    I have a spare crossover cable so if I can use it instead of buying a direct
    cable, it would be a saving.

    TIA

    Vista, Jun 9, 2006

  2. Vista wrote:
    > Anyone know if it is possible to use a crossover cable to connect a computer
    > to a Router/ADSL modem, instead of a normal direct ethernet cable. My router
    > is the US Robotics Model 9108 http://www.usr.co.nz/support.htm#usr9108 (damn
    > good product) .
    > I have a spare crossover cable so if I can use it instead of buying a direct
    > cable, it would be a saving.
    >
    > TIA

    sorry, but no.. that defeats the purpose of it being a crossover cable...

    Andrew Lambert, Jun 9, 2006

  3. On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 18:42:55 +1200, Vista <> wrote in

    > Anyone know if it is possible to use a crossover cable to connect a computer
    > to a Router/ADSL modem, instead of a normal direct ethernet cable. My router
    > is the US Robotics Model 9108 http://www.usr.co.nz/support.htm#usr9108 (damn
    > good product) .
    > I have a spare crossover cable so if I can use it instead of buying a direct
    > cable, it would be a saving.
    >
    > TIA

    You should find the answer in your modem/router's manual. My modem/router
    (single port Billion BIPAC 7100S) mandates a crossover cable if it is
    being connected directly to the PC's ethernet port, or a straight cable if
    it is being connected to a network hub. Your mileage may well vary. Look
    it up and be sure - it won't work if you get it wrong.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    Pricelessware 2006 CD now available.
    E-Mail for details: raptor740.gmail@com (swap "." and "@")

    .... We are born naked, wet and hungry, and get slapped on our butt. After
    that, things just get worse.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jun 9, 2006
  4. Vista

    Rebel Guest

    Andrew Lambert wrote:

    > Vista wrote:
    >> Anyone know if it is possible to use a crossover cable to connect a
    >> computer to a Router/ADSL modem, instead of a normal direct ethernet
    >> cable. My router is the US Robotics Model 9108
    >> http://www.usr.co.nz/support.htm#usr9108 (damn good product) .
    >> I have a spare crossover cable so if I can use it instead of buying a
    >> direct cable, it would be a saving.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>

    > sorry, but no.. that defeats the purpose of it being a crossover cable...

    Depends on the router some support it , some don't the DSL 504G does for
    instance. Look up the manual, it will tell you if yours does.

    Rebel, Jun 9, 2006
  5. On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 19:12:49 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins <>
    wrote in <news:1h4d1hea1g9sj$>:

    > On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 18:42:55 +1200, Vista <> wrote in
    >
    >> Anyone know if it is possible to use a crossover cable to connect a computer
    >> to a Router/ADSL modem, instead of a normal direct ethernet cable. My router
    >> is the US Robotics Model 9108 http://www.usr.co.nz/support.htm#usr9108 (damn
    >> good product) .
    >> I have a spare crossover cable so if I can use it instead of buying a direct
    >> cable, it would be a saving.
    >>
    >> TIA

    > You should find the answer in your modem/router's manual. My modem/router
    > (single port Billion BIPAC 7100S) mandates a crossover cable if it is
    > being connected directly to the PC's ethernet port, or a straight cable if
    > it is being connected to a network hub. Your mileage may well vary. Look
    > it up and be sure - it won't work if you get it wrong.

    Further to my previous post (I don't usually talk to myself, honest!), I
    have just looked up the URL you posted, and it lists the USR 9108 as a
    WIRELESS modem ... so who's kidding whom here?

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    Pricelessware 2006 CD now available.
    E-Mail for details: raptor740.gmail@com (swap "." and "@")

    .... Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jun 9, 2006
  6. > a crossover cable if it is
    > being connected directly to the PC's ethernet port, or a straight cable if
    > it is being connected to a network hub. Your mileage may well vary. Look
    > it up and be sure - it won't work if you get it wrong.

    I could be wrong, but don't you mean the other way around?

    i.e. A straight through for connection of PC to router, and a cross
    over if you're plugging a hub into the router.

    In essence, this would mean the answer is no to the original question,
    in that unless a hub is used, the crossover cable isn't an option here.

    I'm not sure why one would avoid purchasing a straight through cable
    anyway, they're only a few dollars. Don't buy from Dick Smith
    Electronics is all I can say unless you want to pay the most anyone
    charges (assuming cost is the deterring factor for you in the first
    place for purchasing the addtional cable). Should be able to get a 1 or
    3 meter cable for under $10.

    file.dumping.ground, Jun 9, 2006

  7. > Further to my previous post (I don't usually talk to myself, honest!), I
    > have just looked up the URL you posted, and it lists the USR 9108 as a
    > WIRELESS modem ... so who's kidding whom here?

    Perhaps for the initial config? :)

    file.dumping.ground, Jun 9, 2006
  8. T'was the Fri, 9 Jun 2006 19:12:49 +1200 when I remembered Nicolaas
    Hawkins <> saying something like this:

    >My modem/router
    >(single port Billion BIPAC 7100S) mandates a crossover cable if it is
    >being connected directly to the PC's ethernet port

    Really really? I believe I have the same model and I always used to
    connect it straight to the network card with a normal cable and it
    working. Then again, I could be confused.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Jun 9, 2006

  9. > Really really? I believe I have the same model and I always used to
    > connect it straight to the network card with a normal cable and it
    > working. Then again, I could be confused.

    It's cool... just for clarification, I'm not being a smart ass here,
    just trying to help this guy. I believe he said he had a cross over but
    didn't want to buy a standard cable. So without the standard cable (or
    no hub - in any case he would still require a straight through to
    connect to that), then he's not going to get far. By all means correct
    me if I'm wrong. I could be; I have used both configurations before,
    though it was some time ago.

    file.dumping.ground, Jun 9, 2006
  10. Vista

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > Anyone know if it is possible to use a crossover cable to connect a computer
    > to a Router/ADSL modem, instead of a normal direct ethernet cable. My router
    > is the US Robotics Model 9108 http://www.usr.co.nz/support.htm#usr9108 (damn
    > good product) .
    > I have a spare crossover cable so if I can use it instead of buying a direct
    > cable, it would be a saving.

    Plug it in and see if it works!

    Some ports are autosensing and will deal with some crossover cables
    anyway AFAIK.

    -=rjh=-, Jun 9, 2006

  11. > Plug it in and see if it works!

    > Some ports are autosensing and will deal with some crossover cables
    > anyway AFAIK.

    Yeah, was just going to add that both are useful, and even if it just
    sits there gathering dust, they're that cheap that it shouldn't really
    matter. Put it on trade me if you don't end up needing it :) Or borrow
    one to try it.

    file.dumping.ground, Jun 9, 2006
  12. On 9 Jun 2006 02:14:08 -0700, "file.dumping.ground"
    <> wrote in

    >> a crossover cable if it is
    >> being connected directly to the PC's ethernet port, or a straight cable if
    >> it is being connected to a network hub. Your mileage may well vary. Look
    >> it up and be sure - it won't work if you get it wrong.

    > I could be wrong, but don't you mean the other way around?

    No - see below.

    > i.e. A straight through for connection of PC to router, and a cross
    > over if you're plugging a hub into the router.
    >
    > In essence, this would mean the answer is no to the original question,
    > in that unless a hub is used, the crossover cable isn't an option here.
    >
    > I'm not sure why one would avoid purchasing a straight through cable
    > anyway, they're only a few dollars. Don't buy from Dick Smith
    > Electronics is all I can say unless you want to pay the most anyone
    > charges (assuming cost is the deterring factor for you in the first
    > place for purchasing the addtional cable). Should be able to get a 1 or
    > 3 meter cable for under $10.

    Permit me to quote from page 5 of the User Manual:

    <q>
    2.4 Cabling

    Through Ethernet Port

    The product's LAN port is wired just like a Network Adaptor's port. From
    the product directly to a PC, the cable should be an Ethernet crossover
    cable. From the product to a hub or switch, the cable should be an
    Ethernet straight through cable to a normal hub/switch port, or an
    Ethernet crossover cable to an uplink port.
    </q>

    I don't usually spout off without being sure of my facts.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    Pricelessware 2006 CD now available.
    E-Mail for details: raptor740.gmail@com (swap "." and "@")

    .... You can be whatever you are. You are whatever you dream

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jun 9, 2006

  13. > Through Ethernet Port

    > The product's LAN port is wired just like a Network Adaptor's port. From
    > the product directly to a PC, the cable should be an Ethernet crossover
    > cable. From the product to a hub or switch, the cable should be an
    > Ethernet straight through cable to a normal hub/switch port, or an
    > Ethernet crossover cable to an uplink port.
    >
    > I don't usually spout off without being sure of my facts.

    I'm sure you don't, and nor do I without adding "I'm not certain" or
    something like that :)

    Anyway, that's all very interesting... and thank you. I've double
    checked my existing configuration which is Router to NIC and it's a
    straight through, so each bit of hardware is potentially different.
    Supports the idea that having both is a good idea.

    Anyway, thanks again, and hope this all helps you Vista.

    file.dumping.ground, Jun 9, 2006
  14. On 9 Jun 2006 03:16:58 -0700, "file.dumping.ground"
    <> wrote in

    >> Through Ethernet Port
    >>
    >> The product's LAN port is wired just like a Network Adaptor's port. From
    >> the product directly to a PC, the cable should be an Ethernet crossover
    >> cable. From the product to a hub or switch, the cable should be an
    >> Ethernet straight through cable to a normal hub/switch port, or an
    >> Ethernet crossover cable to an uplink port.
    >>
    >> I don't usually spout off without being sure of my facts.

    > I'm sure you don't, and nor do I without adding "I'm not certain" or
    > something like that :)
    >
    > Anyway, that's all very interesting... and thank you. I've double
    > checked my existing configuration which is Router to NIC and it's a
    > straight through, so each bit of hardware is potentially different.
    > Supports the idea that having both is a good idea.
    >
    > Anyway, thanks again, and hope this all helps you Vista.

    I think all that we've really done to help Vista is to confirm that (s)he
    should RTFM! :)

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    Pricelessware 2006 CD now available.
    E-Mail for details: raptor740.gmail@com (swap "." and "@")

    .... Home is where the 127.0.0.1 is.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jun 9, 2006

  15. > I think all that we've really done to help Vista is to confirm that (s)he
    > should RTFM! :)

    There are indeed many fine manuals out there. :) Some leave a lot to be
    desired though. I've seen some crackers in my time! Some absolutely
    halarious ones. :) Engrish rules yeah! :)

    file.dumping.ground, Jun 9, 2006
  16. On 9 Jun 2006 13:30:03 -0700, "file.dumping.ground"
    <> wrote in

    >> I think all that we've really done to help Vista is to confirm that (s)he
    >> should RTFM! :)

    > There are indeed many fine manuals out there. :) Some leave a lot to be
    > desired though. I've seen some crackers in my time! Some absolutely
    > halarious ones. :) Engrish rules yeah! :)

    Oh yes, indeed! Mind you, they are vastly better than some of the
    Engranese and Chinish ones we had to contend with 15-20 years ago; the one
    I have for the modem is even written in the next best language to English:
    American. Still not English, but many of the words are sufficiently
    similar that one can (mostly) make sense of it. :-^)

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    Pricelessware 2006 CD now available.
    E-Mail for details: raptor740.gmail@com (swap "." and "@")

    .... A good pun is its own reword.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jun 9, 2006
  17. Vista

    XPD Guest

    "Vista" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone know if it is possible to use a crossover cable to connect a
    > computer to a Router/ADSL modem, instead of a normal direct ethernet
    > cable. My router is the US Robotics Model 9108
    > http://www.usr.co.nz/support.htm#usr9108 (damn good product) .
    > I have a spare crossover cable so if I can use it instead of buying a
    > direct cable, it would be a saving.

    Some switches in routers are intelligent enough to use one.......

    XPD, Jun 9, 2006

  18. > Some switches in routers are intelligent enough to use one.......

    Yep, someone already pointed that out. Glad they did as it was a fact I
    wasn't aware of until then.

    file.dumping.ground, Jun 10, 2006
  19. In <> Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Fri, 9 Jun 2006 19:12:49 +1200 when I remembered Nicolaas
    > Hawkins <> saying something like this:
    >
    >>My modem/router
    >>(single port Billion BIPAC 7100S) mandates a crossover cable if it is
    >>being connected directly to the PC's ethernet port

    > Really really? I believe I have the same model and I always used to
    > connect it straight to the network card with a normal cable and it
    > working. Then again, I could be confused.

    A couple of reasons why the 'wrong' cable could work:

    Only one end has to have auto crossover, so if the computer end has a
    port with auto MDI/MDX then either type of cable would still work to the
    router.

    The manual could be wrong. For example I used to connect my old computer
    to an even older computer with a straight cable, but according to all
    the documentation neither computer had auto crossover. Possibly the
    manufacturer ran out of the original Ethernet controller chip and
    substituted a later version with auto crossover. Not that I was
    complaining or anything.

    --
    * Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    * PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac

    Roger Johnstone, Jun 10, 2006
  20. Vista

    Vista Guest

    "Vista" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone know if it is possible to use a crossover cable to connect a
    > computer to a Router/ADSL modem, instead of a normal direct ethernet
    > cable. My router is the US Robotics Model 9108
    > http://www.usr.co.nz/support.htm#usr9108 (damn good product) .
    > I have a spare crossover cable so if I can use it instead of buying a
    > direct cable, it would be a saving.
    >
    > TIA

    Thanks everyone, I have tried plugin it in and it does work which is great.
    It is a wireless router, as well as having 4 ethernet ports, I wanted to
    plug in an old computer which is located next to the router, so there was no
    point in connecting it wirelessly. I use the wireless for connecting from my
    laptop. I was willing to buy a direct cable, but thought that if I could use
    a cable I already had, it would be a small saving and mean that I wouldn't
    have another redundant cable laying around.

    Vista, Jun 10, 2006