes than looking at the bare screen. And don't
    cost more than $20 or $30 USD

    --
    I saw Elvis. He sat between
    me and Bigfoot on the UFO.

    one_red_eye, Apr 27, 2004
  4. Krhis

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Krhis" <> wrote in message
    > I spend about 8+ hours a day staring at a Gateway EV910 monitor
    > (Radeon 8500 video card).
    >
    > When I go about my everyday life, everything I see seems to slower
    > then in the past (like looking at a CRT set at 60Hz). The reason I am
    > posting this here and not to misc.health is because I just want to
    > know if there is anyone else out there who has had this problem before
    > (or something like it).
    >
    > Going out and getting a LCD seems to be a little to costly for me, so
    > for the time being I have turned down the brightness and contrast and
    > placed the refresh rate to 85Hz (highest). Any other suggestions?
    >
    > Thank you!
    >
    > Krhis

    And you are how old? When I passed 40 something ;o) my eyesight became more
    of a problem than I ever would have imagined...but it isn't the CRT...it's
    presbyopia <sp?>. Not only do I have problems focusing close, I also feel
    like you do that things don't seem to move at the same speed they used to. I
    see things and have to take a second look to fully understand what I saw...

    I too spend hours (8 to 10) on a CRT everyday, then a few more at my home on
    a LCD laptop. Personally, I don't see any difference between the two
    overall.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 27, 2004
  5. Krhis

    ICee Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "Krhis" <> wrote in message
    >> I spend about 8+ hours a day staring at a Gateway EV910 monitor
    >> (Radeon 8500 video card).
    >>
    >> When I go about my everyday life, everything I see seems to slower
    >> then in the past (like looking at a CRT set at 60Hz). The reason I am
    >> posting this here and not to misc.health is because I just want to
    >> know if there is anyone else out there who has had this problem
    >> before (or something like it).
    >>
    >> Going out and getting a LCD seems to be a little to costly for me, so
    >> for the time being I have turned down the brightness and contrast and
    >> placed the refresh rate to 85Hz (highest). Any other suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thank you!
    >>
    >> Krhis

    > And you are how old? When I passed 40 something ;o) my eyesight
    > became more of a problem than I ever would have imagined...but it
    > isn't the CRT...it's presbyopia <sp?>. Not only do I have problems
    > focusing close, I also feel like you do that things don't seem to
    > move at the same speed they used to. I see things and have to take a
    > second look to fully understand what I saw...

    That's because the electromagnetic radiation from the CRT sets up an
    interference wave pattern with the brain, causing a perception that time
    has slowed down.

    ICee, Apr 27, 2004
  6. Krhis

    one_red_eye Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    > > "Krhis" <> wrote in message
    > >> I spend about 8+ hours a day staring at a Gateway EV910 monitor
    > >> (Radeon 8500 video card).
    > >>
    > >> When I go about my everyday life, everything I see seems to slower
    > >> then in the past (like looking at a CRT set at 60Hz). The reason I am
    > >> posting this here and not to misc.health is because I just want to
    > >> know if there is anyone else out there who has had this problem
    > >> before (or something like it).
    > >>
    > >> Going out and getting a LCD seems to be a little to costly for me, so
    > >> for the time being I have turned down the brightness and contrast and
    > >> placed the refresh rate to 85Hz (highest). Any other suggestions?
    > >>
    > >> Thank you!
    > >>
    > >> Krhis

    > > And you are how old? When I passed 40 something ;o) my eyesight
    > > became more of a problem than I ever would have imagined...but it
    > > isn't the CRT...it's presbyopia <sp?>. Not only do I have problems
    > > focusing close, I also feel like you do that things don't seem to
    > > move at the same speed they used to. I see things and have to take a
    > > second look to fully understand what I saw...

    > That's because the electromagnetic radiation from the CRT sets up an
    > interference wave pattern with the brain, causing a perception that time
    > has slowed down.

    That's the Star Trek explanation.

    --
    I saw Elvis. He sat between
    me and Bigfoot on the UFO.

    one_red_eye, Apr 27, 2004
  7. Krhis

    ICee Guest

    one_red_eye wrote:
    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >> Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>> "Krhis" <> wrote in message

    >>> And you are how old? When I passed 40 something ;o) my eyesight
    >>> became more of a problem than I ever would have imagined...but it
    >>> isn't the CRT...it's presbyopia <sp?>. Not only do I have problems
    >>> focusing close, I also feel like you do that things don't seem to
    >>> move at the same speed they used to. I see things and have to take a
    >>> second look to fully understand what I saw...

    >> That's because the electromagnetic radiation from the CRT sets up an
    >> interference wave pattern with the brain, causing a perception that
    >> time has slowed down.
    >>

    > That's the Star Trek explanation.

    No, *this* is the Star Trek© explanation:

    "That's because electromagnetic radiation from the cathode ray tube in
    the 3 centimeter range of the electromagnetic spectrum interferes with
    gamma waves of the corpus callosum splenium portion of the brain,
    causing a sympathetic excitation of the parahippocampal gyrus, on a sub
    quantum level, which sets up an interference wave in the 400 to 700
    nanometer range, changing the linear interpretation of the space/time
    continuum to a logarithmic interpretation."

    ICee, Apr 27, 2004
  8. Krhis

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > one_red_eye wrote:
    > > "ICee" <> wrote in message

    > >> That's because the electromagnetic radiation from the CRT sets up an
    > >> interference wave pattern with the brain, causing a perception that
    > >> time has slowed down.
    > >>

    > > That's the Star Trek explanation.

    > No, *this* is the Star Trek© explanation:
    >
    > "That's because electromagnetic radiation from the cathode ray tube in
    > the 3 centimeter range of the electromagnetic spectrum interferes with
    > gamma waves of the corpus callosum splenium portion of the brain,
    > causing a sympathetic excitation of the parahippocampal gyrus, on a sub
    > quantum level, which sets up an interference wave in the 400 to 700
    > nanometer range, changing the linear interpretation of the space/time
    > continuum to a logarithmic interpretation."

    Mr. Spock Lives!!

    Toolman Tim, Apr 27, 2004
  9. Krhis

    ICee Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >> one_red_eye wrote:
    >>> "ICee" <> wrote in message

    >>> That's the Star Trek explanation.

    >> No, *this* is the Star Trek© explanation:
    >>
    >> "That's because electromagnetic radiation from the cathode ray tube
    >> in the 3 centimeter range of the electromagnetic spectrum interferes
    >> with gamma waves of the corpus callosum splenium portion of the
    >> brain, causing a sympathetic excitation of the parahippocampal
    >> gyrus, on a sub quantum level, which sets up an interference wave in
    >> the 400 to 700 nanometer range, changing the linear interpretation
    >> of the space/time continuum to a logarithmic interpretation."
    >>

    > Mr. Spock Lives!!

    I would have gone into more detail, but I needed to take a breath. You
    can learn more by running TWOS (Time Warp Operating System® ), available
    from COSMIC, on your computer. A summary is available here:
    http://www-hpc.jpl.nasa.gov/PEP/pls/tw.html

    Live long and prosper. \\ //

    ICee, Apr 27, 2004
  10. Krhis

    John Guest

    In article <>, Krhis
    <> wrote:

    > I spend about 8+ hours a day staring at a Gateway EV910 monitor
    > (Radeon 8500 video card).
    >
    > When I go about my everyday life, everything I see seems to slower
    > then in the past (like looking at a CRT set at 60Hz). The reason I am
    > posting this here and not to misc.health is because I just want to
    > know if there is anyone else out there who has had this problem before
    > (or something like it).
    >
    > Going out and getting a LCD seems to be a little to costly for me, so
    > for the time being I have turned down the brightness and contrast and
    > placed the refresh rate to 85Hz (highest). Any other suggestions?

    Reduce lighting glare in the path of viewing.

    Keep visual distractions around: work near a window, put the clock
    across the room andd turn off the screen clock, anything that helps you
    look around and change your visual focus frequently.

    Make sure the viewing angle is perpendicular to your face, and the
    screen angle keeps your neck relaxed; that is probably a little below
    your natural eyeline.
    Arm angle to the keyboard needs to be similarly relaxed. If you have to
    move your arms, hands, or neck (from a comfortable seated position) to
    get into position to use the computer, something needs to move.

    John, Apr 27, 2004
  11. Krhis

    trout Guest

    Krhis wrote:

    > I spend about 8+ hours a day staring at a Gateway EV910 monitor
    > (Radeon 8500 video card).
    >
    > When I go about my everyday life, everything I see seems to slower
    > then in the past (like looking at a CRT set at 60Hz). The reason I am
    > posting this here and not to misc.health is because I just want to
    > know if there is anyone else out there who has had this problem before
    > (or something like it).
    >
    > Going out and getting a LCD seems to be a little to costly for me, so
    > for the time being I have turned down the brightness and contrast and
    > placed the refresh rate to 85Hz (highest). Any other suggestions?
    >
    > Thank you!
    >
    > Krhis

    In addition to the other ideas; I'd suggest you avoid a stark white
    background. I noticed it was a lot easier on the eyes when I just
    dulled-down the display background with a little blue-grey.
    --
    "Or whatever suits you."

    trout, Apr 27, 2004
  12. Krhis

    John Guest

    wear sunglasses when you use your pc and it will save your eyes

    John, Apr 27, 2004
  13. Krhis

    Dan Glybitz Guest

    "Krhis" <> wrote in message
    > I spend about 8+ hours a day staring at a Gateway EV910 monitor
    > (Radeon 8500 video card).
    >
    > When I go about my everyday life, everything I see seems to slower
    > then in the past (like looking at a CRT set at 60Hz). The reason I am
    > posting this here and not to misc.health is because I just want to
    > know if there is anyone else out there who has had this problem before
    > (or something like it).
    >
    > Going out and getting a LCD seems to be a little to costly for me, so
    > for the time being I have turned down the brightness and contrast and
    > placed the refresh rate to 85Hz (highest). Any other suggestions?
    >
    > Thank you!
    >
    > Krhis

    Sounds like stroboscopic eyesight. You know, where stuff is moving but looks
    like it's stationary. I've got it, but I only notice it at work, it looks
    like I'm running around like a nutcase and everyone else is standing around
    doing **** all.

    DG.
    "Not really, of course. The power of suggestion."

    Dan Glybitz, Apr 27, 2004
  14. Krhis

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Dan Glybitz" <> wrote in message

    > "Krhis" <> wrote in message
    > > I spend about 8+ hours a day staring at a Gateway EV910 monitor
    > > (Radeon 8500 video card).
    > >
    > > When I go about my everyday life, everything I see seems to slower
    > > then in the past (like looking at a CRT set at 60Hz). The reason I am
    > > posting this here and not to misc.health is because I just want to
    > > know if there is anyone else out there who has had this problem before
    > > (or something like it).
    > >
    > > Going out and getting a LCD seems to be a little to costly for me, so
    > > for the time being I have turned down the brightness and contrast and
    > > placed the refresh rate to 85Hz (highest). Any other suggestions?
    > >
    > > Thank you!
    > >
    > > Krhis

    > Sounds like stroboscopic eyesight. You know, where stuff is moving but

    looks
    > like it's stationary. I've got it, but I only notice it at work, it looks
    > like I'm running around like a nutcase and everyone else is standing

    around
    > doing **** all.

    But Dan, everyone else *IS* standing around doing **** all...just like *MY*
    office!

    Toolman Tim, Apr 28, 2004
  15. Krhis

    Dan Glybitz Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <tmayer541_at_charter.invalid> wrote in message

    > "Dan Glybitz" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Krhis" <> wrote in message
    > > > I spend about 8+ hours a day staring at a Gateway EV910 monitor
    > > > (Radeon 8500 video card).
    > > >
    > > > When I go about my everyday life, everything I see seems to slower
    > > > then in the past (like looking at a CRT set at 60Hz). The reason I am
    > > > posting this here and not to misc.health is because I just want to
    > > > know if there is anyone else out there who has had this problem before
    > > > (or something like it).
    > > >
    > > > Going out and getting a LCD seems to be a little to costly for me, so
    > > > for the time being I have turned down the brightness and contrast and
    > > > placed the refresh rate to 85Hz (highest). Any other suggestions?
    > > >
    > > > Thank you!
    > > >
    > > > Krhis

    > > Sounds like stroboscopic eyesight. You know, where stuff is moving but

    > looks
    > > like it's stationary. I've got it, but I only notice it at work, it

    looks
    > > like I'm running around like a nutcase and everyone else is standing

    > around
    > > doing **** all.
    > >

    > But Dan, everyone else *IS* standing around doing **** all...just like

    *MY*
    > office!

    Thank god for that!! I thought I was going to have to get Specsavers to send
    me some lenses.

    DG.
    --
    "Whaaaat!! You got to go there?!!!"

    Dan Glybitz, Apr 28, 2004
  16. Krhis

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Krhis wrote:

    > I spend about 8+ hours a day staring at a Gateway EV910 monitor
    > (Radeon 8500 video card).
    >
    > When I go about my everyday life, everything I see seems to slower
    > then in the past (like looking at a CRT set at 60Hz). The reason I am
    > posting this here and not to misc.health is because I just want to
    > know if there is anyone else out there who has had this problem before
    > (or something like it).
    >
    > Going out and getting a LCD seems to be a little to costly for me,

    So how much is your vision worth?! Get it, you won't be sorry.

    Rick Merrill, Apr 28, 2004
  17. Krhis

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > "Krhis" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I spend about 8+ hours a day staring at a Gateway EV910 monitor
    >>(Radeon 8500 video card).
    >>
    >>When I go about my everyday life, everything I see seems to slower
    >>then in the past (like looking at a CRT set at 60Hz). The reason I am
    >>posting this here and not to misc.health is because I just want to
    >>know if there is anyone else out there who has had this problem before
    >>(or something like it).
    >>
    >>Going out and getting a LCD seems to be a little to costly for me, so
    >>for the time being I have turned down the brightness and contrast and
    >>placed the refresh rate to 85Hz (highest). Any other suggestions?
    >>
    >>Thank you!
    >>
    >>Krhis

    > And you are how old? When I passed 40 something ;o) my eyesight became more
    > of a problem than I ever would have imagined...but it isn't the CRT...it's
    > presbyopia <sp?>.

    A study at U of CA Berkley showed onset of presbyopia in ages 21-26
    from using CRT more than 8 hrs a day!

    Rick Merrill, Apr 28, 2004
  18. Krhis

    Pat Guest