    BTW, I'm on Mozilla Suite

    --
    /Arne

    Arne, Sep 2, 2004

  2. Arne

    Andreas Guest

    Arne wrote:

    > When I open the Compose window to post a message, the "To" is
    > automatically changed to "Newsgroup" on the top line. Then if I click on
    > the line under "Newsgroup" I can ad more newsgroups (or "To" etc.).
    >
    > I have not done this before, so I don't know how my message is sent to
    > the newsgroups. Is it crossposted or multiposted? I can also write in an
    > other newsgroup name on the first line, after the first that is
    > automatically inserted. What happens with sutch posting, is it
    > crossposted or multiposted?
    >
    > Because most people don't like multiposters, I like to be sure I do the
    > right thing, if I want to crosspost sometime :)
    >
    > BTW, I'm on Mozilla Suite

    Most people don't like multiposters OR crossposters.

    Andreas

    To contact me remove the NOSPAM

    Andreas, Sep 2, 2004

  3. Arne

    Arne Guest

    Andreas skrev 2004-09-02 19:47:

    > Arne wrote:
    >
    >> When I open the Compose window to post a message, the "To" is
    >> automatically changed to "Newsgroup" on the top line. Then if I click on
    >> the line under "Newsgroup" I can ad more newsgroups (or "To" etc.).
    >>
    >> I have not done this before, so I don't know how my message is sent to
    >> the newsgroups. Is it crossposted or multiposted? I can also write in an
    >> other newsgroup name on the first line, after the first that is
    >> automatically inserted. What happens with sutch posting, is it
    >> crossposted or multiposted?
    >>
    >> Because most people don't like multiposters, I like to be sure I do the
    >> right thing, if I want to crosspost sometime :)
    >>
    >> BTW, I'm on Mozilla Suite
    >>

    > Most people don't like multiposters OR crossposters.

    It may be so but people do and the question still stands. And I don't
    mind if someone crosspost to 2 or 3 groups, better even if there is a
    followup to one of the groups. That way I have find interest in
    subscribe to groups that I was'nt avare of :)

    An other reason for my question is that my Mozilla don't seem to mark
    messages as read in other groups, even if I have read them in one group.
    In the message header I can see that it's sent to more than one group,
    but not if it's crossposted. In IE that works fine.

    --
    /Arne

    Arne, Sep 2, 2004
  4. Arne

    Andreas Guest

    Arne wrote:

    > Andreas skrev 2004-09-02 19:47:
    >

    >>Arne wrote:
    >>

    >>>When I open the Compose window to post a message, the "To" is
    >>>automatically changed to "Newsgroup" on the top line. Then if I click on
    >>>the line under "Newsgroup" I can ad more newsgroups (or "To" etc.).
    >>>
    >>>I have not done this before, so I don't know how my message is sent to
    >>>the newsgroups. Is it crossposted or multiposted? I can also write in an
    >>>other newsgroup name on the first line, after the first that is
    >>>automatically inserted. What happens with sutch posting, is it
    >>>crossposted or multiposted?
    >>>
    >>>Because most people don't like multiposters, I like to be sure I do the
    >>>right thing, if I want to crosspost sometime :)
    >>>
    >>>BTW, I'm on Mozilla Suite
    >>>

    >>Most people don't like multiposters OR crossposters.
    >>

    > It may be so but people do and the question still stands. And I don't
    > mind if someone crosspost to 2 or 3 groups, better even if there is a
    > followup to one of the groups. That way I have find interest in
    > subscribe to groups that I was'nt avare of :)
    >
    > An other reason for my question is that my Mozilla don't seem to mark
    > messages as read in other groups, even if I have read them in one group.
    > In the message header I can see that it's sent to more than one group,
    > but not if it's crossposted. In IE that works fine.

    So, let me get this straight, you can read newsgroups and mail using IE.

    Andreas, Sep 2, 2004
  5. Arne

    Brian Guest

    Arne wrote:
    > When I open the Compose window to post a message, the "To" is
    > automatically changed to "Newsgroup" on the top line. Then if I click on
    > the line under "Newsgroup" I can ad more newsgroups (or "To" etc.).

    The "To" line is set to "Newsgroup" if you are currently viewing a
    newsgroup. You are able to change it to anything you want.

    > I have not done this before, so I don't know how my message is sent to
    > the newsgroups. Is it crossposted or multiposted? I can also write in an
    > other newsgroup name on the first line, after the first that is
    > automatically inserted. What happens with sutch posting, is it
    > crossposted or multiposted?

    Setting multiple newsgroups in one message will crosspost it.
    Multiposting is sending _multiple_ messages to multiple groups;
    crossposting sends _one_ message to multiple groups at the same time.

    > Because most people don't like multiposters, I like to be sure I do the
    > right thing, if I want to crosspost sometime :)

    Generally, I think you will see comments from people whether you
    multipost *or* crosspost. They need something to bitch about, and you
    are going to be a target. Personally I don't care how many groups you
    send the message to, as long as it's on topic.

    However, if you are going to crosspost, I think its a good idea to set
    the "Follow-up To" line with the most relevant or the group that is most
    on-topic with your post. This will send all replies to the group you
    specified. Just be sure to mention it in your message.
    --
    Brian

    Email Info--
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

    Brian, Sep 2, 2004
  6. Arne

    Arne Guest

    Andreas skrev 2004-09-02 21:48:

    > Arne wrote:
    >
    >> Andreas skrev 2004-09-02 19:47:

    >>>Most people don't like multiposters OR crossposters.
    >>>

    >> It may be so but people do and the question still stands. And I don't
    >> mind if someone crosspost to 2 or 3 groups, better even if there is a
    >> followup to one of the groups. That way I have find interest in
    >> subscribe to groups that I was'nt avare of :)
    >>
    >> An other reason for my question is that my Mozilla don't seem to mark
    >> messages as read in other groups, even if I have read them in one group.
    >> In the message header I can see that it's sent to more than one group,
    >> but not if it's crossposted. In IE that works fine.
    >>

    > So, let me get this straight, you can read newsgroups and mail using IE.

    What's the matter with you today? Do you have a bad day for some reason?
    I have read many good post from you with answers to questions and
    helpful tips to others who posted questions. So why that attitude
    against me?

    I don't use IE any moore, btw IE is just a browser and the
    mail/newsreader is OE. I prefer Mozilla for many reasons, but still can
    have thougts about some things that I belive could make it even better.

    Still, this thing about Mozilla don't "read" marking crossposted
    messages is not that big that it makes me go back to OE and need you to
    post "non answers".

    Hope the day gets better for you.

    --
    /Arne

    Arne, Sep 2, 2004
  7. Arne

    Arne Guest

    Brian skrev 2004-09-02 21:58:

    Thank's Brian for your answer!

    > Arne wrote:
    >
    >> I have not done this before, so I don't know how my message is sent to
    >> the newsgroups. Is it crossposted or multiposted? I can also write in an
    >> other newsgroup name on the first line, after the first that is
    >> automatically inserted. What happens with sutch posting, is it
    >> crossposted or multiposted?

    > Setting multiple newsgroups in one message will crosspost it.
    > Multiposting is sending _multiple_ messages to multiple groups;
    > crossposting sends _one_ message to multiple groups at the same time.

    Do you mean by that several groups on the same (first) line where I can
    see four lines where addresses can be set? Like this:

    |--------------|----------------------|
    | * Newsgroup: |newsgroup1;newsgroup2 |
    |--------------|----------------------|

    As I see it, its still one message to several groups if I set one group
    on line 1, an other on line 2 and so on. Like this:

    |--------------|----------------------|
    | * Newsgroup: |newsgroup1 |
    |--------------|----------------------|
    | * Newsgroup: |newsgroup2 |
    |--------------|----------------------|

    >> Because most people don't like multiposters, I like to be sure I do the
    >> right thing, if I want to crosspost sometime :)

    > Generally, I think you will see comments from people whether you
    > multipost *or* crosspost. They need something to bitch about, and you
    > are going to be a target. Personally I don't care how many groups you
    > send the message to, as long as it's on topic.

    Yeah, I have notice that sometime. But far more complaints goes to
    people who multipost and advice them to crosspost next time :)

    > However, if you are going to crosspost, I think its a good idea to set
    > the "Follow-up To" line with the most relevant or the group that is most
    > on-topic with your post. This will send all replies to the group you
    > specified. Just be sure to mention it in your message.

    I have no need to do it at the moment. Just wanted to know for sure, if
    I want to do it sometime. And certanly I'll do a Followup :)

    But mostly I want try to see if it's possible to see with Mozilla (Suit)
    what is crossposted and what is not, since it seems like I can't get the
    messages marked as read even if they may be crossposted. Or is it
    possible in a way I have not notice?

    --
    /Arne

    Arne, Sep 2, 2004
  8. Arne,

    Cross posting is generally more acceptable than multiposting. It makes it
    easier to consolidate all the answers.

    Rarely will a message be relevant to more than two or three NGs. Be sure
    to specify a follow-up group.

    When I read a multi-posted or cross-posted message, I get out my flame and
    troll detectors. A bad case in recent memory was when a person posted to
    alt.religion.christian.biblestudy and alt.origins.earth about evolution
    and the big bang. Obviously the post was meant to create a flame war.

    HTH,
    La'ie Techie

    =?UTF-8?b?TMSByrtpZSBUZWNoaWU=?=, Sep 2, 2004
  9. Arne

    Andreas Guest

    Arne wrote:

    > Andreas skrev 2004-09-02 21:48:
    >

    >>Arne wrote:

    >>>It may be so but people do and the question still stands. And I don't
    >>>mind if someone crosspost to 2 or 3 groups, better even if there is a
    >>>followup to one of the groups. That way I have find interest in
    >>>subscribe to groups that I was'nt avare of :)
    >>>
    >>>An other reason for my question is that my Mozilla don't seem to mark
    >>>messages as read in other groups, even if I have read them in one group.
    >>>In the message header I can see that it's sent to more than one group,
    >>>but not if it's crossposted. In IE that works fine.
    >>>

    >>So, let me get this straight, you can read newsgroups and mail using IE.

    > What's the matter with you today? Do you have a bad day for some reason?
    > I have read many good post from you with answers to questions and
    > helpful tips to others who posted questions. So why that attitude
    > against me?
    >
    > I don't use IE any moore, btw IE is just a browser and the
    > mail/newsreader is OE. I prefer Mozilla for many reasons, but still can
    > have thougts about some things that I belive could make it even better.
    >
    > Still, this thing about Mozilla don't "read" marking crossposted
    > messages is not that big that it makes me go back to OE and need you to
    > post "non answers".
    >
    > Hope the day gets better for you.

    On the contrary. In your first message you said, "most people don't
    like multiposters." I responded to that with, "Most people don't like
    multiposters OR crossposters." You responded to that by going out in
    left field and started talking about using Mozilla Mail to view your
    email and newsgroups. Then you said, "In IE that works fine." I just
    responded by asking how you can read email and newsgroups using IE.

    Andreas, Sep 3, 2004
  10. Arne

    Brian Guest

    (On 9/2/2004 5:22 PM) LÄÊ»ie Techie wrote:

    > When I read a multi-posted or cross-posted message, I get out my flame and
    > troll detectors. A bad case in recent memory was when a person posted to
    > alt.religion.christian.biblestudy and alt.origins.earth about evolution
    > and the big bang. Obviously the post was meant to create a flame war.

    LOL. I can only imagine how long that thread was!

    Brian, Sep 3, 2004
  11. Arne

    Arne Guest

    Andreas skrev 2004-09-03 03:48:
    > Arne wrote:
    >

    >> What's the matter with you today? Do you have a bad day for some reason?
    >> I have read many good post from you with answers to questions and
    >> helpful tips to others who posted questions. So why that attitude
    >> against me?
    >>
    >> I don't use IE any moore, btw IE is just a browser and the
    >> mail/newsreader is OE. I prefer Mozilla for many reasons, but still can
    >> have thougts about some things that I belive could make it even better.
    >>
    >> Still, this thing about Mozilla don't "read" marking crossposted
    >> messages is not that big that it makes me go back to OE and need you to
    >> post "non answers".
    >>
    >> Hope the day gets better for you.
    >>

    > On the contrary. In your first message you said, "most people don't
    > like multiposters." I responded to that with, "Most people don't like
    > multiposters OR crossposters." You responded to that by going out in
    > left field and started talking about using Mozilla Mail to view your
    > email and newsgroups. Then you said, "In IE that works fine." I just
    > responded by asking how you can read email and newsgroups using IE.

    So, from a message with 10 lines, where several sentences where had a
    question mark (because they where questions I like to get answers to)
    you comment only the two last lines about something I made just as a
    remark about.

    Maybee I have problems with make my self clear, because English is not
    my native language and I'm an old man. But I try to do my best.

    If the remark was wrong in your opinion, fine, you can comment that. But
    I would understand the comment only if you also anwered or comment my
    questions also, if you can, as Brian did. If you can't, just say so.

    "In IE that works fine" was just a way to say how I would like it to
    work in Mozilla, not a reason for you to "advice" me (straight) to use
    IE/OE. That don't answer my questions either.

    So, do you know how I can separate multiposted messages from crossposted
    ones, in Mozilla?

    --
    /Arne

    Arne, Sep 3, 2004
  12. Arne

    Arne Guest

    LÄÊ»ie Techie skrev 2004-09-02 23:22:

    > Arne,
    >
    > Cross posting is generally more acceptable than multiposting. It makes it
    > easier to consolidate all the answers.
    >
    > Rarely will a message be relevant to more than two or three NGs. Be sure
    > to specify a follow-up group.
    >
    > When I read a multi-posted or cross-posted message, I get out my flame and
    > troll detectors. A bad case in recent memory was when a person posted to
    > alt.religion.christian.biblestudy and alt.origins.earth about evolution
    > and the big bang. Obviously the post was meant to create a flame war.

    I guess sutch make many to dislike crossposters. I don't have the same
    "experiences" from cross or multiposting as flame and troll posting.

    In Scandinavia where I live, we have similar groups in Sweden, Norway
    and Denmark, and sometime we like involve our neighbours to a discussion
    by crossposting to their similar groups. That was the case for example
    this summer, when the Soccer World Cup was going on in Portugal.

    --
    /Arne

    Arne, Sep 3, 2004
  13. Arne

    Mike Guest

    Arne wrote:

    > An other reason for my question is that my Mozilla don't seem to mark
    > messages as read in other groups, even if I have read them in one group.

    I've noticed this too and would be interested in learning about a fix for it.

    Mike, Sep 3, 2004
  14. Arne

    Quivis Guest

    In article <4s%Zc.311542$gE.224838@pd7tw3no>, says...

    > I've noticed this too and would be interested in learning about a fix for it.

    You could always try Gravity... ;-) <ducking for cover>

    Q.

    Quivis, Sep 4, 2004
  15. Arne

    Lawr Guest

    In article <MPG.1ba315f1ea9838f39899c4@207.14.113.17>,
    t says...
    > In article <4s%Zc.311542$gE.224838@pd7tw3no>, says...
    >
    > > I've noticed this too and would be interested in learning about a fix for it.

    > You could always try Gravity... ;-) <ducking for cover>
    >

    > Q.

    Nah don't duck. Gravity is my friend and will be until I find something
    like it and better.

    Lawr, Sep 4, 2004
  16. Arne

    Arne Guest

    Mike skrev 2004-09-03 16:45:
    > Arne wrote:
    >

    >> An other reason for my question is that my Mozilla don't seem to mark
    >> messages as read in other groups, even if I have read them in one group.

    > I've noticed this too and would be interested in learning about a fix for it.

    I find this bug report so hopfully they will come up with something
    soon, since they have "worked" with it for four years now.

    http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43278

    --
    /Arne

    Arne, Sep 4, 2004
  17. Arne

    Quivis Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Nah don't duck. Gravity is my friend and will be until I find something
    > like it and better.

    Yeah, I just read your headers. It seems you're using a pretty old
    version. Any particular reason for that? 2.60 is more stable than 2.50,
    and it has a few extra features.

    Q.

    Quivis, Sep 4, 2004