CRT Monitor Distortion In The Uppermost Inch Of Display (only) ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Nov 7, 2005.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Have a Sony Trinitron CRT monitor.
    About 7 yrs old now, I guess.
    Really like it.

    All is fine with it, but over the last week or two
    it shows a considerable amount of distortion in the upper inch or so
    of the display. Only in this inch; rest is perfect.

    Colors are fine, but if you, e.g., look at text, it looks as if in the
    horizontal
    the letters are "stretched".

    Any thoughts on this ?

    Any of the monitor controls to try to correct this ?

    Thanks,
    Bob
    Robert11, Nov 7, 2005

  2. Robert11

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Robert11 wrote:
    > Hello:
    >
    > Have a Sony Trinitron CRT monitor.
    > About 7 yrs old now, I guess.
    > Really like it.
    >
    > All is fine with it, but over the last week or two
    > it shows a considerable amount of distortion in the upper inch or so
    > of the display. Only in this inch; rest is perfect.
    >
    > Colors are fine, but if you, e.g., look at text, it looks as if in the
    > horizontal
    > the letters are "stretched".
    >
    > Any thoughts on this ?
    >
    > Any of the monitor controls to try to correct this ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    1) could be dying
    2) could be an incorrect refresh rate
    3) could be other incorrect video driver settings
    4) could be the monitor only needs degaussing

    like an idiot.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 7, 2005

  3. Robert11

    Kenny Guest

    there are many controls that are ON the monitor that control the geometry of
    the image.
    If you dont know how to use the control I would suggest you read the manual,
    or if you no longer have it, find the manual online and learn how to use the
    controls.
    If whatever you do with the controls, the image does not fix, it means its a
    hardware problem and not a setting.

    as for the other poster, I have NEVER seen a bad driver or Gauss do what the
    OP says.

    HOPE -- Desire and expectation rolled into one.

    Kenny, Nov 7, 2005
  4. Robert11

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Kenny wrote:
    > there are many controls that are ON the monitor that control the
    > geometry of the image.
    > If you dont know how to use the control I would suggest you read the
    > manual, or if you no longer have it, find the manual online and learn
    > how to use the controls.
    > If whatever you do with the controls, the image does not fix, it
    > means its a hardware problem and not a setting.
    >
    > as for the other poster, I have NEVER seen a bad driver or Gauss do
    > what the OP says.

    Distortion in the monitor can frequently be caused by a magnetized CRT. If
    the degaussing circuits in the monitor have failed, you can get varying
    forms of distortion.

    And if you have a bad driver running in the wrong frequency you can get
    distortion as well. I've had the top of the screen roll over on itself
    upside down halfway down the screen. Changing the video driver cleared it
    right up.

    Try a bad video memory bank sometime and see what you get...it's truly
    amazing.

    > --
    >> Hello:
    >>
    >> Have a Sony Trinitron CRT monitor.
    >> About 7 yrs old now, I guess.
    >> Really like it.
    >>
    >> All is fine with it, but over the last week or two
    >> it shows a considerable amount of distortion in the upper inch or so
    >> of the display. Only in this inch; rest is perfect.
    >>
    >> Colors are fine, but if you, e.g., look at text, it looks as if in
    >> the horizontal
    >> the letters are "stretched".
    >>
    >> Any thoughts on this ?
    >>
    >> Any of the monitor controls to try to correct this ?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Bob

    like an idiot.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 7, 2005
  5. Robert11

    Kenny Guest

    I know very well what a magnetized screen looks like, also I know how bad
    drivers and bad refresh rates can distort a screen image. But all these do
    not look like what the OP says.

    I keep seeing people post the "check your video drivers" solution for ANY
    problem related with screen distortions.. and in my opinion that is wrong
    and misleading.

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Kenny wrote:
    >> there are many controls that are ON the monitor that control the
    >> geometry of the image.
    >> If you dont know how to use the control I would suggest you read the
    >> manual, or if you no longer have it, find the manual online and learn
    >> how to use the controls.
    >> If whatever you do with the controls, the image does not fix, it
    >> means its a hardware problem and not a setting.
    >>
    >> as for the other poster, I have NEVER seen a bad driver or Gauss do
    >> what the OP says.
    >>

    > Distortion in the monitor can frequently be caused by a magnetized CRT. If
    > the degaussing circuits in the monitor have failed, you can get varying
    > forms of distortion.
    >
    > And if you have a bad driver running in the wrong frequency you can get
    > distortion as well. I've had the top of the screen roll over on itself
    > upside down halfway down the screen. Changing the video driver cleared it
    > right up.
    >
    > Try a bad video memory bank sometime and see what you get...it's truly
    > amazing.
    >

    >> --
    >>> Hello:
    >>>
    >>> Have a Sony Trinitron CRT monitor.
    >>> About 7 yrs old now, I guess.
    >>> Really like it.
    >>>
    >>> All is fine with it, but over the last week or two
    >>> it shows a considerable amount of distortion in the upper inch or so
    >>> of the display. Only in this inch; rest is perfect.
    >>>
    >>> Colors are fine, but if you, e.g., look at text, it looks as if in
    >>> the horizontal
    >>> the letters are "stretched".
    >>>
    >>> Any thoughts on this ?
    >>>
    >>> Any of the monitor controls to try to correct this ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Bob

    Kenny, Nov 8, 2005
  6. Robert11

    DemoDisk Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hello:
    >
    > Have a Sony Trinitron CRT monitor.
    > About 7 yrs old now, I guess.
    > Really like it.
    >
    > All is fine with it, but over the last week or two
    > it shows a considerable amount of distortion in the upper inch or so
    > of the display. Only in this inch; rest is perfect.
    >
    > Colors are fine, but if you, e.g., look at text, it looks as if in the
    > horizontal
    > the letters are "stretched".
    >
    > Any thoughts on this ?
    >
    > Any of the monitor controls to try to correct this ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Here's something that may help you, if you can find a good repair shop.
    The place I went to totally screwed it up and I replaced it with a Dell
    1905FP. Then the motherboard went ... ohhh, nevermind.

    JPM
    =================
    DemoDisk
    Apr 8 2004, 1:58 am

    Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
    From: "DemoDisk"
    Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 02:57:39 -0500
    Subject: Hitachi SuperScan monitor displays odd "ribbon" across top of
    screen

    This is my first time posting here, and I hope this is the right place
    for
    this problem.

    An area about 2.5 cm at the top of my Win 98 desktop shows extra
    lines --
    white, gray, a few black -- just after starting. Icons in this area look
    stretched vertically and at the very top of the screen they look "folded
    back" on themselves. When I move the mouse pointer to its upward limit,
    before it stops it emerges again stretched and heading downward.

    The area spans the screen and used to shrink to about 4mm high after ten
    minutes or so. Lately I've noticed that it doesn't reduce as much (ie,
    problem getting worse?). If I shut the monitor off with Win98 running
    and
    then turn it on again, they're back.

    One odd thing is, the length of each successive line is a bit less than
    the
    one above it, so the ends of the "band" are angled inward. Also, the
    Win98
    splash screen doesn't show the lines during boot-up. Weird?

    I've been thinking maybe a reinforcing wire on the mask broke? Someone
    suggested a "broken sweep generator." I hope it's a software problem and
    not
    the monitor, but please tell me if you know what it is and what to do.
    Please help if you can. Thanks.

    Oh, and it's a Hitachi SuperScan Elite 751.

    JPM

    Jerry G.
    Apr 8 2004, 8:20 am

    Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
    From: "Jerry G."
    Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 09:59:18 -0400
    Subject: Re: Hitachi SuperScan monitor displays odd "ribbon" across top
    of screen

    Defective capacitors in the vertical amp section in the monitor are
    usually
    the normal cause of this. It is possible to have some semiconductor or
    other
    component failures to cause this, but not very often. If you continue
    use the monitor this way, there will be more damage, thus increasing the
    cost of the repair as usage goes on. Take the monitor to a service
    centre
    that is authorized to work on computer monitors. This type of repair
    should
    generally not be too expensive.

    After your monitor is properly serviced, it will work normally again.

    Jerry Greenberg
    DemoDisk, Nov 9, 2005
  7. Robert11

    DemoDisk Guest