    addressed.

    Thanks
    Bob

    Leanin' Cedar, Jan 15, 2006

  2. Leanin' Cedar

    Malke Guest

    Leanin' Cedar wrote:

    > I have two computers connected with crossover cable, internet sharing,
    > printer, and file sharing all setup on the client laptop.
    >
    > I also have a linksys WRT54GC broadband router that I am not using. Is
    > there a possibility of using this to have a wireless network. The
    > laptop has wireless built in.
    >
    > Probably a stupid question but would the crossover cable I now have to
    > the laptop work for wireless with the router?
    >
    > Totally new to this and have done a lot of google but did not see this
    > addressed.

    Remove the crossover cable and Internet Connection Sharing on both
    computers. Set up your Linksys and follow the instructions to install
    it. You will use straight-through ethernet cat5e cable instead of the
    crossover. The Linksys has one ethernet cable to connect one of the
    computers wired to it. You will not need another ethernet cable since
    you'll be using a wireless network connection for the other computer.

    Here are links to help you:

    Linksys Learning Center - http://tinyurl.com/8ka4w

    Wireless - Basic Configuration -

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Jan 15, 2006

  3. "Malke" <> wrote in message
    > Leanin' Cedar wrote:
    >
    >> I have two computers connected with crossover cable, internet sharing,
    >> printer, and file sharing all setup on the client laptop.
    >>
    >> I also have a linksys WRT54GC broadband router that I am not using. Is
    >> there a possibility of using this to have a wireless network. The
    >> laptop has wireless built in.
    >>
    >> Probably a stupid question but would the crossover cable I now have to
    >> the laptop work for wireless with the router?
    >>
    >> Totally new to this and have done a lot of google but did not see this
    >> addressed.

    > Remove the crossover cable and Internet Connection Sharing on both
    > computers. Set up your Linksys and follow the instructions to install
    > it. You will use straight-through ethernet cat5e cable instead of the
    > crossover. The Linksys has one ethernet cable to connect one of the
    > computers wired to it. You will not need another ethernet cable since
    > you'll be using a wireless network connection for the other computer.
    >
    > Here are links to help you:
    >
    > Linksys Learning Center - http://tinyurl.com/8ka4w
    >
    > Wireless - Basic Configuration -
    > http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    > Wireless - Basic Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    > MVP Barb Bowman on wireless security - http://tinyurl.com/56fc5
    >
    > http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm
    > http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/myths.htm
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic"

    Thanks for the reply and the links.
    A great project for a Sunday afternoon.

    Bob

    Leanin' Cedar, Jan 15, 2006
  4. "Malke" <> wrote in message
    > Remove the crossover cable and Internet Connection Sharing on both
    > computers. Set up your Linksys and follow the instructions to install
    > it. You will use straight-through ethernet cat5e cable instead of the
    > crossover. The Linksys has one ethernet cable to connect one of the
    > computers wired to it. You will not need another ethernet cable since
    > you'll be using a wireless network connection for the other computer.
    >
    > Here are links to help you:
    >
    > Linksys Learning Center - http://tinyurl.com/8ka4w
    >
    > Wireless - Basic Configuration -
    > http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    > Wireless - Basic Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    > MVP Barb Bowman on wireless security - http://tinyurl.com/56fc5
    >
    > http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm
    > http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/myths.htm
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic"

    I forgot to mention one crucial detail (sorry) I am on dialup only. However
    I did get the wireless to work to the laptop with the Linksys router by
    using host ethernet cable to one of the ethernet ports on the router, but am
    still working on the internet connection from the client.

    Bob

    Leanin' Cedar, Jan 16, 2006
  5. Leanin' Cedar

    Malke Guest

    Leanin' Cedar wrote:

    > I forgot to mention one crucial detail (sorry) I am on dialup only.
    > However I did get the wireless to work to the laptop with the Linksys
    > router by using host ethernet cable to one of the ethernet ports on
    > the router, but am still working on the internet connection from the
    > client.

    The crucial detail was indeed crucial and the most important detail of
    your whole setup! The information I gave you had nothing to do with
    dialup. Here's a link that may help:

    http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html

    Malke

    Malke, Jan 16, 2006
  6. "Malke" <> wrote in message
    > The crucial detail was indeed crucial and the most important detail of
    > your whole setup! The information I gave you had nothing to do with
    > dialup. Here's a link that may help:
    >
    > http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic"

    Thanks for the hand holding. I did get everything working with a crossover
    cable and a proxy server. Never could get ICS working on the two XPHome
    machines thus the AnalogX proxy server. Got file sharing, printer sharing
    and dialup.

    With the host(desktop) connected directly to the linksys router with an
    ethernet cable, I can do file sharing and printer sharing with the
    client(laptop) but I am not sure sharing the dialup is possible this way.

    I never could get the linksys setup with the disc, it could never find a
    "broadband" internet connection. It did try to connect a couple of times
    with the dialup modem, but no success.

    Of course this appears to be an unsecured wireless network, but living in
    the sticks with no neighbors and not on the highway I guess for now it is
    OK. Binding is on for the proxy server.

    What a great learning experience for a Senior Citizen. LOL
    Bob

    Leanin' Cedar, Jan 16, 2006
  7. "Leanin' Cedar" <> wrote in message
    >I have two computers connected with crossover cable, internet sharing,
    >printer, and file sharing all setup on the client laptop.
    >
    > I also have a linksys WRT54GC broadband router that I am not using. Is
    > there a possibility of using this to have a wireless network. The laptop
    > has wireless built in.
    >
    > Probably a stupid question but would the crossover cable I now have to the
    > laptop work for wireless with the router?
    >
    > Totally new to this and have done a lot of google but did not see this
    > addressed.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Bob

    Got it solved using the AnalogX proxy server, and it was ZoneAlarm that was
    holding me up. Got ZA configured correctly for the network and now have
    wireless dialup sharing with the Linksys router.

    Now for a couple of aspirins or stiff drinks.LOL

    Bob

    Leanin' Cedar, Jan 16, 2006